• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
the concept of the arrow wasn't invented yet. remember when dio was talking about how he discovered the world's power? previously hed been using it as a punch ghost just like jotaro, and then he tapped into its main ability. jotaro had always had the potential to manifest the same ability. stands have a specific stat called "growth potential" that shows up in the interstitial/commercial break screens and refers to how much more about the user's ability could evolve or develop. look at koichi, or rohan. its separate from the arrow.
Based on the nature of stands it's pretty much impossible for two people to have the same stand though. The stand stats are pretty much meaningless since they didn't even get stats until right before Part 6 happens.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the nature of stands it's pretty much impossible for two people to have the same stand though. The stand stats are pretty much meaningless since they didn't even get stats until right before Part 6 happens.
jotaro gained his stand through dio gaining his. it's an unusual situation.

regardless of how unlikely it is, him and dio had the same stand power all along. that's just how it was.

and the stats arent meaningless, they're an indication of what he was going for in the past.

Oct 25, 2017
jotaro gained his stand through dio gaining his. it's an unusual situation.

regardless of how unlikely it is, him and dio had the same stand power all along. that's just how it was.

and the stats arent meaningless, they're an indication of what he was going for in the past.
The stats are very inconsistent. I can't even link a video about how meaningless they are because it discusses some stuff in Part 6. If Dio getting his stand was the trigger for Star Platinum getting the same stand than Josuke should have access to time stop as well.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The stats are very inconsistent. I can't even link a video about how meaningless they are because it discusses some stuff in Part 6. If Dio getting his stand was the trigger for Star Platinum getting the same stand than Josuke should have access to time stop as well.
that's not what the stand gods decided to give him. they decided to link two specific people's stands, wether because they each were compatible in some way or for some other reason. again, im not saying its not inconsistent, im just saying there's nothing more to it.

jotaro didnt get stabbed with an arrow offscreen, nor is his stand ability to copy someone else's stand. the exact logic of it will forever remain a mystery, but the basic facts of what happened are clear.

Oct 25, 2017
that's not what the stand gods decided to give him. they decided to link two specific people's stands, wether because they each were compatible in some way or for some other reason. again, im not saying its not inconsistent, im just saying there's nothing more to it.

jotaro didnt get stabbed with an arrow offscreen, nor is his stand ability to copy someone else's stand. the exact logic of it will forever remain a mystery, but the basic facts of what happened are clear.
Araki wrote himself into a hole and had to give Jotaro time stop to get out of it. Jojo is based on heaps upon heaps of bullshit, I'm fine with most of it, it's just that this one is just one of the weird "this is some dumb bullshit" instances of Jojo. I'm mostly ride or die with Gold Experience, but I just don't like the poor writing behind SDC. For some odd reason animals get the same stand power, but it doesn't seem to work with humans.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Araki wrote himself into a hole and had to give Jotaro time stop to get out of it. Jojo is based on heaps upon heaps of bullshit, I'm fine with most of it, it's just that this one is just one of the weird "this is some dumb bullshit" instances of Jojo. I'm mostly ride or die with Gold Experience, but I just don't like the poor writing behind SDC. For some odd reason animals get the same stand power, but it doesn't seem to work with humans.
that is the real world explanation though. the job of a writer is to reconcile things like that fictionally. basically what I'm saying is that in-universe the explanation can't be "bad writing". it has to have an actual logic behind it. and Occam's razor says its the logic that is immediately visible on the surface of the situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on Reddit. Dio has a ROAD ROLLER. Giorno has a P I A N O:
ez41kdzuub931.png

Dio tier

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking back, I wish Doppio had somehow been a side character since earlier in the show, to make the reveal that he is the boss more shocking and fun. Like have him seemingly -legitimately- taking calls from Diavalo and directing henchmen as a second in command, etc, only to have the same devolution we see in the series where he's talking into ice cream cones.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Looking back, I wish Doppio had somehow been a side character since earlier in the show, to make the reveal that he is the boss more shocking and fun. Like have him seemingly -legitimately- taking calls from Diavalo and directing henchmen as a second in command, etc, only to have the same devolution we see in the series where he's talking into ice cream cones.
i think that could be a separately interesting thing (and a good fit for Fugo if araki went through with his betrayal arc) but the way Doppio was introduced was absolutely stellar, and it relies on how late in the game it is to complete the effect. i feel like it would have to be a very different story if he didn't just come out of nowhere.

also, reading thus spoke rohan kishibe is giving me a lot of insight into a lot of the creepy backstory stuff for the boss that is never fully explained. the world of jojo canonically has things in it far more insidious and ephemeral than any stand ability could be. theres always going to be something lurking just outside our understanding, as viewers, no matter how many stats and rules and origins of various things we are given. that seems very intentional

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
i think that could be a separately interesting thing (and a good fit for Fugo if araki went through with his betrayal arc) but the way Doppio was introduced was absolutely stellar, and it relies on how late in the game it is to complete the effect. i feel like it would have to be a very different story if he didn't just come out of nowhere.

also, reading thus spoke rohan kishibe is giving me a lot of insight into a lot of the creepy backstory stuff for the boss that is never fully explained. the world of jojo canonically has things in it far more insidious and ephemeral than any stand ability could be. theres always going to be something lurking just outside our understanding, as viewers, no matter how many stats and rules and origins of various things we are given. that seems very intentional
They elevated the doppio reveal to 11 when they went for showing him alongside diavolo's backstory. That thing didn't show up in the plot until the colosseum chapters... it was an amazing choice, they didn't get a single miss with those pacing changes... i think the only weird one was splitting Mista's bg so it would end on white album but idk, pushing it all to where they showed the first part like they did would be too damn much
Original manga took a lot more time to show that doppio was related to the boss and it didn't really pay off, trust me, dp did the right call xD

I wished i could find the rohan chapters >_>

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I went back and Watched the Dio fight again. How the fuck did Jotaro gain the World stand? He clearly did not have a arrow on him, so??? Is that that motherfuckers version of Ultra Instinct?
Their Stand is the same "type", as per DIO. They can both throw punches and stop time, but THE WORLD is better at stopping time than punches and Star Platinum is better at throwing punches than stopping time.

This probably occurred beause the reason Jotaro, Joseph and Holly got stands was that DIO got his own Stand and their blood connection (as DIO has Jonathan's body).

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Their Stand is the same "type", as per DIO. They can both throw punches and stop time, but THE WORLD is better at stopping time than punches and Star Platinum is better at throwing punches than stopping time.

This probably occurred beause the reason Jotaro, Joseph and Holly got stands was that DIO got his own Stand and their blood connection (as DIO has Jonathan's body).
The real issue is whether star platinum is fast af because of time manipulation or if its speed and time stop are totally unrelated tbh

But the final fight isn'tthe best place to find out and it only happened for "what does DIo's stand power does"'s sake

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Yknow, been thinking back on the start of vento aureo and i get the complaints about the lack of downtime... no business Giorno is so smug and fun, the piss drinking shenanigans and the pickpocketing were some neat things and after that we only got him trash talking the baddies :/

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
At least we got that scene of them kicking the piss outta that one civilian post Boss betrayal.
That was kinda like a downtime scene for that stage of the game.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
At least we got that scene of them kicking the piss outta that one civilian post Boss betrayal.
That was kinda like a downtime scene for that stage of the game.
Yeah, but didn't have giorno being the smug bastard that gives me life lol

That scene with the civilian was the best meme of the part tho

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yknow, been thinking back on the start of vento aureo and i get the complaints about the lack of downtime... no business Giorno is so smug and fun, the piss drinking shenanigans and the pickpocketing were some neat things and after that we only got him trash talking the baddies :/
The pacing is both one of this part's strengths, and its weaknesses.

The nonstop nature of it gives it a kind of tension to every fight that no other part is close to matching. But it also leaves little breathing room, and we don't get much time to see the gang in more casual situations.

Ultimately it adds something I love to the part, but I can understand if it brings it down for others.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Ugh, I'm already feeling that Freaky Friday withdrawal.

If any of y'all spot me on the street getting into stand poses with strangers to fill this void don't judge!

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My girlfriend decided she wanted to look into more of my interests since she successfully got me into hers (BTS), so she randomly sent me a pic of her watching Phantom Blood episode 1.

This is truly the freakiest of Fridays.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My girlfriend decided she wanted to look into more of my interests since she successfully got me into hers (BTS), so she randomly sent me a pic of her watching Phantom Blood episode 1.

This is truly the freakiest of Fridays.
Let her know that it starts to pick up steam at Part 2.

If only my girlfriend could join me in the JoJo fun.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Let her know that it starts to pick up steam at Part 2.

If only my girlfriend could join me in the JoJo fun.
She was intimidated by the 156 episode count, so I gave her a brief rundown on how the series was setup.

"So there are over 100 episodes of Dio trying to get the Joestar fortune?"

"No! But...Yes? 🤔"

Married her.

And in your honeymoon please don't pick a cruise.
Good point. We'll just hop on a plane and hope for the best. ✊🏾

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
bin watched this season this weekend thinking it was finished only to realized is not and now I have to wait for the finale like the rest of you, I was supposed to be better than all of you that's why I waited this long to watch now I am blue balled damn.
P.D: As non manga reader I think I am liking this season more than 4, I forgot how much I love Jojo.