• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure I haven't seen this posted and fuck this hits different on god lol
udrlPJz.jpg

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
From what I could see, looks like they're using the BD version for the Toonami broadcast! Yay! Also, all the Italian they're putting in the script will help make up a little for the shitty stand names.

Script and acting seem good so far. Looking forward to seeing more!

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
dub is good. the VA's take on giorno is a good one, slightly more authoritative than the japanese VA's more casual approach, but it works for his character.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
now bruno melts my soul in two languages
its interesting that he's slightly more soft-spoken sounding than japanese bruno and giorno is slightly more aggressive than japanese giorno. it probably makes their subtle dynamic easier to grasp for a western audience, who expect main characters to sound less reserved.

it already kinda changes the feel of giorno as a character, cause his moments of cold aggression are less distinct from his normal speaking voice. will be interesting to see.

Oct 25, 2017
its interesting that he's slightly more soft-spoken sounding than japanese bruno and giorno is slightly more aggressive than japanese giorno. it probably makes their subtle dynamic easier to grasp for a western audience, who expect main characters to sound less reserved.

it already kinda changes the feel of giorno as a character, cause his moments of cold aggression are less distinct from his normal speaking voice. will be interesting to see.
If people don't get that side of Giorno after watching him feed Polpo a banana gun then they aren't watching the show right.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, kensho had only helped bring his good boy side to life, the manga giorno is pretty damn BOSS sometimes... xD

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
He can go from sweet scared boy to mafia overlord in a second, as natural as breathing =3=~~|
i have a question: was the line before the Cioccolatta beatdown translated accurately as "did you really think you'd be that lucky? a piece of shit like you?"

cause in some of the youtube versions of the clip he says a milder version of that, and in the newer manga translation he says "a man like you" i believe. was it intended to be a fairly out of character profane way of referring to a person?

cause the intensity in his voice in that moment and the dramatic lighting really sold it to me as being accurate.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i have a question: was the line before the Cioccolatta beatdown translated accurately as "did you really think you'd be that lucky? a piece of shit like you?"

cause in some of the youtube versions of the clip he says a milder version of that, and in the newer manga translation he says "a man like you" i believe. was it intended to be a fairly out of character profane way of referring to a person?

cause the intensity in his voice in that moment and the dramatic lighting really sold it to me as being accurate.
The line was:
「自分を知れ。。このおいしい話が。。。お前のようなもの人間に?!」

"Know your place(know yourself)...A sweet deal like that...For someone like you?!"

The piece of shit was a localization choice, i'd say it is weird to use, might have been beause giorno wasn't speaking in his usually formal tone, but it's far too exagerrated for someone that's classy even when using informal language(giorno's use of informal language is very correct gramatically, like Dio's)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The line was:
「自分を知れ。。このおいしい話が。。。お前のようなもの人間に?!」

"Know your place(know yourself)...A sweet deal like that...For someone like you?!"

The piece of shit was a localization choice, i'd say it is weird to use, might have been beause giorno wasn't speaking in his usually formal tone, but it's far too exagerrated for someone that's classy even when using informal language(giorno's use of informal language is very correct gramatically, like Dio's)
hmm. i like the punched-up version, though I'm not sure which i like better. obviously Cioccolatta's line immediately after in the more vulgar version kinda takes away from it. ("you're so mean!")

by the way, where do these different anime translations come from? i know Crunchyroll has an unofficial extension that replaces stand names with the originals, does it also alter more general translations as well?

or is it simply a different translation by a different anime streaming service (i don't actually know any others off the top of my head)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
hmm. i like the punched-up version, though I'm not sure which i like better. obviously Cioccolatta's line immediately after in the more vulgar version kinda takes away from it. ("you're so mean!")

by the way, where do these different anime translations come from? i know Crunchyroll has an unofficial extension that replaces stand names with the originals, does it also alter more general translations as well?

or is it simply a different translation by a different anime streaming service (i don't actually know any others off the top of my head)
I translated that line from what i heard... but usually each streaming service hires their translators and the freedom they'll have to work varies by service. The brazilian translation of GW reads completely different(and very loyal to the original) than the English one, so they either have different directions per region or give the translators a lot of freedom.

Im assuming crunchy may be pretty lax because of the simulcast, some services just edit over everything the translators do :/

I'm pretty sure the "you're so mean!" Line was a weird choice too

I personally wouldn't have used piece of shit in that line. If that was the original intention you'd have japanese giorno saying 「クソ野郎」(shitty person) or 「やつ」(not literally translated but can mean: scum). Giorno never calls ciocolata names, he only says "people like you" in a way that belittles the man, using words like "shit" to refer to people is Bruno's thing

pirata

Oct 25, 2017

There's at least one English fan group that I know of that was doing Golden Wind. Their releases came several days after the Crunchyroll simulcast, but the subs are much better (more accurate, more character-appropriate translated dialogue, real stand names).

...Can we talk about specific sub groups?

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
There's at least one English fan group that I know of that was doing Golden Wind. Their releases came several days after the Crunchyroll simulcast, but the subs are much better (more accurate, more character-appropriate translated dialogue, real stand names).

...Can we talk about sub groups?
They have no pressure or deadlines to match, so the work will be usually better... provided that the subs actually know japanese.

Not that crunchy does a bad job, i thought the work their brazilian translators did for golden wind was outstanding, even not considering the short deadline, but the american subs were uh... taking too many liberties imo

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
They have no pressure or deadlines to match, so the work will be usually better... provided that the subs actually know japanese.

Not that crunchy does a bad job, i thought the work their brazilian translators did for golden wind was outstanding, even not considering the short deadline, but the american subs were uh... taking too many liberties imo

It's not even just taking liberties (although even with my novice skills in Japanese I could tell they were making weird choices sometime...but I also read the manga), but the actual dialogue writing for the CR subs was often not fantastic. The deadlines must suck ass, though. Probably not enough time to take a second pass, and whoever got assigned to it probably didn't read t he manga beforehand.

The dialogue in the dub so far seem much better.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even just taking liberties (although even with my novice skills in Japanese I could tell they were making weird choices sometime...but I also read the manga), but the actual dialogue writing for the CR subs was not fantastic sometimes. The deadlines must suck ass, though. Probably not enough time to take a second pass, and whoever got assigned to it probably didn't read t he manga beforehand.
Idk, sometimes english localization jist says "fuck it" to the source marerial in order to make the product more approachable and i think this only hurta everyone else involved.

Ar least they stopped with that 4kids crap...

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this I'm reminded that Golden Experience's ability to fuck with someone else's senses was basically dropped around half way through the series (if not earlier) right? I can't think of any time he used it after Giorno joined Bucciarati.

Also, completely other random thought that it reminded me of: When Dio fathered Giorno he had Jonathan's body. So does that mean he's technically related to the JoJo's or is there some magic fuckery and Dio's cells took over or some shit and he's actually Dio's. If he is technically a JoJo would that technically make him Joseph's uncle? lol

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this I'm reminded that Golden Experience's ability to fuck with someone else's senses was basically dropped around half way through the series (if not earlier) right? I can't think of any time he used it after Giorno joined Bucciarati.

Also, completely other random thought that it reminded me of: When Dio fathered Giorno he had Jonathan's body. So does that mean he's technically related to the JoJo's or is there some magic fuckery and Dio's cells took over or some shit and he's actually Dio's. If he is technically a JoJo would that technically make him Joseph's uncle? lol

The senses stuff plus the damage reflection never comes back after Black Sabbath (I think the reflection might have been used for the last time versus Buccellati). Araki realized that GE had too many powers and pulled back to focus on the life creation, which was the most versatile and visually striking power (and the inverse of Dio's vampirism). I wish he had created a separate stand that had the damage reflection stuff, since that could have been applied in some cool ways (don't tell me if it comes back later in later parts of the manga, I'm not completely through it yet).

EDIT: Giorno has three daddies and one mommy. Evil mommy, evil step-daddy, evil vampire hair daddy, and ultimate gentleman sperm daddy. Giorno is, in fact, a Jojo, and is the half-brother of George Jostar II, who died in WWI. So yeah, magic fuckery all around.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, once Giorno starts being able to replace the team's body parts, the damage reflection would've made them all eventually practically invulnerable.

I wouldn't be surprised if the *initial* idea for the GER Diavolo-always-dying thing was King Crimson's power being turned back on itself via the damage reflection, but who knows.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, once Giorno starts being able to replace the team's body parts, the damage reflection would've made them all eventually practically invulnerable.

I wouldn't be surprised if the *initial* idea for the GER Diavolo-always-dying thing was King Crimson's power being turned back on itself via the damage reflection, but who knows.

you can argue thst integrating the body part makes it no longer supported by giorno's power and thus its own organic material. he says something originally about the frog not being "matured" or "loyal" yet, which implies the effect goes away.

GER seems like a clear extension of that earlier "senses berserk" power, only it affects your REALITY rather than your mind. its also activated the same way: by physically punching the opponent. (Diavolo's first death was actually when Giorno sent him flying into the canal)

Ive said before, but it feels like araki was making a concerted effort to justify not talking about those powers again. all of the enemies gio punches go down immediately after, so whatever happened to their senses doesn't matter. the only one that breaks this rule is babyface, but its arguable that giorno wasnt actually hitting the stand itself, just the physical materials it was possessing.

---
re translations, how are the subs usually on the english version of the blu rays? who does them?

also where can i watch/find the fansubs that have been done currently?

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
re translations, how are the subs usually on the english version of the blu rays? who does them?
I'd assume it's the blu ray publisher, so it'll be retranslated, idk how faithful they'll be or if they'll follow the dub instead of the original, but i can check it once they're out since i kinda intend on buying these blu rays haha

Can't answer the second question since there are no legal ways to do so :/

The best experience will always end up being leranig a bit of japanese... it's a language that leaves a lot of room for interpretation and relies on context for almost everything, so it's a bitch to translate... also for GW some nuances about Giorno's behavior around the team can only be noticed in japanese because of the use of formal vs. informal japanese... you can pinpoint by the way he talks the exact moment he realized he got in charge of the team by the final battle and to who he is closer or not by how he addresses them xP

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I'd assume it's the blu ray publisher, so it'll be retranslated, idk how faithful they'll be or if they'll follow the dub instead of the original, but i can check it once they're out since i kinda intend on buying these blu rays haha

Can't answer the second question since there are no legal ways to do so :/
ah, well that is an answer in itself. i was expecting you were talking about subtitle tracks, ie a file you download and play over the source material. those are definitely legal. but i guess it makes sense. i honestly don't mind the adapted names since i can easily just replace them in me mind with what the characters are actually saying out loud, so I'll be getting the blu rays some day fer sure! im fascinated by seeing the same story with different translation.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
ah, well that is an answer in itself. i was expecting you were talking about subtitle tracks, ie a file you download and play over the source material. those are definitely legal. but i guess it makes sense. i honestly don't mind the adapted names since i can easily just replace them in me mind with what the characters are actually saying out loud, so I'll be getting the blu rays some day fer sure! im fascinated by seeing the same story with different translation.
Yeah, bless translation licenses that won't allow people to use somewhere else's translations unless you buy them xP

Well the tracks are probably around, just need to look for them for a bit, but getting the files out of the blu ray is the gray area since some people would consider that illegal... can we even buy the episodes digitally?that would kinda erase that problem

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, bless translation licenses that won't allow people to use somewhere else's translations unless you buy them xP

Well the tracks are probably around, just need to look for them for a bit, but getting the files out of the blu ray is the gray area since some people would consider that illegal... can we even buy the episodes digitally?that would kinda erase that problem
i presume theres a way to swing it if you're playing the blu ray through your computer

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
speaking of language questions, people familiar with italian, based on what I know from the assassins creed games "molto bene" means roughly (in order) "very" and "good", and if "di" is commonly used as a similar intensifier, isn't Melone saying something like "Very Extremely!" or "Extremely Very!"?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
speaking of language questions, people familiar with italian, based on what I know from the assassins creed games "molto bene" means roughly (in order) "very" and "good", and if "di" is commonly used as a similar intensifier, isn't Melone saying something like "Very Extremely!" or "Extremely Very!"?
All I know is that "Di Molto" is a complete nonsense line, it makes absolutely no sense. "Very Extremely" is probably what he would be saying if you were to translate it.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
All I know is that "Di Molto" is a complete nonsense line, it makes absolutely no sense. "Very Extremely" is probably what he would be saying if you were to translate it.
Saw a tweet about lucca con where they did a panel with araki and someone asked if melone is from Florence because it seems like this is a expression used there haha

"Di molto" kinda resembles a brazilian slang "de mais" which means basically something is awesome but it's totally nonsensical because it just means "very much", literally. So something like "Jojo é de mais!" Would translate to "Jojo is very much!" So i mever really thought it was odd until someone pointed it out

The tweet was in this thread iirc

Edit: just realized this was JKuch so i feel kinda dumb for writing the last part as i did, hue :P

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a tweet about lucca con where they did a panel with araki and someone asked if melone is from Florence because it seems like this is a expression used there haha

"Di molto" kinda resembles a portuguese slang "de mais" which means basically something is awesome but it's totally nonsensical because it just means "very much" so like "Jojo é demais!" Would translate to "Jojo is very much!" So i mever really thought it was odd until someone pointed it out

The tweet was in this thread iirc
interesting, so its similar to american surfer slang of calling stuff "totally extreme" or the like?