• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but star platinum is the same. I can point to several times if should have torn a person in half but didn't. Its for the sake of the pacing.

We know those stands can kill peolle with their fists

The first stand fight literally shows GE isn't that big of a deal when it comes to a spiritually physical fist-fight. Star Platinum is not the same, they spend the whole part talking about how it'll fuck your shit up. It's just that part 3 was too merciful against the enemies ("retired", "hospitalized") and Jotaro's character isn't about being a killer. So far people are not getting retired, they're fucking killed with the exception of the boat guy and kraft werk, and even then they got a fate worse than most stand users in part 3. Also Giorno WILL kill you, and there's no "if" attached to it.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Illuso : " WHERE IS THE KEY?"

Abbachio : "Dude, didn't you see it when you put a mirror right beside it?"

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joseph beat Kars by accidentally having him punch the red stone which caused a volcano to erupt which caused Kars to get launched into the sky and then got randomly put into a choke hold by Joseph's disembodied arm which distracted him enough to be launched into space by some small rocks.

And that was the finale

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The first stand fight literally shows GE isn't that big of a deal when it comes to a spiritually physical fist-fight. Star Platinum is not the same, they spend the whole part talking about how it'll fuck your shit up. It's just that part 3 was too merciful against the enemies ("retired", "hospitalized") and Jotaro's character isn't about being a killer. So far people are not getting retired, they're fucking killed with the exception of the boat guy and kraft werk, and even then they got a fate worse than most stand users in part 3. Also Giorno WILL kill you, and there's no "if" attached to it.
Yeah, against sticky fingers.

A super punch ghost.

Know who also isn't a big deal in a physical way?

stone Free. Stone Free'll beat your ass dead.

The point is any if those punch ghosts could physically beat you to death. Which is why they are punch ghosts.

Unlike say Echoes or hermit purple or Magician's red.

Where you take away the ability and they... yeah they got nothing.

You're not gonna be able to shrug those stands off if they wanna just phsyically beat your ass... cause they're gonna physically beat your ass.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, against sticky fingers.

A super punch ghost.

Know who also isn't a big deal in a physical way?

stone Free. Stone Free'll beat your ass dead.

The point is any if those punch ghosts could physically beat you to death. Which is why they are punch ghosts.

Unlike say Echoes or hermit purple or Magician's red.

Where you take away the ability and they... yeah they got nothing.

You're not gonna be able to shrug those stands off if they wanna just phsyically beat your ass... cause they're gonna physically beat your ass.

I mean yeah but that's pretty much any humanoid with two functioning arms and average height at the end of the day. Point is that the possible fist fight is hardly into question so far in part 5 and they don't define stands. Only Purple Haze is physically strong as fuck, and he will fuck you up before he even begins to punch you

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean yeah but that's pretty much any humanoid with two functioning arms and average height at the end of the day. Point is that the possible fist fight is hardly into question so far in part 5 and they don't define stands. Only Purple Haze is physically strong as fuck, and he will fuck you up before he even begins to punch you
We really forgetting what giorno does to those cars in Baby Face huh?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Star Platinum having time stop makes a degree of sense in the context of Part 3. The only other stand in that part that's short range and has both super strength and super speed is The World. They're identical in practically every way, and no other stand is even remotely like that.

But then half of the stands in Part 4 and 5 are punch ghosts, and it turns into total nonsense.
I still like that fan theory that Dio was supposed to have an amalgamation of all the Joestars' stands. That's the only way that makes sense to me. I'm sorry, but commenting "they're the same type" DURING the fight and only a couple of episodes away from the The World's reveal is not foreshadowing at all lol. At least part 5 triiiies to justify some uhhh... questionable logic behind how Giorno's power works
honestly, aside from brick snake, I'm fine with most of Giorno's "life hax", it's the reflecting thing that seems kinda weird to me in hindsight
I can have fun with Araki suddenly dropping science snapple facts about how powerful a volcano is or how antibodies grow resistant to poison gas, but it's hard to enjoy Jotaro suddenly being handed the keys the victory.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
*takes a deep sniff*

Y'all smell that?

It smells like Pure 110% 24 carat golden experience BULLSHIT! lol

Illuso is an idiot. I haven't seen this level of fucking oneself over into defeat since the Oingo Boingo episode lol
He had three opportunities to kill Fugo and Abacchio, but stopped just short of doing it because of paranoia and overconfidence.
It was silly of me to think that Giorno would create life in his own body, like creating new white blood cells and antibodies to fight the virus. But LMAO NAH. JUST TURN A BRICK THAT WAS EXPOSED BY THE VIRUS INTO A SNAKE, WHICH IS IMMUNE TO THE VIRUS, AND INJECT ITS BLOOD INTO YOUR BODY!

I thought the episode was fine, but Illuso trying to ham it up didn't work smoothly for me this time.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
I still like that fan theory that Dio was supposed to have an amalgamation of all the Joestars' stands. That's the only way that makes sense to me. I'm sorry, but commenting "they're the same type" DURING the fight and only a couple of episodes away from the The World's reveal is not foreshadowing at all lol. At least part 5 triiiies to justify some uhhh... questionable logic behind how Giorno's power works
honestly, aside from brick snake, I'm fine with most of Giorno's "life hax", it's the reflecting thing that seems kinda weird to me in hindsight
I can have fun with Araki suddenly dropping science snapple facts about how powerful a volcano is or how antibodies grow resistant to poison gas, but it's hard to enjoy Jotaro suddenly being handed the keys the victory.
Completely disagree, jotaro getting the world power was predictable, it's the same stand as DIO's, shit was obvious.
But on the other hand Gold Experience is inconsistent bullshit stand, today's episode proves it.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Fugo's Stand should have antidote gas at least or he really is a useless member of the team. He literally can't fight with anyone or they'll die. Well...unless they're Giorno.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Fugo's Stand should have antidote gas at least or he really is a useless member of the team. He literally can't fight with anyone or they'll die. Well...unless they're Giorno.
I mean the range of the virus is pretty short and weakened by light so if they keep their distance they would be fine well as long as Fugo doesn't shoot one of his capsules

He could work with Narancia who has long range attacks

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
The fact that Purple Haze can throw these capsules kinda defeats the point of him being really dangerous. Send him as far as you can and then just let him punch the air and throw the capsule and that's it, your allies are safe

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I usually like JoJo fights where characters have to team up to defeat a single enemy more than I like 1v1s, and this fight was no exception. My favourite fight of Part 5 so far.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Jojo is easier to swallow once you understand it's part of an informal category of manga called "serious gag".
Some series make you laugh because they are actually funny, some make you laugh because they are poorly written, but "serious gag" series are at the same time neither and both. Prominent examples are Jojo, Glass no Kamen (the most hardcore manga series about a pure young girl learning the art of theatre), and maybe more comical and less serious, Baki or Prince of Tennis.

These series have two simultaneous reading levels, one on the surface where the action is gripping and things are very serious and extreme, the other being "what? No, that's not how it work. No, stop it, it's dumb. No, that's... OK, whatever". A serious gag series takes itself very seriously, and never laughs at itself, so you're never really sure whether you're laughing with or at it.
One of my favourite serious gag moments of Jojo was the rock-paper-scissor boy. It was a life-or-death R-P-S battle shown like it was Goku vs Freeza, with casual drops of the philosophical implications of Alexander the Great's prowess in battle. There was not a single gag in the battle, the stakes were the potential demise of one of the most powerful allies, and yet the whole volume is the most hilarious of the 100+ of the series. To me, the best moments of Jojo are those that manage to have both elements maxed out for the entire battle.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
instantly
The fact that Purple Haze can throw these capsules kinda defeats the point of him being really dangerous. Send him as far as you can and then just let him punch the air and throw the capsule and that's it, your allies are safe
It's probably because there's no cure (until Giorno bullshit) and you have 30 seconds before you're dead that makes it risky since one fuck up and you lose a limb or dead

Well until Giorno

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Question - Do you think Abbachio suffers from depression and do you think it is a good protrayal of it?

It's kind of hard to tell, I mean the cynicism and willingness to die for the mission can be explained either way. He isn't the only team member willing to sacrifice themselves as a means of completing a mission. He clearly sees his past self in Giorno so maybe that triggers his depression but at this specific point in the story it's hard to tell.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Doesn't feel anything anymore
Finds comfort in following and executing orders

Yeah he's fucked up

Which makes sense that the only way he can find any sort of happiness is when he is following orders - like a police officer. The only way he feels happy is doing something that's at least somewhat close to his former job

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Giorno's entire plan would've fallen apart if Man in the Mirror just bothered to finish off Fugo and Abbachio when he had the chance. Instead he was an idiot who kept getting distracted right before dealing each fatal blow.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Giorno knew MitM didn't kill Fugo because he could still see Purple Haze, as he explained at the end of last episode. He then rebuilt the mirror, noticed the pieces were missing=> some Death-Note-level deduction skills=> brick-snake.
As for Abbachio, once the hand had brought the key back to him, his fate was irrelevant.

Do not forget that Giorno Giovanna has a dream, and his dream has nothing to do with being accepted by Abbachio and the others. We know he's using them for his own purpose. One of the most delightful things with Giorno is how polite he talks to everyone in the gang, almost to sound obsequious, while the rest of the time (in his monologues, and in his first episodes, alone and with Koichi) he was talking at a much more neutral level. In Japanese, it's delightfully in-your-face. He cares about his surface relations with the others, and nothing more.
It's difficult to know what Araki was thinking would happen to the rest of the story at this point, but since Giorno's goal is to become a gang star, there's still the possibility his current allies would become enemies. And at this point, Giorno already knows about everyone's stands except Narancia's, he has earned some respect from Mista and Fugo, and after this fight, he even has complete immunity to Fugo's powers. If things were to go south, he has the upper hand, while even the members who knows his power are not prepared to face the amount of bullshit Giorno can make up.
Giorno is a scheming, double-faced, manipulative asshole, and that's why he's awesome.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At first I thought Giotto gave the virus life and turned it into him.

The actual explanation was somehow even dumber.

Oct 25, 2017
Giorno knew MitM didn't kill Fugo because he could still see Purple Haze, as he explained at the end of last episode. He then rebuilt the mirror, noticed the pieces were missing=> some Death-Note-level deduction skills=> brick-snake.
As for Abbachio, once the hand had brought the key back to him, his fate was irrelevant.

Do not forget that Giorno Giovanna has a dream, and his dream has nothing to do with being accepted by Abbachio and the others. We know he's using them for his own purpose. One of the most delightful things with Giorno is how polite he talks to everyone in the gang, almost to sound obsequious, while the rest of the time (in his monologues, and in his first episodes, alone and with Koichi) he was talking at a much more neutral level. In Japanese, it's delightfully in-your-face. He cares about his surface relations with the others, and nothing more.
It's difficult to know what Araki was thinking would happen to the rest of the story at this point, but since Giorno's goal is to become a gang star, there's still the possibility his current allies would become enemies. And at this point, Giorno already knows about everyone's stands except Narancia's, he has earned some respect from Mista and Fugo, and after this fight, he even has complete immunity to Fugo's powers. If things were to go south, he has the upper hand, while even the members who knows his power are not prepared to face the amount of bullshit Giorno can make up.
Giorno is a scheming, double-faced, manipulative asshole, and that's why he's awesome.
He's Dio's son for a reason lol. I love this description of him.

Oct 25, 2017
Brick snake makes almost too much sense to be in Jojo. I seriously don't get what the hang up is. Again, it's something that's actually grounded in real biological principles.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I was oddly less fussed about Brick snake and more about "30 seconds have totally passed by now, drop dead Giorno"
Damn anime time, never consistent!

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I was oddly less fussed about Brick snake and more about "30 seconds have totally passed by now, drop dead Giorno"

I was thinking that for the anime adaptation, they should have added Giorno cutting off circulation to his arm with a belt or rope or something to slow down the spread of the virus, and then he later say a line about having gotten the idea from heroin addicts, but Giorno didn't have access to any object he could use in that way.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Giorno is insane. In a genius way. I actually think he's also a great manipulator, but you never get to see his true thoughts. Does he see the gang as expendable, or does he realize he needs them to fulfill his dream ? Does he want to fit in, or is it just a facade ?

He's like Dio, but with social skills. That's an even scarier proposition.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Oh shit I love this

Also I didn't realize Giorno is now immune to Purple Haze and it's fucking me up. So many possibilities

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giorno is insane. In a genius way. I actually think he's also a great manipulator, but you never get to see his true thoughts. Does he see the gang as expendable, or does he realize he needs them to fulfill his dream ? Does he want to fit in, or is it just a facade ?

He's like Dio, but with social skills. That's an even scarier proposition.
I feel he atleast trusts Bucciarati enough considering he flat out told Bruno his plan beforehand

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I was thinking that for the anime adaptation, they should have added Giorno cutting off circulation to his arm with a belt or rope or something to slow down the spread of the virus, and then he later say a line about having gotten the idea from heroin addicts, but Giorno didn't have access to any object he could use in that way.
My head canon is that Giorno's vampire DNA slowed down the virus' infection.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
another thought about Brick Snake

i don't think Giorno so much created a brick-snake hybrid as he did cause a snake to grow out of the brick

so the brick the snake grew out of is still attached, but the snake part of Brick Snake is a fully organic snake that happens to be attached to a brick

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Good episode although it was a bit confusing. and I hate when they write it so the villain has multiple opportunities to kill someone...but don't or end up stopping right before they do. Yeah I know plot armor and whatnot but come on.

Also I know people like to discuss asspulls in this series, and this is along the same lines but more specifically...a lot of the fights in this series honestly pull a lot of asspulls in a non-organic manner.

Like you'll always have a villain pull out some new shit you can't really predict, and then you're like "OK, how's the protagonist(s) going to get out of this one?" but then it turns out the protagonist is a genius and has already thought a few steps ahead, even though just two seconds ago they had a look of horror, and they pull out a "Oh I already did this or that, or setup this and that while you didn't realize, even though I barely know your powers". So the characters are pulling out some Aizen level fuckery for things they don't understand and have the capability to counter even in advance.

It seems like most fights are written this way, and I'm not suggesting a better way to write them but this is just something I've noticed across the series. Every character seems to have a magician's hat + crystal ball handy at all times.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about asspulls there aren't enough people talking about Star Platinum's psychic medical procedures or when it just straight up inhaled Enya's stand Justice and how it made her pass out.

Or the time Kakyoin and Polnareff were able to make their stands microscopic and go inside Joseph's head.

What was the foreshadowing here?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about asspulls there aren't enough people talking about Star Platinum's psychic medical procedures or when it just straight up inhaled Enya's stand Justice and how it made her pass out.

Or the time Kakyoin and Polnareff were able to make their stands microscopic and go inside Joseph's head.

It's really obvious Araki didn't really fully thought out stands like how stands can go small by focusing stand energy into small that never comes out

Like Star Finger was Jotaro focusing his stand energy on his fingers which is why he can stretch but nope it's an special attack now

Araki in part 3 was probably playing around with the idea of stand energy but then changed his mind

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The foreshadowing was really "that's how shônen manga were written at the time". Honestly, one of the reason part 3 is so popular in Japan is that it helped slowly make things more organized and require less improvisations "actually I can do that too". It started that way, but matured gradually, and the Egypt part of Part 3 has very few things like these. N'doul or Maraiah's battles are more settled and smarter than Lovers or Justice (or Wheels of Fortune, or Moon, or...), and much more interesting because of that. It's a gradual process from almost 30 years ago. When you see how quickly we went from "Star Platinum can do everything because I need it to" to Kira's whole arc, it's quite easy to understand how Jojo gained its status in Japan. Kira in Shônen Jump was Death Note 10 years before Death Note (DN's Kira is called like that for a reason: it owes a huge amount to Yoshikage).

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look I have no problem with the fact that SDC was filled with ass pulls... I'm just saying that Time Stop and Star Finger had some sort of foreshadowing or references to the past. Inhalation, shrinking, and starting hearts didn't and as far as narrative goes these are more egregious.