• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i watched all of the first season of dr stone and i am now anticipating next season. im also trying to get back into watching some tv like Chernobyl that i missed when it came out. plus i just took my first step towards collecting jojo physically by ordering the part 1 jojoniums! add in the 6+ books i have going atm and i think i have plenty of entertainment to last me for the next while!

I have a feeling that Stone Ocean is going to hit really hard because of how relevant its themes and characters are these days, and especially because it seems like jojo's western popularity is growing exponentially, so the setting doesn't hurt.

Religious extremism, racial discrimination, corruption in the prison industrial complex... and a badass female protagonist whose style is still so fresh it resembles one of the looks a modern popstar often goes with. (regardless of whether or not billie eilish's hair is actually jolyne inspired :p)

Stone Ocean was ahead of its time. (which was twenty years ago, mind you, actually quite old)

Oct 25, 2017
i watched all of the first season of dr stone and i am now anticipating next season. im also trying to get back into watching some tv like Chernobyl that i missed when it came out. plus i just took my first step towards collecting jojo physically by ordering the part 1 jojoniums! add in the 6+ books i have going atm and i think i have plenty of entertainment to last me for the next while!

I have a feeling that Stone Ocean is going to hit really hard because of how relevant its themes and characters are these days, and especially because it seems like jojo's western popularity is growing exponentially, so the setting doesn't hurt.

Religious extremism, racial discrimination, corruption in the prison industrial complex... and a badass female protagonist whose style is still so fresh it resembles one of the looks a modern popstar often goes with. (regardless of whether or not billie eilish's hair is actually jolyne inspired :p)

Stone Ocean was ahead of its time. (which was twenty years ago, mind you, actually quite old)
It still surprises me just how well post Part 3 Jojo ages.

Oct 27, 2017

Ive read it and while i liked it a lot (Jolyne is awesome and the villain is great like all Jojo villains are) ,i can see why the fandom is divided on it (hooo boy i can see why)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

I just hope that by the time it releases we don't get riots of people saying jojo got too "woke" and boycotting it or that kind of shit... it already has a hard time in current fandom and honestly, looking back, i don't see much reason why it's so despised despite Anasui of course

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope that by the time it releases we don't get riots of people saying jojo got too "woke" and boycotting it or that kind of shit... it already has a hard time in current fandom and honestly, looking back, i don't see much reason why it's so despised despite Anasui of course
Idk man ,The Ending seems like a good reason for the mixed reactions

And yea the whole complaining about a property tackling social issues is very annoying.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Idk man ,The Ending seems like a good reason for the mixed reactions

And yea the whole complaining about a property tackling social issues is very annoying.
No one ever complains about that part you spoiled though... I've seen people complain about bs stand, laws of phisics breaking , some people saying jolyne is bad jojo(why?) and a lot of discourse that makes it seems like the people simply didn't read the part or thought Dio got ruined somehow

Oct 27, 2017
No one ever complains about that part you spoiled though... I've seen people complain about bs stand, laws of phisics breaking , some people saying jolyne is bad jojo(why?) and a lot of discourse that makes it seems like the people simply didn't read the part or thought Dio got ruined somehow
Really? i have. You are right tho that i see the stand fights get criticised a lot more , which I feel is why Part 7 is a bit more subdued in its stand fights (like how Jolyne's stand being simpler might've been a reaction to Giorno's Gold experience being broke as hell).

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Really? i have. You are right tho that i see the stand fights get criticised a lot more , which I feel is why Part 7 is a bit more subdued in its stand fights (like how Jolyne's stand being simpler might've been a reaction to Giorno's Gold experience being broke as hell).
Sorry i was being hyperbolic >_>
It's just a bit of a rare complaint, considering how much of an impact it had for everything, that part receives praise enough to make me think it wasnt the problem

About part 7 being more subdued... idk, i think he cares more about writing limitations and less about breaking the laws of physics in 7 and 8, but being chaotic is a pretty big deal with part 6's overall tone

the growing weirdness of stands fits the end of the world/apocalipse theme going on, but it's reeeally the loosest use of stand ever and i think limiting them helped a lot for part 7/8

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry i was being hyperbolic >_>
It's just a bit of a rare complaint, considering how much of an impact it had for everything, that part receives praise enough to make me think it wasnt the problem

About part 7 being more subdued... idk, i think he cares more about writing limitations and less about breaking the laws of physics in 7 and 8, but being chaotic is a pretty big deal with part 6's overall tone

the growing weirdness of stands fits the end of the world/apocalipse theme going on, but it's reeeally the loosest use of stand ever and i think limiting them helped a lot for part 7/8
I always compared Part 6 to Evangelion cuz of the similar vibes both emanate for being weird ,fantastical and shocking. Its pretty fitting someone made a fan made part 6 opening to evangelion's theme

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the ending is definitely something that the kind of person who thinks sleeping slaves was a waste of time would dismiss as pretentious nonsense, and complain about not getting enough answers.

But in my opinion it's indicative of part 5 and 6's rising level of narrative maturity, which leads well into the overall tone of part 7 and 8. (there are of course legitimate criticisms of the ending, as with any aspect of a story. but i more often see negativity from people who don't want to engage or think about it at all and are mad that they're being asked to.)

a work of fiction that doesn't have a few thousand people calling it derivative trash is probably pretty boring, tbh. all my favorite stories are polarizing in some way.

reactionary anti-progressive people are going to have a much harder time than they expect popularizing their views about jojo now that jojo itself is becoming more and more promoted and legally accessible in the west.

Valentine for example is someone 4chan types are going to be dismayed to realize a lot of viewers are going to find objectively detestable, no matter how many flowery words he employs. (also he'll be exposed to a generation that's been living through a widely ridiculed and despised trump presidency. won't get fooled again)

Oct 27, 2017
the ending is definitely something that the kind of person who thinks sleeping slaves was a waste of time would dismiss as pretentious nonsense, and complain about not getting enough answers.

But in my opinion it's indicative of part 5 and 6's rising level of narrative maturity, which leads well into the overall tone of part 7 and 8. (there are of course legitimate criticisms of the ending, as with any aspect of a story. but i more often see negativity from people who don't want to engage or think about it at all and are mad that they're being asked to.)

a work of fiction that doesn't have a few thousand people calling it derivative trash is probably pretty boring, tbh. all my favorite stories are polarizing in some way.

reactionary anti-progressive people are going to have a much harder time than they expect popularizing their views about jojo now that jojo itself is becoming more and more promoted and legally accessible in the west.

Valentine for example is someone 4chan types are going to be dismayed to realize a lot of viewers are going to find objectively detestable, no matter how many flowery words he employs. (also he'll be exposed to a generation that's been living through a widely ridiculed and despised trump presidency. won't get fooled again)
Woah waoh don't tell me there are "Valentine did nothing wrong " types out there. Thats insane

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
its commonly said that diavolo looks less buff in his full reveal than when he transformed from doppio to kill the fortuneteller. I checked out two shots that both show him from behind, revealed and still in doppio's clothes, and noticed something interesting: physically he looks the same, but when he's revealed he's slouching and hunched over, even though he's looking up at someone just like with the fortuneteller.

his body language when he's not in the shadows is totally different to when he's forced to be out in front of everyone, kind of gaining animalistic qualities instead of the imperious commanding posture.

In this you can kind of see the doppio side of him, and understand how they each are both different extremes of the same basic personality. there are times when he regains his regal way of standing, usually when he's erasing time, since that to him is a comfortable space where he feels like he's once again hidden from the world. but the rest of the time he's always in a hunched, defensive position, fearful of his environment yet relaxed and ready to tense up in whatever direction he needs to.

This is something i already noticed, but didn't really see exactly how much it contrasted with his previous behavior til i compared them side by side.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
something I noticed from looking at some manga art of king crimson:
King_Crimson_Infobox_Manga.png

That strap pattern on his body is pretty clearly emphasized as being connected to his white face area, and it looks like they're attached to actual bolts in the side of his face.

This made me realize: it's not actually his face at all: it's just a mask. The original concept art for him was based on the idea of a masked Venetian style executioner, and that idea seems to have been carried through here in the final design!

Now of course it can emote like a face and everything because it's part of a stand, but it's pretty significant that even in the deepest manifestation of his soul, Diavolo still hides his true self.

Even epitaph is just another part of his mask, suggesting his burial of his self goes even deeper than simply his two alternate personalities.

I love it

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway through the anime and I got to say, this is my least favorite part. It's still entertaining and fun since it's JoJo, but it can get pretty boring. I also feel like the writing is pretty poor and repetitive at times.

Part 3 is still my favorite, closely followed by Part 4. Joseph is still the best JoJo tho.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
weird. to me part 3 and 4 are far more repetitive. part 5 is constantly changing the context of fights and the main characters' goals. the longest stretch of meat and potatoes stand encounters is what youve probably just finished, and from then on it never really goes back to that style. pretty much every fight is massively advancing the plot from then on.

I don't think there's a single fight I actually dislike from that more standard section, either. or the entire part in general.

EDIT: tbh I don't really know what people mean by saying "poor writing" with no context. Is it the motivations and backgrounds of the characters being uninteresting? Is it the themes and style of story not being appealing? Is it the mechanics of the fights being too complex or not fleshed out enough?

I see a lot of people wrt anime and manga just say "poor/bad writing" and leave it at that. If you went page by page you'd see that all the jojo parts share a similar DNA of how fights play out, how backstories are introduced, what characters in specific roles broadly tend to act like, ect.

The writing style is fairly consistent for a decades-spanning series, even as the settings and powersets change.

I feel like there's more to articulate than what people generally do.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
THE BOSS....

FUCK.....

"Now may the fires of Hell embrace you." is such a good goddamn added line.

The weird hesitating paranoid note of his speech at first: perfect. The escalation into fury and biblical rage: HOT!!!

They're doing this so right. Might even be better than Dio's dub

EDIT: the slight voice crack on "It doesn't matter WHO it is" is so fucking goood he sounds out of his fucking mind with fearful anger!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think the fact that I quit being anime-only after getting spoiled on some part 5 stuff has changed how this makes me feel. honestly doesn't seem like an unbearable wait.
If anything, it's extra time for Yugo Kanno or whomever to make even more sick beats & melodies for me to jive to on my time off work in 2022.

Buccellati: Drive, Determination. and Dutiful Parenting

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
PB/BT season comes out
*1 1/2 years after*
SdC starts
*2 years pass*
Diamond is Not Crash stars
*2 1/2 years pass*
Vento Aureo starts
*3 years* (October 2021)
Stone Ocean.

A few months ago I had thought I was reaching in thinking they'd take that much time for SO, but now? WELP !

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...it's gonna be a loooooong wait, especially now with the pandemic delaying and slowing just about everything down.

At least there's a shit-load of manga to get caught up on (currently slowly making my way through Part 7).

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Just finished part 5.

Is it just me, or were the last couple episodes of part 5 incredibly weird and confusing? So, Silver Chariot Requiem goes berserk and basically just starts swapping everyones souls. It also starts transforming every living thing into other things for some reason. Diavolo figures out that the light of one's souls shines behind their head in an orb, and this light shines on Chariot which casts its shadow in the direction the person is facing it. So he destroys the orb in order to harm Chariot and get the arrow. Then some other stuff happens and eventually Giorno gets the arrow and uses it to change Golden Experience into Golden Experience Requiem. Then GER basically traps Diavolo into an infinite loop of the truth of his death that he must accept, no more time manipulation. No final battle or anything, he just gets owned instantly and trapped forever. Then for some reason we get a flashback to the gang meeting a stand user who predicts Buccellati's death, I guess to make his death more poignant and to send the message that no one can escape their fate, or something? In any case, it felt completely out of place, and then the anime ends right after that with the surviving crew standing outside the coliseum. We see an after credits scene with Giorno becoming the boss, which I admit was cool. Is that summary even right? I feel like I was just in a fever dream and only half of it made any sense.

There's still stuff I don't get though. Like I understand that Diavolo had multiple personalities with different appearances, but how he could literally change from a 15 year old to a 40 year old man? What's up with his past, who was his father? When did his personality split? He kidnapped his mom and kept her trapped underneath his floor, why and how? Who had sex with Trish's mom, Doppio or Diavolo?

Overall, I think GW was alright, but it might be one of my least favorite parts. It started out with potential, but the end kinda felt rushed and didn't make much sense. Also, with part 3-5, I kind of feel like Araki can't write longer stories without stuffing them with stands of the week. It only works for a little while before becoming boring though, imo. Anyway, guess I gotta wait for the part 6 anime now.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished part 5.

Is it just me, or were the last couple episodes of part 5 incredibly weird and confusing? So, Silver Chariot Requiem goes berserk and basically just starts swapping everyones souls. It also starts transforming every living thing into other things for some reason. Diavolo figures out that the light of one's souls shines behind their head in an orb, and this light shines on Chariot which casts its shadow in the direction the person is facing it. So he destroys the orb in order to harm Chariot and get the arrow. Then some other stuff happens and eventually Giorno gets the arrow and uses it to change Golden Experience into Golden Experience Requiem. Then GER basically traps Diavolo into an infinite loop of the truth of his death that he must accept, no more time manipulation. No final battle or anything, he just gets owned instantly and trapped forever. Then for some reason we get a flashback to the gang meeting a stand user who predicts Buccellati's death, I guess to make his death more poignant and to send the message that no one can escape their fate, or something? In any case, it felt completely out of place, and then the anime ends right after that with the surviving crew standing outside the coliseum. We see an after credits scene with Giorno becoming the boss, which I admit was cool. Is that summary even right? I feel like I was just in a fever dream and only half of it made any sense.

There's still stuff I don't get though. Like I understand that Diavolo had multiple personalities with different appearances, but how he could literally change from a 15 year old to a 40 year old man? What's up with his past, who was his father? When did his personality split? He kidnapped his mom and kept her trapped underneath his floor, why and how? Who had sex with Trish's mom, Doppio or Diavolo?
That all seems about right. There's a million bonkers ideas introduced in the those last few episodes and it never has time to really stew with any of them. The explanations are rushed and the episodes seem to stop and end at the wrong points for the sake of pacing, and although I like the short story it really destroys all the momentum.

To me, Golden Wind has some of the absolute best individual moments of the entire series (the White Album fight is INCREDIBLE) but it has the biggest fumble of an ending possible. I like every single one of those plot points, but it feels like it was just adapted poorly.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That all seems about right. There's a million bonkers ideas introduced in the those last few episodes and it never has time to really stew with any of them. The explanations are rushed and the episodes seem to stop and end at the wrong points for the sake of pacing, and although I like the short story it really destroys all the momentum.

To me, Golden Wind has some of the absolute best individual moments of the entire series (the White Album fight is INCREDIBLE) but it has the biggest fumble of an ending possible. I like every single one of those plot points, but it feels like it was just adapted poorly.
This is a pretty good assessment, I loved it still but part 5 has some flaws.

I'm really hoping that some of the mysteries that were left unanswered get addressed in future parts but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I really loved Diavolo's design but it seemed so out of place for both the character and the time period (seemed more early 80s than the late 90s-early 2000s) and it was kind of wasted considering how little time you spend with him compared to other main antagonists.