• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Man after watching this I can't help but think EA made a mistake with Greg Miller as their host. He did what he could, but honestly he turned a shitty lineup into a cringeworthy presentation.

EA literally had no announcements for E3, their entire presentation consisted of overview of the upcoming Apex/Battlefield patches, Star Wars demo, Sports re-releases and Anthem no-information interview. Greg Miller managed to somehow generate a little bit of energy over the empty conference.

Deleted member 4541

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, fucking Anthem. What an embarrassment. Remember when this game was hyped beyond oblivion & set to kill ant and all other shooter/looter games? That went well.

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
TBH I had a lot of fun in this game, eventually I just didn't have motivation to go back and cancelled my origin access subscription. It's sad.

Feb 15, 2019
Maybe that first week or two, then not. Not to mention they likely invested for long term support since it was a GaaS. It died within a month.

Like a month or so ago, Anthem was still the 4th best selling game of the year in the USA. And it also held/holds the title of best selling new IP over there beating out Days Gone which took that title in the UK and is supposedly selling pretty well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather not have this being a thing. This guy seems notorious for not being able to accept that he made bad decisions and in general seems to be a dick when interacting with the community.

On the other hand I guess then Retro would be his dream job because nobody there interacts with the community at all lol.
Interesting lol

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we supposed to care about Paul Stone's opinion?
Is Paul someone we should know?
No idea, but it illustrates the Anthem community's, uh, "complicated" feelings for Irving.

Apparently, he's largely credited with ruining SWTOR. A post on reddit said he's the reason SWTOR removed deterministic loot drops and replaced it with pure RNG? I read through this a while back: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...curious_as_to_why_the_swtor_community_doesnt/

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
His time at SWTOR being lead only lead to garbage...........wasn't any different here. Dude has not made any good decisions when running the show. While ruining might be taking it too far, he hasn't made any real good decisions as being a lead

Can you point to a single thing you can unambiguously trace to this guy and prove without reasonable doubt that it was all and exclusively his fault or responsibility?

If not, you're just being fucking toxic.

There are far more factors involved in making games than the decisions of any one individual developer. Placing the entire responsibility of an entire game on one guy is not only unfair, it's ignorant and pathetic.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
isn't ben irving the dude who told us that we have no idea how luck works? Basically the one guy that said the fans were wrong in that early Dev stream?

The Luck system was a rancid mixture of terrible design AND being broken. A lot of players hypothesized that Luck "reset" to 0 if you had too much extra Luck (over 100) based off stats of Legendary/MW drops.

The whole Luck debacle was a microcosm if everything wrong with Anthem as a whole, from design, execution, development leadership shifting blame, and development leadership outright not understanding the mechanics of their own system. If anyone learns anything about Anthem, just learn about how Luck was abhorrently fucked and apply that to the rest of Anthem, and you understand why it turned out the way it did.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Unless you'r thinking of Mark Darah who seemingly took over the Producing role of anthem to get it out of door before goigng back to work on Dragaon Age.

Might be the opposite given how frustrated some of the dev seemed to be with Bioware management (in Schreier piece)

Ah, maybe.

Deleted member 14568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eM4R7Jp.gif

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Still really bums me out that Anthem ended up the way it did. So much potential....

Good luck to him!

It was well worth my 1 month sub to EA whatever it's called.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Probably varies a bit from company to company, but at a AAA production, mostly planning the human resources, i.e. "We have 18 months x 200 people, what can we do in that time?". So it's not exactly a financial job, but still economical in some senses. Top level producers (like a lead producer) probably have some influence in the amount of money allocated to various departments.
Since words don't mean anything in the video game industry, "producer" actually means something different at EA than it does at other companies. The equivalent of a producer at most other companies is called a "development director" at EA. Producers take on more creative and leadership roles.

Jun 17, 2018
Is this game now considered more of a disaster than FO76 now? I'm sure I've read that Bethesda have at least tried to make some attempts at fixing it with some (if little) success.

This is a massive problem for EA and Bioware and would love to see some extensive developer interviews and decision making. For sure would be more interesting than the game itself.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
He is basically abandoning ship. I kinda want to be snarky, but I won't on Era.

Good luck to the guy. Honestly no one should be so stressed out at your job that you end up burned out. But honestly it is their own fault.

What about the Austin team though? Feels like letting your colleagues hanging even more...

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Is he the guy at EA play that had to talk about anthem with the people behind him? I also hope for the best :)

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Since words don't mean anything in the video game industry, "producer" actually means something different at EA than it does at other companies. The equivalent of a producer at most other companies is called a "development director" at EA. Producers take on more creative and leadership roles.
Ah! That explains why, when we hired a producer from EA, they expected to be making design decisions, and had very little interest in the things he was actually hired for.

Everywhere I've worked, production and design/direction have been distinct roles. Production is not creative, they're facilitators, the supposedly sane adults in the room full of whiny tantrum throwing creatives.

(I <3 my producers, so many producers, sigh)

Oct 29, 2017
It's like with any other upper management from any big company. These people just know other people. It's like a giant circlejerk of incompetent assholes funneling bonuses and new jobs to one another.

But why don't shareholders flip their shit with this type of stuff? You would think this would be one of the benefits of being an openly traded company (although, he hasnt announced where he's going yet so I suppose its not guaranteed that hes going to a corp.)

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
But it's true. The game kinda didn't deserve that awesome breakdown of skills and powers that you did. Real talent, being honest.
Well all those graphics and the videos I made showing off things (along with the rest of my portfolio) ended up netting me a job in the games industry (which I started in April). I did a graphic recently for another game I'm excited for Remnant and am hoping beyond all hope that game doesn't go the way of Anthem.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't he only been on Anthem since launch when the game was moved to Austin? Doesn't bode well for SWTOR either.

He's been off The Old Republic for years (after severely damaging the product for many people) and yet we're a month away from another new expansion. Last few times I've been on the population's been pretty good, and new players still appear to be signing up.

Sure the game isn't in a thriving state like FFXIV, but it's probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well all those graphics and the videos I made showing off things (along with the rest of my portfolio) ended up netting me a job in the games industry (which I started in April). I did a graphic recently for another game I'm excited for Remnant and am hoping beyond all hope that game doesn't go the way of Anthem.

Thats amazing! Really deserved, to be honest. It was kinda telling at the time that you knew more about the game mechanics than the devs seemed to. Congrats on the job, and I see your skills are as sharp as ever.

Nov 23, 2017
Classic Era shits on game they dont play or know anything about. Everyone who actually plays it is glad he is being replaced, and the gmae has just had its best patch and update in its life cycle.