• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Pretty reminiscent of the way MadHouse was introducing the Chimera Ants, but I might prefer this more since they're not leaving things out and actually adding to it.

I think this was the first episode I would say was outright boring for me. The battle was way too slow paced, and it felt disjointed with the backstory of the hitmen inserted into the conflict. For once, the constant exposition got to me, and I had about enough.
You could handle the exposition in the last episode, but this was no good?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You could handle the exposition in the last episode, but this was no good?
Last episode had a lot going on. The exposition wasn't the usual battle exposition of, "I'm going to scream out loud about what is happening and what I'm doing for longer than I'm going to actually show myself doing it."

There were a bunch of new characters introduced. There was the revelation that the boss has a daughter. I got to see how Narancia handles himself on his own for the first time, and also discover what his stand is. There was the introduction to a new enemy, and also what his stand is. There were several interactions with the main cast, seeing Bucciarati hand off the treasure and get promoted, etc.

Pretty much nothing happens in this episode. The hitmen backstory was good, but it interrupted the fight in an awkward way where I already just wanted to see where it was going because I felt it was stalling too much. I just want to see the fight's resolution instead of being engrossed in it at this point.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Narancia is definitely more intelligent than Okuyasu. He's a dummy but he's more than capable where it counts

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna be real with you guys.

I wasn't feeling this episode.....right until the flashback started! Holy hell! The Hitman Team looks wild.
We joke about JoJo characters being fashion models, but those outfits are beyond "bizarre".
One of them looks like a carrot. lol Reminds me of the wide neck guy.

Sorbet and Gelato got done MAJOR DIRTY! Holy fuck! Araki hasn't lost his knack for creative kills.

The only reason Formaggio is still alive is due to partially dumb luck and Narancia not feeling a man the size of a Ken doll in his back pocket. lol
Only in JoJo can you have a tiny man riding on a rat while being chased by a small spirit airplane.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
DavidPro continue to be masters. This episode was well-arranged and I love them for it.

My fave character from this arc has appeared!

zNEazAM.jpg
I got so hyped!

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Last episode had a lot going on. The exposition wasn't the usual battle exposition of, "I'm going to scream out loud about what is happening and what I'm doing for longer than I'm going to actually show myself doing it."

There were a bunch of new characters introduced. There was the revelation that the boss has a daughter. I got to see how Narancia handles himself on his own for the first time, and also discover what his stand is. There was the introduction to a new enemy, and also what his stand is. There were several interactions with the main cast, seeing Bucciarati hand off the treasure and get promoted, etc.

Pretty much nothing happens in this episode. The hitmen backstory was good, but it interrupted the fight in an awkward way where I already just wanted to see where it was going because I felt it was stalling too much. I just want to see the fight's resolution instead of being engrossed in it at this point.
If you're an anime only, I can understand why this episode might be a little bit off. This episode is 100 percent fanservice for those who've already read the manga, and DP had to shove it in an awkward during the fight to make it work. Up to the end credits, this fight was pretty much nonstop in the manga.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're an anime only, I can understand why this episode might be a little bit off. This episode is 100 percent fanservice for those who've already read the manga, and DP had to shove it in an awkward during the fight to make it work. Up to the end credits, this fight was pretty much nonstop in the manga.
Yeah sometimes having knowledge of what goes down helps immensely. I'm honestly just enjoying the overall presentation and effort in this season since Part 5 is one of my favorite manga parts and I'm glad DavidPro is fixing this part. Pretty much what they're adding and reshuffling helps Part 5 make more cohesive overall sense since parts of the manga are a mess.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah sometimes having knowledge of what goes down helps immensely. I'm honestly just enjoying the overall presentation and effort in this season since Part 5 is one of my favorite manga parts and I'm glad DavidPro is fixing this part. Pretty much what they're adding and reshuffling helps Part 5 make more cohesive overall sense since parts of the manga are a mess.
Yep, this is looking to be the best anime adaptation by faaaaar. I personally loved the beginning of part 5 as is, but DP is already putting in the effort to make the overall package more complete. More crew interactions, more organized character backstories, more of La Squadra, and Giorno is already sooooo much better in this part (more understandable motivations, emotive voice acting, etc.). I'm so excited to see how they'll interpret this part later down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this is looking to be the best anime adaptation by faaaaar. I personally loved the beginning of part 5 as is, but DP is already putting in the effort to make the overall package more complete. More crew interactions, more organized character backstories, more of La Squadra, and Giorno is already sooooo much better in this part (more understandable motivations, emotive voice acting, etc.). I'm so excited to see how they'll interpret this part later down the line.
Yeah the Giorno stuff in the beginning was great. You were really able to see that Giorno is a Joestar...until he has to bring out his inner Brando. This part overall seems to have a much stronger beginning than Part 4. I honestly wish they just made all of the eps and just released them Netflix style so I could marathon this, but I will admit I rewatch these when I'm in the mood to.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
If DP is really out here trying to fix Part 5, which tbh is hard to deny with that dinner scene
and how much that scene changes the formula. RIP Episodic boyz

then...holy shit..
giphy.gif

part 5 might be even crazier than we thought

Oct 25, 2017
If DP is really out here trying to fix Part 5, which tbh is hard to deny with that dinner scene

then...holy shit..
giphy.gif

Funny enough this part was a slow burn till Formaggio showed up. Now it's really going into high gear.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Here I am, hours after watching the episode, and I'm still obsessing over how well-executed the hitman scenes were.

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Well, Giorno was always this way in the manga. Nothing's changed there

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well, Giorno was always this way in the manga. Nothing's changed there
I'm not someone who hates Giorno like other people (he's better than Jotaro and Jonathan, fight me), but no he wasn't? In the manga, Giorno's motivations were pretty much bullet points (i.e italy corrupt, drugs bad, gangstar straightened my life ), whereas the anime added scenes and weaved through all those points to make a MUCH stronger pathos. And I'm not saying he's emotionless in the manga, but voice acting can elevate a character and add sooo many layers of performance that Araki and all his vogue face tendencies can't.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not someone who hates Giorno like other people (he's better than Jotaro and Jonathan, fight me), but no he wasn't? In the manga, Giorno's motivations were pretty much bullet points (i.e italy corrupt, drugs bad, gangstar straightened my life ), whereas the anime added scenes and weaved through all those points to make a MUCH stronger pathos. And I'm not saying he's emotionless in the manga, but voice acting can elevate a character and add sooo many layers of performance that Araki and all his vogue face tendencies can't.
Anime Giorno comes off as a lot more charismatic. His VA hits all of the right points for him.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Is someone keeping a list of the real names of the stands as compared to the crunchyroll subs somewhere on the internet? As an anime only person I'd like to see a comprehensive list up to episode 10.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Is someone keeping a list of the real names of the stands as compared to the crunchyroll subs somewhere on the internet? As an anime only person I'd like to see a comprehensive list up to episode 10.

Golden Wind = Gold Experience
Zipper Man = Sticky Fingers
Moody Jazz = Moody Blues
Six Bullets = Sex Pistols
L'il Bomber = Aerosmith

Shadow Sabbath = Black Sabbath
Tender Machine = Soft Machine
Arts & Crafts = Kraftwerk
Tiny Feet = Little Feet

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Wow, that episode was amazing. I don't remember much about this fight at all since I only ever read it with the garbo scans, but it's a pretty fun encounter.

I LOVED the anime-only stuff. Ghiacchio with Bakugo's voice actor is great and
Ciccolatta and Secco appearing as the guys chopping up Sorbet is such a cool addition.

Oct 25, 2017
Narancia is pretty amazing this episode and this entire arc, can only pray the writing holds up and he gets out of this situation. Lil Bomber is easily best stand in the entire franchise and its so good, I like how they even showed what its weakness was and how Narancia is capable of altering his strategy to take into account all things in the situation and also how he is concerned about hitting randos.

Narancia also was pretty great both jumping onto the pad to leave the store but also shooting the coins and the thing for the phone. Best smart lead this season.

Transition to Backstory and back from it felt kind of weird and random, why did he suddenly think of it while in drainage water.

Baks VA someday he can use a different voice, someday.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This fight is great because it's seen from the villain's point of view. Instead of our hero trying to figure out wtf the enemy Stand does, it's the villain trying to figure out what the hero's Stand does.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Narancia is pretty amazing this episode and this entire arc, can only pray the writing holds up and he gets out of this situation. Lil Bomber is easily best stand in the entire franchise and its so good, I like how they even showed what its weakness was and how Narancia is capable of altering his strategy to take into account all things in the situation and also how he is concerned about hitting randos.

Narancia also was pretty great both jumping onto the pad to leave the store but also shooting the coins and the thing for the phone. Best smart lead this season.

Transition to Backstory and back from it felt kind of weird and random, why did he suddenly think of it while in drainage water.

Baks VA someday he can use a different voice, someday.

it's Aerosmith. AEROSMITH. Do not disgrace him. To do so is to insult Narancia too.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I'm really enjoying the story reordering and retouching DP is doing so far. Since the manga is long finished and known, David Productions can do some stuff in service of the story to make it flow better than it did when Araki was writing it weekly. It really makes me excited for their attempt at part 6 which I think has a few things that could be cleaned up beautifully by them.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

then...holy shit..
giphy.gif

Honestly, i was only expecting small changes to Part 5 but considering they are adding all this anime original content - it makes it even better

Oct 26, 2017
Aerosmith is reaaaally good for search and destroy missions.
I didn't even know it had a submarine-esque radar. I was like. "wut?"

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode.

Hyped for the next two fights (especially the one after next). David Pro is knocking it out of the park.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
In my honest opinion, i feel so far this David Production have adapted Part 5 better than Bones did with My Hero Academia

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

I don't see how he wasn't. It's like saying voice acting changed Joseph Joestar. They didn't add sudden bouts of emotions for Giorno, they were always there.

He also killed Polpo in cold blood in the manga

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Literally the only added scene for Giorno is him stealing from the girls. Everything else is from the manga.

Edit: oh and the scene of him watching his rolemodel get confronted by the drug dealer's kid

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
I just recently started the JoJo anime (currently about halfway through the first season of Stadust Crusaders) and I honestly liked OG Season 1 the best with the corny English dub from Jonathan/Dio/Speedwagon.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Not a particularly high bar, I've always preferred MHA as a manga barring the occasional exception
The thing with the MHA Anime is while it is good/great, it doesn't do anything to particularly elevate the source material outside of animating it. David Productions is actively making Part 5 better by changing/altering stuff as well as putting in new content which is my opinion is what an anime adaption should do.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man David Pro is truely one of the best anime studios in the business. I really loved Part 5 but the anime is making it so much better with all the added content. I also love the twist of expectations this arc is pulling by making Narancia the "stand user" instead by following the villain reacting.

At this point I am really interested in how David Pro would adapt Jorge Joestar novel because they are really outdoing themselves. After they adapt everything JoJo of course.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how he wasn't. It's like saying voice acting changed Joseph Joestar. They didn't add sudden bouts of emotions for Giorno, they were always there.

He also killed Polpo in cold blood in the manga

Oh yeah of course, I'm not talking about BIG changes, but more subtle inflections and reactions. It's also hard to convey "charisma" through text, and the voice actor pulls that off perfectly. There's also a couple of small art tweaks for some panels that better show things like Giorno smiling more in the airport and showing more concern for the Mario janitor. Not saying these are faults of the character at all, but moreso the limitation of the manga medium and the benefits of having a whole production put into this adaptation.

Literally the only added scene for Giorno is him stealing from the girls. Everything else is from the manga.

Edit: oh and the scene of him watching his rolemodel get confronted by the drug dealer's kid

Well, these "two" scenes added:

-Giorno greeting the two women, getting the wallet back, and getting some of their money himself. This reinforces Giorno's friendly AND deviant side, and shows he's not above protecting others for a service fee.

-Giorno walking through alleyways of drug addicts, drug addicts, and criminals. This immediately establishes the setting, the crime and gangster riddled world of Vento Aureo. Seeing Giorno disgusted and concerned already tells us that Giorno has lived this through hellhole and gives us the "why" to his motivations. Seeing how Italy is corrupt from his perspective makes us empathize with the character and understand how much he wants to change things.

-Giorno giving the kid ice cream. As small as this is, this actually adds a MUUUCH softer side to Giorno that we've never seen at all from Giorno in the manga. This also reinforces Giorno's care for children and why he doesn't want drugs to reach them.

-The role model Gangstar buying ice cream for him. This ties directly back to the previous point and links his backstory with his current motivations. Now we know the direct influence of WHY Giorno realizes it's so important to protect and guide kids, considering he was straightened out himself.

-Giorno witnessing the role model Gangstar killing in cold blood. Why is our Shonen protagonist a cold blooded killer? Well, the person he modeled himself after showed him that he's not above killing for a greater cause. This scene shows us and Giorno that being a gangstar not only entails JUST being in the mafia and risking your life, but it also involves making difficult choices that'll end up hurting others.

-The role model defusing the the situation with the drug dealer's kid and saying his father was a bad man that deserved it. Same deal as above, and someone here also pointed out that this is a pretty damn good parallel with what's going on with Trish. Now Giorno himself has to do the same thing his role model did years ago.

Come on guys, I'm not even saying that manga Giorno is bad at all or lacking in any of these points, I'm saying that the anime version is notably BETTER, which I think we can all agree on.