• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Guys please don't get this thread closed. This thread is like a warm blanket. I'll be left in the cold with no hot drinks and ripped pants if it closes. Please think about your friendly neighborhood Menat maniac Sesha.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Could be either Sparda or Mundus... I want it to be Sparda.

Sony rolling the bank on this game allows them to get big name VAs like Nolan North. This could be a headline by itself.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Does anyone think this isn't the case? The main reason I love the series is because of how absurdly stupid it is and how over the top it goes with the tropes it's mirroring. Series seems like it's supposed to just be dumb, goofy, and fun. I won't get in on the DmC vs DMC debate, but I definitely missed that aspect in DmC, personally.
Ditto. I think the worst parts of DMC are when it tries to be too serious (ie, Nero yelling "Kyrie" a lot). If DMC5's cutscenes are nothing but silliness and over the top action, I'm all for it. I think it would also be a very nice change of pace for the current gaming climate. We already have a ton of games with super serious storylines with dark themes set after some kind of apocalypse.

Nov 15, 2017
Was wondering myself. Voicing a new character? Perhaps our new "Lord of Darkness"?

CANT STOP WONT STOP

DRAKE < — > DANTE

ONE DARK, ONE LIGHT

SONY EXCLUSIVE

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who? Boss? or 3rd playable character?
We don't know if Sparda is in yet. Leak says "very powerful" character which could be Sparda but who knows really. That part certainly caught my eye.

I don't think Sparda should be playable beyond just massive story set piece section where you play some flashback. But I would definitely like some characterization/voice work on him. I know a lot of fans would be against it since people like his mystique but if this is going to be end of the sons of Sparda... well then they probably have to do it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd be pleasantly surprised if Capcom managed to land Nolan North. While Street Fighter does have the likes of Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, & Travis Willingham, I don't think Capcom's landed the likes of Nolan North or Troy Baker outside of Resident Evil in Troy's case.

Oct 25, 2017
Ditto. I think the worst parts of DMC are when it tries to be too serious (ie, Nero yelling "Kyrie" a lot). If DMC5's cutscenes are nothing but silliness and over the top action, I'm all for it. I think it would also be a very nice change of pace for the current gaming climate. We already have a ton of games with super serious storylines with dark themes set after some kind of apocalypse.
I think there's definitely room for some seriousness if it's not being overstated. DMC3 had just enough of it by the time the third act started, because it established some stakes and Dante actually starts to care about his legacy by stopping Arkham from abusing Sparda's power.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony likes to keep their fans well fed if true. PS4 will be the console that has things such as FF7R, Shenmue 3, DMC5, Crash Insane trilogy, Last Gaurdian, Bloodboorne almost forgot Death Stranding. Phew.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might get burn for this but I think DMC4 pushed to far the goofy and dumb writing. At some point, Dante almost became a parody of himself, there's a fine line between "80's action movie homage" which worked fantastically for RE4 and whatever they were trying with DMC4. I mean I kinda enjoyed it, but scenes like that Shakespeare-like representation and others took the joke too far. They should keep the humour but it will be nice if is a bit less absurd for the sake of being absurd and over the top.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I have to confess I do miss the more horror/gothic feeling of first DMC.
It definitely felt like horror game with badass protagonist at times (RE4 beta shines through).
Could Itsuno even try to recapture that?
Just look at artwork and listen to this OST.

devilmaycry_conceptart_PKFhH.jpg

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
guys this is a parody, i can smell it

He is a bit funny sometimes

Why would this be a parody?

I mean it's pretty clear that the two canons are on politically opposed? DMC 1 is about a holy superhuman bloodline that ran the world in an enlightened manner (which is monarchism with a healthy dose of fascism), Dante engages in a lot of Wagnerian epic stuff without doing much to change the status quo, and Nero was raised by an order of religious fascists as well as being part of a holy bloodline which gives him specific entitlements.

In DmC, Dante is pretty clearly an anarchist, not afraid to fight cops or Virgil, who ideologically believes being a son of Sparda entitles him to rule over humanity as a kind (monarchism). Mundus is more clearly defined in his motives and goals and unifies capitalism with the demonic state - the definition of fascism, just with a fantasy twist.

I'm not keen on monarchism or fascism to put it bluntly, which is why I struggle with a lot of these tropes and the games that promote them. The same thing happened with Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 - for all it's failings to treat women and queer people consistently and fairly, the ostensible message of Persona 5 is that the powerful should be held to account whereas the message of FFXV is "fuck it, the gods said this guy is king so I'm going to ride or die for him" which is completely abhorrent to me. I can't switch off this political side of myself when I play games, and I don't want to because I enjoy working out how they fit. It's more interesting this way.

Nov 15, 2017
I might get burn for this but I think DMC4 pushed to far the goofy and dumb writing. At some point, Dante almost became a parody of himself, there's a fine line between "RE4 80's action movie homage" and whatever they were trying with DMC4. I mean I kinda enjoyed it, but scenes like that Shakespeare-like representation and others took the joke too far. They should keep the humour but it will be nice if is a bit less absurd for the sake of bbeing absurd and over the top.

I said some similar shit

Geoff, I know you are lurking somewhere from your Dorito Palace.
Give us a sign.
quoting because I felt that this was an unloved gem that got missed by all
https://www.resetera.com/threads/le...avy-spoilers-inside.8198/page-35#post-1485702

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Dante wields his over the top persona as a way to hide his fears and insecurities. That's canon by Word of God.

But it doesn't really come through in the games, and is something they could try and do more with.

The anime was far from perfect but I like how how Dante seems lonely in it and there is more to his character

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Why would this be a parody?

I mean it's pretty clear that the two canons are on politically opposed? DMC 1 is about a holy superhuman bloodline that ran the world in an enlightened manner (which is monarchism with a healthy dose of fascism), Dante engages in a lot of Wagnerian epic stuff without doing much to change the status quo, and Nero was raised by an order of religious fascists as well as being part of a holy bloodline which gives him specific entitlements.

In DmC, Dante is pretty clearly an anarchist, not afraid to fight cops or Virgil, who ideologically believes being a son of Sparda entitles him to rule over humanity as a kind (monarchism). Mundus is more clearly defined in his motives and goals and unifies capitalism with the demonic state - the definition of fascism, just with a fantasy twist.

I'm not keen on monarchism or fascism to put it bluntly, which is why I struggle with a lot of these tropes and the games that promote them. The same thing happened with Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 - for all it's failings to treat women and queer people consistently and fairly, the ostensible message of Persona 5 is that the powerful should be held to account whereas the message of FFXV is "fuck it, the gods said this guy is king so I'm going to ride or die for him" which is completely abhorrent to me. I can't switch off this political side of myself when I play games, and I don't want to because I enjoy working out how they fit. It's more interesting this way.
The church guys were clearly the villains though even Nero was a reference to that.

Anyways i think your interpretation is intriguing o.O

Nov 15, 2017
Im trying to understand him.

Who, Dante?

He's not human, he's not a demon, so he can't really claim a side and fit in. Everyone he knows has a high chance of dying unless he steps up to stop it from happening, and that shit tends to carry a price. He wants to not deal with this shit, he's grossly overpowered to fight anything that isn't himself or his brother, and said brother already died by his hand on a bit of a technicality. He's a walking pain ball that has to crack a crass joke at everything just to keep his spirits up, like blowing into your own ship's sails in order to journey across an ocean that's longer, deeper and vastly more dangerous than what anyone else will have to endure.

So, if he's inappropriate, it's his coping mechanism for dealing with shit that nobody else can even fathom.

Oct 27, 2017
I see people arguing about story between DMC and DmC and I need to point out that one is super campy gothic action x11 and the other is super hipster meta conspiracy action x11. I think the former is the more fun and relevant to most peoples' needs of the two.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
I might get burn for this but I think DMC4 pushed to far the goofy and dumb writing. At some point, Dante almost became a parody of himself, there's a fine line between "80's action movie homage" which worked fantastically for RE4 and whatever they were trying with DMC4. I mean I kinda enjoyed it, but scenes like that Shakespeare-like representation and others took the joke too far. They should keep the humour but it will be nice if is a bit less absurd for the sake of being absurd and over the top.

I think what holds 4 back is the pacing is a shitshow, whereas the moments of crazy hypercompetence Leon displays in RE4 are perfectly timed to accentuate the mood of a scene. Crazy action works well when the plot's steaming ahead full tilt, not remixing the first half of the game.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Who, Dante?

He's not human, he's not a demon, so he can't really claim a side and fit in. Everyone he knows has a high chance of dying unless he steps up to stop it from happening, and that shit tends to carry a price. He wants to not deal with this shit, he's grossly overpowered to fight anything that isn't himself or his brother, and said brother already died by his hand on a bit of a technicality. He's a walking pain ball that has to crack a crass joke at everything just to keep his spirits up, like blowing into your own ship's sails in order to journey across an ocean that's longer, deeper and vastly more dangerous than what anyone else will have to endure.

So, if he's inappropriate, it's his coping mechanism for dealing with shit that nobody else can even fathom.
No , our guy Jimmy Wrong

Nov 15, 2017
No , our guy Jimmy Wrong

oh, well fuck that, I'm nobody's therapist

I see people arguing about story between DMC and DmC and I need to point out that one is super campy gothic action x11 and the other is super hipster meta conspiracy action x11. I think the former is the more fun and relevant to most peoples' needs of the two.

I think they both have their place, and if they were to somehow cohesively combine, we'd end up with something quite special

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The anime was far from perfect but I like how how Dante seems lonely in it and there is more to his character

Taking the time to focus on more of what a regular day is like for Dante and provide more context for the world itself the way that the anime did is something that I do believe that a more story-focused DMC could benefit from. The mellow ED for the series was one of the things I liked best about it, too.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Dante and Vergil are actually very similar when they drop their masks.
Dante tries to mask his insecurities by being cruazhy but gets serious when really pushed.
Vergil tries to mask his playful side who likes to just have fun by being "serious business" but it also cracks when he gets lost in a moment.

They just chose a different method of dealing with their mom beng murdered in front of them.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I think there's definitely room for some seriousness if it's not being overstated. DMC3 had just enough of it by the time the third act started, because it established some stakes and Dante actually starts to care about his legacy by stopping Arkham from abusing Sparda's power.
Yeah, some serious stuff is fine, and well, I fully expect it to contain that. Hopefully they'll be able to execute on it in a good way. The serious parts of the DMC4 story were honestly pretty bad.

Nov 15, 2017
Dante and Vergil are actually very similar when they drop their masks.
Dante tries to mask his insecurities by being cruazhy but gets serious when really pushed.
Vergil tries to mask his playful side who likes to just have fun by being "serious business" but it also cracks when he gets lost in a moment.

They just chose a different method of dealing with their mom beng murdered in front of them.

I think it's deeper than that. I think it's their methods for dealing with the pain of loss, yes, but I also believe that it's the classic Red Oni / Blue Oni dichotomy. One relies on warmth, whether through hot rage or gentle tender-heartedness, whereas the other relies on cold distance and clinical pragmatism. When pushed, Dante's seriousness causes his scattered heat to focus, whereas Vergil's focus splinters into something far more destructive (and that's saying a lot). They're opposite sides of the coin, but they understand each other on a fundamental level.

That last aspect is something I feel DmC royally fucked up, whereas DMC3 got very, very right.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yeah, some serious stuff is fine, and well, I fully expect it to contain that. Hopefully they'll be able to execute on it in a good way. The serious parts of the DMC4 story were honestly pretty bad.
And for a good reason. Few people cared about Nero and Kyrie's sappy love plot. Whatever was left about the Order creating artificial demons, opening hell gates for kicks and getting possession of Sparda, had all the gravity sucked out as soon as Dante took over.

Nov 15, 2017
Nothing outstanding but I enjoyed it. Its basically just Dante doing his daily work as a demon hunter with the episodes being different cases

Honestly, the series would have been godtier had it been 2x longer. The subplot needed more time to be implemented, and more cases would have provided a better, slower avenue for that to realistically build.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's deeper than that. I think it's their methods for dealing with the pain of loss, yes, but I also believe that it's the classic Red Oni / Blue Oni dichotomy. One relies on warmth, whether through hot rage or gentle tender-heartedness, whereas the other relies on cold distance and clinical pragmatism. When pushed, Dante's seriousness causes his scattered heat to focus, whereas Vergil's focus splinters into something far more destructive (and that's saying a lot). They're opposite sides of the coin, but they understand each other on a fundamental level.

That last aspect is something I feel DmC royally fucked up, whereas DMC3 got very, very right.

Yeah, you could definitely look at it like that too.
Man, DMC is simple at it's core but it does what it needs to very well.
DmC Vergil is a parody of a parody, Donte actually got okay near the end when he mellowed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.