• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the more I'm disappointed with Diavolo as the main villain. The most interesting aspect of his character was the split personality with Doppio, but that part of him is just...dropped in the final arc. I can't even remember how Doppio went out. I think he literally just gets offscreened or something.

Trish was also pretty disappointing. She basically did nothing after her stand awakens. She had potential to be the first major female JoBro, but nope. Part 6 better make up for that.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yes of course, loved those too.
ok haha, just checking. I love the disrespect for diavolo right there, it takes his honestly really intimidating speech and makes him look like a rube.

EDIT: Moara once Diavolo leaves Doppio he still has the interesting thing of being in someone else's mind. the moment that's stripped away, he is indeed kinda pathetic. and that's the point, I feel like. He survived solely through the destruction and erasure of other people, and once he's alone, he's nothing. the fortune teller he killed told him: as long as he had that "secret" (two people in one body) the death of his enemies would give him good fortune. but he abandoned doppio when it was convenient instead.

in terms of symbolism, The Devil is nothing compared to the Son of God, who casts him into Hell. (which is not his domain, but his eternal torment, same as anyone else.) All the Devil can do is try to bring everyone else down with him.

Diavolo doesnt aspire to be the pinnacle of the world, or have a peaceful life, but to be the unknowable vector of all sin.

He's my favorite villain in the series so far, but my tastes are often not representative, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
ok haha, just checking. I love the disrespect for diavolo right there, it takes his honestly really intimidating speech and makes him look like a rube.

EDIT: Moara once Diavolo leaves Doppio he still has the interesting thing of being in someone else's mind. the moment that's stripped away, he is indeed kinda pathetic. and that's the point, I feel like. He survived solely through the destruction and erasure of other people, and once he's alone, he's nothing. the fortune teller he killed told him: as long as he had that "secret" (two people in one body) the death of his enemies would give him good fortune. but he abandoned doppio when it was convenient instead.

in terms of symbolism, The Devil is nothing compared to the Son of God, who casts him into Hell. (which is not his domain, but his eternal torment, same as anyone else.) All the Devil can do is try to bring everyone else down with him.

Diavolo doesnt aspire to be the pinnacle of the world, or have a peaceful life, but to be the unknowable vector of all sin.

He's my favorite villain in the series so far, but my tastes are often not representative, lol.
I always enjoy reading your takes on Part 5, they're very unique since you actually enjoy it and give a really good analysis on why you like it. On the surface it's very easy to not like Diavolo or Giorno, but beneath the surface there's so much meaning to those two.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I always enjoy reading your takes on Part 5, they're very unique since you actually enjoy it and give a really good analysis on why you like it. On the surface it's very easy to not like Diavolo or Giorno, but beneath the surface there's so much meaning to those two.
i agree, fer sure. i get why this was a controversial part, but it's going to be hard to top it for me.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, i feel Part 5 in terms of JoJo works really well in terms of it's themes.
I feel like it's one of the most consistent parts in a lot of aspects, and that's why it works so well, some parts usually have a lot of cool stuff but it gets spoiled by something bad(4s inconstant pacing, 3s dated jokes, for the ones i can comment), but not this one, so even if it's highs aint that much compared to later parts, the sum of the parts makes it great.

(Someone gonna bring up GER spoiling but i feel it just works)

I do think some later parts also do a good job at this but i cant comment on them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't feel like creating a new thread, but this is exploding on Twitter:

(thread)

Basically, an animator who has been working on Golden Wind from the first episode to the last... hasn't been paid yet.
At all.

This was not the assumption, he didn't join as a volunteer, he just... hasn't been paid.

The difficult thing to understand is really that this isn't a jab at the Giogio series. It's an ugly illustration of the entire anime industry in Japan. It's not normal... but it's widespread. The only shocking thing here is that it happens on such a beloved series that was successful and was sold internationally, not an obscure 3AM titties-and-panties penniless show. He probably stayed there because of his love for the series (to no one's surprise when you look at the result).
He doesn't want people to start hating the series, the cast or the staff because of it (it seems like his has a lot of respect for his colleagues), it's almost like... it's a problem without a culprit. "The industry is like that. It happens. Weird, uh?"
The anime industry really is the worst. Also, Japanese work culture is the worst of the worst.

Everything is not bad, and it seems that after his tweet went viral, he was able to talk to the producer and a solution seems possible?
Which means a happy ending for him. However, if it hadn't happened on such a high-profile series, he would probably have been sent home.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't feel like creating a new thread, but this is exploding on Twitter:

(thread)

Basically, an animator who has been working on Golden Wind from the first episode to the last... hasn't been paid yet.
At all.

This was not the assumption, he didn't join as a volunteer, he just... hasn't been paid.

The difficult thing to understand is really that this isn't a jab at the Giogio series. It's an ugly illustration of the entire anime industry in Japan. It's not normal... but it's widespread. The only shocking thing here is that it happens on such a beloved series that was successful and was sold internationally, not an obscure 3AM titties-and-panties penniless show. He probably stayed there because of his love for the series (to no one's surprise when you look at the result).
He doesn't want people to start hating the series, the cast or the staff because of it (it seems like his has a lot of respect for his colleagues), it's almost like... it's a problem without a culprit. "The industry is like that. It happens. Weird, uh?"
The anime industry really is the worst. Also, Japanese work culture is the worst of the worst.

Everything is not bad, and it seems that after his tweet went viral, he was able to talk to the producer and a solution seems possible?
Which means a happy ending for him. However, if it hadn't happened on such a high-profile series, he would probably have been sent home.

Not just an animator, it's the director of animation

I think it's the guy that made KC v Metallica episode but im not sure >_>

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
RIGHT?? There's so much love in those episodes omg now i'm gonna cry even harder watching it

I hope they pay the dude. I was planning on buying th BDs once the american version arrived but now i'm not sure i want to support this =/(i wanna support the rest of the team too tho, not everyone is involved with this bs i mean >_>)

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that the director of animation had to create a twitter storm in order to contact the producer to get paid is just...
... JAPAN !!!

Though if you refuse to buy the BD to stop supporting these practices, you should stop buying any anime merchandise.
This is not an outlier, it really is the reality of the entire industry.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that the director of animation had to create a twitter storm in order to contact the producer to get paid is just...
... JAPAN !!!

Though if you refuse to buy the BD to stop supporting these practices, you should stop buying any anime merchandise.
This is not an outlier, it really is the reality of the entire industry.
Jojo would be my first BD tbh... i mostly buy manga and watch the free version of crunchyroll :/

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
so now that this is over and i've read the manga version, i keep thinking more and more that the people who said king crimson never made sense even with a good translation were full of shit.

I went into the manga expecting a vastly different and inferior version of the reveal scene, but it seems like it played out beat for beat the same, and the clearly more literal (than the anime) translation is perfectly understandable, meaning the original japanese was written well too.

I'm kind of glad to be going into the future of jojo caught up on everything. a large part of this community is great, but there are a few who seem very defensive about those early days of fan translation and kinda distort reality to make excuses for it. now i've got a clear perspective that was developed kinda in isolation in the months after part 5 ended.

Big fanbases can be fun, but there's value in just reading/engaging with a thing just as... a Thing, by itself, and not paying attention to how you're "supposed to feel" until you've already felt.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
man, i totally didnt notice any animation slacking when i watched this episode. i just got too caught up in the performances to really see it unless someone pointed it out frame by frame. looks good though.

also, my #1 complaint about the traitor's requiem op was that giorno attack rush that they dimmed and made look muddy for tv. it looks so much better now and really fits the emotion of the song at that moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I know Giorno's dub voice from? In any case I don't really like it based on that preview, sounds kinda gravelly and not smooth enough for Giorno

Bruno sounds pretty damn good though

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone can beat Kensho ono as giorno, dude was made for the part, his voice is like asmr for voice acting in that role

Curious to see narancia cause i love kyle, but he's also got some big shoes to fill

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like fugo has a sense of respect for how he quietly guided the group, I'm not sure he would ever have thought of it as manipulative. But he definitely realizes that he was wrong in thinking that the gang's turning traitor was a purely emotional and thoughtless move: that it had been inspired by a very calculating and confident figure. It's not surprising he's a bit afraid to realize that, and ashamed to realize he probably would have been on board if he'd known the whole story.

I also like the amount of tension there is between fugo and the survivors of the gang. I had almost assumed they'd welcome him back with open arms, but thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense to be suspicious of him, especially since he's such a dangerous and unpredictable person.

I was one of the people who thought it would be interesting for fugo to be ordered to fight the gang by the boss, after he didn't leave passione. But honestly, this arc ends up being much more interesting than that would be: because he DIDN'T actively work against them. He just abandoned them completely.

Mista pointing out that he was glad he didn't come along after all since he's so unpredictable and destructive was an ice cold moment.
When did this happen?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Blu rays are still on green day, im guessing the next one shall do the trick
cool cool.

it's honestly not a big deal since technically its a different stand that could easily have different rules, but i still adore that moment as a sign of how araki absolutely did not forget for a single microsecond the power he was intentionally ignoring.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
cool cool.

it's honestly not a big deal since technically its a different stand that could easily have different rules, but i still adore that moment as a sign of how araki absolutely did not forget for a single microsecond the power he was intentionally ignoring.
Iirc most of the time people didn't really attack the stuff giorno made... when they do it's ghiacchio and ciocolatta with their stand powers (which both were already affecting them when they did the damage)

The worst offender is still mista and his snowboard

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
JoJo typically uses the BD version for Toonami, yes. Though this is the fastest they've put out the dub, so it wouldn't surprise me if we don't get it this time. One Punch Man season 2 isn't using the BD version since the dub had a quick turnaround.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
JoJo typically uses the BD version for Toonami, yes. Though this is the fastest they've put out the dub, so it wouldn't surprise me if we don't get it this time. One Punch Man season 2 isn't using the BD version since the dub had a quick turnaround.
There's only one Bd left to release though, it's possible