• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well that kinda makes my point. Looking at a picture and not knowing a person is transgender might evoke a particular attraction. If the knowledge that this person is transgender changes that attraction, that does not make a person transphobic or prejudiced like some people in this thread are claiming. The biology matters, as does the sexual identity.
Please elaborate on biology

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Not dating someone because of them being larger-bodied isn't even a one-to-one for not dating someone for being trans as well...

I was focusing on how he lost the INVISIBLE FACTOR of the message he was quoting... So someone who WAS date was the only way I imagine to make fat an invisible factor =P

There's really no race that I wouldn't be attracted to but I can kind of understand how others might have preferences in their attraction and I don't think that's inherently wrong if it's not out of hatred. The truth is people can't pick and choose what they are attracted to.

Like I said, I can't say what exactly would happen if I was propositioned with dating a trans person. I'd like to think I could flow with it OK but what if simply knowing someone wasn't born as X sex makes it so that I can't get sexually aroused? Obviously this is a hypothetical but I don't think I should necessarily be responsible for what my animal biology drives me towards. For example I have a fetish I'm not exactly proud of but it's not like I can wish it away :P

I don't think an attraction or non-attraction that you have absolutely no say in needs to be rationalized at all, never mind in a way involving some kind of hatred that's not there.

1- just greatgranddad. Person look 200% white

2- sexual preference is not rooted that much on biology as it is on society, just look how far some of past's muses looked in older paintings. Being fat was a sign of richness and that was attractive.
So society being transphobic does play a role in people's attraction. And knowing is half the battle

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Someone who's into *insert thing* but wants to keep it a secret is insecure."

No shit?

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry I didn't fast enough since you quoted a post prior to my edit. What I'm saying is that, if a woman wants a child and is infertile and wants a child, then shouldn't her partner and her make the decision to go through a surrogate or adopt a child?
Oh well that I agree with haha.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that kinda makes my point. Looking at a picture and not knowing a person is transgender might evoke a particular attraction. If the knowledge that this person is transgender changes that attraction, that does not make a person transphobic or prejudiced like some people in this thread are claiming. The biology matters, as does the sexual identity.

That absolutely makes you transphobic. The knowledge that the person is trans is literally what makes you not attracted to them anymore. And you think we should be banned and warned for telling you the truth? Bannable or not, I'm going to call you and everyone else out on this every single thread. Just because you don't want it to be transphobic doesn't mean its not.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Please elaborate on biology

I'm guessing it's based on attraction not meaning just "wow they're hot". When some people attracted to someone they want to date they might look at things like "are they a good worker" "can they provide for me" "do we have anything in common" "would that person be a good parent" "can I see myself raising kids with them"

No, that is definitely a phobia, fat or otherwise

I don't see how not wanting to date a fat person can be considered a phobia.

Last edited:

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well that kinda makes my point. Looking at a picture and not knowing a person is transgender might evoke a particular attraction. If the knowledge that this person is transgender changes that hyattraction, that does not make a person transphobic or prejudiced like some people in this thread are claiming. The biology matters, as does the sexual identity.
Why? If you thought she was a woman you were attracted to, why would that change your attraction?

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm guessing it's based on attraction not meaning just "wow they're hot". When some people attracted to someone they want to date they might look at things like "are they a good worker" "can they provide for me" "do we have anything in common" "would that person be a good parent" "can I see myself raising kids with them"
but...none of those things are biological

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm missing a step here, but what about having the knowledge suddenly changes the attraction?
The biological component of sexuality and sexual attraction.

Sexuality is made up of myriad factors from sex to gender to the hip/waist ratio or skull circumference.

Trans men are men. Trans women are women, period. However the assigned genetic sex of a potential mate can be one of those factors, even if subconsciously. It is simply false to deny that and to claim that anyone who acknowledges such is transphobic.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So society being transphobic does play a role in people's attraction. And knowing is half the battle
It's a good point and there is definitely some truth there, but just think about how many taboo attractions there are in today's societies(for good reason) like children and animals. Just because society is vehemently against pedophilia does not mean pedophiles can just turn off what they are naturally attracted to. You can only control your actions, you cannot control what your body chemistry is lighting up for.

Obviously I'm not conflating being attracted to trans people with being attracted to children, I'm just saying that in many cases your attractions have very little to do with what society deems appropriate or not appropriate.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

theres a trans person out there that checks all those boxes for you, except maybe the last one? you tell me

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New title still doesn't really represent the article accurately, in my opinion.

The title implies that not wanting to date a trans woman while sleeping with one makes you insecure, which is seemingly a sex-negative attitude.
You should be able to have consensual sex with anyone you want without feeling obligated to commit. Sex isn't a pair of handcuffs.

The actual article is more about straight men who are ashamed of being interested in trans women. Which, while I agree is insecure, I also think in some cases is probably not 100% that person's fault. Society's enforcement of toxic masculinity is certainly a factor in some cases, and can be difficult to break out of for some.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Sexuality is made up of myriad factors from sex to gender to the hip/waist ratio or skull circumference.

Trans men are men. Trans women are women, period. However the assigned genetic sex of a potential mate can be one of those factors, even if subconsciously. It is simply false to deny that and to claim that anyone who acknowledges such is transphobic.
Right, but you're referring to things that are already known based on your initial attraction. The original sex of the person isn't visible; I just don't see how it suddenly changes the equation.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why saying you would never date a trans woman because of biological children a shitty argument.
Specially because it implies that all trans women are non passing
I don't think it implies that at all. I'm rather confused how you jumped to that conclusion?

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but you're referring to things that are already known based on your initial attraction. The original sex of the person isn't visible; I just don't see how it suddenly changes the equation.
Surely you acknowledge that there is more to attraction and sexuality than physical appearance?

UTiii

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it cute that you think you're being "polite and respectful" when you don't even consider them to actually be the gender they are.

I also find it cute that you really think it's plainly obvious.

Hi, don't want to get too deep into this topic as i'm not knowledgeable enough on the matter and perhaps don't have the deft touch to discus without hurting peoples feelings (unintended), so perhaps best staying away.

I did just want to ask as you specifically state gender.

By gender do you mean, the social construct rather than biological sex?

Is it OK to accept someone by their chosen gender, but with their biological sex remaining as it was?

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Why is one mod in here helping continue a derail that another mod specifically told us not to do? The topic isn't about whether it's okay for guys not to date trans women or not. SweetNicole made that really clear, and then Steven Universe brought it up again. So why is the derail being furthered?

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't it human nature to find a mate that will be able to provide for you, had good genes, and continue your blood line?

Ok, let me rephrase. Apart from the last one (of which there are other options like surrogacy), what changes the equation there if a transwoman/man is the other party?

Surely you acknowledge that there is more to attraction and sexuality than physical appearance?

Absolutely. But other than the specific factor of a different original sex, those factors are present in everyone. "Oh they lack empathy," or "oh they don't stimulate me intellectually," etc., - those are things that can be applied to anyone, trans or no.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with the title at all. There's plenty of people I'd sleep with that I'd never date. My standards for dating are just higher than for sex. That's not some conspiracy.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
If we're going to have - totally warranted - mod warnings against people saying transphobic shit, can we also get an edict to not keep peddling the falsehood that biology and evolutionary factors have no role to play in attraction and sexual orientation, and furthermore than anyone who questions this is labelled transphobic themselves?

Literally no one has made that argument, except you by creating the strawman.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside all these various diversions, I just want to remind people again that this thread is about straight men who really actively, seriously want to fuck at least one trans woman each so the reasons some other straight guy doesn't are pretty off the path. And that's one of the really silly things about these conversations in general -- like it kind of doesn't matter how much any given straight guy thinks it's important to note that he doesn't want to sleep with trans women, because there's a ton of others who do. The whole nature of the problem is guys who want to do it but regret it when other people know they want to.

I don't agree with the title at all. There's plenty of people I'd sleep with that I'd never date. My standards for dating are just higher than for sex. That's not some conspiracy.
It would probably be better to use her phrasing of "keep a secret" to make it clear exactly what behavior she's criticizing, yeah.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

If you'd never date a trans person period... but you'd fuck them that's a problem and that's the topic

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Why is one mod in here helping continue a derail that another mod specifically told us not to do? The topic isn't about whether it's okay for guys not to date trans women or not. SweetNicole made that really clear, and then Steven Universe brought it up again. So why is the derail being furthered?
I came in late to the party, so my apologies. It's a fair point, and I just got caught up in the discussion. I considered it related, but looking back at SweetNicole's post, you're right.

So to repeat what SweetNicole said:

Please keep the discussion as to what the thread OP pertains: "men who seek out and have sex with trans women but choose to keep us [transgender women] a secret"

I'll talk to the other mods to not take into account derails from other users due to my action. (i.e., from when I started posting to now)

Last edited:

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure you can have sex with someone and not want to date them. That doesn't make you insecure, you just have your boundries set.

That said, I'm pretty sure many men nowadays would not date trans women because of what others would say. That's insecurity talking.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Would you openly admit to friends and family? Would you try to hide them away?
Would you wine/dine them?
Would you take them out in public anywhere?
Would you be afraid to be seen with them?

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as a straight guy this thread has been very enlightening. I've considered myself an ally, but this discussion definitely has me thinking about some illogical bias I may have had. Many thanks to the trans advocates posting in this thread.

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, don't want to get too deep into this topic as i'm not knowledgeable enough on the matter and perhaps don't have the deft touch to discus without hurting peoples feelings (unintended), so perhaps best staying away.

I did just want to ask as you specifically state gender.

By gender do you mean, the social construct rather than biological sex?

Is it OK to accept someone by their chosen gender, but with their biological sex remaining as it was?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, yes I mean the social construct (Man/Woman/Enby/etc.) not the biological (Male/Female/Intersex).

Yes, in fact you should. Biological sex and gender are two different things. I, a trans, Non-Binary woman, don't plan on ever getting Sex Reassignment Surgery, I'm perfectly comfortable with my genitalia, I am still a non-binary woman regardless.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking as a straight guy this thread has been very enlightening. I've considered myself an ally, but this discussion definitely has me thinking about some illogical bias I may have had. Many thanks to the trans advocates posting in this thread.

Again, you're still a straight guy if you're with a trans woman. Why? Because they're a woman.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Would you openly admit to friends and family? Would you try to hide them away?
Would you wine/dine them?
Would you take them out in public anywhere?
Would you be afraid to be seen with them?

Nope. Yep.
Depends.
Again depends.
If someone knew I was sleeping with them yes.

If you'd never date a trans person period... but you'd fuck them that's a problem and that's the topic

But my point is that's not something specific to trans people. Plenty of people have someone they'd be dtf and would never date.

Edit: That said I wouldn't try to string someone along in this scenario. They'd know exactly what they were in for because tiptoeing around that tends to backfire.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone

There's no such thing as "assigned genetic sex". Assigning refers to the process of attaching labels and categories to things. People have a chromosomal configuration but it isn't assigned to them.

And a subconscious bias that changes your opinion of the person based on a factor that you need a blood sample and a microscope to discern is very clearly prejudicial. If you don't agree that this is transphobic then you have a non functional definition of transphobia. What you've described is precisely what we mean when we use the word transphobic.

Kurri

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, posts like this makes sticking in here worth it. I've been pretty damn frustrated for the past few pages, but if someone is learning, then I'm cool with it, makes the effort that much more meaningful. Thank you for taking the time to look into your biases.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Are trans women always in that category for you because their trans? If not then you're situation is different than what the thread is talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.