• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Updated the thread recap for those tuning in this fine evening:

1) Massive leak posted by Son of Sparda in the OP.
2) ZhugeEX states that leak was looked over by the mods/admins, allowed to post but on the condition that SoS takes PERMANENT BAN if this is a hoax.
3) Random supposed insider claims it's also coming on Xbox and is willing to take permanent ban for it.
4) Dahbomb posts staggering personal statement spanning 3500 words.
5) Another admin Nibel graces the thread. SweetNicole as well.
6) Claimed second leaker comes in and states that the leak is false. (ShamelessZeroMain) Also claims that DMCV will have microtransactions like DMC4SE. Source is a discord buddy.
7) Son of Sparda calls him out, starting the leaker vs leaker warfare. ShamelessZeroMain bets $1 for every post in the thread, so going $2200 strong right now.
8) SweetNicole announces that ShamelessZeroMain is beholden to the same rules as SoS. If he's wrong then he also gets permabanned.
9) ShamelessZero gets shook, starts backpedaling. More backpedaling. And more. And then some. Admits to drinking and saying stupid shit.
10) Admins ask Shameless to deliver sources, he doesn't comply. ShamelessZeroMain gets banned for trolling and having an alt account. Takes to Twitter to complain that his esports manager got a hold of his Resetera account.
11) People so hype for DMCV they start streaming this thread on youtube as it develops!
12) Sunhilegends delivers godlike gif for DMCV!
13) Gaming news outlet start running the story, it has officially gone big and viral.
14) Geoff Keighley aka the Doritos Pope graces the thread with his presence!
15) Dantelinkx comes in and leaks through a proxy that DMCV will get unveiled at either PSX or TGA. Fanning the flames of the leaker wars!
16) Maximillian D00d (famous youtubers) chimes in on the DMCV hype!
17) Dahbomb makes actual analysis of the leaks.
18) IGN first major gaming website to report on the leak.
19) MBS claims that Vergil being Nero's father is as likely as Trish being Lady's mother....
20) Johnny Bosch makes a tweet about being 5 minutes late... has 5:05 on the clock possibly referring to SOS aka Sons of Sparda.
21) Son of Sparda makes a couple of more leaks: DMCV to be PS4 console exclusive and PC later on. Engine is UE4.
22) Trish VA starts tweeting about DMCV.Trish's Voice Actor tweets about wanting the cast of DMC4SE back for Christmas. Kyrie's voice actor tweets too but could be completely unrelated.
23) Son of Sparda releases information about a location test for an unknown game in Brighton, UK. References games like DMC, Bayonetta, GoW, Zelda, Okami etc. Could be DMCV but don't count on it.
24) Voice/Mocap Actor of Vergil Dan Southworth joins in on the fun, releases old redacted pictures of the crew in mocap gear. His agent/wife chimes in that he is under NDA for his projects but won't mislead fans.
25) Maximillian D00d tweets that he is flying to an unknown location for an unknown game. Could be it for Capcom and DMCV??
26) ZombieFred makes an.... interesting poem about DMCV.
27) Can't have a crazy thread without a crazy hype train!

I read the original leak, then I visit this thread today.. holy shit! Thanks Dahbomb for the recap. DMC is one of my favourite franchises, and its sorely missed.. I remember my brothers gifting me DMC1 in Christmas and getting crazy.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about Sephiroth aside from playing FF7 and KH1-2. He gets washed by both Cloud (twice including Advent Children) and Sora. I think Dante can take both of them free... which means Vergil can take both of them and by transitive property he can take Sephiroth. I would like to think Vergil has edge in terms of speed, durability and stamina while Sephiroth has techniques and magic abilities (magic which can control Vergil).

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Boy, that thread was a long read, and I even caught it shortly after being made! (Totally worth it btw)

What more can I say? By now I'm pretty convinced Son of Sparda is right on at least the majority of that list.

I didn't know I still had it in me to be hyped but here we are!

Can't wait for an official reveal, whenever that may be

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I would think the main things that Vergil would have to worry about are spells like Heartless Angel that would reduce him to 1HP.

We know what happens to Vergil when he's low on HPs and allows his pride to get the better of him. At least have the good sense to let your Sparda Blood regen work its magic, man!

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
As if DMC1 wasn't a soap opera as well.

Also Vergil vs Sephiroth in Death Battle is 100% real, it's slated for December 18th. It's their season ender.

6uiwri92hy001.png

Curious date though...

Sephiroth can destroy the solar system with just one attack. He will make a shish kebab out of Vergil :)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth can destroy the solar system with just one attack. He will make a shish kebab out of Vergil :)
Yet he can't beat a kid with a key for a weapon or another kid that's trying to be like Gutts.

thinking-face.png

Also with the way Death Battle does things, I don't think they are going to be counting that stuff just like they didn't count every possible Materia combination for Cloud when they had him fight Link. And Link won over Cloud in their assessment and I am certain that both Dante and Vergil can wash Cloud and Link.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
There's a lotta 'it may be this, but most likely that, the trailer is this long, but may be that long instead'

Makes the leak much less believable to me. Leaks usually just go: we saw this, and this, and heard that. But things can change before launch.'

Which is much more believable. But saying things too carefully, then backtracking half way makes this stuff much less legit to me.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lotta 'it may be this, but most likely that, the trailer is this long, but may be that long instead'

Makes the leak much less believable to me. Leaks usually just go: we saw this, and this, and heard that. But things can change before launch.'

Which is much more believable. But saying things too carefully, then backtracking half way makes this stuff much less legit to me.
Where's the backtracking? There are a ton of specifics given in here that are easy to disprove once stuff starts showing up.

Maybe I am a big DMC fan and I can see the lines of questioning/answering done for this leak... but I can already where they are going. I see stuff like "no stamina bar" and I think this is some dude worried they are going to turn DMC into some ARPG to cash in on the Souls/Nioh hype, turning it into something that it isn't.

Thrillhouse

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah there was no backtracking. This aint DMC4.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trust me when I say... I have gone over that leak more times than anyone in here. I can tell where they are going with this game. I have a lot of concerns and a lot of stuff can go either way (good or bad). Mostly my concern is that Itsuno and his development team might be trying to bite off more than they can chew... another Dragon's Dogma type situation where the game's ambition is beyond their means.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about Sephiroth aside from playing FF7 and KH1-2. He gets washed by both Cloud (twice including Advent Children) and Sora. I think Dante can take both of them free... which means Vergil can take both of them and by transitive property he can take Sephiroth. I would like to think Vergil has edge in terms of speed, durability and stamina while Sephiroth has techniques and magic abilities (magic which can control Vergil).
DMC outside of Dante's appearance in SMT is a pretty weak verse. Vergil legit can't touch Cloud or Sora if we go by feats and calculations(which is how these battles play out). Cloud can both obliterate him and the whole planet before Vegil can process a thought.

Also with the way Death Battle does things, I don't think they are going to be counting that stuff just like they didn't count every possible Materia combination for Cloud when they had him fight Link. And Link won over Cloud in their assessment and I am certain that both Dante and Vergil can wash Cloud and Link.
Death battles is mostly used as a laughing stock.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Trust me when I say... I have gone over that leak more times than anyone in here. I can tell where they are going with this game. I have a lot of concerns and a lot of stuff can go either way (good or bad). Mostly my concern is that Itsuno and his development team might be trying to bite off more than they can chew... another Dragon's Dogma type situation where the game's ambition is beyond their means.
Shit DMC4 suffered from the same thing.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing a full series replay in the throes of hype, starting with DmC DE just for funsies, and boy that game has its ups and downs. The level where you go and kidnap Mundus' gross girlfriend is genuinely great, with the best and most creative example of the crazy level-warping Limbo stuff yet. It goes from a nightclub to this neon-lit reality TV show set, with environmental hazards and challenge conditions to meet in the fights; it looks really cool. Then you finally reach Lilith, and the bossfight is a giant disgusting fetus that you just hack away at for like ten minutes straight. If it raises its right hand it's going to swipe at you, if it raises its left hand it's going to do an AOE wave you have to jump over; that's the whole fight.

I don't need every level to be jump, double-jump, boosting between floating platforms, but I wouldn't mind at all if DMC5 took some lessons from DmC's overall level design. Nothing wrong with some visual spectacle in between the fighting. I find DMC4 such a hard game to replay because I just hate all the chores that game makes you do to get through the levels (it's like they designed it to be as tedious as possible so you wouldn't notice it's half a game :P). I'll gladly take running around on the ceiling through a weird acid-trip hellscape over punching the dice again.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Where's the backtracking? There are a ton of specifics given in here that are easy to disprove once stuff starts showing up.

Maybe I am a big DMC fan and I can see the lines of questioning/answering done for this leak... but I can already where they are going. I see stuff like "no stamina bar" and I think this is some dude worried they are going to turn DMC into some ARPG to cash in on the Souls/Nioh hype, turning it into something that it isn't.
The parts that rubbed me wrong:
  • The game is slated to release some time in the fiscal calendar year of 2019. That means sometime between April 2018 and March 2019. Original plan was to release it inNovember 2018 but the date MIGHT have been pushed back to early 2019.
This seems like an overly safe statement, that the leaker wants to say 'it's going to have 2018 release!' But they are giving themselves an out. Releases are pushed back all the time, but we don't often get unrevealed pushback dates. This might just be my ocd, but the statement is kinda backtracks/Safe for my taste.

• Originally DMCV was intended to be announced at PSX but after receivingfeedback on their E3 press conference, Sony decided to scale back on PSX and instead scale up E3 2018. DMCV was an unfortunate casualty of this choice and thus it's unlikely that DMCV gets officially revealed in 2017.
Same thing here, lots of unlikelys and back scaling going on for an unrevealed event, it gives them the option to say 'told you so!' At psx, or told you so! At e3, or 'ya they pushed it back again yada yada' after its a no show at e3. Annoying to me.
  • There will be a demo for the game sometime before release.
This is kinda a given
  • Game has been in development for 2 years as of today. When it will release it will have been in development for 3 years at least. That is actually the highest time a DMC game has been in full production for. Pre-production started as early as 2015 around the time that DMC4SE finished releasing. There have been no development hiccups and as stated, the development has in fact been progressing smoothly.
'As early as 2015' seems non commital and very 2018-3 = to me.
  • There is some form of Playstation exclusivity involved. Sony is paying for some of the funding for the game but the extent of it is not known. Could be completely PS4 exclusive, console exclusive or timed exclusive. If the game is announced publicly then it will be at a Sony event, which is why many peoplethought that it was going to be at PSX.
This entire portion sounds like tales from my ass. 'It could be anything! See what sticks!'
  • Trailer has been ready for a while now. The initial trailer is 1 minute 50 seconds long (they may add new cuts to trailer to make an extended version since some time has passed from when it was made). It is mostly focused on story, characters and cutscenes. A city like setting is shown in the trailer not that different from Fortuna city in DMC4.
Backtracky. 'It's this long, but might be more or less. Could be anything at this pont' Srsly.
  • The overall game is supposed to be"ambitious" for a DMC title with a broader appeal.
With no point of reference, anyone could be saying it's 'ambitious' I mean did director say this? Artist? Leaker making shit up?
  • Longest cutscene runtime of any DMC game yet.
This seems like somthing off the back of the box of an uncharted game or ffxv.

I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and all the above are my opinion only. I've read through it multiple times now and I guess it just rubs me wrong, honestly could be my jaded heart after the last decade of waiting? I don't know.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Updated the thread recap for those tuning in this fine evening:

1) Massive leak posted by Son of Sparda in the OP.
2) ZhugeEX states that leak was looked over by the mods/admins, allowed to post but on the condition that SoS takes PERMANENT BAN if this is a hoax.
3) Random supposed insider claims it's also coming on Xbox and is willing to take permanent ban for it.
4) Dahbomb posts staggering personal statement spanning 3500 words.
5) Another admin Nibel graces the thread. SweetNicole as well.
6) Claimed second leaker comes in and states that the leak is false. (ShamelessZeroMain) Also claims that DMCV will have microtransactions like DMC4SE. Source is a discord buddy.
7) Son of Sparda calls him out, starting the leaker vs leaker warfare. ShamelessZeroMain bets $1 for every post in the thread, so going $2200 strong right now.
8) SweetNicole announces that ShamelessZeroMain is beholden to the same rules as SoS. If he's wrong then he also gets permabanned.
9) ShamelessZero gets shook, starts backpedaling. More backpedaling. And more. And then some. Admits to drinking and saying stupid shit.
10) Admins ask Shameless to deliver sources, he doesn't comply. ShamelessZeroMain gets banned for trolling and having an alt account. Takes to Twitter to complain that his esports manager got a hold of his Resetera account.
11) People so hype for DMCV they start streaming this thread on youtube as it develops!
12) Sunhilegends delivers godlike gif for DMCV!
13) Gaming news outlet start running the story, it has officially gone big and viral.
14) Geoff Keighley aka the Doritos Pope graces the thread with his presence!
15) Dantelinkx comes in and leaks through a proxy that DMCV will get unveiled at either PSX or TGA. Fanning the flames of the leaker wars!
16) Maximillian D00d (famous youtubers) chimes in on the DMCV hype!
17) Dahbomb makes actual analysis of the leaks.
18) IGN first major gaming website to report on the leak.
19) MBS claims that Vergil being Nero's father is as likely as Trish being Lady's mother....
20) Johnny Bosch makes a tweet about being 5 minutes late... has 5:05 on the clock possibly referring to SOS aka Sons of Sparda.
21) Son of Sparda makes a couple of more leaks: DMCV to be PS4 console exclusive and PC later on. Engine is UE4.
22) Trish VA starts tweeting about DMCV.Trish's Voice Actor tweets about wanting the cast of DMC4SE back for Christmas. Kyrie's voice actor tweets too but could be completely unrelated.
23) Son of Sparda releases information about a location test for an unknown game in Brighton, UK. References games like DMC, Bayonetta, GoW, Zelda, Okami etc. Could be DMCV but don't count on it.
24) Voice/Mocap Actor of Vergil Dan Southworth joins in on the fun, releases old redacted pictures of the crew in mocap gear. His agent/wife chimes in that he is under NDA for his projects but won't mislead fans.
25) Maximillian D00d tweets that he is flying to an unknown location for an unknown game. Could be it for Capcom and DMCV??
26) ZombieFred makes an.... interesting poem about DMCV.
27) Can't have a crazy thread without a crazy hype train!
Thanks for this, but it doesn't work for folks with 100 PPP lol.

Nevermind.

That would have been very useful in FF 7. Too bad it never avtually does. It's just an animation.
DMC outside of Dante's appearance in SMT is a pretty weak verse. Vergil legit can't touch Cloud or Sora if we go by feats and calculations(which is how these battles play out). Cloud can both obliterate him and the whole planet before Vegil can process a thought.

Death battles is mostly used as a laughing stock.
Cloud isn't planet level, what are you even talking about? He was clearly struggling against Sephiroth when Sephiroth dropped buildings on him.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe on par with Bahamut or Alexander, but the Knights of the Round? I don't know, man. I wonder how will those summons work on the remake, btw.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For reference.

That's also not counting the fact that the brief time he's in your party he's fully loaded out with high power magic.

Now to give Vergil a fair shake Sephiroth doesn't have a healing factor to my knowledge(unless we count Cure Materia.)

There's also the fact that technically Sephiroth can't actually "die" permantly because he kept his self awareness while in the Lifestream but that's a whole mother ballpark.

And no having played all the DMC and Bayonetta games Dante has done nothing that makes me remotely think he can beat Bayonetta.

Also as for Cloud vs Link I really don't trust DB to have good logic. See Gaara vs Toph or Yang vs Tifa(I say that as a huge RWBY fan.)

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean surely a man who can freeze time and cut through literal dimensions in the blink of an eye will have the upper hand but we just have to wait and see.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
NP showed as a public video so I assumed it was well out for the public
It's not. Please don't share private links to Patreon content. The podcast goes public at noon on Friday PT.

EDIT: I see now that you removed it, and it appears to have been a mistake. If anyone who quoted it could please remove it as well, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The Cloud and Sepiroth stuff post FF7 all seems pretty dialed up to 11 for fanservice reasons. I never got the impression in FF7 that these characters were zipping around like DBZ characters.

Nah. The dodging in DMC feels really clunky after playing Bayonetta.

Last edited:

ColdVergil

Oct 25, 2017
Vergil's final moment was off-screen and he was only referred to thereafter as 'defeated'. Also, his radiating blue burst isn't all that dissimilar from the teleport he used at every defeat beforehand. This last burst was certainly different, but he could have reconstituted somewhere else without bending the world's rules in the slightest. It was fairly ambiguous if you ask me, although in terms of storytelling it was framed in a more final way.

Listen to this man because this is literally what happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon's Dogma is godlike. I'm more than fine with flawed gems. :')

Status
Not open for further replies.