• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

r/CODWarzone - First glimpse at 80's Verdansk

2,464 votes and 869 comments so far on Reddit

Ex2O_sZXMAgY9Wj

Hurray...? I mean it's big overhaul.... kind of? But I don't think this is what people wanted nor does this match up with any previous leaks/datamines (AFAIK)

Though it's most likely legit cause Activision has been DMCA videos and even articles talking about it.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly pretty cool.

I'm sure many people will be disappointed by the fact that it isn't a brand new map. But with how everything is going with all the messed up updates and strange additions to the game I had very little faith in a new map. Not to mention that all the Dirty Bomb maps look like absolute trash, so I wouldn't have want to have seen a map from those sections.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Even though this leaked yesterday, I'm still leaning April Fool's for now. Which honestly, is a telling sign of how poorly they've handled Warzone since the Cold War integration. It's almost impossible to tell if a reskinned Verdansk instead of a new map is a joke or not.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Removed, apparently the screenshot was from the campaign.

Last edited:

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they remove the ability to shoot players during the initial drop. I played the other day after a long respite and was disappointed this was still a thing.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Even though this leaked yesterday, I'm still leaning April Fool's for now. Which honestly, is a telling sign of how poorly they've handled Warzone since the Cold War integration. It's almost impossible to tell if a reskinned Verdansk instead of a new map is a joke or not.

Sadly it's not a joke. The whole leak began when someone working on a live-action promotional video for Warzone leaked the WIP trailer, and then more leaks (the screenshots) showed up after.

www.videogameschronicle.com

New Warzone map: First footage of Call of Duty’s 1980s Verdansk leaks | VGC

The current Verdansk will be replaced by a new Cold War-themed map in April…

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting them to port the Dirty bombs maps instead. Would be a lot more interesting than a reskinned Verdansk. Especially if we're stuck with that "new" map for almost two years lol

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the rumor that they were just going to nuke Verdansk?

Maybe this is just an 80's reskin to to keep things consistent with the ongoing Cold War story.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the rumor that they were just going to nuke Verdansk?

Maybe this is just an 80's reskin to to keep things consistent with the ongoing Cold War story.

The nuke thing is still happening, the ingame stuff that we can see is setting it up. As for how things will narratively transition to the 80's Verdansk is anyone's guess.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I hope they remove the ability to shoot players during the initial drop. I played the other day after a long respite and was disappointed this was still a thing.

Nothing makes me angrier than this. Don't see why you need to spawn with a pistol in the first place.

I've started playing this a lot after dropping off in October, so I'm excited for the change.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The nuke thing is still happening, the ingame stuff that we can see is setting it up. As for how things will narratively transition to the 80's Verdansk is anyone's guess.

I'll believe it when I see it. Feels like it's mostly the community shouting in an echo box. The instant there was a sighting of one of the nukes it was immediately 'THEY ARE GOING TO NUKE VERDANSK AT THE END OF THE SEASON'. And that was, like, in season 3. They might do something with it, but my feeling that all this nuking of Verdansk just a massive rumor gone wild.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping that they'd update to the Cold War Engine and deliver a Next-Gen version of the client... but if it's just overhauled/reskinned Verdansk and still no Next-Gen client I can't see myself hopping back in.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing makes me angrier than this. Don't see why you need to spawn with a pistol in the first place.

I've started playing this a lot after dropping off in October, so I'm excited for the change.

Yeah, I wish they gave you the option to opt out of the minute or so prematch. I almost always alt tab and it's just shoot shoot noise and death and someone on their mic telling me to get rekt. Likewut?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Feels like it's mostly the community shouting in an echo box. The instant there was a sighting of one of the nukes it was immediately 'THEY ARE GOING TO NUKE VERDANSK AT THE END OF THE SEASON'. And that was, like, in season 3. They might do something with it, but my feeling that all this nuking of Verdansk just a massive rumor gone wild.

To be fair, the silo where the nuke is has a computer that is slowly counting up based on the zombie outbreak... and now there's missiles flying over the map.

Not to mention VGC with their own insiders said the nuke thing was happening.

Was hoping that they'd update to the Cold War Engine and deliver a Next-Gen version of the client... but if it's just overhauled/reskinned Verdansk and still no Next-Gen client I can't see myself hopping back in.

While Cold War might look better due to being next-gen. It's engine is far less advanced than the Modern Warfare Engine.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
updating to the CW engine would ruin this game

While Cold War might look better due to being next-gen. It's engine is far less advanced than the Modern Warfare Engine.

They don't necessarily have to use that engine -- I just used that because that is a Next-Gen engine that is currently being used for the same series. I'd just enjoy a client update to the next generation because using the prior generation engine via BC is unremarkable at this point. Same Engine/Same Map Layout makes for very few reasons to visit for me, personally.

Jan 18, 2021
They don't necessarily have to use that engine -- I just used that because that is a Next-Gen engine that is currently being used for the same series. I'd just enjoy a client update to the next generation because using the prior generation engine via BC is unremarkable at this point. Same Engine/Same Map Layout makes for very few reasons to visit for me, personally.

The CW engine is 100% not a next-gen engine.

Jun 17, 2018
I'm happy with this if true. I like the idea of a changing map with familiar locations but some changes affected by the lore.

I also hope this stays on the MW engine. I dont mind CW but the engine is a massive downgrade.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with this if true. I like the idea of a changing map with familiar locations but some changes affected by the lore.

I also hope this stays on the MW engine. I dont mind CW but the engine is a massive downgrade.

There's no way they're changing since MW's engine is THE CoD engine going forth. Cold War only used the BO4 engine due to it's trouble development. Treyarch's next CoD will be changing over to MW's engine too.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
So this was probably supposed to line-up with CW's launch right? I'm sure after all this time players were expecting a more substantial change but COVID must have gotten in the way

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So this was probably supposed to line-up with CW's launch right? I'm sure after all this time players were expecting a more substantial change but COVID must have gotten in the way

If Video Game Chronicles is to believed, yes, the map change was supposed to happen back at CW's launch but COVID related delays pushed it way back.

It is, pretty sure it's a 1-on-1 copy from the playable area from one of the 2 endings.
Edit: the picture linked by Kalentan is an actual screenshot from Black Ops Cold War.

Oh it is? Saw it in the VGC article and it looked like the portion of the map in the trailer. Will remove.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Map looks fine snipers will get their range so people expect a lot from a side mode in COD? It's good to see fans engaged with Warzone and it's a huge addition but it's been thrust into gaming's spot light.

Jinjo

Nov 12, 2017
The game has seriously suffered after the change in management occurred. Updates that break attachments, no transparency on changes, doesn't listen to community, still no anti-cheat. No real new map is another mark in the long line of disappointments.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If they do a visual overhaul and add several new locations, that's decently exciting. Honestly it would be super cool if they had thought about this and actually evolved the area through history to show it as a focus of conflict over a long period of time but I don't think that was considered when initially designing it. Like if they actually put some research into how areas develop historically and were like here's verdansk in the 50s after WWII, here's verdansk as a soviet satellite state, here's verdansk after the fall of the Soviet Union, here's Verdansk now. Just doing some Googling, it's inspired by Donetsk which is a contested area even today. Could actually be interesting without having to move to a different location.

Map looks fine snipers will get their range so people expect a lot from a side mode in COD? It's good to see fans engaged with Warzone and it's a huge addition but it's been thrust into gaming's spot light.

Warzone is carrying CoD at the moment. It and Modern Warfare were a huge boost to the series and basically shocked it back to life after it had gotten quite stale over last gen. Cold War is certainly not the flagship product for the series.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who can't stand the cold war aesthetic, this bums me out real bad

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This whole thing is so odd if they go back in time, what then, keep all the modern era weapons, skins, gear? This really doesn't make sense which still makes it seem fake.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
So, what I understand is :
- In game even in a 80's era Verdansk, just a reskinned version, where we see what's going on with nukes being hidden somewhere.
- Then jump to the present to see the nukes detonate.
- Then brand "new" map replaces Verdansk, composed of CW maps ducktapped together.