• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
b175ac8a-220a-4cc1-ba96-9ba7f84c4876
b175ac8a-220a-4cc1-ba96-9ba7f84c4876
kc2A3Rx.jpg

Hmm... not bad! It's not quite the same as when we all got on Geryon's wagon back at the old place, though...

Nov 15, 2017
Could have had no choice. They're on thin ice financially. They may have approached Xbox and it fell,through. Who knows this early on.

That's probably what's going on, quite honestly. I think Capcom is needing someone to shoulder their business end, and there's no better way to ensure that works out for the best than by relying on a.) a fellow Japanese publisher (and bonus: hardware manufacturer), and b.) the company that produces the best-selling console line in the world. You get a company that understands you on a cultural level as well as the largest install base to sell to. It's a win-win for all sides, really.

Sucks for MS, but this — if true — likely isn't about anything except business pragmatism.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean DmC Dante is the closest thing the series will ever have to left wing black bloc fighting cops and shit, whereas Nero is from a sancfied bloodline and an enforcer for the church so he's way more inherently fash. But that guy was going by Nero on twitter and first did platinum blonde hair as cosplay to suck up to his new gamer friends. It sucks, I liked Nero, but that guy ruined him for me.

Sorry to here that but most people probably haven't heard of this guy. You're dwelling too much.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably what's going on, quite honestly. I think Capcom is needing someone to shoulder their business end, and there's no better way to ensure that works out for the best than by relying on a.) a fellow Japanese publisher (and bonus: hardware manufacturer), and b.) the company that produces the best-selling console line in the world. You get a company that understands you on a cultural level as well as the largest install base to sell to. It's a win-win for all sides, really.

Sucks for MS, but this — if true — likely isn't about anything except business pragmatism.

See this would make sense yet Xbox is getting Monster Hunter which is far less likely to do well on the console than a game that has history and previous games there.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017

This is pretty spot on.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
See this would make sense yet Xbox is getting Monster Hunter which is far less likely to do well on the console than a game that has history and previous games there.
Capcom views Monster Hunter differently than Devil May Cry. Monster Hunter for all intents and purposes is their biggest franchise outside or Resident Evil. They are putting that everywhere they possibly can.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's not act as if DMC's story prior to DmC was amazing... It was always terrible. And, in terms of "cringey edge shit", the biggest one is probably in the very first game :D

Cringe, yes. Edge, not really? DMC 2 aside anyway...

I think a big key difference between Dante and Donte is that despite how arrogant/cocky/ Dante has always been, he's never come off as an asshole. On top of that, despite him generally being an impossible badass, every DMC game has at least one or two cutscenes where he's shown to NOT be badass (getting stabbed/hit/beat up), or NOT be charming (any scene with Lady in it, Trish teasing him at the end of DMC4SE), or just generally being goofy. He's still vulnerable, which makes him incredibly likable despite most characters with his archetype USUALLY being edgelords.

It gives the prior DMC games the feeling that although their stories can get pretty stupid, nobody on the writing team really takes Dante and his impossible antics too seriously. Dante doesn't even take himself too seriously. DmC didn't do this. Donte being badass, charming, serious, all was meant to be taken at face value...except without the silly little tongue-in-cheek aspect that Dante has that provided the suspension of disbelief.

Thats why the old Dante can have "DARK SOUL WITH LIIII~IIGHTT" and "THIS PARTY'S GETTIN CRAZAAYYY" as actual lines of dialogue, and people can still eat it up.

This is also probably why Nero was a bit unpopular when he came out. He's TOO serious. Meanwhile in the same game, Dante is basically a 260lb Looney Toons character

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter is Capcom's money maker. They're going all in to make it relevant on the three main platforms while DMC is in a genre that's barely alive at this point.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom views Monster Hunter differently than Devil May Cry. Monster Hunter for all intents and purposes is their biggest franchise outside or Resident Evil. They are putting that everywhere they possibly can.

And yet arguably it may very well sell very little on Xbox and you could probably assume less than a new DMC would, the logic doesn't stick with it. A series with history is guaranteed sales a new game series on the console isn't. It is very much a higher risk putting MH than DMC

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't feel anything when Dante tried burying his sadness over his brother's seeming death by throwing himself into a horde of demons at the end of DMC3 you are empty inside.

It's this perfect moment of vulnerability from someone who just spent the whole game being this massive cartoon character.

Nov 15, 2017
Best running animation or bestest running animation of all time?

It's amazing what happens when people nail the little things.

It also fills a niche that Microsoft needs, since their RPG-ish stable is pretty empty. Furthermore, if you consider that this is looking to be a console-based MH game with a wide-reaching release, you can safely bet that the game will be a "platform" that goes the way of "grind shit out until you lose the will the fight and just pay us $7 for the shit you really want / need." That's a fast way to make an addictive game that requires teamwork and makes money from all available avenues.

Not saying that's what will happen, just saying that this is a safe bet in this day and age, especially given its multiplatform strategy when compared to other multiplatform games that Capcom has released in recent memory.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
OP risking his account on this makes me want to believe this. I just hope whoever he got this info from didn't lie to him about it. That would suck.

CD99

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
If you didn't feel anything when Dante tried burying his sadness over his brother's seeming death by throwing himself into a horde of demons at the end of DMC3 you are empty inside.

It's this perfect moment of vulnerability from someone who just spent the whole game being this massive cartoon character.

"Well, bring it on! I love this! This is what I live for! I'm absolutely crazy about it!!"

So good.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dante wields his over the top persona as a way to hide his fears and insecurities. That's canon by Word of God.

But it doesn't really come through in the games, and is something they could try and do more with.

Nov 15, 2017

I've been waiting to see some Vash the Stampede moments from Dante. The ones where you see him on the brink of defeat, questioning his whole outlook and methodology, and asking if he's really doing the world any favors by existing.

Because that is the perfect counterbalance to someone acting like a cartoon character all the time. It gives him context and puts the "tears of a clown" angle on full effect.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MH situation and DMC situation are widly different:

- Capcom wants MH to become their new big IP in the west, is been always a major seller in Japan but not in the west, this is the "go big or go home" game for the series in the west, they obviously want to release it on every platform possible.
- DMC belongs to an increasingly niche genre: character action games, with GoW abandoning the genre, it has been basically PG territory which games hasn't set the world on fire. Even if DMCSE did well enough, and DMC is bigger that any of the PG games, AAA costs are too high for a single player focused game these days. Sony's funding eases the cost of releasing a new gen DMC and try to revive the IP without burning yourself too much in the case that fails. If somewhat the game becomes a big seller (AAA level of seller), next games will be released on Xbox, if not, Capcom won't suffer much losses or if is midly successful can keep persuing the avenue with Sony, which may have a valuable japanese exclusive in his portfolio.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

- Capcom wants MH to become their new big IP in the west, is been always a major seller in Japan but not in the west, this is the "go big or go home" game for the series in the west, they obviously want to release it on every platform possible.
- DMC belongs to an increasingly niche genre: character action games, with GoW abandoning the genre, it has been basically PG territory which games hasn't set the world on fire. Even if DMCSE did well enough, and DMC is bigger that any of the PG games, AAA costs are too high for a single player focused game these days. Sony's funding eases the cost of releasing a new gen DMC and try to revive the IP without burning yourself too much in the case that fails. If somewhat the game becomes a big seller (AAA level of seller), next games will be released on Xbox, if not, Capcom won't suffer much losses or if is midly successful can keep persuing the avenue with Sony, which may have a valuable japanese exclusive in his portfolio.
This guy gets it.

TWILTY

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, DMC3 is known for being crazy nonsense, but it really deserves more credit than that.

"It's only the rain."
"The rain already stopped..."
"Devils never cry."

Nov 15, 2017

Drumroll.mp3

- drumroll intensifies -

- DMC belongs to an increasingly niche genre: character action games, with GoW abandoning the genre, it has been basically PG territory which games hasn't set the world on fire. Even if DMCSE did well enough, and DMC is bigger that any of the PG games, AAA costs are too high for a single player focused game these days.

- drumroll intensifies -

Sony's funding eases the cost of releasing a new gen DMC and try to revive the IP without burning yourself too much in the case that fails. If somewhat the game becomes a big seller (AAA level of seller), next games will be released on Xbox, if not, Capcom won't suffer much losses or if is midly successful can keep persuing the avenue with Sony, which may have a valuable japanese exclusive in his portfolio.

200.gif

fuckin' nailed it

Dovah

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
User has been banned (24h): constant aggressive behaviour, insults other users even after mod post.

Wow......this is garbage, congratulations for being trash.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
Sorry to here that but most people probably haven't heard of this guy. You're dwelling too much.
I think pretty much everyone in the western gaming industry has heard of him because that was sort of his thing for a while.

My wider point I guess is that there's a ton of stuff like holy bloodlines and casual sexual harassment in the series that could go down like a lead balloon in the current political climate and I hope they move forward on that rather than doing creepy Uncle Dante, again. Things have really changed in the last ten years.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I think pretty much everyone in the western gaming industry has heard of him because that was sort of his thing for a while.

My wider point I guess is that there's a ton of stuff like holy bloodlines and casual sexual harassment in the series that could go down like a lead balloon in the current political climate and I hope they move forward on that rather than doing creepy Uncle Dante, again. Things have really changed in the last ten years.

Persona 5 got some backlash for some elements thus it's a valid concern of yours.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I mean DmC Dante is the closest thing the series will ever have to left wing black bloc fighting cops and shit, whereas Nero is from a sancfied bloodline and an enforcer for the church so he's way more inherently fash. But that guy was going by Nero on twitter and first did platinum blonde hair as cosplay to suck up to his new gamer friends. It sucks, I liked Nero, but that guy ruined him for me.
guys this is a parody, i can smell it

He is a bit funny sometimes

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017

You have problems reading tone, don't you?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

I haven't heard of him but my attention span with the gaming industry is admittedly inconsistent.

I could agree with you on the latter point.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Alright, let's get back on topic. Would be a shame if we had to close this one since it's been fun so far

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway....

So who thinks Nolan North's tweet way back is related to DMCV?

Said right before E3 too, got some feathers rustled for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.