• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't been following along so far:
  • Blizzard first announced a new series Diablo comics at Comic-Con featuring Lilith, who is pretty much the only person we haven't fought yet that's sort of a named demon in the lore (yes, yes, I'm aware of the Diablo 2 update, but I mean as a story boss)
  • Then they announced Diablo Switch
  • Then they announced they have multiple new Diablo projects (I think this is D2 HD, Diablo 4, and possibly Diablo mobile) in the works including at least one revealing this year
  • Thanks to alt text on the German Heroes of the Storm twitter, we seem to be getting Mephisto (he was a Diablo 2 demon) for Heroes of the Storm, and there's been rumbling of a big Diablo themed event to go with it
  • As a side note, they have an hour long Diablo presentation at Gamescom as well, so this is probably not the only Diablo thing at Gamescom
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess we're getting the full Diablo 4 unveil at Blizzcon, with maybe something like the remaster here, unless the mobile game is way further along than job postings imply.

6X2rRvG.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/98d56s/new_tease/e4f2pk1/

Edit:

Apparently he's here right now:

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I think this all-but-confirms that "Project Mephisto" is Diablo-related. So you're probably right. But why only on PlayStation?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think this all-but-confirms that "Project Mephisto" is Diablo-related. So you're probably right. But why only on PlayStation?

Yeah. That was wierd. Maybe they have a marketing deal where it wasn't shown off on any other platforms?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, those categories all had multiplatform games, though I'm not entirely convinced that one was Diablo given the opening ceremony has a bunch of Euro game unveils as well, and Project Mephisto is definitely the kind of code name that would fit with a Euro game.

xcx_

Alt-Account.
Aug 16, 2018
Listen, they can do whatever they want as I get a good looking Diablo 4 releasing sometime within the next year or two.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, those categories all had multiplatform games, though I'm not entirely convinced that one was Diablo given the opening ceremony has a bunch of Euro game unveils as well, and Project Mephisto is definitely the kind of code name that would fit with a Euro game.
kinda think this may be a coincidence.
Hmm, maybe. Quite a coincidence then, lol.

Whatever that game is, I wanna see it, since it's apparently one of the best of the show!

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Well Reaper of Souls was announced at Gamescom so they've got history of announcing big Diablo stuff there. But with a WoW expansion releasing this summer they won't have anything like that to announce at Blizzcon so they may save Diablo 4 for then.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
There was a 4chan rumor by a guy who claimed to work at Blizzard.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/427369815/im-a-midlevel-developer-in-blizzard-ama

• Diablo 1 remaster is coming, although he did not say when.
  • next major Diablo game is coming out 2019 and "is going to be nothing like the old Diablos".
  • the next Diablo is not going to be a MMO. While he was still working on the next Diablo project, they played around with multiplayer, but they scrapped it.
  • the new Diablo game is going to be announced at this years Blizzcon.
  • the new Diablo game will play more like The Witcher or God of War.
  • he thinks the new Diablo is going to be fun.
  • in the new Diablo game there there are no classes and you gonna have a fixed protagonist.
  • Blizzard is trying to dominate every major game genre, and with the new Diablo title they are trying to rival Elder Scrolls/Fallout.
  • they are expecting the new Diablo game to "go down well".
  • he said Diablo 3 failed* and that is why they are rebranding the franchise to save it, because they think that people will not buy a Diablo that is the same as before.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Listen, they can do whatever they want as I get a good looking Diablo 4 releasing sometime within the next year or two.
Blizzard is one of those companies that take their time. The best case was Overwatch that was announced back in 2014 to be released in 2016. Diablo 3 and SC 2 though heh.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
yeah same. Wondering what Diablo 4 even looks like. It's been a whole generation.
Well, they are using a PBR renderer this time, so it should be fairly astronomically better.

It was already a giant leap in character model quality just between Diablo 3 and Heroes of the Storm, and that uses much older style rendering techniques.

amc8s5fugep4.png

4lf33.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy a good mindless power fantasy as much as the next guy, but dark fantasy RPG where i could play as a badass monk? Sign me up

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
All of that sounds very interesting and appealing if true.
I mean, you can see that's untrue on their job page: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oodI7fwa

SOFTWARE ENGINEER, GAMEPLAY, DIABLO
  • Experience working with client / server game systems,
  • Experience working on various game systems, including game object management, AI / pathing, gameplay scripting, player abilities, UI, FX, database management, or online networking
  • You should have experience in several of the following areas: combat, AI, multiplayer, user interface, quests, item generation, or other game systems.

Jun 3, 2018
London
This just speculation, but: The German print magazine Gamestar announced last week that they would delay their delivery of this month's issue to subscribers to this week Tuesday or Wednesday (usually, subscribers get the issue on a Saturday and it is in shops the Wednesday after). The reason are two previews of unannounced games that will be a Gamescom. People think that one of them will be Elex 2 (because Piranha Bytes is a big deal in Germany, they have applied for funding, and they have a really good relationship with Gamestar). I could imagine that the other game is something Diablo-related, judging from this thread most likely the D2 remake. D2 was a huge deal for Gamestar back in the day. They launched in 1998 and at least for a while, no other game had more cover stories than D2. They have always been very positive about all things Blizzard.

Again, this is just speculation. But the narrative makes sense to me.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Diablo would transfer well to a larger, open world action RPG type genre. They could keep the same feel of skills, loot and progression etc without it havig to be a top down point and click style game. I wouldn't worry anyway as Path of Exile has me covered in that particular style of game. Would be very up for trying something new and Blizzard games are almost always excellent, no matter what they try.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
super curious what will be announced.

when does the Gamescom coverage officially start? when are the first events set?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
super curious what will be announced.

when does the Gamescom coverage officially start? when are the first events set?
I think these are German times on August 22nd:

Opening Ceremony: 10:30 to 11:30 (1 hour)
Overwatch: 11:30 to 12:00 (30 minutes)
World of Warcraft: 12:00 to 12:45 (45 minutes)
StarCraft: 13:15 to 14:00 (45 minutes)
Heroes of the Storm: 14:30 to 15:30 (1 hour)
Diablo: 15:45 to 16:45 (1 hour)
"Guest Event": 17:00 to 17:30 (30 minutes)

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
TBH, I would prefer the traditional top down visuals for these kind of ARPG that focuses on loot. Like sure, I like Nioh with its fusion of third person action combat and loot, but I think there is a lot of room to grow both technically and visually in 2.5D perspective.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Well, they are using a PBR renderer this time, so it should be fairly astronomically better.

It was already a giant leap in character model quality just between Diablo 3 and Heroes of the Storm, and that uses much older style rendering techniques.

amc8s5fugep4.png

4lf33.jpg

I really like the character model from Heroes of the Storm and if the rumor from 4chan is true, i should be interesting to see a single player made by Blizzard with this kind of art style even if it's unlikely to happen.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diablo Mobile would be great, adding mobile hooks to Diablo would be not so great.