• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, if true, that's certainly not a good look from Sony.

I suppose they'll know they'll get away with it, it's not like anyone's going to hold their feet to the fire about it.
I could see this snowballing into a mainstream media story if Sony continues to bungle their response. Especially in the current #metoo climate - a huge tech/entertainment player blacklisting journalists to protect sexual harassers - that plays in way more than just the gaming trades.

Then again, they brushed off the Naughty Dog allogations pretty cleanly.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Black listed usually means they will not get free stuff from the company anymore .

My question is what is his proof that he got black listed . U won't know u r black listed right away .

To be fair and clear, blacklisting is less about the 'free stuff' and more about access. When you get properly full-on blacklisted companies act like you're dead to them - they won't answer emails, they won't send you press releases, they won't clarify questions you have, and of course they won't entertain you with invitations to events for review or preview access. The other stuff is actually way worse, though - an awful lot of assistance can be had when trying to report by simply talking to PR.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Why would Sony do this? It's insane.

"Quantic Dream are a development partner, they are not part of SIE worldwide studios. We cannot comment on working conditions within studios we don't operate".

That's all they need to say. It's nothing to do with them anyway.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Don't beat around the bush, say what you mean breh
I don't know what was unclear about my post. I didn't believe him when I posted what I posted. Now I'm more inclined to believe him, as others have posted reasons as to how he would know, and he has even clarified since my post.

But hey, good job calling me out, I guess.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 days): attacking and belittling a journalist, peddling conspiracy theories, history of inflammatory posts
Was the proof he was blacklisted posted already
He's got

1sibxp.jpg

Instead, Sony can inflict massive damage to their brand by showing that they don't want toxic working conditions of their contractors exposed. Real brain genius stuff there and morally and ethically very good.
Apparently he was blacklisted once before for a review, maybe he has grudge against QD/Sony.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
There's got to be some explanation other than the obvious, something that the reporter did or didn't do that pissed off Sony.

The reason I say that is because surely Sony can't be so stupid as to think doing something like this is acceptable, and won't result in a massive backlash. I'm utterly shocked that anyone could try to silence this, that there must surely be another explanation. Surely?
I don't think anyone is trying to silence this , QD has already published a written statement , and there is already an legal action in place. There is no need , no reason to try to make it like it doesn't exist ..when it already exist. Every party involved has already acknowledged that this is a "thing" so ...

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Sony wouldn't comment anything more than they already said. An investigation was opened by the public prosecutors office. No company worth a damn would say anything while that is happening.

As for the black listing, his source told him. That's all we know. Perhaps the source said they're not going to talk to him meaning about this specific situation. Perhaps he has been blacklisted. For a 2 day old story it seems a lot of knowledge is missing and we don't know the actual details.
Well one look at this thread & it seems a lot of people know all the details

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Not to sound like a broken record but how would he know he's blacklisted....

If you get blacklisted, you know. You know either because the company straight up tells you when you keep asking them questions (because the journalists have obviously been in contact with them prior to publishing the story), or you know because someone working at the company tells you in private. I'm legit confused at the fact so many people here would first think that a journalist would straight-up lie with no benefit to himself about this instead of thinking "Hey, I haven't worked in journalism or PR, there is probably something to this that I just don't know, maybe I shouldn't question this immediately based on my own ignorance". Not saying this was the case with you, but the weird focus on that part of the story is honestly confusing as hell to me.

EDIT:

Like this:
Yeah...he gives absolutely no proof that he was blacklisted. I wouldn't be surprised if he was, but I'd take this with a grain of salt unless we get actual evidence

Apparently he was blacklisted once before for a review, maybe he has grudge against QD/Sony.

Like...jesus christ, people. Do you have absolutely no concept of what journalism is?

Last edited:

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, a highly-trafficked online industry-focused English language site has a pretty big reach too. I'd warrant there are more potential buyers of Detroit who read Kotaku than read Le Monde.

Of course, it's fundamental to get more diffusion. But I have the sensation that some people only will believe this story if Kotaku writes an article.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Instead, Sony can inflict massive damage to their brand by showing that they don't want toxic working conditions of their contractors exposed. Real brain genius stuff there and morally and ethically very good.
You think so?
What happened with the naughty dogs thing? Did anyone bother to even get updated much less keep following it?
The truth is no one cares. Not us and certainly not sony. Whatever happens will be above the paygrade of an internet poster and will be swept aside by both the parties regardless of who's to blame. Nobody ever actually comes to back to these stories unless theres fresh controversy involved

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that people at Sony knew quite yet. It does make me wonder if independent studios like DQ have their own HR departments for events like this or if it is up to the publisher to provide HR assistance. I imagine the size of the studio matter and smaller studios have a lower chance to have a HR team? QD is rather large though, so I'm guessing they handle HR matters internally. Unfortunately we don't know enough to know who knows what.

This doesn't make any sense. How do you prove what was said or an inappropriate gesture? This is why many people don't escalate incidents because they are usually very hard to prove. If there is a trend of reports though, even with a small handful of people, there is usually some truth to the situation.

This is why I said everything I wrote is speculation, because the research I did were all speculative with opinions from other users. There really isn't any public information about the contracts and the specifics of Sony and how they deal with inappropriate reportings from reporters.

Unless we actually get word from blacklisted reporters who they haven't signed any NDAs.

Oct 26, 2017
You think so?
What happened with the naughty dogs thing? Did anyone bother to even get updated much less keep following it?
The truth is no one cares. Not us and certainly not sony. Whatever happens will be above the paygrade of an internet poster and will be swept aside by both the parties regardless of who's to blame. Nobody ever actually comes to back to these stories unless theres fresh controversy involved

The ND thing was one guy on Twitter whose claims were hard to verify.

This is a major news publications interviewing 30 people.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
This sound fishy, how does he know he has been blacklisted?

There are definitely ways to find out. When I was blacklisted before by a publisher (not Sony, for the record) I was never 'officially' told, but somebody who I got on well with who worked at that company called me up and gave me a heads up. Sure enough, they didn't speak to me for 4-5 months, and then suddenly, out of nowhere, I started getting press releases from them again and they started answering my emails. Often times you can know, because the flow of information from PR to media is so constant where if somebody always chattering at you and always trying to get you to cover things suddenly falls completely silent it becomes clear something is up. Sometimes people just get flat out told, too, but that's much rarer.

Blacklisting is way more common than people realize, I think. It happens quite a lot and it happens for a lot less than a report as incendiary as this.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I could see this snowballing into a mainstream media story if Sony continues to bungle their response. Especially in the current #metoo climate - a huge tech/entertainment player blacklisting journalists to protect sexual harassers - that plays in way more than just the gaming trades.

Then again, they brushed off the Naughty Dog allogations pretty cleanly.

Weren't the Naughty Dog allegations proven to be false/exaggerated and were forgotten by a majority of the gaming community?

However I might be wrong about that. It's just what I remember from the old forums

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...he gives absolutely no proof that he was blacklisted. I wouldn't be surprised if he was, but I'd take this with a grain of salt unless we get actual evidence

ITT : people trying their very best to defend their favourite giant company for absolutely no damn reason. He's a pro journalist, what the fuck would he gain by claiming that he's been blacklisted ? We're not talking about your average youtuber or rando twitter, but a serious, professionnal journalist who's been reporting on a huge and condaming story.

Weren't the Naughty Dog allegations proven to be false/exaggerated and were forgotten by a majority of the gaming community?

No.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why would anyone be in the slightest bit surprised at Sony's response? They don't care. They're simply fire fighting. Multinationals ultimately will say the right things and try and do them, but at their core, when stuff like this happens, its batten down the hatches and bury your head in the sand time and hope it gets better. Genuinely seems to be some people who have some very weird ideas about what Sony are and aren't. They're a multinational along with every single other multinational. Japanese too, which probably makes them quite conservative in approach.

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017

What do you want ? A message from Kaz or the head of Sony France ? This will never happen and you know it. Welcome to the real world of big corporation.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This sound fishy, how does he know he has been blacklisted?
shadow of the colossus releases in a few weeks

this should be the time where, if you cover games for a publication, you start reaching out to the publisher about when you can expect to get a review copy, so you can plan your work

i'd imagine his e-mails are met with passive-aggressive silence

Deleted member 23489

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are definitely ways to find out. When I was blacklisted before by a publisher (not Sony, for the record) I was never 'officially' told, but somebody who I got on well with who worked at that company called me up and gave me a heads up. Sometimes people just get flat out told, too, but that's much rarer.

Blacklisting is way more common than people realize, I think. It happens quite a lot and it happens for a lot less than a report as incendiary as this.

This is fair enough, and it may very well be the case. However, I question the journalist's judgement in sharing this information now. It seems like a lose lose situation for him. Regardless if this is true or not, he admitted that this information is basically hearsay. Sony could easily deny these allegations since he was not blocked any access from anything.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is trying to silence this , QD has already published a written statement , and there is already an legal action in place. There is no need , no reason to try to make it like it doesn't exist ..when it already exist. Every party involved has already acknowledged that this is a "thing" so ...
Okay, I guess what I'm trying to say is, this seems like they are punishing this kind of article being written. So yes they're not silencing this, but they would appear to be trying to silence articles like this. Otherwise why would they be punishing Lea Monde? Again, that's a genuine question.

Nov 6, 2017
To me logically, if the accusations were true and proved Sony would suffer from this so why would they risk it? Nothing came out of the ND incident if I recall correctly and nothing will come out of this either because Sony probably knows that its either not true or they dont care about their image which the latter seems quite ridiculous to me even if they are a huge corporation that can take the hit. Plus this whole blacklist story seem fishy as it is and many users pointed it out.

OhNo

Dec 5, 2017
Between this and the MSM portrayal of the Detroit: Become Human PGW trailer, QD are having a rough ride building hype for their game, that's for sure.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be a story for like two days and per usual. The gaming industry will move on.

The danger for Sony is that this has potential to explode beyond gaming industry circles. With all the #metoo scandals over the last few months, no major corporation has actively punished a whistleblower until now. That makes this story new and worth highlighting for a publication. If that narrative gets put in a NY Times story or somewhere similarly respected and mainstream, it's a PR disaster at least as big as the PSN leak, probably bigger.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What do you want ? A message from Kaz or the head of Sony France ? This will never happen and you know it. Welcome to the real world of big corporation.

On another level after today I think we can say fanboys are

When Gamekult was first blacklisted, they at least gave some proof of how Sony tried to blacklist them. In that situation, I believed them. However, with him stating nothing but "I was blacklisted," I can't really believe him now

Hindle

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You think so?

Wider investigations take time.

Between the ND scandal, and now this, you'r looking at a domino effect

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The ND thing was one guy on Twitter whose claims were hard to verify.

This is a major news publications interviewing 30 people.

This thread is about sony targeting one guy while no solid evidence (of blacklisting) has been presented from either sides.
Neither the publication nor sony have made an official statement on this.
Yet responses here are more or less identical to what they were all those months ago with all the boycott sony, sell ur ps4s and #4the players.
And id argue that the allegations back then were more serious than they are now. Blacklisting to defend a 2nd party studio vs not doing anything about sexual harassment at their wholly owned studio.

Just for clarity's sake, im not arguing about qd's work ethics here. Thats a different issue entirely. This is about this thread.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Companies dont send you a card saying "you just got blacklisted, booya!", you know. In fact, blacklisting is the exact opposite of warning you of anything.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just got around to reading the article, I assumed it was about one of the controversial scenes in the game. This is much more serious.

I'm sure this journalist knows his job better than you do

By not showing any proof he was blacklisted in an incredibly vague tweet? Hope his journalistic standards are above his level of tweets.

Last edited:

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Man they are some crazy stories on french twitter right now. Apparently Quantic Dreams knew about the article ahead of time and contacted some influencers (including a big youtuber called Siphano) to tell them that it was bullshit and they needed help. The day the article came out, sure enough Siphano said the whole article was bullshit and was just to get revenge on QD somehow. When finally the plea for help to the influencers was leaked Siphano got a lot of shit and now he went from "it bullshit" to "we don't know, let's wait". He's being ridiculed right now.

https://twitter.com/cafegaming/status/952854813053718528
https://twitter.com/cafegaming/status/952855367398117376
https://twitter.com/Siphano/status/952851721667121152

If a French member wants to decypher all this and make sense of it that'd be interesting.

What a mess.
I wish I could understand all this better. I regret not learning French when I had the chance.