• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are there any instance in videogame where the story was half assed? The writer or director left it to the audience for interpretation. Some use this as an excuse for sequel or more buzz. For instance, Inception's spinning top ending and Shutter Island's ending. I had been waiting almost a decade to see what happened to Kratos at the end of GOW3. I'm worry that Cory might followed the trend of half assed writing for buzz. Some people like half assed writing so they can interpret their own story. I want the complete story from the author not opinion of vocal minority.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Inception and Shutter Island weren't half-assed. Not every story has to tell you every single detail and not leave anything open to discussion or interpretation.

DCEU movies on the other hand...with the exception of Wonder Woman.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
OP, do you think every story is puzzle box to be solved or a wiki to be filled out with details? Ambiguity isn't inherently bad or lazy and there's a disturbing trend of people claiming works are "incomplete" because they left something unanswered. It can be done very deliberately and effectively to challenge the audience.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ambiguity is not lazy. It's harder to get right then just dumping lore on your head.

OP
OP

Son

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ambiguity won't qualify for title of this thread because it's too intelligent & well thought. The thread is about laziness that pass off as great work ;)

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inception's spinning top wasn't to have an open ending, it was to show that when Cobb walked away to not watch it spin to that he rather not know if his world is real or not, as long as he was with his children.

Oct 25, 2017
Just because you don't like ambiguity doesn't make it laziness on the author's part. Ambiguity can be a very intentional writing choice for legitimate reasons and your own personal preference doesnt mean shit to authorial intent.

There are sometimes examples when ambiguity in writing is legitimately used to hide shortcomings but the examples you gave (like the spinning top) make it seems that's not actually what you're talking about, you just don't like ambiguity in general.

And to that I say....okay.

3fD44Gv.png

This is basically a lazy devs thread.

Last edited:

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Mario series has generated a lore that derived from neither laziness nor intentional ambiguity.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Ambiguity won't qualify for title of this thread because it's too intelligent & well thought. The thread is about laziness that pass off as great work ;)

Yet you neglect to explain why the ambiguous endings you've listed are lazy or poorly written. I'll agree that God of War III isn't a shining example of excellent writing but there's nothing about the ending that's particularly lazy. Kratos manages to survive his wound and escapes. Now he's in a new area after escaping. What's particularly ambiguous or lazy about that?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just because you don't like ambiguity doesn't make it laziness on the author's part. Ambiguity can be a very intentional writing choice for legitimate reasons and your own personal preference doesnt mean shit to authorial intent.

There are sometimes examples when ambiguity in writing is legitimately used to hide shortcomings but the examples you gave (like the spinning top) make it clear that's not actually what you're talking about, and you're just angry that writers don't always spill their guts to you. You just don't like ambiguity in general.

And to that I say....okay.

3fD44Gv.png
^^^^^

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
A more obvious one, Mass Effect 3 with the original ending.

The developers felt it had to be changed, and the original ending ignore closure to the characters, and some had crazy eyes Joker and Edi escaping from one of the 3 coloured galaxies. Then Buzz Aldrin talking on a screen saver background

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I really dislike the way that "Lazy" can simply mean something you don't like.
As if it's literally impossible that something couldn't have been made for you and the fact that it doesn't cater to your every whim simply means it's the fault of the creator.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Just because you don't like how the story ends doesn't mean it's lazy. Examples given by OP had perfectly fine endings given the context and subject of the films.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
How is 'Inception's ending lazy? They have build up to that ending scene with several cues throughout the movie. Ending your movie with a scene without dialogue; a scene that's purely visual, but still manages to raise a lot of questions is pretty great script writing, I would say (and that's coming from someone who didn't particular liked 'Inception'. But you have to give credit where credit is due).

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
You do realise that ambiguity is a creative choice and not a request for you to fill in the blanks and create your own ending right? Inceptions ending is ambiguous because the answer to the spinning top does not matter.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind ambiguous, left to interpreration endings, but I honestly prefer well thought out closures. The Prestige is a good example and one I prefer over all other Nolan movies that have ambivalent endings.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like opinions like the OP's are the reason we have so many shitty, boring Hollywood endings in western video games.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, don't watch Total Recall then, because the ending isn't 100% clear. Don't listen to The Wall either, because it literally ends mid-sentence (which is also how the album starts, with the second half of that sentence).

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Is Kingdom Hearts lazy? I can't tell if it's lazy or convoluted, but I am just disappointed at how bad they are at telling stories. I loved the first 2 games, but it's like they didn't go anywhere. It seems like a lot of disjointed nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.