• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Back to the control scheme of Devil May Cry, nobody has an answer that is actually good.

What's wrong with mine :( ?

L1 - Lock on R1 - Style/Rev/Modifier
L2 - Guard R2 - Dodge

Face button - Range, Melee, Special/Buster , Jump
D-pad button - Devil Trigger (up), Healing star (down), Switch guns (left), Switch melee (right)
L1 - Hold to switch guns with D-pad R1 - Hold to switch swords with D-pad
L2 - Style/Rev/Modifier R2 - Dodge

Face button - Range, Melee, Guard/Buster, Jump
D-pad button - Devil Trigger (up), Healing star (down), Switch target (left and right), Switch guns (While Holding L1 and any 4 buttons), Switch melee (While Holding R1 and any 4 button)

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that control scheme was basura.

Regardless of your opinion on it, the control scheme in DmC made most moves much easier to pull out, making mixing up moves and being creative with combos easier as well. I'm sure that using shoulder buttons as modifiers (of weapons or types of moves) can well lead to a robust moveset that's as easy to use as it's deep to master.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do this setup for DMC3

R1 attack R2 shoot
L1 lock on L2 DT
X jump Circle special
Square cycle melee Triangle cycle ranged

The main reason i did this was because it let me charge ranged attacks and DT for DT burst while attacking. Also this way I was able to get in a good rhythm for jump canceling since i was able to alternate R1 and X with my index finger and thumb.

It's definitely not a setup every one can get used to though

InfiniteBlue

Nov 1, 2017
Never played any of the DMC (or bayonetta) games, they seem way too "video gamey" If this is anything like the new upcoming God Of War (more grounded) I might be interested, but otherwise I can't see myself being hyped for this.
However i have enjoyed all of the God Of War games immensely, and that Dante Inferno was also pretty damn fun.

Uhh, agree to disagree I guess. I love these games for those exact reasons - they revel in the fact that they are video games and not a Hollywood blockbuster. God of War, especially the upcoming one, is a total turnoff for me.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They aren't even as good as DmC but they have very cool animations thanks to their insane budget, also GOW 3 has lots of tedious filler setpieces, not a big fan of Kratos either

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to choose which system of weapon switching you want, between DMC3, DMC4 and d-pad switching. No sense only sticking to one system. It would be fairly simple to implement and balance as well.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of your opinion on it, the control scheme in DmC made most moves much easier to pull out, making mixing up moves and being creative with combos easier as well. I'm sure that using shoulder buttons as modifiers (of weapons or types of moves) can well lead to a robust moveset that's as easy to use as it's deep to master.
That holding nonsense in DmC was trash.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They aren't even as good as DmC but they have very cool animations thanks to their insane budget, also GOW 3 has lots of tedious filler setpieces, not a big fan of Kratos either

Ironically GOW3(IP) was the success Capcom was chasing with the westernisation. Game was 90+ rated with over 5 million sales.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to choose which system of weapon switching you want, between DMC3, DMC4 and d-pad switching. No sense only sticking to one system. It would be fairly simple to implement and balance as well.
I think the best way is to give essentially unlimited controller setup. You can map anything to anywhere you want.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically GOW3(IP) was the success Capcom was chasing with the westernisation. Game was 90+ rated with over 5 million sales.

The first three GOW games are all 90+ on Metacritic and are huge selllers as well. PSP GOW had one title go above 90 on Metacritic, with the second one achieving only 86. GOW games are extremely good and manage to achieve a near-perfect balance of action, puzzles and story, some of the absolute best single-player experiences from the last 15 years. The only title that felt out of place was Ascension, as the series was in need for some overhauling by that point, but everything before that is incredibly compelling. I sorta get why some people who dig DMC throw shade at GOW, but it's a minority opinion really, as GOW games have been extremely well received by both players and critics.
its good at what it tries to do

That's kind of a handwave-y statement considering the quality of the games, but yes, GOW was certainly at the top of the heap when it came to single-player action games.

I also agree that the controls should be highly customizable, so maybe for those who don't like holding buttons can use said buttons as a toggle.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the best way is to give essentially unlimited controller setup. You can map anything to anywhere you want.

That too. Same for style switching, imo. Have a default system for newcomers and casuals, and let the hardcores choose whichever they prefer. It would also be simple to implement. The DMC3 style switcher mod already allows something like that. You can use Dah's suggested toggle system for example.

I also agree that the controls should be highly customizable, so maybe for those who don't like holding buttons can use said buttons as a toggle.

At least lock-on toggle should be an option like in DmC DE. I'd use that as well.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Shower thoughts:

This is actually Vergil's real theme:

I like you.

Speaking of which...it'd be the dream if P* was willing to loan out Masami Ueda back to Itsuno just so that he can compose a few tracks for a DMC title, again. His sound is another of those things that made DMC for me, and it just hasn't been the same without him.

Oct 25, 2017
cebf3954bbf87b79536f750dd1a187a99d8456bb_hq.gif

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I like you.

Speaking of which...it'd be the dream if P* was willing to loan out Masami Ueda back to Itsuno just so that he can compose a few tracks for a DMC title, again. His sound is another of those things that made DMC for me, and it just hasn't been the same without him.
I forgot the composer of Bayonetta also did DMC 1 and Okami, but thats an unlikely expectation he would return, as far as i know most fans prefer the soundtrack of DMC 3 over the other games

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot the composer of Bayonetta also did DMC 1 and Okami, but thats an unlikely expectation he would return, as far as i know most fans prefer the soundtrack of DMC 3 over the other games
I mean, some tracks from 3 I like, basically all the Vergil boss themes, Cerberus, and Devils Never Cry, but I'll freely admit I'm not the biggest fan overall of the lyrics in so many of the songs and battle themes and prefer the more dark electronic tones of DMC1. But a better blend of the two I wouldn't mind.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Any chance we get more details on this update? Why is it "likely" Vergil rather than a straight confirmation?
Probably because things like that can definitely change during development. Like what if you don't play him on launch then we grill sos alive and then later they add Vergil as dlc.

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
I like you.

Goosebumps, they don't make them like these anymore.

I used to check out masami's website in high-school, iirc it was http://weapon.org

Then one day he answered back in ICQ, then he was like "Hey, take this".

Gave me an unreleased DMC piece that I ... lost.

Never heard that piece anywhere else, had no vocals.

Was like a variation of "Seeds of Love".

Yes, here's the website: https://web.archive.org/web/20051109113949/http://weapon.org:80/profile/index.html

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because things like that can definitely change during development. Like what if you don't play him on launch then we grill sos alive and then later they add Vergil as dlc.

I do understand this, but why is it that Vergil is "likely" to be playable? I guess I want to know what makes him "likely" as in, what element of the game leaked that would support the notion that they are probably working on Vergil to be playable rather than any other character.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I do understand this, but why is it that Vergil is "likely" to be playable? I guess I want to know what makes him "likely" as in, what element of the game leaked that would support the notion that they are probably working on Vergil to be playable rather than any other character.
Is that it? Tell us a bit more.
I got many sources telling me that he is in, bar just a couple of people and even they are like "we haven't heard about that but could be true".

As for more details, yeah I've heard about his playstyle. Not sharing that cause I haven't been able to get in touch with more sources about the specifics. And even then, it's sort of a "take with a truck load of salt" stuff so it's better to not share those at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.