• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
H2x1_NSwitch_LaytonsMysteryJourneyKatrielleAndTheMillionairesConspiracyDeluxeEdition_enGB_image1600w.jpg

Metacritic - 74

Opencritic - 73

XGN - Dutch Review
Katrielle's adventure makes your brain work for progress on the Switch. With 40 new puzzles the game is the largest Layton game yet. The game is ported fantastically for the Switch and has never looked as great as this before. A definite must buy.

Millenium - French Review
Without proposing any incredible new features, this title is a successful port, adapted to the Switch's requirements. It is pleasant to (re)discover it, with improved graphics that help dynamise the investigations. Available at an honest price, Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy is a good way to get into the license. Those who have not yet solved the mysteries of the 3DS version will certainly enjoy it.

nintendolife
A strong puzzle game in its own right, although compared to the highs of its predecessors, it doesn't nearly hold up as well. Even so, the pleasant visuals, wonderful writing, and (mostly) strong puzzle design make this an easy sell, even if the occasional missteps in some of the puzzle answers and the lack of compelling new features for this re-release prove to be drawbacks. We'd give this a recommendation to anybody looking for a slower-paced game that still demands lots of attention. It's an excellent 'winding down before bed' sort of game, and though it might not fully live up to the series legacy, we're still excited for whatever Level-5 is planning next for Kat.

Thanks mazi for collecting the following:

Cerealkillerz (7.5/10, review in german):
As a non-expert on Papa Layton's predecessors, I experienced in Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire Deluxe conspiracy a fun-loving detective who solves many nice puzzles in a charming adventure across London, but because of the child-friendly presentation on much suspense and surprising solutions must give up.

Daily Nintendo (7/10, review in dutch):
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the millionaire plot - Deluxe Edition is a fun game that can certainly be entertaining. Unfortunately, the puzzles are often on the easy side and the control in TV style is not optimal. Fortunately, the game is playable via the touchscreen and the smaller items make it a lot easier to play a bit of the game along the way, without losing the thread in the entire story. If you are looking for a detective game to play at home or on the road, then Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the millionaire plot - Deluxe Edition is definitely worth a try!

Metro GameCentral (7/10):
A welcome return for one of gaming's greatest puzzle franchises, and while it's not quite the best in the series it certainly has the most content.

Nintendo Wire (7/10):
Given that this is the first Layton title on Nintendo Switch, it looks to be your best bet for games in its genre for the moment, even if you could pick up some of its better entries on an older platform. If you haven't tried Layton before, you could do worse than giving Layton's Mystery Journey a whirl, considering you'll get at least a couple dozen hours out of the experience. But if you've already played through Katrielle's quest once, then this is a port that you can safely skip over.

IGN Italy (6.5/10, review in italian):
The daughter of Professor Layton debuts on Switch proposing the same adventure already seen on 3DS and smartphones: it is a discreet spin-off, with some additions, but that in fact offers nothing new to those who had already played the adventure in the two years from the original launch. The puzzles are never exciting, and the structure divided by cases is less successful than the classic one seen in previous episodes. Recommended for fans of the saga, waiting for a main chapter of the series.

PlanetSwitch.de (60/100, review in german):
While Layer-5's Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire Deluxe conspiracy seeks to rebalance the brand, it inevitably has to compete with its predecessors - and unfortunately, Katrielle's puzzle adventure is bound to miss a lot. The largely independent episodes are far too short, so that one can really settle into the story and puzzle with the cases, especially with some of them, the solution is already halfway obvious. An overarching mystery that binds all events together is unfortunately missing as well, which is why the sudden end simply feels unsatisfactory, simply because it's the end of another mini-episode. Unfortunately, the riddles, too, hardly ever reach the level of the Professor Layton saga. Instead, Mystery Journey relies heavily on fast-paced puzzle puzzles and sliding puzzles, where you can achieve amazingly often with haphazard rumbling. And these weak points are just a pity, because a good base is quite there. Sure, you have to get used to the rather eccentric peculiarities of Katrielles group once, but as soon as they drive back in more episodes and actually focus more on the investigation, the team grows slowly to the heart. Also, the game keeps the high presentation level of the DS beginnings and offers picturesque, detailed environments with playful characters and occasional anime cutscenes. But unfortunately, all that does not help much, if you as a riddle veteran simply bored over long distances away. And the switch version does not actually offer enough added value, despite new scattered puzzles, to justify the new purchase for owners of the old versions. Nevertheless: If you are looking for a beginner-friendly representative of the Layton series, you will at least find a solid, if unfortunately anything but outstanding, puzzle game for friends of trick tasks. Only a worthy heir to the two previous trilogies should not be expected here.

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers are way more positive than Era's impressions... Maybe it's time to re-consider.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler: It's really bad. If you want a good Layton game, play the Curious Village on your phone.

OP
OP

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Spoiler: It's really bad. If you want a good Layton game, play the Curious Village on your phone.
Damn. :-/ Was actually looking forward to this, but the reviews also don't really help convincing me that it's worth it. At least from the perspective of a more classic Layton game fan.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. :-/ Was actually looking forward to this, but the reviews also don't really help convincing me that it's worth it. At least from the perspective of a more classic Layton game fan.
Unfortunately, the person behind the puzzles of the original games died (may he rest in peace), so L5 started doing it internally. So not even the puzzles are good. The story makes people doing bad things look nice because of their intentions, it's all a mess.

I'm a 2019 Level 5 fan that HATES this game. To be fair, Katrielle and the crew are all very cute and nice. But stay away.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the anime supposed to be far better than the game?

I also wouldn't have minded a follow-up to Layton Brothers since that game had an interesting story and ending

Nov 5, 2019
This game could have been better if they didn't try to break it up for smartphone monetization. The story also feels more juvenile.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
Decent reviews, the GF has been looking forward to returning to the Layton games at some point after only playing the DS games. Seems like a good time to jump back in, hopefully, there will be some deal during Black Friday.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard things about the puzzles being more about language gotchas then actual brain teasers. I think the older games had a sprinkling of those too and I enjoy the occasional one. Can you describe what the average puzzle is like and how it's bad?

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
What makes this so bad?

I played the first four games on DS and every entry was worst imo. The story was good but the first one was the best because it had the best pacing, puzzle after puzzle and less interaction with other characters and dialogue. The series should go back to its roots.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepur (no score):
Despite the occasional audio error or odd moment in a cutscene, Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy - Deluxe Edition is a gem of a game that does a great job continuing the franchise's legacy. It is a fun 18 plus hour adventure spent unraveling an exciting story that promises more puzzles than you will know what to do with.

GamingBoulevard (9.5/10):
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy is a great addition to any Nintendo Switch library and it's one of the best puzzle games you could get in stores. It's not entirely new but it adds enough fun new content to justify its price. This really is the Deluxe Edition and if you're into challenging puzzles, this is a must-have game for you!

Games.ch (71%, review in german):
In conclusion, we ask ourselves the question why a player should resort to the Deluxe version. Unfortunately, we have few arguments, especially since the game is available for a fraction of the money on the smartphone. Unfortunately, the additional puzzles and the polished look are not enough for a buy recommendation.

However, younger players without a smartphone or 3DS are welcome to access the series. Owners of previous releases, however, have to lower their expectations or better wait for a new issue - and hopefully with Hershel Layton again.

Moose Gazette (7/10):
In Short: A welcome return for one of gaming's greatest puzzle franchises, and while it's not quite the best in the series it certainly has the most content.

Pros: Enormous amount of content, with hundreds of puzzles of every description and several dozen new ones. Kat is a likeable protagonist and the dialogue and animated cut scenes are a lot of fun.

Cons: The formula is essentially the same as it was back on the DS, let alone 3DS, and yet the overall quality of puzzles isn't quite as high.

Last edited:

Antoo

May 1, 2019
What makes this so bad?

I played the first four games on DS and every entry was worst imo. The story was good but the first one was the best because it had the best pacing, puzzle after puzzle and less interaction with other characters and dialogue. The series should go back to its roots.

Everything besides the presentation is bad (visuals and music are top notch but once again just watch the anime). The puzzles in this game are awful and weren't designed by the person that used to make them. This results in more than 50% of them being trick questions with one word/number answers that are no fun at all.

The story is rubbish. It takes on an episodic format with cases of the week, which isn't inherently a bad thing. However, every case pretty much plays out the EXACT same way. I'm not kidding. Beat by beat with every resolution almost identical.

Finally, the main cast is dreadful. None of them really grow or have an arc in the entire game. Katrielle initially starts out interesting but she devolves into a character that only jokes about wanting to eat food. What drives her? Why is she doing what she is doing? Who knows. They set up the fact she was abandoned when she was young(this is the first 10 seconds of the game and was shown in trailers so it's not a spoiler). That's an interesting plot point! Nothing done with it.

The dog is generic JRPG mascot and that's even being too generous. At least nowadays they have some purpose like Morgana in P5 struggling with his existence. Here? Everyone insults the dog and talks down on him and it's played for laughs. That trope. The sidekick guy is also equally boring. His shtick is he loves Katrielle but is too shy to say it. That's it. That's his character.

So disappointing.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard things about the puzzles being more about language gotchas then actual brain teasers. I think the older games had a sprinkling of those too and I enjoy the occasional one. Can you describe what the average puzzle is like and how it's bad?
Above this post you got an amazing answer that I couldn't ever bother to write on my phone. I cosign what they wrote.
What makes this so bad?

Okay, so, you disliked how Layton games were less about puzzles after the first one. Sure. I can see that. Now, this game is all about constant dialogue and puzzles with gotcha moments (not really about logic, math etc). I'd say I like modern Layton (the 3ds games were story heavy), but this reboot is not it.

Isn't the Curious Village also heading to the Switch? I could swear I read that somewhere...
Nope.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Everything besides the presentation is bad (visuals and music are top notch but once again just watch the anime). The puzzles in this game are awful and weren't designed by the person that used to make them. This results in more than 50% of them being trick questions with one word/number answers that are no fun at all.

The story is rubbish. It takes on an episodic format with cases of the week, which isn't inherently a bad thing. However, every case pretty much plays out the EXACT same way. I'm not kidding. Beat by beat with every resolution almost identical.

Finally, the main cast is dreadful. None of them really grow or have an arc in the entire game. Katrielle initially starts out interesting but she devolves into a character that only jokes about wanting to eat food. What drives her? Why is she doing what she is doing? Who knows. They set up the fact she was abandoned when she was young(this is the first 10 seconds of the game and was shown in trailers so it's not a spoiler). That's an interesting plot point! Nothing done with it.

The dog is generic JRPG mascot and that's even being too generous. At least nowadays they have some purpose like Morgana in P5 struggling with his existence. Here? Everyone insults the dog and talks down on him and it's played for laughs. That trope. The sidekick guy is also equally boring. His shtick is he loves Katrielle but is too shy to say it. That's it. That's his character.

So disappointing.
Cripes, that sounds like a right mess.

I figured it was hard to screw up Layton and the flaws were just being more of the same

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
This game is not good.

Aside from all the (valid) complaints mentioned above regarding the poorly done story and the one dimensional characters, the puzzle design is just... dreadful.

I felt like I beat many puzzles saying "Huh... that was it?" (in that I was expecting it to be far more involved than what I just did, due to my experience with previous games). Still other puzzles were pretty much a direct ripoff of puzzles theyve used before in the series.

After reading WonderLuigi's comment above, it makes sense - if the original guy behind the puzzles passed away (RIP), that means most or all of the new content was cobbled together by Level 5, something that doesnt inspire confidence.

It's worth a couple of bucks on iOS I suppose. I played through it on an iPad and had a decent time. But if I paid full price for this I'd be extremely angry.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Really sad its not a good game wanted a Layton game on the switch to play around with.

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those games that makes me feel like I might either really like it or really dislike it, especially as a Layton fan. Unfortunately, ever since Level 5 created an international publishing branch for their games, their print runs have been really, REALLY small. Both the 3DS version of this game and Yokai Watch 3 are pretty hard to find physically.

So I'm getting this game as a "just in case" in the event it suddenly becomes hard to find and I would want a physical copy to try it out. And if I don't like it, I'll at least be able to sell it, getting the game for $30 anyhow.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the anime supposed to be far better than the game?

I also wouldn't have minded a follow-up to Layton Brothers since that game had an interesting story and ending

It is, unfortunately. I think what's weird is that the anime pretty much concludes Katrielle's story? Which makes me wonder if we were supposed to get some additional games in this series and the middling sales of the original pretty much shut down that idea.

I really miss this series though, in addition to buying this for the reason that it may be hard to find later on, I still want to support these games as I really love their aesthetic, music, gameplay, and plot (maybe not that last part for this game, but still).

Isn't the Curious Village also heading to the Switch? I could swear I read that somewhere...

It was listed on some localization archive site, even had a localization studio attached to the project. Given that the first Yokai Watch got a really quick remaster just last month, I could see this being announced during a January direct or something.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Made a quick OT for the Switch version.

Did anyone else pick up a copy? Anyone playing the game right now or are you all no longer interested in games that aren't part of the Strand genre ;)

OP
OP

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Oh, OC finally has its own page for the Deluxe Version. Nice, just added it.

Somewhat unfortunate that the Cerealkillerz Switch review is now listed on the 3DS release page. Oh well...
E: and Sector.sk's review as well.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't seem like this version has any of new story stuff. I'll just keep the 3ds version.