• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017

Bad news coming from #Techland. With the month's end many people within the publishing division are getting laid off, and the division itself is set to disappear with the end of the year. #polishgames

On the one hand they haven't published that much (at least internationally - don't remember how much they've been publishing locally [EDIT: 28 games on Polish market just last year and just Metro: Exodus and DIRT Rally 2.0 this year]), but layoffs are layoffs and they're sad.

OP
OP
Accoun

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
im quite confused. why lay off the division stuff? so no devs?
Other way around, it's the development studio that stays. I guess it's not as much of a change for international gamers (their only bigger publishing deal seems to be Torment: Tides Of Numenera), but such a major change still shows their condition.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Bad Blood fiasco has anything to do with all this... But yeah, releasing it during the Blackout Hype season wasn't smart.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
With all these layoffs I wonder what all these unemployed game developers actually do.

I also wonder if this is a sign of an impending economic crash like in 2007/8

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Please let DL2 be safe PLEASE. Also I hope this doesn't swing them to the Epic Store.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Dang, this sucks. I've been rooting for Techland as one of the more interesting studios to survive the AA-game die-off. Hope Dying Light 2 does well for them.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
so place your bets thq or ms? lol

hope everyone that is laid off land on there feet.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
DL2 is far enough along that it will get picked up by another publisher if things go south, ala Stick of Truth.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The game industry is going through a really rough patch right now.

yeah, and it's called fiscal year

it really sucks getting all those news about lay-offs, though there is demand in the gaming industry for experienced people so I hope they'll land on their feet.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, and it's called fiscal year

it really sucks getting all those news about lay-offs, though there is demand in the gaming industry for experienced people so I hope they'll land on their feet.

It's not just because of fiscal year. There is a lot of uncertainty in things that were presumed to be guaranteed cash cows. Activision's recent issues, RDR2 online's numbers being down, etc are a sign that things are changing.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Reaally hope this doesn't affect Dying Light 2, not after how excited I was to see Chris Avellone's involvement in it.

Oct 27, 2017
DL2 is far enough along that it will get picked up by another publisher if things go south, ala Stick of Truth.

Yeah, didn't the first game have something crazy like 14 million players total? I'm sure they'd have no trouble partnering with a big publisher again if the needed to for DL2.

Man, weren't they working on an RPG or something too? :/

They were doing Hellraid, which looked a bit Elder Scrollsy but I believe was going to be much more linear. However it was put on hold a few years back and I don't know if they have plans to revisit it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, didn't the first game have something crazy like 14 million players total? I'm sure they'd have no trouble partnering with a big publisher again if the needed to for DL2.

They were doing Hellraid, which looked a bit Elder Scrollsy but I believe was going to be much more linear. However it was put on hold a few years back and I don't know if they have plans to revisit it.

That's not the game I was talking about. This was something separate, as I understand.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
People can't read

They are shutting down the polish publishing division, they are not touching Dying Light developers and the ww publishing division