• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man they are some crazy stories on french twitter right now. Apparently Quantic Dreams knew about the article ahead of time and contacted some influencers (including a big youtuber called Siphano) to tell them that it was bullshit and they needed help. The day the article came out, sure enough Siphano said the whole article was bullshit and was just to get revenge on QD somehow. When finally the plea for help to the influencers was leaked Siphano got a lot of shit and now he went from "it bullshit" to "we don't know, let's wait". He's being ridiculed right now.

https://twitter.com/cafegaming/status/952854813053718528
https://twitter.com/cafegaming/status/952855367398117376
https://twitter.com/Siphano/status/952851721667121152

If a French member wants to decypher all this and make sense of it that'd be interesting.

What a big mess

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Man they are some crazy stories on french twitter right now. Apparently Quantic Dreams knew about the article ahead of time and contacted some influencers (including a big youtuber called Siphano) to tell them that it was bullshit and they needed help. The day the article came out, sure enough Siphano said the whole article was bullshit and was just to get revenge on QD somehow. When finally the plea for help to the influencers was leaked Siphano got a lot of shit and now he went from "it bullshit" to "we don't know, let's wait". He's being ridiculed right now.

If a French member wants to decypher all this and make sense of it that'd be interesting.

This is pathetic.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever patch out the problematic Ellen Page model out of that other game? That was just gross..

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I read this as David Cage having been blacklisted by Sony and was confused by all the responses.

Then I reread it.

What the FUCK.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If he didn't contact Sony for comment before running the story that would be grounds for black listing imo.

Guess we'll find out more in the next few days.

Wait... It's bad journalism to publish a story about a studio and then be blacklisted by a company that doesn't own said studio? Not contacting an entity that isn't the basis of your story is grounds for this reaction from Sony?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but higher-ups could lift the blacklisting once they hear about it. I don't think this is a huge issue so long as someone does so, unless it's actually official policy for Sony to blacklist people for these types of things.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this doesn't reflect well on Sony in any case but that one poster being all "hurr durr, arrogant Sony" was just silly, as if their position in the console market has anything to do with this.

Their position in the market would only make this more likely honestly. Their market dominance and popularity means that their games and consoles will still sell millions even if they blacklist critics.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Cuz in the scenario I laid out, going publicly about it would've meant burning people, and you still wanted it to happen because reasons. The reply he gave was vague enough not to burn anyone. There's a difference between someone who asks him the question just to hear the answer, and someone who asks the question, is explained to by someone else how it could happen/possibly happened, and then still goes ahead and demands the journalist verifies that is what happened.

At the end of the day I just wanted to know how he knew, directly from his own words and not "what could be possible".

Oct 29, 2017
Man, at my company everyone involved would be fired immediately pending HR investigation. There would be HR emails flying around warning people not to do that immediately afterwards.

I can't understand how that shit happens without repercussions. Then again, I work for a large corp that does a lot of government work so any sort of news like this would be like poison when you start talking future contracts. This is vs a small company (QD, not Sony) where issues stem from the owner on down.
You cannot fire people in most of Europe just cause. Certainly not pending an investigation, only as a result. Outside of actual criminal behavior or gross negligence, you generally need proof of sustained misconduct with intermediate development talks. Labor laws are pretty strong here. That's why the real issue is more the long bouts of overwork.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
An embarrassment, certainly as it stands. Though I feel we need a little more information before reacting so drastically.

Almost equally embarrassing are the users taking it as fuel for their console wars. Grow up.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Quite stupid of the exec at Sony to go ahead with a blacklisting, but not really surprised. Major corporations are stupidly over-rational with their decision-making which completely blinds them from the actual consequences of their actions. Anyway, let's see if this shitstorm does something to Cage, he strikes me as a total asshole in every sense despite me liking Heavy Rain and looking forward to Detroit.

Grist to the mill, member-with-Nintendo-avatar.
I like my Avatar ;) And Sony has still backlisted a journalist because he did his job and gave a statement with this that Sony does welcome harassment in companys. Trust me, my Avatar is Sony's and your's smallest problem now!

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Sony certainly doesn't have to help a journalist do more damage to one of their biggest games of the year.

He'll live.

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017

I'm legit laughing my ass off.

The youtube guy did a pitiful and embarrassing 180 turn.

vereor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but higher-ups could lift the blacklisting once they hear about it. I don't think this is a huge issue so long as someone does so, unless it's actually official policy for Sony to blacklist people for these types of things.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this doesn't reflect well on Sony in any case but that one poster being all "hurr durr, arrogant Sony" was just silly, as if their position in the console market has anything to do with this.
No, their position in the console market has nothing to do with this episode, they are just a shitty company no matter if they are losing money or not.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Sony:

planet_of_the_apes_three_monkeys.jpg

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Given how closely Sony have worked with QD, I'm shocked they did not know about these stories.

Or they did, and chose not to act

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that people at Sony knew quite yet. It does make me wonder if independent studios like DQ have their own HR departments for events like this or if it is up to the publisher to provide HR assistance. I imagine the size of the studio matter and smaller studios have a lower chance to have a HR team? QD is rather large though, so I'm guessing they handle HR matters internally. Unfortunately we don't know enough to know who knows what.

I decided to do a bit of research. This is what I am speculating, ordered by timeline:

First, the news broke out about toxic environments at Quantic Dreams on Eurogamer.

Then, Quantum Dreams put out their statement:

Then Sony has to take action, because they have:
  • Been alleged there is something wrong with the workplace at the offices of where the developer in question is being reported.
  • The developer put forth an official statement, explaining the accusation is false.
  • Sony has not been notified of any proofs or evidences to speak otherwise that the allegations were actually true, within 24 hours.
With these 3 conditions being met, they notified the reporter is no longer welcomed, due to the disclosure of false information. This is reflected upon by the tweet from the reporter about being on the blacklist.

So..., unless there is evidence to prove whatever information the reporter put out is true, that reporter will be on the blacklist, for the foreseeable future. It may be removed after a possible lawsuit for defamation of the company, or something, I don't know.

All of these are speculations from a mere 10 minute research.

This doesn't make any sense. How do you prove what was said or an inappropriate gesture? This is why many people don't escalate incidents because they are usually very hard to prove. If there is a trend of reports though, even with a small handful of people, there is usually some truth to the situation.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Sony used Streisand effect.

It hurt itself in its confusion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's got to be some explanation other than the obvious, something that the reporter did or didn't do that pissed off Sony.

The reason I say that is because surely Sony can't be so stupid as to think doing something like this is acceptable, and won't result in a massive backlash. I'm utterly shocked that anyone could try to silence this, that there must surely be another explanation. Surely?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Things like this are why some folks don't take gaming journalism seriously. Because the companies behind the games don't. They just want free advertising, blurbs for their GOTY editions, and fluff pieces. Do some real investigative reporting and they blacklist you?

Whatever, fuck them. All of this just makes it easier to ignore what's sure to be a shitty game with bad, tone deaf storytelling.

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
Not to sound like a broken record but how would he know he's blacklisted....

HE KNOW.
A journalist from a serious newspaper told us he is blacklisted, why do you need more ?
An email from Sony "Hi Will, sorry to bother you but you have been blacklisted by Sony Corporation. See you soon, xoxo" ?

Please less focus of the how and more an the why...

ps: Sorry but i m tired with this question.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if true, that's certainly not a good look from Sony.

I suppose they'll know they'll get away with it, it's not like anyone's going to hold their feet to the fire about it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony: #4thegamers #Fthereporters

i like sony out of all the big three but this is simply unacceptable. their response should have been to review the company policies of Quantic Dream and take David Cage to task over 9-midnight 15 hour days. not go after the reporters like richard fucking nixon. just watched the post last night which literally ends with a nixon tape banning WaPo reporters from the white house.

fuck this industry.

WarrenD

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony wouldn't comment anything more than they already said. An investigation was opened by the public prosecutors office. No company worth a damn would say anything while that is happening.

As for the black listing, his source told him. That's all we know. Perhaps the source said they're not going to talk to him meaning about this specific situation. Perhaps he has been blacklisted. For a 2 day old story it seems a lot of knowledge is missing and we don't know the actual details.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony certainly doesn't have to help a journalist do more damage to one of their biggest games of the year.

He'll live.

Instead, Sony can inflict massive damage to their brand by showing that they don't want toxic working conditions of their contractors exposed. Real brain genius stuff there and morally and ethically very good.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony wouldn't comment anything more than they already said. An investigation was opened by the public prosecutors office. No company worth a damn would say anything while that is happening.

As for the black listing, his source told him. That's all we know. Perhaps the source said they're not going to talk to him meaning about this specific situation. Perhaps he has been blacklisted. For a 2 day old story it seems a lot of knowledge is missing and we don't know the actual details.

Good points.