• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 28, 2019
Whatever is going on in Sony right now it's not exactly inspiring brand loyalty, I mean, lay offs are just the worse but trying to hide it with the PS5 announcement is kinda scummy. It's been a whole barrage of good news and bad news coming out of PlayStation lately and being the market leader this is not how you should be acting.

This whole year they've been extremely silent, now I'm just wondering if there's a lot of internal fighting going on in all three branches of SIE. Perhaps that's been a contributing factor as well, I don't know I'm no expert in the field or anything. I just know going into 2020 they need too get loud to remind everyone why they are the market leader.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why they do it but if this move leads to more stupid decisions like offering "MLB The Show" as a PS+ title in EU they can f off.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer,
always a bad sign when you are at the top and still have to close studios or let people go.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
That's not how restructuring necessarily works. It might imply layoffs but it needn't.

it does when it's about restructuring a company that had significant regional autonomy to a more centralised global one.

It means any role that did largely the same jobs, but dedicated for different regions would be consolidated into significantly fewer roles.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
We had a similar ish situation at my job where we closed down an office in order to centralise everything. I was lucky enough to be at the main office but it still sucked. The people there got offered a job, but few people are willing to move to a different part of the country to keep their job. A few did it tough.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
That sucks. Arrogant Sony is back?
Kind of fits they`re partnering with Activison on exklusive deals./s
Hope the people who got laid off find a new job fast.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sony are expanding studios and making acquisitions. This restructuring is focused on marketing, licensing, that sort of thing. Each region was previously run independently but it's now centralised.

Bad sign probably wasn't the best term to describe the situation, what u meant to say is that it's always sad to see when these kind of optimization moves result in people losing their jobs, especially when the company is doing very well right now as the market leader.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Ugh, the fact that they got everything right this gen with PS4 and seeking to make so many changes is odd.

You know what they call a company that thinks everything's smooth sailing and they can just repeat what they did last time round to repeat the same success?

"Complacent."

Sony's actually been long criticised for its 'disconnected' nature as a business, just as much as that have been a strength for them. The fact that there are multiple PSN storefronts, no synergy in marketing activities/communication/discount/sale. They don't even have the same branding tagline ( US has Greatness Awaits, UK has 4ThePlayers, etc etc ). Those things don't get fixed without some serious rethinking about how they're structured.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
It clearly is the biggest market and home to the most important Sony studios, but I don't like that SIEA dominance at all. Let's not forget that the rest of the world and mainly Europe kept the brand afloat during the PS3 early years when they were getting killed by Xbox in the US.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
This was a controversy? For who?
There have been multiple threads here, multiple news articles, and lots of comments online.
I guess you missed it only if you don't care about japanese games (I'm not talking about the vita exclusive kind). It's a controversy given it gave devs more work for no reason, made them spend more money and time on something already approved, and had them communicate in english even for JP exclusive games.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Disgusting. Playstation is at its prime, Sony is sinking in money due to Playstation and then you hear people are getting fired :/

Layoffs are a sad part of business. Its not nice but happens all the time.

For example a few days ago, HP also a massive company are looking to layoff up to 16% of their entire workforce in the coming months.

Welcome to the real world

Last edited:

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Damn, would be weird to see PlayStation become Xbox and Xbox become PlayStation.
Not specifically referring to your post. But so many of the posts here and on social media appear at odds with what is happening. Comments referring to arrogance, complacency, complaints about the PS5 Wired teasers etc.

As referred to above. A company that doesn't adapt, address it's weaknesses, strengthen, is one that will struggle.

In PlayStation's case, the management structure is now streamlined. Headed by Jim Ryan, who ran PlayStation's most successful region, even making the PS3 a major success. Marketing, licensing deals etc., will now be focused and relevant in all markets.

The Wired teasers show a company aware of the power of social media and sites like this. The gaming news cycle shows no sign of slowing down with PS5 stories. And that was the point. Keep PS5 in the public eye without showing their full hand before PlayStation Meeting. Something that's still upto 6 months away.

On the software front we see investment in existing studios. With major acquisitions like Insomniac now coming on stream. Finally we see services and policies like PlayStation Now, Backwards Compatibility and Cross-Play being addressed well before PS5's reveal.

Seems to me they're getting their ducks in a row to launch next-gen with a bang.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So a potentially more Americanized Sony? No thanks. I'll be keeping a close eye on Sony and their practices even more now. I wonder if the spread of different games that Sony is renowned for is gonna shrink so as to ensure more resources are spent in producing games that appeal more to an American market?

I knew this was coming. Sony been licking American balls far too much for my liking. In TLOU mp, almost all the time I'm getting fucked on via a tick rate disadvantage, is when I'm playing Americans. Why does the tick rate advantage always seem to favour those from the US?

Pricing is another one...

I would not be surprised if more shitty stuff happens to those outside of the US.

What is this conspiracy nonsense?

Did it ever occur to you that TLOU mp doesn't use dedicated servers and therefore your connection to players might just be worse?

Man, EU and JPN Sony fans are losing their goddamn minds.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Not specifically referring to your post. But so many of the posts here and on social media appear at odds with what is happening. Comments referring to arrogance, complacency, complaints about the PS5 Wired teasers etc.

As referred to above. A company that doesn't adapt, address it's weaknesses, strengthen, is one that will struggle.

In PlayStation's case, the management structure is now streamlined. Headed by Jim Ryan, who ran PlayStation's most successful region, even making the PS3 a major success. Marketing, licensing deals etc., will now be focused and relevant in all markets.

The Wired teasers show a company aware of the power of social media and sites like this. The gaming news cycle shows no sign of slowing down with PS5 stories. And that was the point. Keep PS5 in the public eye without showing their full hand before PlayStation Meeting. Something that's still upto 6 months away.

On the software front we see investment in existing studios. With major acquisitions like Insomniac now coming on stream. Finally we see services and policies like PlayStation Now, Backwards Compatibility and Cross-Play being addressed well before PS5's reveal.

Seems to me they're getting their ducks in a row to launch next-gen with a bang.

+1

Funny though that several days ago "Europe was taking control".

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I like the seperate divisions of Sony as they have their own ideas and as he put it, flavors. Europe is PlayStation's largest market so i hope they don't lose comeplete control of how they want to run that region.

Would we even get stuff like from Europe under a full U.S. ran company?

Last edited:

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Damn this sucks. For someone in this field, it's a sobering reminder that it isn't just studios that get hit with layoffs. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Oct 25, 2017
People flat out denying this is in any way worth concern are just as wrong as those catastrophising that this is the end of Sony.

What it is the end of PlayStation AS WE KNOW IT. The end of a generation is always a time of change. These inflection points are times of vulnerability for companies. Particularly when one makes significant change to a formula that worked so well.

Look at Manchester United after Ferguson or Liverpool after they brought in Souness.

Major change can lead to serious disruption. At least in the short term.

Xbox HAD to make massive changes so its easy to gain positivity when they literally DID THE WRONG THING before. They know what their customers demanded of them and began the slog back.

Sony, on the other hand, built a huge base on the back of a specific model and they are now deviating from that.

Hey, it might work wonders but it's totally reasonable for concern.

There's already enough evidence out there that Sony employees themselves aren't exactly over the moon with these changes. Including one Mr Layden. We can safely put to bed any thoughts that his departure was an amicable "natural end of gen" situation in light of the wider struggles happening as a result of this restructure.

MS often get labelled as too US/UK Centric. One of the reasons Sony didn't was their localised aporoach. Getting rid of this is risky and they have to be mindful of how that can result in homogenisation in their output and messaging.

Better that fans voice concerns now than wait until its too late.

Does any really believe that Jim Ryan is going to neglect Europe now when that is literally his territory? And I can recall LOTS of complaining over the years about how the differences in marketing when it comes to game releases, sales, special edition consoles, etc. So let us not pretend that letting every region do their own thing was without flaws. As far as Shawn Layden is concerned he wanted to go multiplaform so I can't say I'm sorry to see his vision lose.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I like the seperate divisions of Sony as they have their own ideas and as he put it, flavors. Europe is PlayStation's largest market so i hope they don't lose comeplete control of how they want to run that region.

Would we even get stuff like from Europe under a full U.S. ran company?

Ya'll need to chill. Sony is one of the biggest Companies in the World as if they don't know how good marketing works. They will have a dedicated marketing team for every region, it's jst that one will take the shots about Budget etc.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Is this supposed to change my opinion on the matter?
Damn, hope everyone lands on their feet soon.
Sad.
Hope the affected people find new job soon.
Yeah. Hopefully they'll be fine. We are entering a new gen soon, I'm sure there will be a lot of marketing and PR positions opening up soon. There's been a lot of support already from people in the industry too.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Does any really believe that Jim Ryan is going to neglect Europe now when that is literally his territory? And I can recall LOTS of complaining over the years about how the differences in marketing when it comes to game releases, sales, special edition consoles, etc. So let us not pretend that letting every region do their own thing was without flaws. As far as Shawn Layden is concerned he wanted to go multiplaform so I can't say I'm sorry to see his vision lose.
I'm not all doom and gloom and think it'd be quite unlikely they'd do so because of how well Sony performs here, but its naive to think that just because the big boss is from the UK that Europe is safe from even a small amount of neglect going forward. Sony are a business and Jim Ryan is a businessman - money is the name of the game

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
User warned: antagonising other user
Lol. Is this supposed to change my opinion on the matter?

Oh definitely not, no. It's fairly well known that you rarely ever have your own opinion. You would rather quote others with "Lol" or "This" when you see an agenda you agree with.

What it is the end of PlayStation AS WE KNOW IT.

Hearing about job layoff's is never a good thing but surely it's a little hyperbolic to be making claims like that?

Jim has only been the big man for a short amount of time but already I think he's having a positive effect within the Playstation brand, what with pushing PS Now, etc.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am going to tell you a secret. There will be a couple of years of centralisation. Then it will go back to local areas and guess what will happen we will go back to centralisation.

The justification is easy to make. We want to make everything together so the messaging is the same. We want to be more responsive to issues closer in the region so we are expanding there.

This isn't to make light of people's losing there jobs it just the nature of things. When you have been in the workforce for a while you just see it happening all the time.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Jaxar Funny how you quickly edited your reply. Lol
It's called conspiracy theories, accept that people are gonna call you out for it.
Call them out if you like...It still wouldn't change people's opinions on the matter, I've called others out too but in the end you can't force/expect everyone to always agree with you. You can keep bothering about differing opinions or just move on.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the best for people who lost their jobs. Is sad seeing the european branch mistreated.

So Playstation US is slowly becoming the Nintendo NCL? The head honcho headquarters who calls all the shots instead of each division making their own choices? Could lead to optimization of performance in the future.

Though I'm not sure how Europe will take this as Playstation EU was a powerhouse in establishing and stabilizing the brand in Europe. Without that power and always having to cater to American power/American perspective, that might lead to dissonance. Curious as to why the need to change as it seems things were working out for each division pretty well by catering to each audience
The thing is, for nintendo each territory also has a independece in a lot of decissions. Remember when europe got all the japanese games during the wii days thanks to shibata running the show there? And reggie deciding they were not a good fir for the american market?
Also completely different marketing between the e territories.

We dont really know right now what sony is trying to do here. Maybe they go the nintendo way, thougj that wouldnt change a lot of how they are working now, or maybe they really internacionalise everything which could bite them in the ass (or not).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not all doom and gloom and think it'd be quite unlikely they'd do so because of how well Sony performs here, but its naive to think that just because the big boss is from the UK that Europe is safe from even a small amount of neglect going forward. Sony are a business and Jim Ryan is a businessman - money is the name of the game

Yes money is the name of the and dominating Europe is extremely important to their business. There is no rational reason think they are going to neglect a major component of their success. And of course Sony employees in Europe don't like it. Who does like losing power/influence? That doesn't mean it is the wrong move.