• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
Law is a system of rules that are created and enforced through social or governmental institutions to regulate behavior.

A Lawyer is a person who practices Law.

There are 2 major legal systems in the world. The Common Law-system which is based on Caselaw and the Civil law-system, which is based on the written law. Common Law is most prominent in the UK and U.S. whereas the Civil law is dominant in most of the world, such as in Germany and People's Republic of China.

While legal systems are different in each country, many same laws and regulations can be found in different countries. The world is ruled by different conventions.

This topic is for all things related to law, both asking about interpretation of a law or asking about studying law as well as connecting with law practitioners around the ERA community.

This topic is not for getting free legal help with your case. If you need to lawyer up, always contract a lawyer near you.

The opinions presented on LawERA are opinions of the users and constitute under no circumstances as legal advice. The posters of LawERA take no responsibility for any consequences for following any advice posted in this topic.

Some guidelines:

- If you ask help with interpretation, keep it simple and short. Especially with Common Law systems interpretation of a bill might be very complicated.
- Specify which country's legislation you are asking about.
- Have an open mind, different views on different things mean different rules for different people.

My first OT, and still under construction.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've got all the paperwork I need for admission... maybe Nov if I remember to grab an envelope today

Oct 27, 2017
Passed the Bar, eventually got the job, debt down to 95k, missed out on all the Trump chaos during school. If you go to law school get trial experience. Nothing else matters much. (USA)

Oct 27, 2017
Clinics or trial courses would work, mock trial programs would work, meaningful summer opportunities in a court or with a good attorney could work, and talking to the coolest crim / crim pro prof could work. If you're still a 1L maybe the best advice is "don't panic" -- get good grades because they matter more than they should, or, if you're like me and get bad grades, just keep going. Befriend older students who know what you're enduring.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
You know you are a lawyer when you read the Terms of Service on the website out of genuine curiosity. And when you read the FAQ guidelines while waiting for approval. And when you notice a reference to [link] in the FAQ that doesn't have a live link. And when your first aim, on getting acceptance, is to email the mods to point it out. And when you double check first to see whether it is still broken. And when you feel disappointed because they did fix it, but you are trained to be a problem solver and wanted to fix it.

True story. Sigh.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Clinics or trial courses would work, mock trial programs would work, meaningful summer opportunities in a court or with a good attorney could work, and talking to the coolest crim / crim pro prof could work. If you're still a 1L maybe the best advice is "don't panic" -- get good grades because they matter more than they should, or, if you're like me and get bad grades, just keep going. Befriend older students who know what you're enduring.
Thank you for the advice, I do appreciate it. =)