• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
Yes, who could forget their "gameplay teaser" that mysteriously contained almost no gameplay.
Just watched the gameplayer trailer for the first time and you're right. If all they could put together after years of development was 2 second flashcuts of walking down hallways, the game was probably having major issues

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, this one hurt. I would kill for a SS3 sequel.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I accepted a long time ago that I'd never get this game.

Fucking Unity. Why would you choose Unity over UE4 for a game of System Shock 3's magnitude?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
otherside dev said:
So, we had to be creative and clever and weird. And we were on our way to make something unique and possibly fun, but probably not what the audience was hungry for."

This sounds EXACTLY like what they did to Underworld.

After that fiasco I had very little faith this company could make a game at all let alone a System Shock sequel. I would rather have whatever they were planning on putting out just never come at all than to see another of their "interpretations" of a classic Looking Glass game.

I feel terrible for the people who worked on this thing for so long and lost their job.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I accepted a long time ago that I'd never get this game.

Fucking Unity. Why would you choose Unity over UE4 for a game of System Shock 3's magnitude?
In what way has unity been the problem? They were using the latest build that was only now released to the public. Not to mention that their troubles had less to do with engine and more to do with funding. Being on UE4 ain't gonna solve thar

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this thread was about the remake (which until now I didn't know WAS remake, I'm dumb, though I've never played SS before). At least that's still coming, I super enjoyed the demo.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Son of a bitch. Son of a bitch. Four years anticipating this game and... nothing.

QUOTE="ILikeFeet, post: 28963431, member: 1354"]
In what way has unity been the problem? They were using the latest build that was only now released to the public. Not to mention that their troubles had less to do with engine and more to do with funding. Being on UE4 ain't gonna solve thar
[/QUOTE]
Above posts say that Unity cost them time and effort.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

it looked like they were close to finishing the project...

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Disappointing, hope that the team members are doing ok and able to get back on their feet. It's also sobering to see this in light of the immersive sims thread. I wish this was a more successful genre.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
You have no idea what you're talking about. The folks at OtherSide came on stage at GDC 2019 to talk about how Unity helped them get environments set up quickly through the High Def Render Pipeline, Shader Graph, Deferred Decals etc. It's clear the engine was never the problem. The writing on the wall was Starbreeze's financial issues, not whether if they used Unity or UE4. Jesus.

That post was embarrassing

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You have no idea what you're talking about. The folks at OtherSide came on stage at GDC 2019 to talk about how Unity helped them get environments set up quickly through the High Def Render Pipeline, Shader Graph, Deferred Decals etc. It's clear the engine was never the problem. The writing on the wall was Starbreeze's financial issues, not whether if they used Unity or UE4. Jesus.

That post was embarrassing
I expect these uninformed shitposts every now and again on resetera but this is indeed embarassing.
The developer was literally quoted above saying choosing Unity over UE4 was one of their obstacles that hindered development. I was reacting directly to that statement.

Obviously it isn't the sole reason things fell to shit.

It's more their fault for choosing it for a project for which its tools weren't yet ready. That's what I was saying, not "Unity sucks". I worded it poorly, I'll admit.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. This sucks for bith the. Developers and the fans.

We were getting a continuation to the ending of SS2 and now we have a lot of people without jobs. Hopefully they find another jib soon.

Neither Prey 2 or SS3 were anywhere near "almost done."
Prey 2 had achievements in place. That's how far the developement was. It is in no way comparable.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, maybe if Night Dive's SS1 remake does well there will still be an avenue for a SS3. Definitely sucks though.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
This one hurts :(

It breaks my heart that in 2020 a project like System Shock 3 struggles to secure funding. And they even had Warren Spector at the helm!

I wonder why OtherSide hasn't released any official statement about it though..

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
An unverified but plausible rumor from Reddit about the state of SS3:

old.reddit.com

System Shock 3 firm 'still here', insists marketing boss, but no word on dev team | VGC

The goal of /r/Games is to provide a place for informative and interesting gaming content and discussions. Submissions should be for the purpose...

This really sucks.

System Shock deserves so much better than to be stuck in development hell and unable to secure funding. Spector's Twitter account appears to have gone quiet since development supposedly fell apart. Hope everyone that was on the dev team is doing okay at least.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'd love Night Dive to get involved somehow. They have SS1, as well as the SS1 Remake coming and the announcement of a SS2 Enhanced Edition. Getting involved with SS3 would put it all under one house and I trust the hell out of Night Dive after the stellar work they've been doing on ports of late, as well as the awesome SS Remake demos.