• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
interesting, so its similar to american surfer slang of calling stuff "totally extreme" or the like?
well, sorta, "de mais" can be misinterpreted as "demais" which means "too much", which would change the meaning of the phrase entirely haha

*im sleepy so i just realized i wrote "portuguese" slang, but idk if it's used in portugal too, i meant a brazilian portuguese slang

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
so, now that we've had time to think more about it, how do people feel about the way episode 38 began? I saw a lot of people reacting negatively and wishing it was paced like the manga version.

Personally I thought it was a brilliant move, both for how it immediately gives you a chance to look at all the characters who've been lost in a happy environment before you see them being avenged, and for how it immediately hints at the fact that what's happening in the present is inevitable, and the last real struggle is going to be one that already happened.

there's also the factor of confusion for people who've been anticipating the return of the show after such a long break, which i think is an extra clever wrinkle to all this. but even when binging it, i feel like it hits in a similar way, where you were probably super eager to see the next episode and are met with this frankly inscrutable conversation. (god i love mista)

Also just from a pure cinematography and symbolism pov, the transition to the present is extremely well done. its showing how far they've come, significantly symbolized by the flight of a living thing up into the golden sky, arriving at their final destination. Giorno isn't there, but his spirit looms over that short scene, and is punctuated by his absolutely overpowering actions in the present.

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
wait... the english dub doesn't use the english language version of Fighting Gold? why did they make it, then?

ok im kinda mad about no "Gang Star".......... Primo Mafioso is good..... but GangStar, dude....

The fact that Giorno straight-facedly uses this absolutely ridiculous made-up word is supposed to be part of what shocks buccarati about him... despite how severe and reserved he can seem, he's literally fucking crazy.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
wait... the english dub doesn't use the english language version of Fighting Gold? why did they make it, then?

ok im kinda mad about no "Gang Star".......... Primo Mafioso is good..... but GangStar, dude....

The fact that Giorno straight-facedly uses this absolutely ridiculous made-up word is supposed to be part of what shocks buccarati about him... despite how severe and reserved he can seem, he's literally fucking crazy.
Not crazy, just young lmao, he says that with a straight face cause he's still a kid xP

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Not crazy, just young lmao, he says that with a straight face cause he's still a kid xP
that's not the read i get honestly. he seems like such a straight-laced kid! It feels out of nowhere coming from his personality, which is so adult in his understanding and view of the world. You'd expect a kid like that to want to use adult terms to be taken seriously.

But he's just got such a wildly radical view of the future of gangs in Italy as a force for reforming the entire country rather than just profiting off it and keeping the peace. It feels like he's stressing this new word as a symbol of something no one has ever seen before, hence it being His Dream.

He's not a normal kid at all, he's almost otherworldly in that moment when he asks bruno to join him.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
that's not the read i get honestly. he seems like such a straight-laced kid! It feels out of nowhere coming from his personality, which is so adult in his understanding and view of the world. You'd expect a kid like that to want to use adult terms to be taken seriously.

But he's just got such a wildly radical view of the future of gangs in Italy as a force for reforming the entire country rather than just profiting off it and keeping the peace. It feels like he's stressing this new word as a symbol of something no one has ever seen before, hence it being His Dream.

He's not a normal kid at all, he's almost otherworldly in that moment when he asks bruno to join him.
I meant a kid in a sense that he still believes in dreams and that he can do anything without having the fears a regular seasoned adult would have, he's got no need to feel shame about saying gangstar cause that's a possible dream for him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I meant a kid in a sense that he still believes in dreams and that he can do anything without having the fears a regular seasoned adult would have, he's got no need to feel shame about saying gangstar cause that's a possible dream for him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sure, i agree that's part of his character, but it also feels like there's something there that goes beyond that. a sense of authority that isn't just optimism or confidence, but absolute belief in his goals.

its the type of thing that comes from someone who grew up before their time, who has in a lot of ways already been tested as a person and found answers for his own doubts.

And yet through that process of growth he never once reconsidered GangStar, which may indeed have come to him at a young age, because he believes in the purity it represents, and believes he can MAKE it a mature signifier through sheer force of will alone. That's some crazy yet admirable shit, to me.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
sure, i agree that's part of his character, but it also feels like there's something there that goes beyond that. a sense of authority that isn't just optimism or confidence, but absolute belief in his goals.

its the type of thing that comes from someone who grew up before their time, who has in a lot of ways already been tested as a person and found answers for his own doubts.

And yet through that process of growth he never once reconsidered GangStar, which may indeed have come to him at a young age, because he believes in the purity it represents, and believes he can MAKE it a mature signifier through sheer force of will alone. That's some crazy yet admirable shit, to me.
And to Bruno. He believed that madman

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i have acquired an alternate subtitle track for golden wind. it rules. seeing a different interpretation of Araki's writing is giving me a better impression about what it must actually be like to experience it in its original form.

However, the most interesting insight it gave me from watching the first episode again was more about something that WASN'T really conveyed in either translation.

When Bruno asks Giorno if he'd turn in an abandoned briefcase of money, Giorno replies with "Masaka", which is translated here as "No way!" or "Never!". Later on when Giorno asks Bruno if he's really a cop, he says "Masaka", translated as "Of course not.".

The translators tailored different interpretations of the same word because they wanted to make it flow more contextually based on what each character was responding to.

However it's pretty clear when you're listening to the delivery that this was meant to be Bruno coldly mocking Giorno's earlier response by echoing it exactly.

That one moment really made me understand the kind of wordplay and creativity Araki brings to his dialogue, and how it can easily go over a translator's head. (even though i respect all the translations i've seen as a person who obviously does not speak the language and only kinda understands a few words)

It's fun to piece together a kind of pseudo-understanding of the original script with these subtitles as guides

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
why do so many people misunderstand what percentages actually mean in the context of the jellyfish scene. "what happened to the other 2% of the liquid" is such a common question framed as a slam dunk "lol silly araki" moment and it makes me laugh every time.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
why do so many people misunderstand what percentages actually mean in the context of the jellyfish scene. "what happened to the other 2% of the liquid" is such a common question framed as a slam dunk "lol silly araki" moment and it makes me laugh every time.
Don't let that distract you from the fact that 100 percent of the liquid is still in his mouth and probably had a chance to be swished around his gums

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Don't let that distract you from the fact that 100 percent of the liquid is still in his mouth and probably had a chance to be swished around his gums
my theory is that since the piss is technically part of the jellyfish he can now convert it back to a tooth without the piss falling out. but i do agree, he took at least a little bit of piss droplets for the team during the initial absorbtion. a true champ

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
something that just came to me: bruno woke up during the soul switching right away because unlike everyone else who was switched, his soul had already come loose from his body once and was at the moment on the verge of leaking out again. his vulnerability became his strength, which allowed him to wake up in Diavolo's body, see Requiem strolling around outside the colluseum with the arrow, and give chase, figuring out exactly what had happened as he went.

doppio is the only other person who wakes up at a different time than everyone else, which is because bruno's body is a corpse that isn't really meant to house a soul any more, but is still just barely able to.

its kind of cruelly ironic that doppio's last moments are spent kind of marvelling at bruno's condition and taking advantage of him, but his end comes from him experiencing the exact same thing.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
watched a few clips of the Six Bullets reveal episode. it's kinda disappointing how little variety there is in the voices. Bruno and Jotaro sound so similar to Mista and Sale.

It feels like there's only one type of anime dub voice they get for "tough serious male character". The Bullets also sound kinda tinny and weird, pretty clearly being put through a filter rather than someone actually doing their voice.

ah well.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
found a cool amv from when part 5 ended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRBBC2sdZwQ

This person's videos more than any i've found so far show a real insight into the show and a genuine talent for music video editing. so many amvs fall into the trap of using the same few action sequences in their entirety rather than cutting out specific impactful moments.

In this case, they really understand the spirit of Golden Wind being all about the journey rather than the destination, and looking back at the defining moments along the way. It's a story where the main focus and narrative direction changes multiple times, but the thing that remains constant is the people who are going through it all together.

il famiglia, one might say.

Also they did a Phantom Blood AMV set to Neil Cicierega's Bustin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n41tw0sg_8

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
just realized that it would have been perfect if in the diavolo beatdown cliffhanger instead of saying "to be continued" it read "To Be???", referencing the fact that diavolo never actually continues from this moment, technically

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
it seems im the only person posting in here, but ive been reading a lot about people's thoughts on the sleeping slaves arc, and more specifically been thinking about how some people miss the point of it.

Something that just crystalized recently is exactly what Rolling Stone's ability is in service of: a happier result. Rolling Stones seeks to minimize the amount of hardship and pain people go through, and it does this not by changing fate, but by ensuring one death doesn't directly lead to more.

It's a very utilitarian philosophy: you're going to die already so you might as well do it while your organs can still prevent the death of another. A life saved.

You're going to become dissatisfied with your place in the world and unable to contain your disgust for the one you serve, so you might as well die before you drag the rest of your followers down with you.

But what if it isn't just about minimizing losses and maximizing triumphs? what if walking a doomed path is simply the right thing to do, and might in the end lead to a painful victory that has far more meaning and impact than not having fought at all?

Scollipi realizes this as he sees what has become of the shattered rock, and perhaps in the future his stand becomes less rigid in its logic as to what outcomes must be changed. the stone has been with him since childhood, and its guiding force has definitely up till this point been a very childish desire: to have only the best possible things happen.

rather than telling people what is best for them in the short term, it may learn to look farther ahead and more broadly at the meaning of people's lives.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
D: it's a kind stand but a bit of a defeatist one... if only bucci had died(as in the gang never met giorno) narancia and abbachio would be fine but napoli would still suck. Had the old man's doctor not comit suicide, her dad would die too, but by him staying alive longe he still will have to deal with losing a daughter who was very young :/ is it about minimizing losses or just creating more suffering? The gang withiut bruno would suffer a lot, that's the main reason he kept going even as an undead :/

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
D: it's a kind stand but a bit of a defeatist one... if only bucci had dued(as in the gang never met giorno) narancia and abbachio would be fine but napoli would stull suck. Had the old man's doctor not comit suicide, her dad would die too, but by him staying alive longe he still will have to deal with losing a daughter who was very young :/ is it about minimizing losses or just creating more suffering? The gang withiut bruno would suffer a lot, that's the main reason he kept going even as an undead :/
all the rock cares about is that less people die. it doesn't consider what is right or good in any truly human sense. perhaps what it did for the florist's daughter was for her the ideal circumstance, but remember that it was scollipi's distant behavior through all this that led the florist to believe he had killed his daughter. he misses the beauty of life for the cold fact of it; exchanging one for another, one for two.

In the case of the florist he caused pain beyond that which he spared, even though on paper all is even and neatly wrapped up.

This is not to say that scollipi is a bad guy; he didnt choose to manifest his stand. but i think he learned here how the stone is a reflection of the ways he is flawed, and that fate is not always the dark deterministic thing he imagined it to be. in the end it's what you make of the path you've been given.

I think that relates to Giorno in a lot of ways: he was in this criminal environment, set up to walk a dark path, and instead of trying to run from that fate he embraces it and uses it to shine even brighter than he would have if he had been walking in the light, and lift up with him others who were resigned to that same dead end road.

Oct 25, 2017
it seems im the only person posting in here, but ive been reading a lot about people's thoughts on the sleeping slaves arc, and more specifically been thinking about how some people miss the point of it.

Something that just crystalized recently is exactly what Rolling Stone's ability is in service of: a happier result. Rolling Stones seeks to minimize the amount of hardship and pain people go through, and it does this not by changing fate, but by ensuring one death doesn't directly lead to more.

It's a very utilitarian philosophy: you're going to die already so you might as well do it while your organs can still prevent the death of another. A life saved.

You're going to become dissatisfied with your place in the world and unable to contain your disgust for the one you serve, so you might as well die before you drag the rest of your followers down with you.

But what if it isn't just about minimizing losses and maximizing triumphs? what if walking a doomed path is simply the right thing to do, and might in the end lead to a painful victory that has far more meaning and impact than not having fought at all?

Scollipi realizes this as he sees what has become of the shattered rock, and perhaps in the future his stand becomes less rigid in its logic as to what outcomes must be changed. the stone has been with him since childhood, and its guiding force has definitely up till this point been a very childish desire: to have only the best possible things happen.

rather than telling people what is best for them in the short term, it may learn to look farther ahead and more broadly at the meaning of people's lives.
So it's basically Sir Nighteye's quirk from MHA?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
So it's basically Sir Nighteye's quirk from MHA?
isn't nighteye's whole thing that he can't change fate at all? honestly he's more like Thoth if it were used by someone adept at interpreting it.

Scollipi can't save people directly, but he can alter fate indirectly by obeying the letter of the law: this person has to die, so let them die in a way that has a different immediate result.

Oct 25, 2017
isn't nighteye's whole thing that he can't change fate at all? honestly he's more like Thoth if it were used by someone adept at interpreting it.

Scollipi can't save people directly, but he can alter fate indirectly by obeying the letter of the law: this person has to die, so let them die in a way that has a different immediate result.
I think Nighteye realizes that his visions aren't set in stone though. You find so many deeper meanings in these stand shenanigans.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I think Nighteye realizes that his visions aren't set in stone though. You find so many deeper meanings in these stand shenanigans.
ah, well im not caught up to that point then.

i think it's different for scollipi still. rolling stone is always right. what scollipi learns is not to fear the result so much, and trust in the resilience of the intentions and humanity of those who will die.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
btw i forgot to mention why i was thinking about the sleeping slaves arc i guess: i'm sure yall already know this but the jojo's bizzare comparison site just finished golden wind's BDs, and the Sleeping Slaves episode had basically every single frame of Mista and Scollipi's conversation tweaked or retouched in some way.

For a moment that imo is one of the best subtle pieces of character work in all of jojo, i'm so happy they focused so hard on making it even better.

The best part of the scene is the slow realization Mista has that this isn't like any other stand fight he's experienced (or will experience in the future), and that something more important than he can fully understand is at stake here.

I've seen people on other messageboards talking about how the reason it exists instead of golden wind ending with Diavolo's defeat is because they would have been behind on chapters to sell a full final volume, which is something that sounds like it definitely has some truth to it: no matter where in the world, comics industries are always about their volumes.

One thing I never see people acknowledge is that Araki could easily have made it a set of chapters about Giorno's rise and the aftermath of the final battle, but he very specifically made it this unexpected little thesis statement on the themes of the part.

If Araki had wanted you to go out on solely a feeling of triumph and victory, he could have. instead he wanted you to remember that it isn't about the result, but the will of those attempting to achieve it.

It is an intentional anticlimax that builds into a beautiful moment of realization, as those faces emerge from the dust. I love it for the exact reasons a lot of message board folks seem to hate it: it breaks up the flow of what you were expecting, and asks more of you than to simply feel a vicarious thrill.

A whole lot of the last arc of part 5 was spoiled for me by random twitter joke accounts and people talking a bit too excitedly online (never here i must say) and it was such a nice surprise to have this sleeping slaves arc be totally unspoiled, probably because people don't consider it worth mentioning.

If it had been a traditional jojo ending like a lot of previous arcs (excluding Phantom Blood, interestingly) where we just do a victory lap after the conflict is over, those spoilers would probably have left a worse taste in my mouth than they did. But instead i got an ending that specifically asked me to think about more than just the strategies and twists and turns of the fight. (still wish i hadn't known anything tho lol, which is why i immediately read all of stone ocean to current jojolion so no one could ever spoil those for me)

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
good post from Three Years Ago about giorno giovanna i found

i've had difficulty articulating it, but this helped: if Josuke was meant to be a more human and ordinary protagonist, just a kid who wanted to live a normal fun life and keep his neighborhood safe, then giorno is meant to still be human but to be a person with extremely defined morals and ideals, and exceptional ambition to guide him.

Josuke is reactive: getting involved once the threat directly affects him. Giorno is proactive, actively scrutinizing every aspect of society and people, and getting pulled into conflict by his plan to address the root of the problem from the start.

And what defines this difference between them is their upbringing. Giorno learned early about the darkness in the world, and about the capacity of honorable gangsters to lift others out of it, regardless of what society says about criminals.

Josuke had a happy childhood and loving caregivers who instilled into him both a compassionate nature and a deep trust in society and the rule of law.

They both ended up fighting for something good, and they both could just as easily have fallen into a negative lifestyle: giorno becoming infected with the darkness that beat him down, and josuke's trust turning to complacency, his compassion to apathy.

Josuke has to do a lot of growing up over the course of the story, but Giorno's already had to grow up before his story begins. His arc is the uplifting of others, not his discovery of his own self.

Oct 25, 2017
good post from Three Years Ago about giorno giovanna i found

i've had difficulty articulating it, but this helped: if Josuke was meant to be a more human and ordinary protagonist, just a kid who wanted to live a normal fun life and keep his neighborhood safe, then giorno is meant to still be human but to be a person with extremely defined morals and ideals, and exceptional ambition to guide him.

Josuke is reactive: getting involved once the threat directly affects him. Giorno is proactive, actively scrutinizing every aspect of society and people, and getting pulled into conflict by his plan to address the root of the problem from the start.

And what defines this difference between them is their upbringing. Giorno learned early about the darkness in the world, and about the capacity of honorable gangsters to lift others out of it, regardless of what society says about criminals.

Josuke had a happy childhood and loving caregivers who instilled into him both a compassionate nature and a deep trust in society and the rule of law.

They both ended up fighting for something good, and they both could just as easily have fallen into a negative lifestyle: giorno becoming infected with the darkness that beat him down, and josuke's trust turning to complacency, his compassion to apathy.

Josuke has to do a lot of growing up over the course of the story, but Giorno's already had to grow up before his story begins. His arc is the uplifting of others, not his discovery of his own self.
For the "most boring Jojo" Giorno offers some of the most in depth analysis.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
For the "most boring Jojo" Giorno offers some of the most in depth analysis.
Fucked up childhoods shape the whole way you're gonna act in the future, Giorno's way of shaking because he's repressing tears is a terrible coping mechanism, for instance, and you can write a damn paper on that if you wanted to

But, honestly every jojo can go through that kinda analisys and you'd get something interesting, none of them are actually normal besides jonathan D: all of them are a bit fucked up, giorno just happens to be more subtle, so you need to do that in order to understand whats going on... what we see is just the tip of the iceberg there

I disagree with the text though... giorno has a growth curve, he had to learn how to lead during the part, and most people overlook that cause they get hooked in his way of pretending he got everything figured out from the start lol

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Fucked up childhoods shape the whole way you're gonna act in the future, Giorno's way of shaking because he's repressing tears is a terrible coping mechanism, for instance, and you can write a damn paper on that if you wanted to
it's such a contrast seeing him like that in the flashback after you've been introduced to him as this smooth-talking guy with an easy smile.

as young haruno he seems just totally shut down and withdrawn, and he becomes such a charismatic and outgoing person, but you can still see the part of him that just wants to wait and observe everything before speaking up.

it's truly heartbreaking to think about. but i think he did break free of some of that remaining withdrawn nature over the course of part 5. if anything, what he went through was a way of making him more "Himself". refining his essence and purifying some of his own trauma through all the joy and suffering and righteous actions.

Oct 25, 2017

But, honestly every jojo can go through that kinda analisys and you'd get something interesting, none of them are actually normal besides jonathan D: all of them are a bit fucked up, giorno just happens to be more subtle, so you need to do that in order to understand whats going on... what we see is just the tip of the iceberg there

I disagree with the text though... giorno has a growth curve, he had to learn how to lead during the part, and most people overlook that cause they get hooked in his way of pretending he got everything figured out from the start lol
Also not everybody understands Japanese language structure. When you explained it to me it added a completely extra layer to Giorno, that you and me both know got lost in the dub.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i agree that he did learn things and grow, after all that's part of what the requiem evolution represents. but the point of the text is that as a person he is fundamentally the same.

he never second guesses his goal, and he applies the same philosophy to his actions from beginning to end.

He knew he wasn't a leader from the start, but he was committed to becoming one. his resolve was etched in stone, all that remained was to carry it out.

Jolyne is a perfect example of the polar opposite. (and she rules too)

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
it's truly heartbreaking to think about. but i think he did break free of some of that remaining withdrawn nature over the course of part 5. if anything, what he went through was a way of making him more "Himself". refining his essence and purifying some of his own trauma through all the joy and suffering and righteous actions.
That's what bothers me everytime someone says the guy had no character growth... after going through that kind of stuff, growing out of your shell and learning to trust others again is a pretty damn hard task, in the manga you can see the guy shaking, doubting himself, some borderline anxiety attacks in fights like white album and such and he grew out of all that... the confidence he shows in the later episodes is genuine, while his confidence in the first battles was more of an act or him showing up a stronger front than he had...

You can see by the way he approaches fights he had to slowly let people do their thing instead of doing suicide attacks so people would move to solve stuff, he didn't know all that from day 1

i agree that he did learn things and grow, after all that's part of what the requiem evolution represents. but the point of the text is that as a person he is fundamentally the same.

he never second guesses his goal, and he applies the same philosophy to his actions from beginning to end.

He knew he wasn't a leader from the start, but he was committed to becoming one. his resolve was etched in stone, all that remained was to carry it out.

Jolyne is a perfect example of the polar opposite. (and she rules too)
Yeah his ideals were set from the beginning, he just had to work out how to get there, if he was a complete character from the get go he would be the gary stu people make him out to be lol

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
That's what bothers me everytime someone says the guy had no character growth... after going through that kind of stuff, growing out of your shell and learning to trust others again is a pretty damn hard task, in the manga you can see the guy shaking, doubting himself, some borderline anxiety attacks in fights like white album and such and he grew out of all that... the confidence he shows in the later episodes is genuine, while his confidence in the first battles was more of an act or him showing up a stronger front than he had...

You can see by the way he approaches fights he had to slowly let people do their thing instead of doing suicide attacks so people would move to solve stuff, he didn't know all that from day 1

Yeah his ideals were set from the beginning, he just had to work out how to get there, if he was a complete character from the get go he would be the gary stu people make him out to be lol
yeah, there's a difference between a character being "static" and being "complete". a "complete" character would not regard the events of the story they're in as particularly defining in the grand scheme of their life.

wheras a character being static simply means (more or less) that their general philosophy for approaching this moment in their lives is one they are absolutely certain of.

if i might ask, what specifically is the insight jaded mentioned you had about Giorno's grammar structure? and while I'm asking, i posted a question about diavolo on Reddit a while ago asking what the tone of his dialogue reads like in japanese.

I can tell from my own ears that giorno is always very polite and measured, and diavolo is very proclamative, like he's delivering a sermon or reciting scripture.

I'm sure you have more to add about both :p

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
if i might ask, what specifically is the insight jaded mentioned you had about Giorno's grammar structure? and while I'm asking, i posted a question about diavolo on Reddit a while ago asking what the tone of his dialogue reads like in japanese.

I can tell from my own ears that giorno is always very polite and measured, and diavolo is very proclamative, like he's delivering a sermon or reciting scripture.

I'm sure you have more to add about both :p
It's the use of formal language, not the grammar per se, you can indentify a lot of nuances in the japanese script from that, like how narancia has a "mission mode" of speaking when bucci is the leader(yeah he uses formal speech too!) and in Giorno's case it is like a thermometer of how much he feels like part of the group...

He is very polite at the start, almost never switching from formal when dealing with the group, to the point of adding honorifics to his speech when dealing with some people he wants to make a good impression on. For example, before the sex pistols battle he referred to Mista as "Mista-san", when he hadn't used that kind of honorifics with anyone in the team, because he saw that the dude was the only one willing to go along with his plan, so he wanted make a good impression... in english that'd be almost the equivalent of calling him "Mr.", considering his previous speech patterns.

When with bruno, outside some more emotional moments he's always on formal language, and he only starts using informal when he starts taking the lead of the gang... The whole chariot requiem bit that was fought without Bruno, Giorno never used formal japanese, because he felt confident enough to be the one in charge, and probably because he felt there was no superior that demanded that kind of language of him at the moment...

Going from needing to treat even the newest guy in the team after him as "sir" to the point he starts shouting orders to the rest without needing the flowery language to be respectiful is a pretty major shift, i know there are probably some nuances i'm missing because I wasn't raised in japan, but coming from a country where formal language is barely used i can see how much any kind of translations simply deletes all that information from the speech, and it is an important bit of his character, using formal speech even when at ease can mean a lot of things in his case, cause he speaks correctly even when not in the gang and usually addresses strangers in a formal way(which is the wise thing to do but you don't see the gang doing at almost all contexts like he does)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's the use of formal language, not the grammar per se, you can indentify a lot of nuances in the japanese script from that, like how narancia has a "mission mode" of speaking when bucci is the leader(yeah he uses formal speech too!) and in Giorno's case it is like a thermometer of how much he feels like part of the group...

He is very polite at the start, almost never switching from formal when dealing with the group, to the point of adding honorifics to his speech when dealing with some people he wants to make a good impression on. For example, before the sex pistols battle he referred to Mista as "Mista-san", when he hadn't used that kind of honorifics with anyone in the team, because he saw that the dude was the only one willing to go along with his plan, so he wanted make a good impression... in english that'd be almost the equivalent of calling him "Mr.", considering his previous speech patterns.

When with bruno, outside some more emotional moments he's always on formal language, and he only starts using informal when he starts taking the lead of the gang... The whole chariot requiem bit that was fought without Bruno, Giorno never used formal japanese, because he felt confident enough to be the one in charge, and probably because he felt there was no superior that demanded that kind of language of him at the moment...

Going from needing to treat even the newest guy in the team after him as "sir" to the point he starts shouting orders to the rest without needing the flowery language to be respectiful is a pretty major shift, i know there are probably some nuances i'm missing because I wasn't raised in japan, but coming from a country where formal language is barely used i can see how much any kind of translations simply deletes all that information from the speech, and it is an important bit of his character, using formal speech even when at ease can mean a lot of things in his case, cause he speaks correctly even when not in the gang and usually addresses strangers in a formal way(which is the wise thing to do but you don't see the gang doing at almost all contexts like he does)
i think a big part of it comes across in the performance even if the translation doesn't get it. interested to see how the official part 5 anime and english bd translations handle it. thanks for elaborating, I'll keep an ear out for it as im currently slowly rewatching gw.

I think the moment that most typifies giorno in the first half is when he's beating the shit out of Ghiaccio's suit in the car in the river and also calmly asking mista to get out of the car.

as far as respectful language, i get the impression that Diavolo is always very respectful in his speech unless things aren't going his way. at the very least he compliments people he's trying to kill quite consistently.

I would imagine he sounds very imperious, addressing people solely by their full name and using no honorifics. but i guess the thing I'm curious about is how he speaks to doppio. is there any significant difference from how he speaks to others, there? I noticed him using words I'd never expect him to, like "kawaii".

I'd imagine generally he shares a lot in common with dio's style of speaking, complete with the turn to unrefined vulgarity/rude speech when he's feeling desperate.

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i think a big part of it comes across in the performance even if the translation doesn't get it. interested to see how the official part 5 anime and english bd translations handle it. thanks for elaborating, I'll keep an ear out for it as im currently slowly rewatching gw.

as far as respectful language, i get the impression that Diavolo is always very respectful in his speech unless things aren't going his way. at the very least he compliments people he's trying to kill quite consistently.

I would imagine he sounds very imperious, addressing people solely by their full name and using no honorifics. but i guess the thing I'm curious about is how he speaks to doppio. is there any significant difference from how he speaks to others, there? I noticed him using words I'd never expect him to, like "kawaii".

I'd imagine generally he shares a lot in common with dio's style of speaking, complete with the turn to unrefined vulgarity/rude speech when he's feeling desperate.
There are major differences between speaking formally and speaking correctly, Giorno's formal is the one you use while talking to people you're not familiar with, it's not as respectful as "humble" language where you lower yourself in order to highten the person you're talking with(although it gets close to that sometimes), but even his formal is very unusual in shonen manga, it's used in characters you wanna make sound rich or princely it's not a normal kid's speech(hence why Abbachio finds him dangerous, kid is being too nice and can sound a bit snobbish). It's the kind of speech where you end all your phrases in "desu", verbs in the polite form "ikimasu", when he's getting anxious or talking to himself he uses informal "desu"->"da", "ikimasu"->"iku", and never adds the ultra informal language the other kids do.

Diavolo is an emperor, therefore he doesn't use that kind of formal, the "keigo" because he has no need to answer to no one, his speech is direct and doesn't humble himself, so he won't use the "desu" forms giorno uses, he is softer on doppio but never humble, if you wanna take notes on speech patterns you need to study a bit of keigo and informal japanese, cause that thing is more like a spectrum >_>, the boss talks like an emperor would, but pointing out all the characteristics of that kinda speech needs some time (and another rewatch cause it's been a while)xP

*don't take it as a rule because i didnt notice diavolo's speech patterns as much as giorno's but the guy is pretty full of himself afair, chariot requiem is a good study on speech patterns but unfortunately it's also the arc giorno kinda drops the formal language lol

Last edited:

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
There are major differences between speaking formally and speaking correctly, Giorno's formal is the one you use while talking to people you're not familiar with, it's not as respectful as "humble" language where you lower yourself in order to highten the person you're talking with(although it gets close to that sometimes), but even his formal is very unusual in shonen manga, it's used in characters you wanna make sound rich or princely it's not a normal kid's speech(hence why Abbachio finds him dangerous, kid is being too nice and can sound a bit snobbish). It's the kind of speech where you end all your phrases in "desu", verbs in the polite form "ikimasu", when he's getting anxious or talking to himself he uses informal "desu"->"da", "ikimasu"->"iku", and never adds the ultra informal language the other kids do.

Diavolo is an emperor, therefore he doesn't use that kind of formal, the "keigo" because he has no need to answer to no one, his speech is direct and doesn't humble himself, so he won't use the "desu" forms giorno uses, he is softer on doppio but never humble, if you wanna take notes on speech patterns you need to study a bit of keigo and informal japanese, cause that thing is more like a spectrum >_>, the boss talks like an emperor would, but pointing out all the characteristics of that kinda speech needs some time (and another rewatch cause it's been a while)xP
haha of course I'm not expecting you to do all my work for me, this is why I'm interested in learning the language for myself!

it's still useful to know that diavolo is fairly consistent and the intricacies of his speech i might not understand are subtle rather than big differences from how i percieve him.

and thank you for that further explanation of giorno's place on the formality scale. i am eager to learn more about keigo speech and such!

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
haha of course I'm not expecting you to do all my work for me, this is why I'm interested in learning the language for myself!

it's still useful to know that diavolo is fairly consistent and the intricacies of his speech i might not understand are subtle rather than big differences from how i percieve him.

and thank you for that further explanation of giorno's place on the formality scale. i am eager to learn more about keigo speech and such!

You're welcome! This makes me want to buy the bunkos tbh lol

Giorno is easier cause his speech changes a lot... He speaks formal a lot of the times and then suddenly changes it when talking about his dream(kono giorno giovanna ni wa yume ga aru - if he kept the keigo here it would end in "arimasu") he's got a very polite way to address everyone but his thoughts are all in "normal" japanese, as well as pretty much everytime someone is in danger and such, it makes it more evident when things are getting out of control at the start...I think that's why the anime dropped Giorno's shaking and invested all in voice acting.

The "Mista-san" gets me everytime though, not even Bucci got a "-san" from him, makes him feel so desperate for approval imo lol, afair only him and koichi(-kun) got honorifics from giorno, but it's been a while... It's like calling the street thug a 'sir' considering the lack of honorifics in this part(because italy), he can be such a dork.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
You're welcome! This makes me want to buy the bunkos tbh lol

Giorno is easier cause his speech changes a lot... He speaks formal a lot of the times and then suddenly changes it when talking about his dream(kono giorno giovanna ni wa yume ga aru - if he kept the keigo here it would end in "arimasu") he's got a very polite way to address everyone but his thoughts are all in "normal" japanese, as well as pretty much everytime someone is in danger and such, it makes it more evident when things are getting out of control at the start...I think that's why the anime dropped Giorno's shaking and invested all in voice acting.

The "Mista-san" gets me everytime though, not even Bucci got a "-san" from him, makes him feel so desperate for approval imo lol, afair only him and koichi(-kun) got honorifics from giorno, but it's been a while... It's like calling the street thug a 'sir' considering the lack of honorifics in this part(because italy), he can be such a dork.
mistaXgiorno is my personal headcanon, so it definitely fits for him to have wanted to make a good first impression to him specifically, lol.

that one moment where mista is being outrageously optimistic in the white album fight and giorno says something like "you're very unusual" in a sort of admiring way just really comes across as being kinda off-balance around mista in a way he isn't with the other boys.

even viewed solely platonically, they're always very cute together

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
mistaXgiorno is my personal headcanon, so it definitely fits for him to have wanted to make a good first impression to him specifically, lol.

that one moment where mista is being outrageously optimistic in the white album fight and giorno says something like "you're very unusual" in a sort of admiring way just really comes across as being kinda off-balance around mista in a way he isn't with the other boys.

Yeah, they're adorable and i'm glad Araki didn't kill them xD

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
Sadly it's going to be Fall 2020 at the earliest
DgbPORXX4AIB-4V.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

You don't just stuff half your hand down the pants of a guy you don't care about.