• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I think a lot of reasons [Sony Worldwide Studios is special]. You may not know that my same studio structure that brings you Gran Turismo is the one that also brings you The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Detroit: Become Human, and soon this game called Spider-Man.

"We have these 13 studios worldwide. One of the things that makes our structure a bit unique — I challenge anyone to argue my claim — is that we're the only studio structure I know that can create triple-A content in three regions. We can make it in Japan, in Europe, and in America. I think that gives us a certain energy, a certain power. Certainly, it's a wider viewpoint about the markets and gamers worldwide. That's a benefit to all of the studios. We have probably 2,500, 3,000 people. We have a lot of external partners that we work with, whether it's Insomniac — again, I'm pushing Spider-Man — or Quantic Dream or Supermassive. Our breadth is really wide."

SOURCE

I think that's pretty inarguable. As in, I think it is literally inarguable, you can't argue with what literally is. While Sony Japan has started to slack in recent years, it can still put out The Last Guardian, or Gran Turismo Sport, or of course, Bloodborne. Sony's European branches can give you Horizon or LittleBigPlanet, while their American studios bring you God of War or Uncharted.

Whether or not you like those games is irrelevant. It's undeniable that Sony actually is the only company in the industry capable of pushing out high end AAA content across Japan, Europe, and North America. And as Layden points out, this is to Sony's advantage- and may be one of the reasons why they remain the only brand capable of consistently pushing great numbers across the world.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah I think this is a good thing because they can tailor certain franchises and brands to local tastes. I also think another benefit of PlayStation is that they have localised marketing teams/campaigns, so while they're all pushing the same general message and strategy, they tailor it to different regions.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy just loves to self-felatiate.

Ubisoft has been doing the same damn thing for a very long time.

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Japan, Europe and America? What about Asia, Europe and America? I know Ubisoft have some shit here in Manila.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the support in a lot of countries that don't usually get localisations fast is a big reason they are so dominant overall.

Exebiel

Well Sony is doing great on games with their corresponding neutral spanish / latin spanish dubs in South America. Detroit Become Human had a very nice spanish dub, where ppl lost their minds was about the dub on the new God of War with the strongest marketing plan I've ever seen.

God of War in Perú was totally bonkers. A main animator from Sony Santa Monica was at the Kennedy Park in Lima, Perú watching the whole Sony marketing everywhere.

https://twitter.com/mehdianim/status/998706994663055366

I think Layden is somehow right.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes i know but Japan is not a region lol
Are we really going to do this?
I mean, if people are going to get pedantic about what he said, which is a really fair and accurate assessment, then yes, it goes both ways.

South Park The Fractured but Whole
They did not put that out. They assisted on it. They did not put that out.
What game has Ubisoft Osaka actually put out by themselves?

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
They got lots of studios in the West but in Asia only got one studio in Japan? (Sony Japan Studio) that's not good enough for that region

Edit, and Polyphony Digital but still not good enough with just a Gran Turismo making studio

Last edited:

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft Singapore is helming Skull & Bones. I'm assuming we don't need to justify North America and Europe for them.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Does Square Enix still have european studios since they got rid of IOI? They would count as well if that was the case.