• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I know (wrongly) what role contributes to what aspect in say movies.
What does Lead Producer does in making games than financing. Isn't this was producer does.

Not poking holes here, genuinely asking.
They basically coordinate the studio, the day-to-day running of it, making sure all noses are pointing in the same direction. They're the ones who know what every department is working on at all times.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
His time at SWTOR being lead only lead to garbage...........wasn't any different here. Dude has not made any good decisions when running the show. While ruining might be taking it too far, he hasn't made any real good decisions as being a lead
His time as lead producer had the two most successful expansions by far in SWTOR- resources got diverted to MEA and Anthem but that doesn't mean SWTOR wasn't doing well.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
His time at SWTOR being lead only lead to garbage...........wasn't any different here. Dude has not made any good decisions when running the show. While ruining might be taking it too far, he hasn't made any real good decisions as being a lead
thats the guy a lot of SWTOR players disliked ? and they were all happy when he left?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be one of the biggest, most expensive flops in the history of video games, no?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Anthen is the Fail of this gen, there is no other game that comes close to this level of failure imo

I think it's one of the biggest gaming failures of all time and when you factor in the tales of abuse and the the overall story by Schreier on "Bioware Magic" there is no question it is at least biggest of this gen.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Irving: "I believe Anthem has a bright future"

Also Irving:
super-metroid-final-escape.gif

(I mean, technically he wasn't wrong)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Such a shame. I really did enjoy Anthem, issues and everything. With Ben leaving, the games fate is pretty much sealed. Damn.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Given his history and his past interactions with the community, I don't think he's going to be missed.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Most people seem to be taking this as a good thing. I'm not familiar with his other work so I dunno if it's misplaced or what..

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
His time as lead producer had the two most successful expansions by far in SWTOR- resources got diverted to MEA and Anthem but that doesn't mean SWTOR wasn't doing well.

ah yes, the time we got no ops, barely anything on the PvP front, the absolutely shit fest known as the The Galactic Command patch..........which functionally killed the F2P version of the game.

Ben "RNG is exciting" Irving for almost all of 4.0 and 5.0 we fucking hated his decisions.

Right when keith took over, all of a sudden we had clarity, road maps, balance tunings actually started getting done..........it was amazing how much quicker shit got solved without Ben

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
EA- Anthem is dead and Bioware needs a winner. Hmm....I know, yo Bioware, you lot are making the next Medal of Honor game. It'll be a massive hit.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that he landed his dream job and it appears it possibly didn't live up to those dreams. Hopefully he's happier in his next job.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
What are the odds this is the first step in EA dumping more cash into Anthem in a bid to rebuild their live service? Also isn't he the 2nd lead producer this game has had so far?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
ah yes, the time we got no ops, barely anything on the PvP front, the absolutely shit fest known as the The Galactic Command patch..........which functionally killed the F2P version of the game.

Ben "RNG is exciting" Irving for almost all of 4.0 and 5.0 we fucking hated his decisions.

Right when keith took over, all of a sudden we had clarity, road maps, balance tunings actually started getting done..........it was amazing how much quicker shit got solved without Ben
"we"? I play SWTOR and I'm not part of your "we". I don't play OPs and mess about in PvP,Most MMO players don't touch Ops or PVP. It may not have suited you but during Ben Irvings reign as producer we got large amounts of story and there was a time it was giving something once a month. Now I don't really log in that much, kinda hopeful for the new expansion, but it doesn't suit me as much. I loved the last two expansions which were heavily story focused as that was the reson I got into SWTOR in the first place. Also KOTFE made changes to the game that made it so much better to play through even the base game. And given the numbers for those two expansions, I wasn't the only one. May not have suited you but it seemed to suit plenty of other people.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a big fan of this guy. He was doing weekly streams leading up to launch. He was engaged with the community leading up to launch. He promised the world when it came to post launch support. People bought the game despite the poor beta because of his promises. And then he fucked us. Went AWOL for weeks. Refused to answer questions on stream. refused to go back to reddit. refused to listen to the same community that took a chance on his game when everyone on era, youtube and well the internet was busy shitting on the game.

To me, if you fuck over your consumer base, the people who paid for your game, its unforgivable. he was the lead producer on the game and the buck stops with him. not only did he go AWOL, he made sure no one else was allowed to talk. The Community Manager couldnt talk. the devs couldnt talk. it was bizarre. All people wanted was a legendary drop rate increase and he along with his company deserted their own playerbase. the only ones who didnt spread toxic hate all over the internet for a game that actually was pretty damn fun to play when it wasnt bogged down by issues.

Glad hes gone. Scared for whoever picks him up. we dont need more anti-consumer producers making games.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's probably going to Retro Studios. Retro's been doing a lot of hiring and Anthem's Senior UI joined Retro late last year.
I'd rather not have this being a thing. This guy seems notorious for not being able to accept that he made bad decisions and in general seems to be a dick when interacting with the community.

On the other hand I guess then Retro would be his dream job because nobody there interacts with the community at all lol.

SloMoBackSlap

Feb 15, 2018
guys, I'm worried about Dragon Age 4

I'm less worried than I was, say, six months ago. There have been reports of improvements in how Bioware develops their games since Anthem launched, like implementing a post-production period before launching the game. Mark Darrah, and many other devs who were originally working on the next DA, that were pretty much instrumental in getting Anthem anywhere close to their farce of a reveal trailer at E3 2017, are all working on DA4.

I'm not simply trying to look at it glass half full, losing former DA lead writer David Gaider and creative director Mike Laidlaw makes it hard for me to see this game matching the previous ones but we'll see.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Man after watching this I can't help but think EA made a mistake with Greg Miller as their host. He did what he could, but honestly he turned a shitty lineup into a cringeworthy presentation.

Wasn't he a last minute replacement as the original host got ill just before? Thought he did a good job under the circumstances.

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
What are the odds this is the first step in EA dumping more cash into Anthem in a bid to rebuild their live service? Also isn't he the 2nd lead producer this game has had so far?
I don't think so. Unless you'r thinking of Mark Darah who seemingly took over the Producing role of anthem to get it out of door before goigng back to work on Dragaon Age.

Yeeeesh, probably took whatever morale Bioware had left with him...
Might be the opposite given how frustrated some of the dev seemed to be with Bioware management (in Schreier piece)