• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread would make one think Sony is canning SIEE.

Anyway, restructure sucks when layoffs happens. Hopefully all of them find new jobs.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The Playstation already became an American console with the PS4, considering its architecture was designed by Mark Cerny as opposed to Japanese hardware design team formerly comprised of Ken Kutaragi and Shuhei Yoshida.

The design influence and direction in terms of hardware hasn't been led from Japan for the entirety of this generation. The PS4 being a American designed console has not impacted software output from Japanese publishers and developers this generation in a negative manner, so why do you think with the PS5 this going to change at all?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The Playstation already became an American console with the PS4, considering its architecture was designed by Mark Cerny as opposed to Japanese hardware design team formerly comprised of Ken Kutaragi and Shuhei Yoshida.

The design influence and direction in terms of hardware hasn't been led from Japan for the entirety of this generation. The PS4 being a American designed console has not impacted software output from Japanese publishers and developers this generation in a negative manner, so why do you think with the PS5 this going to change at all?

Because America bad. Japan good.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I'm not happy about management centralizing with SIEA. I don't want to sound harsh or mean but in terms of mass consumers products I don't trust American management system one bit. others are not angels of course, but American companies always made the most anti-consumer decisions in my eyes, and has never been consistent in terms of reliability and quality.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So the Playstation brand is going to become more US-centric (or whatever). Which is a shame, because I often gravitated towards the first or second-party European Playstation titles because they very much have a certain feel (see: Driveclub, Wipeout).

Oh well, one less thing I'll find appealing about next gen I guess.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
So do we know of any of the regional EMEA offices are closing?

If they aren't then I think the fears about local 'tone' in marketing efforts are misplaced.

But without knowing which roles are affected it's very hard to say how this will impact overall operations - don't forget, these are job losses from an operational rather than development division (they're also the kind of jobs that are - and what it means for EMEA messaging. I still think you'll see stuff like the Spanish Fathers' Day GoW happen, there'll just be a different approval process.

Also - burying bad news isn't a conspiracy it's a fairly standard PR tactic, and these redundancies would've been planned probably from the start of the FY and been built into budgets (specific role losses would've been in micro planning since the FY started)...altho equally it speaks to the gap in comms between the regions that the planned redundancies happen on the same day as the Wired article so that even if not intentional the optics aren't great.

Just to clarify too, game dev sign-off is the responsibility of WWS, not the marketing teams, so that process shouldn't be impacted by this news.

This is one of the most sensible posts in this thread. One of the main reasons Sony has been successful in Europe is because it's had its own European marketing strategy. If Sony decide to consolidate marketing efforts to one location that won't bode well. Europeans, especially the UK, don't engage with American marketing tactics much at all. As Kyser quite rightly put, it's down to tone.

Sad to hear about their job losses, but unfortunately this is a case of a large corporation with tunnel vision.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
This is one of the most sensible posts in this thread. One of the main reasons Sony has been successful in Europe is because it's had its own European marketing strategy. If Sony decide to consolidate marketing efforts to one location that won't bode well. Europeans, especially the UK, don't engage with American marketing tactics much at all. As Kyser quite rightly put, it's down to tone.

Sad to hear about their job losses, but unfortunately this is a case of a large corporation with tunnel vision.

This is my fear with the news. The European marketing game this generation has been strong, particularly in the UK. It's one of the main things that sets it apart from competitors. If the consolidation means they're canning that, Americanised marketing just isn't going to appeal to the wider European public in the same way. Unless you've spent time on both sides of the big pond it's not really something that's easy to appreciate.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is my fear with the news. The European marketing game this generation has been strong, particularly in the UK. It's one of the main things that sets it apart from competitors. If the consolidation means they're canning that, Americanised marketing just isn't going to appeal to the wider European public in the same way. Unless you've spent time on both sides of the big pond it's not really something that's easy to appreciate.

The thing is Jim Ryan is the man behind a lot of the success in Europe, so if anyone is ever going to understand this, it's him.

I'm sure it'll be fine, even if it does seem a bit odd from the outside.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Not that there's ever good timing for layoffs but this comes across as a bad time a year before they're putting out a new console.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
lol, what is this?

2017: Gran Turismo Sport, Hatsune Miku, Gravity Rush 2, Tales of Berseria, Yakuza 0, Digimon, Nioh, Nier Automata, Persona 5
2018: Dissidia NT, Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Ni No Kuni 2, Deracine, Astro Bot, Fist of the North Star
2019: Death Stranding, Shenmue 3, Sakura Wars, Everybody's Golf VR, Judgment, Trails of Cold Steel 3, Zanki Zero

Are these games "all about America?"
All of those games are (or at one point, were) console exclusive, which shows Sony is still aware of the value of Japanese games.
Some of those games' exclusivity have nothing to do with Sony though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is Jim Ryan is the man behind a lot of the success in Europe, so if anyone is ever going to understand this, it's him.

I'm sure it'll be fine, even if it does seem a bit odd from the outside.
Apparently the EU marketing teams were not even in the know about the recent PS5 info blow-out in Wired.

I am guessing that marketing/PR at the brand level will be centralized in the US hence the lay-offs.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is whiffs of Late stage Xbox 360 around PlayStation for the last while.

It doesn't inspire confidence.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
What in the fuck? The UK team were amazing and did a lot of the crazy popular stunts during the start of the PS4 era that essentially regained the top spot from the Xbox 360, this whole SIEE thing is sounding crazy.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It's baffling to me how Sony is going through this when the PS4 couldn't have been a bigger success.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
This consolidation of power into just the US Branch is a major turn off. We've already seen results in terms of censorship and stuff... A lot of first party output has been homogenized as well.

Their JP studios output is low, and doesn't get the marketing or push it deserves. (RIP Gravity Rush.) Really wish they'd try out a 1st-party JRPG tbh.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think this will be a good move in the long run for PlayStation, but the job losses and growing pains here and now definitely hurt.

Oct 25, 2017
There is whiffs of Late stage Xbox 360 around PlayStation for the last while.

It doesn't inspire confidence.

Except for part about promising next gen hardware and still releasing amazing games right up until the end of the generation then sure. Exactly same. This thread is a trip. Funny watching people that clearly know nothing about business trying to analyze this situation.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The conflicting reports lately about the state of Sony is in itself creating uncertainty, at least looking from the outside in.

I think there is some concern that they are essentially restructuring large internal parts of their operations 1 year out from a massive worldwide console launch. Surely this type of restructuring and layoff of staff should not be happening 1 year out from a launch of your new console?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Nah this does not sound good to me...
Also who is the face of Playstation at this point? It feels more and more corporate by the day.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Creative services team... Those are often temp contracted roles where you can re-interview to stay on as permanent if your work is good enough and where your portfolio indicates you're capable as an art worker/graphic designer role etc. Like 2-3 months for junior artworker or a year or two senior. Also a lot of stuff now is heading towards getting external contractors rather than internal teams only as it's cheaper/faster as they're larger. Portfolios are normally built in these temp roles.

Be interested to know if the employees made redundant were temp/contracted/perm.

A lost job is never great, especially if you love it but if it was agreed contracted temp period then the situation is slightly different. A whole team seems odd though.

Marketing/PR similar thing not sure about that but could be beneficial long-term, if promotion offers and deals are global... global store? hopefully those it affects finds jobs quickly.

Seen some nastiness in business methodically worse than this, entire group of regional directors all let go. Immediate effect. That was crazy... Crazy world, but its sadly not all roses.

On another note job wise some temp/perm:
A lot of jobs available in Playstation UK careers page. Primarily games dev though, Manchester and Liverpool included I think.
And... a lot more on US PlayStation careers including interning various places, dev/non dev related. So anyone here wanna get in might be worth looking. I think there's next gen stuff there too like cloud and ui.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

Post 299 - it was an image in spoiler tags so it didn't show up in the quote, showing Jim taking SIEE out to be shot along with Liverpool, Evo and so on.

Which hasn't happened. There've been layoffs in the marketing and PR arms at SIEE and SIEA.

I'd like to add to my earlier post that marketing - especially when its as important to the company as it is to PS - is one area where wage budget oversight is often poor because its fast moving, has lots of contract work and so on.

Success is another factor leading to poor cost control as growth often means Opex spending rises quickly if headcounts aren't regularly reviewed, and when opex cost growth starts to outpace actual P&L growth, you review and retrench to control costs.

It's interesting to note that a lot of the roles are duplicated - I'm guessing a lot of those going are middle management, as that's the least productive (in terms of output) but also the quickest bit of a company bureaucracy to grow.

Edit again - do we know where in SIEE these people were made redundant? Just London, or across the EMEA offices?

Last edited:

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
You can never hide news of this nature behind anything. Special interest groups will always hear about it.

If they did it last week people would accuse them of hiding it behind the PlayStation Now announcment. The week before that, The Last of Us 2 previews.

Yesterdays Wired article was published almost 6 months since the previous Wired article.
I mean, during those weeks they did have other stuff to "hide", like Layden leaving. Sony doesn´t produce news of that calibre every week, let alone three weeks in a row. Coincidence or ill intentions is up to you, but it´s not true that they always have something like that to gather attention.

Jan 20, 2019
The conflicting reports lately about the state of Sony is in itself creating uncertainty, at least looking from the outside in.

I think there is some concern that they are essentially restructuring large internal parts of their operations 1 year out from a massive worldwide console launch. Surely this type of restructuring and layoff of staff should not be happening 1 year out from a launch of your new console?

Is the marketing team/pr team that is getting restructure not the entire company.

May 18, 2018
So a potentially more Americanized Sony? No thanks. I'll be keeping a close eye on Sony and their practices even more now. I wonder if the spread of different games that Sony is renowned for is gonna shrink so as to ensure more resources are spent in producing games that appeal more to an American market?

I knew this was coming. Sony been licking American balls far too much for my liking. In TLOU mp, almost all the time I'm getting fucked on via a tick rate disadvantage, is when I'm playing Americans. Why does the tick rate advantage always seem to favour those from the US?

Pricing is another one...

I would not be surprised if more shitty stuff happens to those outside of the US.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Please god no. This is my immediate concern. Europe is classy, has taste. America is Xbox. Yeah that's a bit reductive but it's not far from the truth. I don't trust the brand being led from America.

Dumb post. Plus your exact words from another thread on why ps4 suceeded....

Not an option but probably entrusting Mark Cerny and the other people on that design team to make the PS4 super developer friendly and not doing something esoteric again. If they'd done that they'd be toast (or would have had one hell of a fight).

Also, you probably have an iphone

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Is the marketing team/pr team that is getting restructure not the entire company.
In this particular round of layoffs yes but we remember Layden and other top execs leaving less than a week ago right?

Also restructuring the balances between all the SIE divisions in terms of turning them all from relatively autonomous divisions into a more centralised global division which would change reporting structures and likely result in further layoffs all while seriously prepping for their biggest hardware launch in 6 years just sounds concerning...

Jan 20, 2019
In this particular round of layoffs yes but we remember Layden and other top execs leaving less than a week ago right?

Also restructuring the balances between all the SIE divisions in terms of turning them all from relatively autonomous divisions into a more centralised global division which would change reporting structures and likely result in further layoffs all while seriously prepping for their biggest hardware launch in 6 years just sounds concerning...

That is their decision, beign 1 year before the ps5 is their best time to do it.

2 exect left the company last week, Layden and president of SIEJ which has already replace. Is just bussines, not quit sure has why you peopel are soo concerne about this, if they fucked up the lauch you will have other options to choose.

FBGMM2

Sep 15, 2018
Cancun MX
A shame the slogan "For the Players" was excellent and miles better that the US counterpart that only came with the slogan "Greatness awaits" WTF is that

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
At least a more unified Playstation will hopefully leave behind the issue of publishers having to make multiple submissions processes and pass several different, potentially costly certification processes. It lead to niche/indie games sometimes launching later in Europe, or not launching at all if the American release did poorly. Stranger of Sword City Revisited never getting a European release still hurts.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That is their decision, beign 1 year before the ps5 is their best time to do it.

2 exect left the company last week, Layden and president of SIEJ which has already replace. Is just bussines, not quit sure has why you peopel are soo concerne about this, if they fucked up the lauch you will have other options to choose.
Sorry what? Laying off PR and marketing people one year out from SIEs arguably biggest hardware launch when as we know the bulk of that work would be in motion right now is not concerning? Surely the best time for these restructures would have been either a year ago or a year after launch of PS5.

It is by far doom and gloom - Sony is in a commanding position and will hold it going forward but that doesn't mean that you can not be concerned about some of the recent news coming out of the company either - people lost their jobs in what has been a very successful generation for them.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony hiding this with ps5 news is shitty and needs to be called out. If this was EA people would be calling for blood.

Jan 20, 2019
Sorry what? Laying off PR and marketing people one year out from SIEs arguably biggest hardware launch when as we know the bulk of that work would be in motion right now is not concerning? Surely the best time for these restructures would have been either a year ago or a year after launch of PS5.

It is by far doom and gloom - Sony is in a commanding position and will hold it going forward but that doesn't mean that you can not be concerned about some of the recent news coming out of the company either - people lost their jobs in what has been a very successful generation for them.
Im not concern because the PR/Marketing team has nothing to do with the console/games and it happen now because a new CEO took over in April, soo yes, it is the best time( as company).

And acordly to the tweet, it has been happening since the beginning of the year, soo it start around 2 years before the lauch of the new console.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the American side of Sony will be in charge of PS5, goodbye weird European UI whatever it's called

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Couldn't brexit have something to do with this as well? Just a thought. I really have no idea.