• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
ouch, not a great time to leave a game. The still had a chance of doing something like no man sky and 76. this is not looking good

EDIT: seems his exit is appreciated by the fan base. hopefully, the game pushes on

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The game has been dead for a long time, at this point they should just bury it so the few people still playing it can grieve and move on. It's without a doubt the biggest waste of money I've spent in a long time, and it should have been an easy winner, how do you mess up Iron Man?

Oct 29, 2017
iMb9NoR.png

I mean goddam

They sound like resetera users

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This dude was from the Austin studio correct? He probably didn't have much to do with the developement of the Anthem base game.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I really didn't like the direction SWTOR went when he was one of the key people who took over the direction for that game. I never played Anthem so can't comment on his work with that.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
No idea, but it illustrates the Anthem community's, uh, "complicated" feelings for Irving.

Apparently, he's largely credited with ruining SWTOR. A post on reddit said he's the reason SWTOR removed deterministic loot drops and replaced it with pure RNG? I read through this a while back: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheG...curious_as_to_why_the_swtor_community_doesnt/

Holy shit, He was responsible for Command Crates? That shit is literally the worst MMO endgame progression/loot system I've ever seen and I've been playing these games for 20 years.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Anthem may not be a great game nor have great player retention, but it did sell very well.

It's still the #4 best-selling title of the year, so far.

It did, however, fail to meet sales expectations, and the amount of money needed to support the title is likely substantial, but Anthem sold far better than many superior games released this year have.

That's looking at it strictly from a 2019 point of view though. It's clear EA intended this franchise to be a multi year machine like Destiny. They had clearly allocated alot of resources to it, either spent or unspent.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's looking at it strictly from a 2019 point of view though. It's clear EA intended this franchise to be a multi year machine like Destiny. They had clearly allocated alot of resources to it, either spent or unspent.
Of course, but this is more of a "Kevin Costner's Waterworld" situation.

No, people don't like it. Many consider it an abject failure. It has utterly failed to have any impact as a franchise with a future.

... But it DID make money and recoup its investment, shockingly enough. Not enough to sustain it much beyond the black, which is clearly not what EA was hoping for. It was supposed to be their big live-service Destiny-style mega-franchise and it's not going to be doing those numbers for them anytime soon.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The saddest thing is that probably not even the developers want to keep working on Anthem. It never had any vision, never anything worth fighting for. It doesn't even have a "Thing that we wanted to do but couldn't", the whole game was created just so they could ship it. Fuck, even the games NAME was created at the last second just because they couldn't secure the rights to a better one. It has no soul.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What does Lead Producer does in making games than financing. Isn't this was producer does.
Producers delegate work, create the schedules and champion the director's wishes. As far as the live team in Austin goes, Ben was the primary guy but that said BioWare have had a Lot of internal criticism regarding the over-reliance on middle management (producers among others) and given the launch state of the game I wouldn't look at Ben and think that he was the best fit for such a Project, but A producer is still better than No producer. He pointed to their community managers saying "It's in good hands"... Excuse me, WHAT? A community manager isn't hands on with the production of the game, they're just there as a messenger between developer and fans, consumers and community.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Why? Ben Irving has never worked on Dragon Age? Only SWTOR and Anthem
The DA team has a solid core staff of veterans who were on respectively DA2 and DAI. and Mark Darrah as executive producer. It's in great hands. Ben was also not well liked by the SWTOR fans which is the project he managed before Anthem. He wasn't that much of a force at BioWare to be honest, certainly not for Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Considering some of the delusional things he's said about Anthem it might be for the best is someone else takes over, but I doubt anyone is taking over since the game is pretty dead.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And to think Bioware was once my favorite western RPG creator. Hope they can bounce back and deliver aquality a Dragon Age game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Either EA stupidly banked on it blindly believing in "BioWare's new IP" or BioWare made a lot of unrealistic promises years ago and the marketing deal was locked. Whatever it was, EA banked HARD on the marketing and publicity for the E3s and launches of Anthem, and meanwhile BioWare's leadership was falling apart and their project management was screwing up. I'm sure they've had angry phonecalls from EA since release.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Definitely telling that he decided to leave now, and I honestly believe the studio will be shuttered before we know it.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
EA paid 800 million just so they can fuck up Bioware. Bioware need their next project to be AMAZING to salvage whatever there's left of fan's admiration.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Its a shame how they have handled this game man. Hopefully they put the engine to good use and donate it to someone who wants to make an iron man game.
GAAS killing games one game at a time..smh

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He works out of Edmonton - they've been working on moving to a new building before Anthem came out, and it's larger
Unfortunately, the epidemic of anxiety and depression came from this move and some employees said it was a cheaper setup allowing you to cram more employees in on the office space. Judging by good old Glassdoor this seems a common point of contention: Casey's open office initiative and I'm actually speculating that they might be moving back or into a smaller place now. The move should have ended last year, it started in September. They're moving again.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
No offense to the dude but every time he did a livestream for Anthem he seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about. Not to mention he was pretty snarky with fans on the Anthem subreddit when he actually did post on there before launch. Seemed like he was really unwilling to listen to criticism about the game until the shit really hit the fan and then it was too late. Wish him the best of luck with his future endeavors but Bioware isn't missing much with him gone IMO.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
it sold quite a bit though
Yup...you can say it was a failure and a flop...but not even close to the biggest flop, even this gen. It sold really well for the first month or so and is still top 5 NPD for the year in the US.

It's likely that Crackdown 3 is the bigger flop. For all time, we have games like Brink and Battleborn.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
No offense to the dude but every time he did a livestream for Anthem he seemed like he had no idea what he was talking about.
Exactly. That's why I'm not really that beaten up about the news. I saw that EA unplugged thing and even the other developers from Respawn and stuff had sort of a skeptical look at him as he just sat there running his mouth about things he didn't seem to have much of a grasp on. It was like "did this guy even work on the game?" based on how he described their process. People have to remember Anthem was primarily built by the Edmonton team with the Austin team managing its live-service features. A big thing but it was primarily a project led out of the Edmonton studio, which Ben did not work in.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Unfortunately, the epidemic of anxiety and depression came from this move and some employees said it was a cheaper setup allowing you to cram more employees in on the office space. Judging by good old Glassdoor this seems a common point of contention: Casey's open office initiative and I'm actually speculating that they might be moving back or into a smaller place now. The move should have ended last year, it started in September. They're moving again.
So you just making stuff up? Also I looked up Glassdoor, there's been three reviews this year and two of them are from Austin employees, they only moved this year, so how is this a "common point of contention" for the Edmonton office?