• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Who would win

A veteran mafia assassin who was the highest ranked assassin in Italy who is able to command loyalty in his subordinates and are willing to betray the most powerful criminal in the country.

Or

A very clumsy and forgetful boy

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
This episode was a mini-masterpiece. Crazy to think that the manga came out almost 20 years ago and yet this extremely faithful adaptation is one of the best modern anime.

Also, since I'm out of Italy I had to watch it with the Crunchyroll subs: are they always so rushed? I understand the translators only have a couple of days to work, but I had a hard time understanding some of the dialogue and I can see I'm not the only one.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
This episode was a mini-masterpiece. Crazy to think that the manga came out almost 20 years ago and yet this extremely faithful adaptation is one of the best modern anime.

Also, since I'm out of Italy I had to watch it with the Crunchyroll subs: are they always so rushed? I understand the translators only have a couple of days to work, but I had a hard time understanding some of the dialogue and I can see I'm not the only one.
JoJo holds up extremely well. If you didn't know GW came out 20 years ago you wouldn't be able to tell that the anime is based on a 18 year old manga arc

Oct 25, 2017
Boat condom is basically peak jojo logic though, it's great. Also it gives us the dance scene, which is a top 5 moment in part 5 itself.
Boat condom is some Jojo ass bullshit and I love it, it's just not one of my favorite fights when you compare it to White Album, Greatful Dead and Little Feet. Not to mention comparing it to BIG, Bruno vs King Crimson and Metallica vs King Crimson. This seasons been a helluva roller coaster where even strong fights like boat condom even feel a little weak compared to some really strong competition.
In terms of charcters and fights
I think my ranking is:
Nero
Ghiaccio
Prosciutto
Formaggio
Illuso
Pesci
Melone

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Holy fuck if the Doppio VS Metallica fight was this well produced and animated I cannot wait to see what the hell they do for the final arc. This was just so fun to watch, and that final swerve had just the same impact if not more as the manga. The Boss is the fucking Boss because of how careful and cunning he is, and when considering who the protagonist is, he is one of the best foils and antithesis in all of JoJo.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017

Considering how David Pro struggle with production lately I actually wont surprised if the episode delivered between HOUR before airing time tbh

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So Narancia just murdered someone that wasn't even being a threat to them? lol

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think it's less forgot and more he intentionally doesn't bring it up because it would make fights with any sort of contact hard to write because Giorno could just throw a frog at his opponent or their attack or create a living shield and fights would be too easy
Thats why it never showing up again doesn't bother me at all xD
It's probably because only frogs are pure enough to cause the reflect. Doppio saves a frog as well.
This is a very good take, frogs never hurt anyone
JoJo holds up extremely well. If you didn't know GW came out 20 years ago you wouldn't be able to tell that the anime is based on a 18 year old manga arc
some parts feel more modern than half of the shonen coming out these days
Looking at you Stone ocean and the fact that i haven't met a female manga protagonist as good as Jolyne though i have high hopes for Emma
So Narancia just murdered someone that wasn't even being a threat to them? lol
If the boys had arrived just 5 minutes later lol

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Thats why it never showing up again doesn't bother me at all xD

This is a very good take, frogs never hurt anyone

some parts feel more modern than half of the shonen coming out these days
Looking at you Stone ocean and the fact that i haven't met a female manga protagonist as good as Jolyne though i have high hopes for Emma

I do think Bruno and Co didn't want to take the risk but it was pretty reckless

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I do think Bruno and Co didn't want to take the risk but it was pretty reckless
We can't tell Risotto would have let them go without a fight either, even if they turned traitors, the gang still killed all of his friends(in rather ruthless ways i should say).
They should have wondered about how easy it was though...

Oct 25, 2017
GioGio 27

sePkp3B.jpg

Excellent episode. This is one of the best fights in all of JoJo with two of the best Stands going full force. lt's also probably the gnarliest and bloodiest, and the fact that we got past the Part 3 era censorship is really a blessing. Metallica is a truly horrifying stand - you die slowly, painfully and in the most gruesome way imaginable - from shock, blood loss or just lack of oxygen. The frames of the metal underneath Doppio's skin with the flesh tightly packed around it like a vacuum sealed slab of meat are more disgusting then the actual flesh being pierced.

PMq6IWn.jpg

They do a great job showing Epitath's premonition ability, and the difference between Doppio/The Boss, and how quickly Doppio can lose himself to rage. Also of note is the return of using a Stand like armor, or in this case, Doppio even manages to use King Crimson like an extra set of arms. I do not remember this in the manga at all but they make great use of it.

H8OxIfy.jpg

There is great directorial flair all over this episode, especially during the premonitions. AD Hironori Tanaka and Kai Shibata were firing on all cylinders. This might be the best the extreme closeups have looked yet, and certainly the best the show has looked in months.

izALyLb.jpg

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
GioGio 27

sePkp3B.jpg

Excellent episode. This is one of the best fights in all of JoJo with two of the best Stands going full force. lt's also probably the gnarliest and bloodiest, and the fact that we got past the Part 3 era censorship is really a blessing. Metallica is a truly horrifying stand - you die slowly, painfully and in the most gruesome way imaginable - from shock, blood loss or just lack of oxygen. The frames of the metal underneath Doppio's skin with the flesh tightly packed around it like a vacuum sealed slab of meat are more disgusting then the actual flesh being pierced.

PMq6IWn.jpg

They do a great job showing Epitath's premonition ability, and the difference between Doppio/The Boss, and how quickly Doppio can lose himself to rage. Also of note is the return of using a Stand like armor, or in this case, Doppio even manages to use King Crimson like an extra set of arms. I do not remember this in the manga at all but they make great use of it.

H8OxIfy.jpg

There is great directorial flair all over this episode, especially during the premonitions. AD Hironori Tanaka and Kai Shibata were firing on all cylinders. This might be the best the extreme closeups have looked yet, and certainly the best the show has looked in months.

izALyLb.jpg
What do you think of Golden Wind so far?

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
i must've missed these meltdowns. by meltdowns i assume you mean people pointing out the fact that the animation sucked. calling it a meltdown is grossly exaggerated but there is no denying that the fight with the shark stand had subpar animation.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i must've missed these meltdowns. by meltdowns i assume you mean pointing out the fact that the animation sucked. calling it a meltdown is grossly exaggerated but there is no denying that the fight with the shark stand had subpar animation.
You crazy? That week had so many "QuALIty" memes i was cringing as hard as when the KC JUST WORKS memes got to the anime fandom

Maybe I browse too much reddit but even on era i remember having to spend a decent time in this very thread saying the episode wasn't that bad. Some people just don't know how much work goes into animating character designs like Jojo's :/

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I remember complaints about the illuso fight, first white album episode and first clash and talking head episode

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Yeah I don't get the whole idea that there were meltdowns. People, myself included, talked about how the animation took a step-down, but it never got toxic or anything. If anyone we were trying to be hopeful that the animation quality held up and that this wasn't a harbinger of things to come.
Maybe I browse too much reddit but even on era i remember having to spend a decent time in this very thread saying the episode wasn't that bad. Some people just don't know how much work goes into animating character designs like Jojo's :/
I remember you defending the animation, but I don't feel like that was coming from "meltdowns". I looked back through the thread back when the Crash & Talking Head fight started (Pages 161-165 for 50 posts per page) and I saw only seven posts talking about how the animation was bad (Posts #8063, #8067, #8093, #8132,#8142, #8221, #8249), with most of them not really being that hyperbolic or emotional. I don't think there were meltdowns, atleast not on Resetera anyway.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I don't get the whole idea that there were meltdowns. People, myself included, talked about how the animation took a step-down, but it never got toxic or anything. If anyone we were trying to be hopeful that the animation quality held up and that this wasn't a harbinger of things to come.

I remember you defending the animation, but I don't feel like that was coming from "meltdowns". I looked back through the thread back when the Crash & Talking Head fight started (Pages 161-165 for 50 posts per page) and I saw only seven posts talking about how the animation was bad (Posts #8063, #8067, #8093, #8132,#8142, #8221, #8249), with most of them not really being that hyperbolic or emotional. I don't think there were meltdowns, atleast not on Resetera anyway.
Long term exposure to different social media makes you feel the negativity a bit overblown, just like the some of negativity to this part seemed to vanish once good boy doppio came in, people complaining are pretty vocal, when people that like it only show up when something amazing happens xD

Kind of you for checking though xD made me feel kinda better, actually

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Long term exposure to different social media makes you feel the negativity a bit overblown, just like the some of negativity to this part seemed to vanish once good boy doppio came in, people complaining are pretty vocal, when people that like it only show up when something amazing happens xD

Kind of you for checking though xD made me feel kinda better, actually
Yeah social media has a habit of amplifying the most negative voices so I can definitely understand how you heard so much negativity about the part. That being said, I'm glad to see they've really stepped up the quality for this episode, and I'm looking forward to seeing where how the upcoming confrontation turns out.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah social media has a habit of amplifying the most negative voices so I can definitely understand how you heard so much negativity about the part. That being said, I'm glad to see they've really stepped up the quality for this episode, and I'm looking forward to seeing where how the upcoming confrontation turns out.
They literally got a guy that hasn't been director of animation for years to do this episode, i've heard,Hironori Tanaka da god.
If this fight got that kind of treatment we might as well be blessed with sakuga for the next 12(?) episodes

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Throwing the knives at the Gangstars and having them kill Risotto was an extremely genius move, y'all. The more I think about it I get a bittersweet feeling that left me completely satisfied. Hearing Narancia be like "Yeah I got him!" was like damn y'all don't even realize the "according to keikaku" planning that went into that move that y'all were pawns in.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Throwing the knives at the Gangstars and having them kill Risotto was an extremely genius move, y'all. The more I think about it I get a bittersweet feeling that left me completely satisfied. Hearing Narancia be like "Yeah I got him!" was like damn y'all don't even realize the "according to keikaku" planning that went into that move that y'all were pawns in.
boss using the kids just like he did ever since bruno joined the gang :(
I hate the boss so much.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm itching for another big Bucciarati fight. He's a really great example of how someone creative/imaginative can truly master the potential of their Stand's powers, and he's pretty thrilling to watch every time.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017

Ah but remember, if they had showed up 5 minutes later Doppio wouldn't have noticed Aerosmith and tipped Risotto off that he was a stand user, and the boss' original plan to kill Risotto himself would have worked.

---

Personally im more interested in another fight with Giorno by himself/being the primary combatant. Probably a good candidate for that would be him together with Abbaccio, since Moody Blues isnt as combat focused, and Abbaccio is the only person left in the group who doesn't trust Giorno. (Also the boss wants to kill Abbaccio and is literally right next to him atm, so he might not have much time left in the story)

Either that or Giorno and Bruno together vs more than one enemy. Also i want them to finally talk about Bruno's whole deal physically.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, that's what i love about jojo. Despite the things that obviously come out of nowhere and couldn't be expected, and the rules that change slightly over time, any individual event is soundly constructed enough that once you have all the information you can pretty much accurately predict what might have happened if some small variable were different.

EDIT:. I also just want to shout out the whole vibe that Jojo arenas have. That whole rocky outcropping overlooking the shore deal is such a common thing, but here the geography of it becomes so important. A Jojo arena is something like a liminal space, in how ordinary yet specific it appears.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
On the subject of my avatar, Lenny from The Young Pope's stand would be ""Blinded By The Light", and it would make anyone who sees him compelled to look away

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
So I want to ask about something really early in part 5 that I got thinking again. What was that scene with Polpo where Girno sees him eating off his finger and then it turns out he wasn't? Like that doesn't have anything to do with Black Sabbath so it makes no sense.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
So I want to ask about something really early in part 5 that I got thinking again. What was that scene with Polpo where Girno sees him eating off his finger and then it turns out he wasn't? Like that doesn't have anything to do with Black Sabbath so it makes no sense.

On the contrary, it has everything to do with Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi, lead guitarist and one of the original founding members of Black Sabbath lost the tips of two of his fingers in an industrial accident at his job at a sheet metal factory. This made him detune his guitar down to ease the tension on his fingers, which influenced the sound of Black Sabbath and heavy metal as a whole.

And speaking of rewatching Golden Wind, I've only just realized Trish's pose in the first opening is the same one Spice Girl first manifests in.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
On the contrary, it has everything to do with Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi, lead guitarist and one of the original founding members of Black Sabbath lost the tips of two of his fingers in an industrial accident at his job at a sheet metal factory. This made him detune his guitar down to ease the tension on his fingers, which influenced the sound of Black Sabbath and heavy metal as a whole.

And speaking of rewatching Golden Wind, I've only just realized Trish's pose in the first opening is the same one Spice Girl first manifests in.
Thanks for filling that in, thats an interesting reference!

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Learned that in an xforts video. I think he has stated somewhere that Part 5 is his favorite