• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
According to people with knowledge of the situation, American PlayStation directors visited Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) in London on Tuesday to announce the restructure of several divisions, including marketing and PR.

Affected employees were then given notice and meetings were set for those required to re-interview for their jobs.

There were also a number of layoffs in the US-based creative services team, with one affected employee writing on Twitter: "I hate that this is going to be drowned by the PS5 announcement."

PlayStation's North American arm, Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA) has seen its influence grow significantly in the past year, VGC was told, as the platform holder moves further towards a central, globalised structure.

Previously PlayStation's regional arms were able to act autonomously, signing their own games and setting their own marketing budgets.

This allowed the company to specifically cater to its own audiences: PlayStation Move was marketed more heavily in Europe, for example, while Drive Club wasn't in the US. This had the downside of creating a messy overall operation, which some publishers are said to have been frustrated with in the past.

More at the source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ens-up-for-redundancy-on-day-of-ps5-announce/

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to people with knowledge of the situation, American PlayStation directors visited Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe (SIEE) in London on Tuesday to announce the restructure of several divisions, including marketing and PR.

Affected employees were then given notice and meetings were set for those required to re-interview for their jobs.

There were also a number of layoffs in the US-based creative services team, with one affected employee writing on Twitter: "I hate that this is going to be drowned by the PS5 announcement."

PlayStation's North American arm, Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA) has seen its influence grow significantly in the past year, VGC was told, as the platform holder moves further towards a central, globalised structure.

Previously PlayStation's regional arms were able to act autonomously, signing their own games and setting their own marketing budgets.

This allowed the company to specifically cater to its own audiences: PlayStation Move was marketed more heavily in Europe, for example, while Drive Club wasn't in the US. This had the downside of creating a messy overall operation, which some publishers are said to have been frustrated with in the past.
More here

Hope those people find new jobs soon.

SIEA increasingly taking lead on globalised operation
Restructuring continues. SIEA being in the lead makes sense. The headquarter is in the US and it's their biggest (single) market.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucked up to hide this kind of bad news when everyone is preoccupied by 'random' info dumps.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The person in the tweet was from SIEA though, kinda ruins the whole "sony are firing SIEE employees as SIEA gains control" idea

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Doing it on the day of the announcement of the PS5 is really scummy.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I hope those affected get offers from other devs asap. Sad. Is this what Chris Ding was talking about in his latest tweet?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Harsh news but can't help but see the sneaky side to do this on the day they announce the ps5 so it helps hide it.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the other thread, shitty that they tried to hide with the PS5 announcement.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. Also we just though SIEE was taking the wheel but that does not seem to be the case.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
So Playstation US is slowly becoming the Nintendo NCL? The head honcho headquarters who calls all the shots instead of each division making their own choices? Could lead to optimization of performance in the future.

Though I'm not sure how Europe will take this as Playstation EU was a powerhouse in establishing and stabilizing the brand in Europe. Without that power and always having to cater to American power/American perspective, that might lead to dissonance. Curious as to why the need to change as it seems things were working out for each division pretty well by catering to each audience

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Damn that sucks, hope they land on their feet quickly. Restructuring can be pretty ugly, I've seen colleagues of mine lose their jobs due to this.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we have an image similar to PapEA?

RIP Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool
RIP Guerilla Cambridge
RIP Zipper
RIP Incognito
RIP Contrail
RIP Team Soho
RIP Evolution
Rip BigBig

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sounds like a mix of restructuring and consolidation. Always hate to see people lose jobs, especially when the company is still booming.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am pretty tired of this conflicting reports.

Just a few days ago we were led to believe Sony Europe was "winning" the power struggle fight inside Sony. Now it is Sony America who is leading everything?

In any case, best of luck to those who lost their jobs!

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
This is awful news. Especially since European divisions were so instrumental in reviving the PlayStation brand.

This does strengthen the rumours of a behind the scenes power struggle at Sony

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just in time for Playstation us to fuck it up for the european and japanese markets.

Sports and guns for all.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

RIP Guerilla Cambridge
RIP Zipper
RIP Incognito
RIP Contrail
RIP Team Soho
RIP Evolution
Rip BigBig
Sometimes people forget this is a business and there is not a pretty side to being successful, you have above and beyond to please your shareholders. I really hope those affected get on their feet soon, it is awful being unemployed.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Just a few days ago we were led to believe Sony Europe was "winning" the power struggle fight inside Sony. Now it is Sony America who is leading everything?

Obviously this is the true story since it actually resulted in actions.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Terrible news. Feel for all those who have lost their jobs.

I also wonder how this will affect the PS5 for us Europeans obviously.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Restructuring continues. SIEA being in the lead makes sense. The headquarter is in the US and it's their biggest (single) market.
On the other hand, their European division has often performed way better than their American division in bad times. It seems like a very weak move to keep their lead in Europe.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RIP Guerilla Cambridge
RIP Zipper
RIP Incognito
RIP Contrail
RIP Team Soho
RIP Evolution
Rip BigBig

It's nothing like EA.

These teams underperformed/lost money, Sony isn't a charity, no console maker is.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BigBig never really got a fair shake. They could be putting out some good smaller scale store games now.

Yes - Pursuit Force is legitimately amazing

It's nothing like EA.

These teams underperformed/lost money, Sony isn't a charity, no console maker is.

Of course not, but the way I see it they need also need 'prestige' products that add value to the brand, rather than catering to the largest audience with every release. Imagine if they closed Japan Studio because they break even/aren't profitable?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disgusting. Playstation is at its prime, Sony is sinking in money due to Playstation and then you hear people are getting fired :/

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I feel bad for them and hope they get new jobs, but well these kind of things happen often, idk if it has anything to do with power struggle.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Playstation HQ are pretty much on the US now. If they going to consilidate the way they do things in all markets it would always be the US division that would be in charge.
Curious to see if this has any effect here in Europe advetisements. Playstation has a big presence in the Champions League.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Unfortunately Sony hiding news by making a "hype" distraction has been in their playbook for years now. This is really sad to see.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
sucks for those who lose their jobs (though based on glassdoor reviews, they apparently paid really poorly in London)

The separation between US and EU had aways been a problem. Wasn't there a problem back in PS2 days where only a set number (was it six) of titles a year from Eu could be released in the US (or vice versa)? I can see the logic in doing things in a more unified way, but that ignores the fact that Eu and US are very different (even within Europe, the differences between different markets are vast).

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, their European division has often performed way better than their American division in bad times. It seems like a very weak move to keep their lead in Europe.
They're still restructuring right now. New strategies for a new upcoming console generation, etc. Sony right now wants to consolidate all of its businesses. And sadly, layoffs happen :/