• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Honestly JoJo in general is full of nonsense logic really but that's not really unique to JoJo so it doesn't bother me too much. Its funny though I read the manga years ago when I was much younger and it seemed so clever back then but rewatching it through the anime almost every fight there is a moment where I have to stop and question the logic a bit lol.

I'd argue it's unique to JoJo. No other anime is so confident in its bullshit. Other animes go on about bullshit power ups that you have no choice but to accept because, well, that's the rules right? But JoJo almost seems like a trick question. It brings up real world concepts, but its applications don't really work with the real world model. And it never outright changes its own internal rules, but it stretches them so much you are afraid they'd snap if you touched them because they look as fragile as the protagonists' spines after posing.

It's like, there's a difference between regular shounen anime bullshit and JoJo bullshit. Shounen bullshit is just "Accept it." JoJo is like "LISTEN TO MY BULLSHIT, ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?" and the longer you read it, the more it goes from "I...no, what the fuck" to "Scarily yes, I can see this making sense in JoJo logic because JoJo logic is a state of mind as opposed to a set of rules."

It's fucking bizarre and I love it, 10/10, it's complete bullshit but it's the king of bullshit

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'd be *so* mad if I had a Stand named after an MJ single, but I get melted because a goofy cheese boy tracked me down with a snake made out of bricks.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing like JoJo bullshit

Can I introduce you to Baki

A series where the main character trains with an imaginary giant praying mantis and it is taken deadly seriously

A series where Miyamoto Musashi is resurrected through science and his swordsmanship is so powerful he can make you think you died by cutting you with an imaginary sword

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue it's unique to JoJo. No other anime is so confident in its bullshit. Other animes go on about bullshit power ups that you have no choice but to accept because, well, that's the rules right? But JoJo almost seems like a trick question. It brings up real world concepts, but its applications don't really work with the real world model. And it never outright changes its own internal rules, but it stretches them so much you are afraid they'd snap if you touched them because they look as fragile as the protagonists' spines after posing.

It's like, there's a difference between regular shounen anime bullshit and JoJo bullshit. Shounen bullshit is just "Accept it." JoJo is like "LISTEN TO MY BULLSHIT, ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?" and the longer you read it, the more it goes from "I...no, what the fuck" to "Scarily yes, I can see this making sense in JoJo logic because JoJo logic is a state of mind as opposed to a set of rules."

It's fucking bizarre and I love it, 10/10, it's complete bullshit but it's the king of bullshit
I think it's because in Jojo everything is generally set up. The solutions are bs but they're not out of nowhere.

Stunner911

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda

A series where the main character trains with an imaginary giant praying mantis and it is taken deadly seriously

A series where Miyamoto Musashi is resurrected through science and his swordsmanship is so powerful he can make you think you died by cutting you with an imaginary sword
sounds interesting

Oct 29, 2017
1546036548567.jpg

Hmmmmm
I am not even watching the anime anymore but clicked on the thread out of curiosity. Who the fuck would have thought I would be greeted with Calcinha Preta.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Is that the show where that one guy literally blows another guys brains out through his ear?

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Everyone else here keeps debating and arguing over how bullshit stand abilities can be, while I'm over here going 'whoa, that track that played at the end of the conflict along with the conversation between Giorno and crew gave me chills'.

this one too

This stuff sounds straight out of a good movie. Definitely a step up from the last part(not counting OPs and EDs).

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Oh my god I just remembered one of these Out Of Context Jojo pics of Giorno and police cars and I can't wait to see the context for it.

that episode was so bullshit and it's part of the reason i love the show.

also uhh has there always been some content after the ending? i've been skipping the ED pretty much every week but decided to watch today and there was an extra scene.
Usually the "to be continued" happens before the ED but this time it didn't, and it was in an after-credits scene. That seems to mark the end of the episode. Just so you know, for future occasions

Everyone else here keeps debating and arguing over how bullshit stand abilities can be, while I'm over here going 'whoa, that track that played at the end of the conflict along with the conversation between Giorno and crew gave me chills'.

this one too

This stuff sounds straight out of a good movie. Definitely a step up from the last part(not counting OPs and EDs).

Hell yeah, the action music is great but these "emotional" tracks are no slouch either

Last edited:

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone make a jpeg or gif of Giorno very sensually holding that key? You know the pose.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Usually the "to be continued" happens before the ED but this time it didn't, and it was in an after-credits scene. That seems to mark the end of the episode. Just so you know, for future occasions
well, shit I never noticed. that's good to know, i thought it was just random and i'd usually find out after the fact. then have to go back and watch it

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Also realistically speaking, Giorno getitng healed by brick snake is the only really bullshit moment. Everything else is pretty consistent with everything established. Araki just came up with a half assed way for Giorno to not die.

But the funnier thing is that the brick snake vaccine could have been completely side stepped with Giorno's other ability if he just tore his arm off again.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Giorno
Star Platinum was so much more bullshit than that. Oh woops, I forgot to tell you I can magically EXTEND my fingers. Oh woops, I can actually stop time ! haha, see you next week.
Nah bruh.. Gold Experience is basically everything. I repeat. Everything. You cannot get more bullshit than that lol

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Gold Experience is two abilities.

Two really convenient abilities. But they're still just two abilities.

One of which gets really stretched.

But it never becomes "I just have new totally unrelated in any way abilities." Like star Platinum.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Giorno
Nah bruh.. Gold Experience is basically everything. I repeat. Everything. You cannot get more bullshit than that lol

I thought GE could simply inject life into lifeless objects which apparently reflect damage back against things that attack them and supercharge the living making them hyper aware and hyper sensitive. We got GE mixing brick snake serums to cure stand super viruses. First time I can actually say" yeah, thats kinda bullshit." I only say that because in no circumstances was it explained that GE had that power.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
With Gold Experience it's "You're really stretching this, but i kinda see where you're coming from. So I'mma let it slide."

With Star Platinum it's "Where the fuck did that... oh we're going with it, I guess we're going with it."

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Jotaro literally thinks of a new ability on the fly that has never been hinted at to utterly destroy its opponent. "You think you had me ? Let me just extend this middle finger to the audience". Star Platinum has never shown he could possibly ever stretch any limbs before.

Time stop is just icing on the cake. People are still thinking really hard to justify that. I remember one theory being he already used it against D'Arby 1 but there is no way that was the case.

Star Platinum really was the defining moment where I told myself "alright, fuck it, I'm just here for the show".

Oct 25, 2017
I thought GE could simply inject life into lifeless objects which apparently reflect damage back against things that attack them and supercharge the living making them hyper aware and hyper sensitive. We got GE mixing brick snake serums to cure stand super viruses. First time I can actually say" yeah, thats kinda bullshit." I only say that because in no circumstances was it explained that GE had that power.
GE is a consistently bullshit stand.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so they toned down Iluso getting melted and pulverized in the anime. I thought they would have had to. I literally said "what the fuck!" out loud when I saw it in the manga. What the fuck was Araki going through?

...And then I said 'what the fuck!" out loud again with the brick-snake serum. I immediately understood why "That's bullshit...but I believe it!" is the big Part 5 joke. It's such bullshit, but it's weird and cool and fun, so fuck it.

I've got brick-snakes in the 'hood/You know it's all good...

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jotaro literally thinks of a new ability on the fly that has never been hinted at to utterly destroy its opponent. "You think you had me ? Let me just extend this middle finger to the audience". Star Platinum has never shown he could possibly ever stretch any limbs before.

RDXDloj.jpg

Time stop is just icing on the cake. People are still thinking really hard to justify that. I remember one theory being he already used it against D'Arby 1 but there is no way that was the case.

To be fair stop was hinted when Dio recognize Star Platinum and The World were really similar.

I like to think Star Finger is a tribute to Ripple's technique Zoom Punch. Which is bullshit in its own way, tho.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
GE is a consistently bullshit stand.
Eh...

After the thing next episode, it really doesn't pull anything new out. It just uses that and its other stuff. And even the next episode thing is more a "That's a dumb justification, but whatever."

There are other stands before and after that have way wilder changes.

I still don't understand the Acts. Other than they're real fucking convenient.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Star Finger is definitely a symptom of early Part 3 feeling like it needed "special attacks" like Parts 1 and 2. So you have Jotaro yelling out Star Finger and Avdol yelling out Crossfire Hurricane and Kakyoin yelling Emerald Splash.

Notice how in Part 4 and 5 the only "named" attacks are Echoes Act 3's 3-Freeze, and Kira's 2 named Bombs, but only 3-Freeze really fits as a special attack callout type thing.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Star Platinum having time stop makes a degree of sense in the context of Part 3. The only other stand in that part that's short range and has both super strength and super speed is The World. They're identical in practically every way, and no other stand is even remotely like that.

But then half of the stands in Part 4 and 5 are punch ghosts, and it turns into total nonsense.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Why Jotaro though ? If it's a case of bloodline, then Joseph needs to ask for a refund. And Dio isn't related to the Joestar to begin with so the causality is non-existent.

Oct 25, 2017
Star Platinum having time stop makes a degree of sense in the context of Part 3. The only other stand in that part that's short range and has both super strength and super speed is The World. They're identical in practically every way, and no other stand is even remotely like that.

But then half of the stands in Part 4 and 5 are punch ghosts, and it turns into total nonsense.
I don't really consider a lot of the stands in Part 5 to be punch ghosts though. Even the ones that sort of are have more gimmicks and are way weaker than Star Platinum and Crazy Diamond.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, brick snake isn't that unbelievable

its like bacteria growing in an antibiotic. in order for giorno's ability to work, life must force itself to exist, and thus like a bacteria that survives the antibiotic which can then asexually reproduce, life will find a way and eventually we got brick snake

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't really consider a lot of the stands in Part 5 to be punch ghosts though. Even the ones that sort of are have more gimmicks and are way weaker than Star Platinum and Crazy Diamond.
Nah. I think you're mistaking their leanness for not being punch ghosts.

Other than 2, all of part 5's stands are punch ghosts.

More than half of them have battle cries for crying out loud

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only vaguely aware of what happens in Part 5, so I'm mainly going off what's happened in the anime so far. My point was more that the rapid fire punching was a very unique thing in Part 3, but a ton of stands are doing it later on, even if they're physically weak.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
DIO is technically related to the Joestars.
Hell, at that point he's basically 90% Joestar.

Dio could have grafted his brain into Jonathan's head and he would still remain 100% Dio.
Stands are spiritual spirits, and as long as his brain is his, The World remains a pure product of Dio's mental energy and power. There's no logical explanation for this, Jotaro just found this ability in the souq while strolling through Cairo.

I disagree with Woozies but that's saying a bit too much for the poor anime onlies

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only vaguely aware of what happens in Part 5, so I'm mainly going off what's happened in the anime so far. My point was more that the rapid fire punching was a very unique thing in Part 3, but a ton of stands are doing it later on, even if they're physically weak.
There's combat method and overall stand application. I don't really classify the more esoteric stands as punch ghosts...even if they do punch for example.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, it's called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. From having Vampires to nazi robots to Jotaro having a last minute asspull time stop to supernatural ghost and aliens to Gold Experience is considered 'normal' in the Bizarre world.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I classify stands as punch ghosts if regardless of their ability. They can physically beat you to death.

Most part 4 and part 3 stands don't classify as that.

Most of giorno's crew do.

You take away sticky fingers Gold Experience's and Purple Haze's abilities... they'd still be able to punch a literal hole through you.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to think the only bullshit part of brick snake is Gold Experience basically pulls out blood with his finger and injects it into Giorno. That's not how anti-venom works. I mean kinda, but you need more concentrated doses. Everything else about how the snake is immune to the venom makes sense in context with his stand. Also it's not a vaccine. Stop saying that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I classify stands as punch ghosts if regardless of their ability. They can physically beat you to death.

Most part 4 and part 3 stands don't classify as that.

Most of giorno's crew do.

You take away sticky fingers Gold Experience's and Purple Haze's abilities... they'd still be able to punch a literal hole through you.

GE did punch Bruno CLEAN to the chest and that was when Giorno was ready to KILL and he didn't get a hole, it didn't even fuck up Bruno that much. GE also punched him in the face and the most he lost was a tooth.

I don't think GE can really fuck you up unless you get Muda'd for a long-ass time, then you'd start seeing some heavy damage happening.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
GE did punch Bruno CLEAN to the chest and that was when Giorno was ready to KILL and he didn't get a hole, it didn't even fuck up Bruno that much. GE also punched him in the face and the most he lost was a tooth.

I don't think GE can really fuck you up unless you get Muda'd for a long-ass time, then you'd start seeing some heavy damage happening.

Yeah, but star platinum is the same. I can point to several times if should have torn a person in half but didn't. Its for the sake of the pacing.

We know those stands can kill people with their fists.

The same punch sent bruno FLYING.