• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
AKSCt0J.gif

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
This is the state of video game journalism now? my word
That's from IGN India. Still IGN, but not the core sites like US or UK.

The larger outlets by and large don't cover rumors and speculation, which this is. Smaller sites and youtubers will snap this up because it brings traffic, but the big outlets are held to higher standards and can't report on stuff that could be proven false.

Emka

Oct 27, 2017
What if there was a "trick" to Nero being Vergil's son?

Maybe Mundus decided to go full Wesker and tried to "create" a new Vergil because he couldn't fully "control" the original (or because Nelo Angelo died against Dante idk).
Mundus used Vergil DNA to create another Sparda son (so half human, half demon) and the experiment ultimately failed a bit, which would explain Nero having a demonic arm and having a weird Devil Trigger.
It would also explain why he "needs" Yamato, it's because he needs a "part" of Vergil to be "complete" because he is a "failed experiment".

It would also explain the questions of who and when did Vergil banged. The answer being, he didn't do shit.

Technically, you could still say he is Vergil's son.

I'm just spitballing here and my DMC lore knowledge is not that fresh now, but you get the idea.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Look forward to it! If it's a success, hopefully will chain into a revival of the Onimusha IP as well as other classic Capcom IPs.

I'm trying to think of any other game series (or media franchise in general, really) that was loudly and proudly rebooted, only for the next game in the series to ignore the reboot and return to the original continuity. Anyone got an example?

Hitman (Absolution>Hitman 2016)? Metroid (Other M>Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid 2 Remake)? XCOM (FPS which turned into a tactical shooter>XCOM revival that was far more in tune with the originals)? Dark Souls 3 arguably largely ignored 2 quite a lot and was more of a sequel to Dark Souls 1. And I've not played it yet but isn't RE7 the direct opposite of RE6?

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Ok, just find it really weird to skip an entire (possibly amazing game) because you think the PS4 controller is inferior. I could personally never do that.

And btw, if you hate third party exvlusives, I hope you never bought Rise of the Tomb Raider considerign it was timed exclusive for quite a while.
Timed exclusive is not exclusive.

Also the trading games is a bigger deal.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman (Absolution>Hitman 2016)? Metroid (Other M>Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid 2 Remake)? XCOM (FPS which turned into a tactical shooter>XCOM revival that was far more in tune with the originals)? Dark Souls 3 arguably largely ignored 2 quite a lot and was more of a sequel to Dark Souls 1. And I've not played it yet but isn't RE7 the direct opposite of RE6?
XCOM possibly fits (though it's a bit complicated by the fact that Enemy Unknown made it to release before the Bureau did, which forced some changes to the Bureau's design), but the rest are all still within the narrative universes of the previous games and remain in continuity even if their gameplay diverged significantly from the rest of the series.

The Prince of Persia example is the only other one I can think of where they explicitly rebooted the story and continuity and proclaimed it to be the "new [series name]" only to go back and make the next main game a sequel set in the original continuity. Bionic Commando, by virtue of Rearmed 2 getting made and not a sequel to the Grin game, maybe?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thread summary for those tuning in (with links):

1) Massive leak posted by Son of Sparda in the OP.
2) ZhugeEX states that leak was looked over by the mods/admins, allowed to post but on the condition that SoS takes PERMANENT BAN if this is a hoax.
3) Random supposed insider claims it's also coming on Xbox and is willing to take permanent ban for it.
4) Dahbomb posts staggering personal statement spanning 3500 words.
5) Another admin Nibel graces the thread. SweetNicole as well.
6) Claimed second leaker comes in and states that the leak is false. (ShamelessZeroMain) Also claims that DMCV will have microtransactions like DMC4SE. Source is a discord buddy.
7) Son of Sparda calls him out, starting the leaker vs leaker warfare. ShamelessZeroMain bets $1 for every post in the thread, so going $2200 strong right now.
8) SweetNicole announces that ShamelessZeroMain is beholden to the same rules as SoS. If he's wrong then he also gets permabanned.
9) ShamelessZero gets shook, starts backpedaling. More backpedaling. And more. And then some. Admits to drinking and saying stupid shit.
10) Admins ask Shameless to deliver sources, he doesn't comply. ShamelessZeroMain gets banned for trolling and having an alt account. Takes to Twitter to complain that his esports manager got a hold of his Resetera account.
11) People so hype for DMCV they start streaming this thread on youtube as it develops!
12) Sunhilegends delivers godlike gif for DMCV!
13) Gaming news outlet start running the story, it has officially gone big and viral.
14) Geoff Keighley aka the Doritos Pope graces the thread with his presence!
15) Dantelinkx comes in and leaks through a proxy that DMCV will get unveiled at either PSX or TGA. Fanning the flames of the leaker wars!
16) Maximillian D00d (famous youtubers) chimes in on the DMCV hype!
17) Dahbomb makes actual analysis of the leaks.
18) IGN first major gaming website to report on the leak.
19) MBS claims that Vergil being Nero's father is as likely as Trish being Lady's mother....
20) Johnny Bosch makes a tweet about being 5 minutes late... has 5:05 on the clock possibly referring to SOS aka Sons of Sparda.
21) Son of Sparda makes a couple of more leaks: DMCV to be PS4 console exclusive and PC later on. Engine is UE4.
22) Trish VA starts tweeting about DMCV.Trish's Voice Actor tweets about wanting the cast of DMC4SE back for Christmas. Kyrie's voice actor tweets too but could be completely unrelated.
23) Son of Sparda releases information about a location test for an unknown game in Brighton, UK. References games like DMC, Bayonetta, GoW, Zelda, Okami etc. Could be DMCV but don't count on it.
24) Super Best Friend podcast on DMCV, call it the "worst kept secret" in gaming right now. Starts at 39 minutes.

These were the highlights. About 50 "The time has come and so have I" gifs as well.

Last edited:

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Almost none of those are reboots.

BobbyBoulders

Oct 27, 2017
I still prefer DmC to the mainline Devil May Cry series.

happy for the fans that have been waiting so long for this though.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
XCOM possibly fits (though it's a bit complicated by the fact that Enemy Unknown made it to release before the Bureau did, which forced some changes to the Bureau's design), but the rest are all still within the narrative universes of the previous games and remain in continuity even if their gameplay diverged significantly from the rest of the series.

The Prince of Persia example is the only other one I can think of where they explicitly rebooted the story and continuity and proclaimed it to be the "new [series name]" only to go back and make the next main game a sequel set in the original continuity. Bionic Commando, by virtue of Rearmed 2 getting made and not a sequel to the Grin game, maybe?

Ah right, read your post wrong, didn't realise you meant narratively, my bad. Yeah you're right, it's pretty hard to think of anything on this scale in that sense...

Hyugul

Oct 27, 2017

2) ZhugeEX states that leak was looked over by the mods/admins, allowed to post but on the condition that SoS takes PERMANENT BAN if this is a hoax.
3) Random supposed insider claims it's also coming on Xbox and is willing to take permanent ban for it.
6) Claimed second leaker comes in and states that the leak is false. (ShamelessZeroMain) Also claims that DMCV will have microtransactions like DMC4SE. Source is a discord buddy.
7) Son of Sparda calls him out, starting the leaker vs leaker warfare. ShamelessZeroMain bets $1 for every post in the thread, so going $2200 strong right now.
8) SweetNicole announces that ShamelessZeroMain is beholden to the same rules as SoS. If he's wrong then he also gets permabanned.
9) ShamelessZero gets shook, starts backpedaling. More backpedaling. And more. And then some. Admits to drinking and saying stupid shit.
10) Admins ask Shameless to deliver sources, he doesn't comply. ShamelessZeroMain gets banned for trolling and having an alt account. Takes to Twitter to complain that his esports manager got a hold of his Resetera account.
11) People so hype for DMCV they start streaming this thread on youtube as it develops!
13) Gaming news outlet start running the story, it has officially gone big and viral.
15) Dantelinkx comes in and leaks through a proxy that DMCV will get unveiled at either PSX or TGA. Fanning the flames of the leaker wars!
19) MBS claims that Vergil being Nero's father is as likely as Trish being Lady's mother....

These were the highlights. About 50 "The time has come and so have I" gifs as well.

Thank you. Now I can read all these things with popcorn.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is crazy.

But at least the game is coming, unless something crazy happens.

It's gonna be a crazy wait till the announcement.

This is not a crazy post btw.

I am not crazy(?) either.

d00.jpg

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

RESETERA is a thing now, good

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

Dramatic-Clapping-Crying-Meme-Face-Of-Citizen-Kane.gif

Thank you for this.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the highlights. It will be a good read

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the more I read the OP, the less I believe it. How people got hyped over the weakest "leak" possible is beyond me (well, aside from the thirst of some people). The information OP posted is all over the place (some kind of PS exclusivity, game has open maps but too open, game is not a Musou title, the camera moves and devs are proud of that, scenes are confirmed to feature characters that the devs don't know how to fit in the game, an so on), and it sounds just like one of the many tirades that "leakers" love to invent (I mean, I've been following the DCEU leaks subreddit for a while now, and it is crazy the things people will come up with, but when actual leaks were provided, they weren't baseless or as wish fulfillment-y as this one).

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
This thread, this thread has entertained me from morning well to the next day, bravo.
I just reinstalled DMC4SE, time to warm up.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017

Dahbomb continuing an uncontested title of MVP.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017

Thread of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.