• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's really too bad. Hard to tell what's going on, but hopefully everything works out as the game was looking good.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
It's been almost a year since they lost their publisher and they haven't managed to convince anyone else to publish it (and after Underworld Ascendant, who can blame them...) so yea they gotta be running out of funds.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Nooo. :( The game I'm looking forward to the most.

Hope it works out for everyone.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Underworld Ascendant shouldn't have been released in that condition. That killed any hope I had of this being a decent game.

And it probably spelled the end of them raising much more money.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Underworld Ascendant shouldn't have been released in that condition. That killed any hope I had of this being a decent game.

And it probably spelled the end of them raising much more money.

Underworld Ascendant shouldn't have been released in any condition.

It was fundamentally flawed to its core.

This is the first I'm hearing that Microsoft was possibly publishing their next game. How in the hell did MS look at Underworld Ascendant and say "Now that's a team we should get behind!"

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems it's time for a checkup with doctor phil, unless it's really that bad

Was it this or the SS1 remake that got announced for Xbox One timed exclusivity at some point

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't think so. The people leaving the studio en mass suggests that they're possibly running low on cash and a publisher is desperately needed for the game to move forward. Even if it's not cancelled already, I doubt they can make much meaningful progress with a skeleton crew. Sadly a similar thing happened with Underworld Ascendant. Despite being announced in July 2014 and running a successful Kickstarter campaign, development ran on fumes until summer 2017 before 505 agreed to publish. The scope radically changed and the end result was a catastrophic failure.

There just isn't much of a demand for these types of games, are there?

Shame.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
They seem to be a hard sale. Back in May of this year, Warren Spector said they had lots of publisher interest:

It seems like no one's bitten in the interim, even after the big September trailer and the puff piece from Gamespot.

I see the issue. Im going to guess that they are worried that publishers are going to pressure the team to add on shit it doesn't need, like MP.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Do people think a System Shock 3 will live up to expectations after Underworld Ascendant?

It's probably better that this game never sees the light of day than tarnish the series' legacy.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Did I miss something? What are they working on?

Otherside in Austin was (?) working on System Shock 3, published by Starbreeze until they ran into their own financial problems. The forum posts linked above sound correct from what I've heard. What I meant, though, was there is exciting work being done in Austin game studios at the moment. Bluepoint is an obvious example but there is a lot more in the years to come :)

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They were small teams when they made such games in the first place so what went wrong here, Unity issues or deadlines or what?

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely nuts that a game so far along and relatively good looking in a larger than life IP just isn't happening anymore.

Hey, Epic -- maybe use some Fortnite dollars for this one?