• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how unwise it would be to hold off on a sequel to Dragon's Dogma for so long, I have to agree with you. And it's not like the OP's "leak" got any kind of confirmation anyway since it was posted.

...Why would it be unwise? Dragon's Dogma has sold 3.5 million after 5 years and being released four times (OG on 360/PS3; Dark Arisen on 360/PS3; Dark Arisen on Steam; Dark Arisen on Xbone/PS4). That's not much considering it took the largest team in Capcom history at the time to make the game http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-20-dragons-dogma-can-sell-10-million-worldwide-reckons-capcom(For reference, RE 6 had 600 people at the time) and it's not much considering it's an open world game and how much it costs to make an open world game on PS4/Xbone.

There's also the fact that they've made and are maintaining Dragon's Dogma online and they are releasing Monster Hunter World in less than a months and I doubt they'd make two similar open world games (at least in the eyes of the market) at the exact same time (development on World started in mid 2014) while also having an online title in the same franchise.

I'd be really surprised if it was DD 2.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how unwise it would be to hold off on a sequel to Dragon's Dogma for so long, I have to agree with you. And it's not like the OP's "leak" got any kind of confirmation anyway since it was posted.
I can't believe you fell for Jawmuncher's very clear troll bait.

Then again not at all surprised considering someone who thinks Itsuno's new project might actually be DD2 over DMCV. Better accept reality before the eventual disappointment.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...Why would it be unwise? Dragon's Dogma has sold 3.5 million after 5 years and being released four times (OG on 360/PS3; Dark Arisen on 360/PS3; Dark Arisen on Steam; Dark Arisen on Xbone/PS4). That's not much considering it took the largest team in Capcom history at the time to make the game http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-20-dragons-dogma-can-sell-10-million-worldwide-reckons-capcom(For reference, RE 6 had 600 people at the time) and it's not much considering it's an open world game and how much it costs to make an open world game on PS4/Xbone.

There's also the fact that they've made and are maintaining Dragon's Dogma online and they are releasing Monster Hunter World in less than a months and I doubt they'd make two similar open world games (at least in the eyes of the market) at the exact same time (development on World started in mid 2014) while also having an online title in the same franchise.

I'd be really surprised if it was DD 2.

How exactly does DD Online or MHW factor into this? The former is not a product aimed at international markets like the original DD, and the latter is a completely unrelated product. Dragon's Dogma was also much better received than DMC4's special edition, and it belongs to a genre that keeps seeing successful products across the board. Implying that making an open world game is somehow more expensive than making another kind of game makes no sense either, considering that a linear game can be as expensive as an open one due to scope. Let's not forget that the leak itself claims that the game is more open than previous entries, has boss fights that span multiple areas (and a camera system that made the developers proud to display the bigger and more open scope), is inspired by Dragon's Dogma and has destructible environments. Certainly doesn't look like a game with a small scope, so why would it necessarily be cheaper to make than Dragon's Dogma 2?
Better accept reality before the eventual disappointment.

I'll only be disappointed if it's as bad as DMC4.
You did post in the DMC mobile thread about being sad that SoS was gonna be banned in E3, meaning you think that the mobile game somehow discredited the leak.
Please don't misunderstand my posts, I said that the mobile game (and the new HD Collection) furthered my skepticism of the leak, not that they disproved it.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A brand new Western RPG IP from a Japanese studio from an acclaimed director is received better than a low budget update to a 10 year old game...

And as far as "reception" goes, their reviews are around the same on MC. DMC4SE was aimed at the hardcore DMC fans for the most part and it did the job right, it sold well for Capcom (Capcom boasting profits for once thanks in part to DMC4SE).

And CrimsonCrescendo , I don't know about how expensive Dragon's Dogma was but it had far less people working on it than RE6. 150 people with 2/3 year development time. And honestly anyone who played Dragon's Dogma knows it's not exactly crazy high budget game, the game feels unfinished and sparse. Based on what we know about DMCV and that new picture of 60 people on the main development team (not even including the voice actors, mocap people, outsourced people etc)... the budget for DMCV might actually be equivalent to DD.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly does DD Online or MHW factor into this? The former is not a product aimed at international markets like the original DD, and the latter is a completely unrelated product. Dragon's Dogma was also much better received than DMC4's special edition, and it belongs to a genre that keeps seeing successful products across the board. Implying that making an open world game is somehow more expensive than making another kind of game makes no sense either, considering that a linear game can be as expensive as an open one due to scope. Let's not forget that the leak itself claims that the game is more open than previous entries, has boss fights that span multiple areas (and a camera system that made the developers proud to display the bigger and more open scope), is inspired by Dragon's Dogma and has destructible environments. Certainly doesn't look like a game with a small scope, so why would it necessarily be cheaper to make than Dragon's Dogma 2?

I'll only be disappointed if it's as bad as DMC4.

Please don't misunderstand my posts, I said that the mobile game (and the new HD Collection) furthered my skepticism of the leak, not that they disproved it.

Dragon's Dogma Online and Monster Hunter World are both aimed at the domestic market, and Monster Hunter World is aimed at international. They don't need three open world games aimed at domestic and two internationally released in the same year and a half window.

I'll concede to Dahbomb on the budget.

Last edited:

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Where there is smoke, there's fire...

If any of y'all expecting or think Itsuno's title is DD2, then kindly point us to the smoke please

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Deliver onto us DMCV Itsuno!
giphy.webp

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't need three open world games aimed at domestic and two internationally released in the same year and a half window.

If it's what would sell the best, why wouldn't they need that? It's not like other publishers shy from doing similar things, otherwise Destiny 2 wouldn't release in the same year as Call of Duty or Titanfall 2 wouldn't release the same year as BF1. We can play armchair analysts all we want, but the truth remains that it's entirely possible that Capcom is developing DD2 right now.
A brand new Western RPG IP from a Japanese studio from an acclaimed director is received better than a low budget update to a 10 year old game.

I wouldn't call Dragon's Dogma a western RPG, but yes, it is unsurprising that it was received better, just as it'd be unsurprising that it is about to get a sequel.

ColdVergil

Oct 25, 2017
If it's what would sell the best, why wouldn't they need that? It's not like other publishers shy from doing similar things, otherwise Destiny 2 wouldn't release in the same year as Call of Duty or Titanfall 2 wouldn't release the same year as BF1. We can play armchair analysts all we want, but the truth remains that it's entirely possible that Capcom is developing DD2 right now.

I wouldn't call Dragon's Dogma a western RPG, but yes, it is unsurprising that it was received better, just as it'd be unsurprising that it is about to get a sequel.

Wonder where are the DD 2 leaks or rumors cause I haven't seen literally any.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Itsuno does not tolerate snitches. That's why we weren't hearing rumors about DMC3:Special Edition coming until like six minutes after DMC3 came out.
There were no rumors for DMC3SE before it came out, it came out of the blue at TGS. There were rumors for DMC3 beforehand though, through the mocap for Lady who essentially admitted to be working on DMC3.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder where are the DD 2 leaks or rumors cause I haven't seen literally any.

First I would wonder why OP's leaks haven't been verified yet. I mean, if it's so natural for them to occur surrounding what Capcom is doing.
You want to make a bet over this or nah?

Sure thing. I bet I'll enjoy whatever's next for this series, regardless of the conversation surrounding it (if the game's any good, that is).

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
First I would wonder why OP's leaks haven't been verified yet. I mean, if it's so natural for them to occur surrounding what Capcom is doing.

Well the mods trust OP's sources to an extent for this thread to exist. Not all of it can be verified until closer to announcement just like for every other leak out there.

Also there is more to DMCV than this leak obviously, like teases from voice actors, capcom's fiscal reports, "secret" project that the cast of previous DMC games working on, Itsuno's twitter timeline/comments/interviews, HD collection in march and the 4SE teases and that is just naming a few. Any DMC fan who has been tracking all of this since 4SE can easily see that the teases are not just random coincidences. Honestly my reaction to this leak was just meh because I am constantly being updated on such teases by the DMC community.

While the only thing rooting for DD2 is the port of the original to PS4/X1 last year. Also i find it bizarre even from Capcom to make DD2 with MHW going to be out soon.

Last edited:

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the mods trust OP's sources to an extent for this thread to exist. Not all of it can be verified until closer to announcement just like for every other leak out there.

Also there is more to DMCV than this leak obviously, like teases from voice actors, capcom's fiscal reports, "secret" project that the cast of previous DMC games working on, Itsuno's twitter timeline/comments/interviews, HD collection in march and the 4SE teases and that is just naming a few. Any DMC fan who has been tracking all of this since 4SE can easily see that the teases are not just random coincidences. Honestly my reaction to this leak was just meh because I am constantly being updated on such teases by the DMC community.

While the only thing rooting for DD2 is the port of the original to PS4/X1 last year. Also i find it bizarre even from Capcom to make DD2 with MHW going to be out soon.

Back in 2012, Capcom released Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, Resident Evil Revelations and HD ports of Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. Monster Hunter really doesn't strike me as something that would somehow impede them from making Dragon's Dogma, these are extremely different games even if they fit the same genre.

Also, so far I've seen no tease that would make me backtrack on any comment I gave. I do think the "community" or such has viewed some social media interaction in a needlessly hopeful light (and I don't care if they do, but I'm also entitled to my opinion which is all I ever posted so far). Releasing the HD Collection after releasing DMC4SE is very natural, Capcom has been very aggressive with their porting efforts. But the leaked information never felt factual and the mods absolutely do not trust OP enough, otherwise his account wouldn't be on the line.

Back in 2012, Capcom released Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, Resident Evil Revelations and HD ports of Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. Monster Hunter really doesn't strike me as something that would somehow impede them from making Dragon's Dogma, these are extremely different games even if they fit the same genre.
And how successful were they? As far as I know, only Revelations was successful both critically and commercially. RE 6 and Operation Raccoon City were hated by a lot of people despite selling well, and I have no idea about Darkside and Umbrella Chronicles.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And how successful were they? As far as I know, only Revelations was successful both critically and commercially. RE 6 and Operation Raccoon City were hated by a lot of people despite selling well, and I have no idea about Darkside and Umbrella Chronicles.

I'm not sure how successful the 3DS game was (seems like it never crossed 1 million units), but RE6 and ORC sold very well as of today. I don't think sales of these games were harmed due to them being released in the same year.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Also, so far I've seen no tease that would make me backtrack on any comment I gave. I do think the "community" or such has viewed some social media interaction in a needlessly hopeful light (and I don't care if they do, but I'm also entitled to my opinion which is all I ever posted so far). Releasing the HD Collection after releasing DMC4SE is very natural, Capcom has been very aggressive with their porting efforts. But the leaked information never felt factual and the mods absolutely do not trust OP enough, otherwise his account wouldn't be on the line.

That's not how that works. The same conditions applies to SoS as to everyone making topics claiming they have information without any concrete evidence to back it up.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how that works. The same conditions applies to SoS as to everyone making topics claiming they have information without any concrete evidence to back it up.
But if he had evidence and showed it to the mods but not in the thread wouldn't it still be a leak but without the risk of getting banned? I thought that was how this worked.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It seems so fresh in my mind but we are in the verge of the 5th anniversary of DmC...

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It seems so fresh in my mind but we are in the verge of the 5th anniversary of DmC...

When DmC:Devil May Cry is on the verge of getting a 5th anniversary remaster (rerelease) before Devil May Cry V is announced, FeelsBadMan.

Also, there weren't any leaks of DMC3:SE because it came out like 9 months after DMC3. DMC3 was still close to full price at retail when DMC3:SE came out, which was effectively the greatest hits version.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But if he had evidence and showed it to the mods but not in the thread wouldn't it still be a leak but without the risk of getting banned? I thought that was how this worked.

SoS doesn't risk getting permed simply because the mods don't trust him. The risk would have been there regardless.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Someone should inform Kamiya that words mean things.
Sometimes i think Kamiya is a bit off at speaking English and thats why his comments come off as weird or misinterpretations,combined with his iconic angry attitude , saying random ideas caused this mess, like maybe he thought thats the direction CAPCOM could take after DmC because GOW is still by far the best selling series in the genre.
At least i think so because im no native either

huh this thread has been moving slowly :p

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a month old and isn't the DMC OT either. It's about time it finally slowed down.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First part probably isnt true at all..
But why?
You know what would be neat, PC version of DE on the anniversary. Yeah...(STARES AT CAPCOM).
I always thought that was such a strange omission. I mean, I'm pretty sure there are mods for the original DmC that make it play exactly like (or close to) the Definitive Edition, but they should've at least gave PC players an option to upgrade to the definitive edition.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's actually interesting to note, but did anyone else not find it odd how Kamiya is basicallly imagining what DMCV will be like, out of the blue. And then telling people that Itsuno will take care of the franchise (for those let-down by Ninja Theory's DmC)?

Like, assuming they are friends and I assume they are, he's basically flat out admitting that DMCV is a thing. Unless of course, every year - once per year since DMC4's release in 2008, he ponders what DMC5 should be like....

It just sounded like an otherwise odd thing to think about then all of a sudden he starts thinking about it....hm

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually interesting to note, but did anyone else not find it odd how Kamiya is basicallly imagining what DMCV will be like, out of the blue. And then telling people that Itsuno will take care of the franchise (for those let-down by Ninja Theory's DmC)?

Like, assuming they are friends and I assume they are, he's basically flat out admitting that DMCV is a thing. Unless of course, every year - once per year since DMC4's release in 2008, he ponders what DMC5 should be like....

It just sounded like an otherwise odd thing to think about then all of a sudden he starts thinking about it....hm

He posted it literally 45 minutes after an Itsuno tweet about DMC5.

Kamiya's still salty and is still trying to attack DMC's fanbase is my hot take.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The only person who doesn't think that DMCV is a thing that actually exists is that Adamska dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.