• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

There it is, folks.

This man wants to be the nominee of a party whose diverse base comprises women and minorities, and he says shit like this.

I'm (more than) halfway convinced this is what people mean when they say they "want someone tough" who'll "stand up to Republicans" and "FUCK DECORUM."

They want someone who has a dick and testosterone and will scream... and just happens to look like them. Dog whistles all around.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This guy came off as sleaze from the first I've heard him speak. Wow, he @ Trump. Big whoop. HRC, Andrew Gillum and others also have. That's nothing special.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I personally am not seeking Avenatti's thoughts on the 2020 nominee but in the tweet it states that he wished that a white male wasn't the best candidate to deliver a message, based on his perspective. I don't know why he thinks it is smart for him to open his mouth on this topic.

I am not doubtful of his claim that more Americans are receptive to a white male, but I rather see a woman of color take lead of the party. Forget status quo.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a black dude, but I agree with him. I don't think the country is ready for another person of color to be president. While the popular vote was on Hillary's side, it didn't matter because she wasn't popular in the right places. So I'd be hesitant about a non white dude winning 2020. 2024 is different and I think everyone will have a better chance, but I think the unfortunate reality is that he's right

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Wonder if he'll still be in attack dog mode against Trump if the Democratic nominee ISN'T a white male.
Or if he'll start playing for the other team.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If you wish it weren't like that then don't promote it. Shit comment is a shit comment.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one position I've held firm on for the last 9 months, and got shit for it early on, it's that Michael Avanatti is a dirt bag and would be very bad if he were in American politics. I'm gonna make a t-shirt and wear it as a pat on the back.

Deleted member 6223

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm (more than) halfway convinced this is what people mean when they say they "want someone tough" who'll "stand up to Republicans" and "FUCK DECORUM."

They want someone who has a dick and testosterone and will scream... and just happens to look like them. Dog whistles all around.
Indeed. Fuck Avenatti. I used to like him, but he can fuck off into the sun now. Bye.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately he isn't wrong about the public's perception of the authority of a speaker, however it's a very simplistic take and is another one to throw on the pile of shitty things he has said and done

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Even considering his full position it's a terrible thing to say if you're a white male considering a run in 2020.

Please start ignoring this man so we can move on.

Oct 27, 2017
This country sucks and he's basically completely right. We're so fucking racist that having a single black president for two terms have pushed us so far back into the red that the only person that will probably be able to win at this point is a white male.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He 3/5th to a point but he doesn't quite get there or put it right.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA is racist as all fuck. And misogynist as hell too. So he isnt wrong. /shrug

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping it'd be "with the way people disrespect women and non-white people, I don't know if they could win in 2020" rather than "white guys are just a better pick for this"

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is hes telling the truth about thing carrying more weight when put forward by a "representative of the majority".

You only need to look at how America suddenly became amazing the day after Trump was sworn in.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think he has a point... ? I guess it comes down to whether or not one thinks Obama could be elected today, and after Clinton, who knows.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
When trying to be controversial for self promotion goes too far.

Maybe. Fuck knows how many people this will resonate with. Ugh.

I give a fuck who stands up, so long as they have a spine, heart, and brain. Lacking combination these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm a black dude, but I agree with him. I don't think the country is ready for another person of color to be president. While the popular vote was on Hillary's side, it didn't matter because she wasn't popular in the right places. So I'd be hesitant about a non white dude winning 2020. 2024 is different and I think everyone will have a better chance, but I think the unfortunate reality is that he's right
I disagree almost completely. Voter apathy had a big influence on the 2014 and 2016 election cycle. I see no reason to believe that will be the case for the 2018 or 2020 elections. In fact, I expect record turnouts for the Dem candidate as long as they aren't extremely weak candidates. White male or not.

He 3/5th to a point but he doesn't quite get there or put it right.
yea.

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
I think he has a point... ? I guess it comes down to whether or not one thinks Obama could be elected today, and after Clinton, who knows.
Exactly.

While Avenatti's motives behind this may be "make me your king", the point is not one that knee-jerk-Era is seeing. It sucks, but it may be true. Does that mean that the intolerant 'win' if Dems go for this strategy? I don't know.

KelticNight

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I think it better be a white male," he says. He hastens to add that he wishes it weren't so, but it's undeniable that people listen to white men more than they do others; it's why he's been successful representing Daniels and immigrant mothers, he says. "When you have a white male making the arguments, they carry more weight," he says. "Should they carry more weight? Absolutely not. But do they? Yes."

I think the guy is a used car salesman and attention whore, but I don't think he's wrong. If you want a cookie-cutter candidate to appeal to the majority and be the "least offensive", it' would be a white male.

It's tragic, but I don't think he's wrong. More than happy to be convinced otherwise, though.