• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever DMCV is, I'm sure it wont be DMC4 Again Edition(which was DMC3 Again Edition). They put that franchise on ice because it fell into a creative rut and frankly wasnt that popular. If they're bringing it back, I'm sure its because they have some new ideas on how to evolve the franchise and get people excited about it.

Neither are true. DMC was absolutely popular back in the day, and the reasons for the reboot are well-established. Itsuno himself wanted to do 4SE and 5 after 4, but Capcom wanted to pursue the reboot direction already before they had even talked to Ninja Theory.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever DMCV is, I'm sure it wont be DMC4 Again Edition(which was DMC3 Again Edition). They put that franchise on ice because it fell into a creative rut and frankly wasnt that popular. If they're bringing it back, I'm sure its because they have some new ideas on how to evolve the franchise and get people excited about it.

People keep saying this, but it's always been bullshit. The series always sold well pre-DmC, and even DmC didn't sell terribly.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
OTS focuses the camera in front of the player in a closer, me enclosed viewing angle. Devil May Cry and other character action games typically pull the camera back to mesh with the gameplay, and to allow players to see the crowd they are controlling along with reacting to every enemy on the screen, as well as planning their progress through the group.

GOW chose to have OTS and and still uses multiple enemy groups all while restricting the players perspective. This is why they use the "thread indicator" to mitigate the lack of a wider perspective. GOW could have used a REVENGEANCE style of camera where it's close to Raiden during walk-n-talk sections, but pulls out wider when groups of enemies aggro.

To properly accommodate OTS camera, combat would need to be balanced and reworked at the expense of the gameplay in my opinion. I wider field of view gives players more room to work with and allows the combat to shine through, since everything can be seen and reacted to.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lg0A0tk.gif

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, come on.
This was in dev before GoW was even shown to be over the shoulder and GoW is "first" game when character action game blended with such perspective.
DMC will be standard fare, probably no more locked angles though, DmC like.

God Hand did it first and with a better gameplay/combat mechanics.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think God of War's combat is way more varied and accessible than God Hand's.
not to mention literally everything outside the combat in God Hand is mediocre to bad, from its anonymous attempt at level design/world building, its ugly visuals(even for the time), most of its non diegetic music, its embarrassing cutscenes, its attempts at puzzles/platforming/basically anything besides combat. Even the combat gets stale and repetitive after half a dozen hours(probably because there's nothing of worth around it to compensate or vary the pacing), and its an 12-15 hour game, for some reason.

God Hand is not a good video game.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think God of War's combat is way more varied and accessible than God Hand's.

Accessible. Sure. More varied ? Not really. God Hand's combo system is insane, creative and offers a lot of possibility. You can basically fully customise your moveset with more than hundred moves.

How?
How can you think this?

God Hand was fucking jank at it's worst gameplay wise, shit barely worked and was glued with shoestrings.

No it wasnt. Maybe when you dont know how to play it. I used to think the same because I didnt knew either. You have troubles to move, troubles to make combos and such. When you understand the gameplay, your learn to juggle, dash, change your moveset and even attack multiple ennemies at the same time.

Deleted member 19761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God Hand's combat is masterful and a million times better than GOW's. Playing GOW on hard is like The Witcher 3 without your shield. It requires repetition. Meanwhile, God Hand on the hardest difficulty is amazingly fun to play/watch and is super non-deterministic in terms of what attacks the player wants to use to defeat enemies.

I hope DMCV takes almost no inspiration from GOW, as far as camera angles go I hopw it's mostly the same as DMC4's "semi-fixed" camera.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Accessible. Sure. More varied ? Not really. God Hand's combo system is insane, creative and offers a lot of possibility. You can basically fully customise your moveset with more than hundred moves.
Yeah, but in GOW you can customize your equipment with a bunch of different passive and active skills (and runic moves), you have tons of moves across the Axe, the Blades and the Boy and you have ranged options too. Also, enemies are way more varied, making encounters extremely unpredictable.
Playing GOW on hard is like The Witcher 3 without your shield. It requires repetition
???

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but in GOW you can customize your equipment with a bunch of different passive and active skills (and runic moves), you have tons of moves across the Axe, the Blades and the Boy and you have ranged options too. Also, enemies are way more varied, making encounters extremely unpredictable.

And it'll never be as rich as God Hand's combat system. Sure, you can add a few passives on your gear, but it doesn't change that despite that, the moveset remains somewhat limited. But that's fine because God of War isn't meant to be a BTA but more of an action adventure title.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
God Hand's combat is masterful and a million times better than GOW's. Playing GOW on hard is like The Witcher 3 without your shield. It requires repetition. Meanwhile, God Hand on the hardest difficulty is amazingly fun to play/watch and is super non-deterministic in terms of what attacks the player wants to use to defeat enemies.

I hope DMCV takes almost no inspiration from GOW, as far as camera angles go I hopw it's mostly the same as DMC4's "semi-fixed" camera.

What is your opinion of GOW on its hardest difficulty? Playing one game on a difficulty lower than another game doesn't really make a good comparison.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the variety in encounters and the ranged options makes it much richer, IMO. God Hand feels much more limited since Gene simply isn't as versatile as Kratos+Boy due to him having essentially zero ranged options (from what I recall).

You do have roulette wheel techniques to reach ennemis from range but also to bring them to you. On top of that, you can throw stuff.
More limited ? Not in a million years. You should watch gameplay videos and guides. You'll see people doing insane things. And if you play the game and learn, you'll also see how wealthy the combat system is. But it's getting off topic anyway. My original point was that God of War isn't the only brawler game to do so and God Hand has shown you can actually do something really skilled with a lot of combos and mecanics without jumps.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do have roulette wheel techniques to reach ennemis from range but also to bring them to you. On top of that, you can throw stuff.
More limited ? Not in a million years. You should watch gameplay videos and guides. You'll see people doing insane things. And if you play the game and learn, you'll also see how wealthy the combat system is. But it's getting off topic anyway. My original point was that God of War isn't the only brawler game to do so and God Hand has shown you can actually do something really skilled with a lot of combos and mecanics without jumps.
I too think you should watch some GOW videos, stuff gets pretty intense and it's very cool that you can tackle these encounters with skills equivalent to Witch Time and many others. I do agree with the point that an over the shoulder camera can be used in a good action game, with or without jumps might I add.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
not to mention literally everything outside the combat in God Hand is mediocre to bad, from its anonymous attempt at level design/world building, its ugly visuals(even for the time), most of its non diegetic music, its embarrassing cutscenes, its attempts at puzzles/platforming/basically anything besides combat. Even the combat gets stale and repetitive after half a dozen hours(probably because there's nothing of worth around it to compensate or vary the pacing), and its an 12-15 hour game, for some reason.

God Hand is not a good video game.
I don't remember much platforming or puzzle solving in the game, not enough to get worked over. The cutscenes are hilarious cheesy stuff and the music is hella fun. There are some superb fights in Godhand punctuated by a solid combat system that is completely original and fresh. Finally an action game that isnt cribbing off of DMC for once.

This is a Hokuto No Ken game only its a parody of it and doesnt take itself seriously. Its constantly poking fun at itself, there is a certain charm to it. I don't know anyone who does a La Bomba, Dragon Kick, Homerun or Grovel yet not feel hype or get a smile on their face. Once you are in the zone in the game with the dodging, weaving, guard breaking, juggling and combining supers.. thats when you feel it.

I thought this was a low budget, jank game when I first played it but getting more into it there is a lot of ingenuity in it. Lots of work and love put into it with the means they were given.

Last edited:

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I too think you should watch some GOW videos, stuff gets pretty intense and it's very cool that you can tackle these encounters with skills equivalent to Witch Time and many others. I do agree with the point that an over the shoulder camera can be used in a good action game, with or without jumps might I add.

Honestly blade combat is greatly underrated and under talked in this GOW. When upgraded it gives you chain-reaction combos resembling action in previous games, with even better implementation imho. Some particular timing combos reminded me of some DMC equivalent ones.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God Hand is great.

God of War is great.

Great stuff for everyone.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

giphy.gif

Hotspurr

Banned
May 13, 2018
Don't really understand the GoW comparisons to DMC type games. GoW is not a flashy combat game, it's serviceable but no one will be pressed to watch cool combo videos of it. Bayonetta and DMC are stylish action games, GoW doesn't accomplish that, neither do the older GoW games. GoW was always about brutality and epic encounters, both which the new game missed .

So is this game still supposedly ps4 first and pc later?

It would be unfortunate if this was the case. I own all consoles and if Capcom leaves out Xbox owners that will be a huge slap in the face after dangling the remastered versions in their face in recent years.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I highly doubt that whatever a DMC5 becomes, it won't be plastered with copy & pasted animations from DMC4 & DMC3.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I highly doubt that whatever a DMC5 becomes, it won't be plastered with copy & pasted animations from DMC4 & DMC3.
Utilizing animations again is one thing.

It's just seeing if a new game can finally break free of the last few vestiges of its Resident Evil-inspired roots, to me. That alone would be already something I'm looking forward to: a DMC without fixed camera angels, puzzles and the like.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm okay with a semi-fixed camera if the environments don't actively work against the camera

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
hopefully they can put Dante in some nice clothes again....
After DMC2, Dante's fashion went to shit.
Sometimes i think people hype DMC 2 too much above the others in terms of clothes.
ok DMC 3 went for a teen direction, justified in the intro leather clothes, pants etc.it fitted the character as a brash teenager. DMC 4 Dante is a continuation of this, looks cool imo main problem are those hideous boots but im sure he will change them.

DMC 2 Dante is a very serious silent hero.he looks like the protagonist in some vampire manga/anime (wich is alright, but could be changed too)
images

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why this meme exists again? they just made Monster Hunter World, a massive game and the biggest MH to date.
they are actually successful these days.

Because prior to MH most of their games were on shoe string budgets or funded by Sony/MS.

Look I think DMC5 is a thing, but it'll be a monkey paw thing I can almost assure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.