Layoffs at Otherside Austin (System Shock 3)

OP
OP
Mr. Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
I just PM'd Jason Schreier who offered a sliver of hope:

Definitely accurate that they've downsized. I know Warren Spector is still working on the game, and working on finding a way to make it happen. Don't know how many other people are still there.

OP
OP
Mr. Tibbs

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
The Design director's out, too.

Design Director - System Shock 3

Company Name OtherSide Entertainment
Dates Employed Aug 2018 – Feb 2020
Employment Duration 1 yr 7 mos
Location Austin, Texas

Manage internal design team using mixed methodologies to drive direction and quality of overall experience while staying within budget and on schedule. Align company leadership on project goals and priorities. Define key project concepts and features for the experience. Manage and communicate with key stakeholders and departments to ensure IP consistency and quality. Direct writers to craft complex systems for immersive and organic storytelling. Support team with hands-on design work as needed including writing, greyboxing levels, balancing, tuning, level scripting, level creation and prototype experiences.

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I accepted a long time ago that I'd never get this game.

Fucking Unity. Why would you choose Unity over UE4 for a game of System Shock 3's magnitude?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
otherside dev said:
So, we had to be creative and clever and weird. And we were on our way to make something unique and possibly fun, but probably not what the audience was hungry for.”
This sounds EXACTLY like what they did to Underworld.

After that fiasco I had very little faith this company could make a game at all let alone a System Shock sequel. I would rather have whatever they were planning on putting out just never come at all than to see another of their "interpretations" of a classic Looking Glass game.

I feel terrible for the people who worked on this thing for so long and lost their job.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

Oct 25, 2017
I accepted a long time ago that I'd never get this game.

Fucking Unity. Why would you choose Unity over UE4 for a game of System Shock 3's magnitude?
In what way has unity been the problem? They were using the latest build that was only now released to the public. Not to mention that their troubles had less to do with engine and more to do with funding. Being on UE4 ain't gonna solve thar

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this thread was about the remake (which until now I didn't know WAS remake, I'm dumb, though I've never played SS before). At least that's still coming, I super enjoyed the demo.

Funyarinpa

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Son of a bitch. Son of a bitch. Four years anticipating this game and... nothing.

QUOTE="ILikeFeet, post: 28963431, member: 1354"]
In what way has unity been the problem? They were using the latest build that was only now released to the public. Not to mention that their troubles had less to do with engine and more to do with funding. Being on UE4 ain't gonna solve thar
[/QUOTE]
Above posts say that Unity cost them time and effort.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Disappointing, hope that the team members are doing ok and able to get back on their feet. It's also sobering to see this in light of the immersive sims thread. I wish this was a more successful genre.

vestan

Dec 28, 2017
You have no idea what you're talking about. The folks at OtherSide came on stage at GDC 2019 to talk about how Unity helped them get environments set up quickly through the High Def Render Pipeline, Shader Graph, Deferred Decals etc. It's clear the engine was never the problem. The writing on the wall was Starbreeze's financial issues, not whether if they used Unity or UE4. Jesus.

That post was embarrassing

K.Jack

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You have no idea what you're talking about. The folks at OtherSide came on stage at GDC 2019 to talk about how Unity helped them get environments set up quickly through the High Def Render Pipeline, Shader Graph, Deferred Decals etc. It's clear the engine was never the problem. The writing on the wall was Starbreeze's financial issues, not whether if they used Unity or UE4. Jesus.

That post was embarrassing
I expect these uninformed shitposts every now and again on resetera but this is indeed embarassing.
The developer was literally quoted above saying choosing Unity over UE4 was one of their obstacles that hindered development. I was reacting directly to that statement.

Obviously it isn't the sole reason things fell to shit.

It's more their fault for choosing it for a project for which its tools weren't yet ready. That's what I was saying, not "Unity sucks". I worded it poorly, I'll admit.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. This sucks for bith the. Developers and the fans.

We were getting a continuation to the ending of SS2 and now we have a lot of people without jobs. Hopefully they find another jib soon.

Neither Prey 2 or SS3 were anywhere near "almost done."
Prey 2 had achievements in place. That's how far the developement was. It is in no way comparable.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, maybe if Night Dive's SS1 remake does well there will still be an avenue for a SS3. Definitely sucks though.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
This one hurts :(

It breaks my heart that in 2020 a project like System Shock 3 struggles to secure funding. And they even had Warren Spector at the helm!

I wonder why OtherSide hasn't released any official statement about it though..