• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Well, I'm frustrated that EA is trying to make Single Player games look like a small industry, and I hope DMC5 or similar games proves EA wrong. :D

DMC is an interesting relic from a bygone era.

- Linear
- 10-12 hour campaign
- Non-open world
- Non-RPG
- No co-op
- No PvP
- No loot
- No procedure generated content
- Budget(?)

DMCV would be a true test of tests.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Man this news made reinstall DMC4:SE, played some Nero.

I had forgotten what a pain this game was to play. Like literal pain on my fingers. The hardcore might scoff at this, but I really hope a potential new DMCV is easier to play/control, i.e. doesn't make me have to use five fingers at the same time. This is why I'm a proponent of a soft-lock option (like Bayonetta) plus a dedicated launch button (like DmC). With someone like Nero it'd make it more comfortable to do exceed (while charging blue rose too, if these mechanic are even going to be in the game).
I re-visited DMC4 today and I had the same thoughts as well. I think Nero is fun to play as, but juggling the shoulder buttons is a pain. I have to hold one shoulder button to lock onto enemies, hold another shoulder button for charging revolver, and tap yet another shoulder button for the exceed mechanic. I definitely would want to see this become a bit friendlier in the next game (honestly, they should just remove the revolver charging or make it automatic).

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The fix is to just make lock on have a toggle option. This way the hardcores won't riot but the new players who are used to Souls games and the toggle lock on feature will just turn on lock on, set and forget play it like its soft lock on.

Elegant and simple. They would just have to fix movement while in lock on so that the new players can at least move around even though that's not how you actually play DMC games (if you are walking then you aren't really playing).

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
If you're talking about the Death Scissors enemy, he has a fairly straightforward pattern and you won't need a lot of space to exploit it. In his neutral state, he has a high chance of parrying your attacks, so the safest time to attack him is the recovery period after his own attacks -- either he'll try to snip his scissors at you from above or go for a broad slash when he's level with you. The best way I've found to inflict damage is using Helmbreaker; I'd jump up to avoid his attacks and then perform a wall-jump or enemy-hike off his head to gain greater height before coming down with a Helmbreaker (I believe Helmbreaker deals more damage the higher up you are in the air). He may still parry Helmbreakers as well, but I find it a better tactic than trying to attack him from the ground with sword combos.

Should the Death Scissors float beyond your reach or hide behind a wall, just stay back and wait for him to approach. Taunt to regain DT if you need it. If he's in sight, you can also shoot him to draw him towards you again. It's probably likely he'll attack you when you start resorting to firearms, but hey that's exactly what you want. :)

When he starts to dive-bomb you, stay calm and remain locked-on. As long as you're locked on, Dante will always face the direction that the Death Scissors will come at him, so it's simply up to your reaction speed to roll out of the way in time. No need for spacious footwork, just good ol' reflexes. :)

Thanks man for the tips. Really appreciate it :)

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After DmC you think they're going to make some major changes to Dante?

This is a comeback, not a reinvention. I expect a clean-cut look similar to the past games, and of course a cool side-part.
Itsuno and his team shouldn't worry about what the fans might think about simple redesigns nor should they fear giving Dante a beard, because the final product DmC Dante problems were never about his hair or his design, it was about the writing, and besides, giving a character a beard isn't a flawed decision anyway, not to mention that it might actually fit Dante.

Seriously, I'm all for criticism but if people blow bearded Dante out of proportion then I'm giving up on the fanbase. Don't.Make.It.About.The.Goddamn.Hair.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I re-visited DMC4 today and I had the same thoughts as well. I think Nero is fun to play as, but juggling the shoulder buttons is a pain. I have to hold one shoulder button to lock onto enemies, hold another shoulder button for charging revolver, and tap yet another shoulder button for the exceed mechanic. I definitely would want to see this become a bit friendlier in the next game (honestly, they should just remove the revolver charging or make it automatic).

I really liked the controls in DmC. And, it's not like it had simply a dedicated launch button; the circle (or B or whatever) button did launchers, yes, but on the air it would make other moves, and each weapon had a different move assigned to it (Aquila's B/Circle move wasn't even a launcher), effectively making it an alternate attack button. Having two buttons dedicated to attacking made comboing much easier. And I never missed the lock-on button either, though I wasn't a fan of L3+R3 for DT (and simply reassigned to R1).

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fanbase rioted about the gun bra in DMC3. If DMCV Dante doesn't look up to snuff then some people will be upset.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
After DmC you think they're going to make some major changes to Dante?

This is a comeback, not a reinvention. I expect a clean-cut look similar to the past games, and of course a cool side-part.
DMC3, DMC4, and DmC were *all* reboots to varying degrees - all intended to be easy jump-in points for new fans.

I think that *to some degree* Capcom needs to accomplish that job by making this feel like a safe place to jump into the series, but they also really need to sell the 'Dante is back, baby' angle without igniting a flamewar about it. Quite a series of PR hoops to jump through.
Fanbase rioted about the gun bra in DMC3. If DMCV Dante doesn't look up to snuff then some people will be upset.
DMC3 Dante is great, honestly - his design fits nicely with the goofy/cocky asshole persona, and it allowed Yuji Shimomura to do that most-complicated-putting-on-a-coat-ever cutscene.

Deleted member 19761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Itsuno and his team shouldn't worry about what the fans might think about simple redesigns nor should they fear giving Dante a beard, because the final product DmC Dante problems were never about his hair or his design, it was about the writing, and besides, giving a character a beard isn't a flawed decision anyway, not to mention that it might actually fit Dante.

Seriously, I'm all for criticism but if people blow bearded Dante out of proportion then I'm giving up on the fanbase. Don't.Make.It.About.The.Goddamn.Hair.

You're acting like I said the design would make or break the game.

Regardingthe one aspect of the game I'm talking about, Dante's visual design, I think it's obvious that Dante's design shouldn't be too much of a departure from the previous ones, considering the circumstances surrounding the game (10 year wait, DmC Dante being an insult to the character).

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably going to be a soft reboot of some sorts too. Either that or it seems like it's going to be an "all encompassing" DMC type game where it's going to be a culmination of all the games so they are going to be trying to get people up to speed.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A beard or a tan would actually be a pretty good look on Dante. Can't wait to see how the characters look with the powa of next(current) gen.

Oct 25, 2017
DMC1 is the Poke RBY equivalent of weird and rushed enemy types/weaknesses/balance compared to the rest of series.
That's a good comparison, lol. The eagle boss was another moment of "how am I supposed to handle this" but all you gotta do is mash Ebony & Ivory while dodging his simplistic shmup pattern of lasers and boom, easy S rank (and kill time).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Hmm Vampire Aesthetic <3
This is probably going to be a soft reboot of some sorts too. Either that or it seems like it's going to be an "all encompassing" DMC type game where it's going to be a culmination of all the games so they are going to be trying to get people up to speed.
Mundus returning could be a hint either way.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Mundus is returning. I know the OP said "Prince of Darkness" but Mundus no longer holds that title and that title could be transferred over. Or maybe the source got it confused with another character, maybe even Vergil is a Prince of Darkness of some sorts.

Airaizor

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I don't think Mundus is returning. I know the OP said "Prince of Darkness" but Mundus no longer holds that title and that title could be transferred over. Or maybe the source got it confused with another character, maybe even Vergil is a Prince of Darkness of some sorts.

A wild fan theory..but if DMC V is meant to be more personal for Dante, could it mean he had a child too, like Vergil --> Nero?

Dante ("good") | Vergil ("bad")
? (Prince of Darkness) | Nero ("good")

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
That second MLG video on the last page had me cracking up.

- Linear
- 10-12 hour campaign
- Non-open world
- Non-RPG
- No co-op
- No PvP
- No loot
- Budget(?)

That sounds like a great game. The current trends in games are not for me.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nero needs an undercut, dante needa a little more stubble and Vergil needs to be "punished Vergil".

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I remain of the opinion that short, gorgeous, playable recaps of the DMC3/DMC1/DMC4 would be a brilliant addition to DMC5.

Good way to shoehorn in retro boss/equipment unlocks, too.

Last edited:

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
9FMmxseg.png
7CjMYv5.png

7CjMYv5

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I wonder what games will appear at game awards *thinking face*.

Oh you...

- Linear
- 10-12 hour campaign
- Non-open world
- Non-RPG
- No co-op
- No PvP
- No loot
- Budget(?)

Knowing what Capcom did with Resi 7, i'm even more inclined to believe that's gonna be the case.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I really liked the controls in DmC. And, it's not like it had simply a dedicated launch button; the circle (or B or whatever) button did launchers, yes, but on the air it would make other moves, and each weapon had a different move assigned to it (Aquila's B/Circle move wasn't even a launcher), effectively making it an alternate attack button. Having two buttons dedicated to attacking made comboing much easier. And I never missed the lock-on button either, though I wasn't a fan of L3+R3 for DT (and simply reassigned to R1).
I actually beat DmC for the first time earlier today. I think the controls are fine in general, but there's two things which bugged me a lot:
- I felt it was nearly impossible to target specific enemies in a group. Countless times I tried to grapple the one enemy with a shield, and I had to repeat the process of "Nope, not that one." until Dante actually targeted the enemy I wanted.
- Please don't make me double tap the analog stick for a special move. Stinger is such a basic, vital move to use in a DMC game, but I rarely used it in DmC as I hated the input of double tapping the stick in a direction.

Between the two styles, I think I'd prefer the lock-on system from other DMC games, but I do think they need to do some tweaks to the controls from DMC4 to make it feel less fiddly.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You double jump over their head and then come down with Helm Breaker with Alastor while Devil Triggered.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good comparison, lol. The eagle boss was another moment of "how am I supposed to handle this" but all you gotta do is mash Ebony & Ivory while dodging his simplistic shmup pattern of lasers and boom, easy S rank (and kill time).
Or you can just Roll Cancel Spam DT'd Grenades at griffon and obliterate him. E&I will do very little unless youre on Normal mode.

Honestly i find playing Nero to be ok on my hands , most likely because theyve gotten used to it , though i agree 5 buttons is mad. But if Capcom dont change it up i'll be ok , it'll suck for newcomers though.

Shotgun hardly does anything against him
DT'd helm breakers are your friend. Keep your lock on when they do the corkscrew and Dante will show you which way theyre coming from. Just gotta know when to be aggressive and when to back off , theyre tough , especially on DMD.

Emka

Oct 27, 2017
Dante is a guy with white hair and a long red coat. If they give him a long beard, I hope you are all ready for Santa Claus meme for the next five year.
Hey guys lets talk more about iconic DMC2 enemies like... infested tank
maxresdefault.jpg
Don't forget the infested helicopter iconic boss!
latest

I gave up DMC2 during this boss fight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.