• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
Yoooo phanta rhei is dead ?

Wow to spend so much time and money in R&D only to fall back on UE 4.

I guess they're leaving it for the next generation of hardware.

Gonna look for that Nirolak thread on gaf.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Itsuno doesn't even hate DmC. I dunno why people act like he is against the game.
The Dante skin above is proof enough. Along with the other ideas from that game which were incorporated into DMC4:SE.
If you asked him if he felt which game was a bigger blemish on the series (DMC2 or DmC). He'd probably say DMC2 without hesitation.

Like I will not be surprised if we end up seeing DmC skins for this game. Hell even MVC:I just got one.
Capcom seems to be aware that there is a fanbase for DmC. Even if some louder types try to pretend there isn't.
Yeah, I can see Itsuno being cool with NT and fine with adding DmC skins/easter eggs in DMC5.

Like, I genuinely doubt that the DMC team and Itsuno share the grudge and hate the fanbase has for Ninja Theory. People who are expecting Capcom to pretend that DmC doesn't exist will be pissed off.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It doesn't seem like any Japanese game that has skipped the Xbox One has specifically regretted it.
Maybe it skipping the Switch could be seen as a loss, but it's not like Devil May Cry games ever showed up on Nintendo systems in the past, anyway. Don't get me wrong, DMCV on the Switch would be awesome. But I wasn't exactly getting my hopes up for it happening.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoooo phanta rhei is dead ?

Wow to spend so much time and money in R&D only to fall back on UE 4.

I guess they're leaving it for the next generation of hardware.

Gonna look for that Nirolak thread on gaf.
I wonder if RE2make is gonna use UE4 over RE Engine, I don't know why I get the feeling that it'll go with the former.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. There's literally no reason for people who liked New Dante and Old Dante to be at loggerheads. DmC was a cool game with a basis in European comics (specifically the kind of barely-disguised satire Pat Mills used in strips like Nemesis The Warlock or Slaine). Having grown up on 2000ad, I adored it, and it's really special to me as a game. It'll never have a sub-par sequel like 2 or 4 that's only really exceptional for high level combo players but doesn't hold together as an action adventure... in my opinion.

If people want the apolitical Ninja Scroll Dante who eats pizza all day and calls a demonic clone of his dead mother "babe" all day back... I don't really feel great about the sexual politics of DMC Classic (because they kind of objectively suck), but I don't feel threatened by Peter Pan Syndrome Dante and his animeness, I'm happy for people to enjoy that game.

There's no reason for them to feel threatened by snake-hipped, bisexual anarchopunk New Dante either, I think?

I'll take classic DMC's sexual politics over DmC's.

Also Dante only ever called Trish "babe" in DMC1, and that was Kamiya.

Oct 25, 2017
OPGYEdn.jpg

I can't believe this is real.
I somehow forgot about this. Yeah... DmC marketing was all kinds of wrong and problematic.

ZER0

Oct 28, 2017
To bad it's not on switch, oh well switch will probably have exclusive bayonetta games.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. There's literally no reason for people who liked New Dante and Old Dante to be at loggerheads. DmC was a cool game with a basis in European comics (specifically the kind of barely-disguised satire Pat Mills used in strips like Nemesis The Warlock or Slaine). Having grown up on 2000ad, I adored it, and it's really special to me as a game. It'll never have a sub-par sequel like 2 or 4 that's only really exceptional for high level combo players but doesn't hold together as an action adventure... in my opinion.

If people want the apolitical Ninja Scroll Dante who eats pizza all day and calls a demonic clone of his dead mother "babe" all day back... I don't really feel great about the sexual politics of DMC Classic (because they kind of objectively suck), but I don't feel threatened by Peter Pan Syndrome Dante and his animeness, I'm happy for people to enjoy that game.

There's no reason for them to feel threatened by snake-hipped, bisexual anarchopunk New Dante either, I think?

Who is threatened? My point is classic Dante should spend 5 seconds wrecking Donte as that's all the time and effort they should spend referencing DmC.

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
Oh lol I made a thread last year about Panta Rhei you know where.
Called "Capcom still using in-house engine (Panta Rhei?) for next-gen"
Nirolak's thread "Is Capcom's Panta Rhei engine causing them notable issues? "

It seems as of last year they dropped the Panta Rhei name and just called it "New engine" in presentations.

I mean, I'm actually shocked they're using UE 4. Have a hard time believing that.

EDIT:

My bad, the title was a hyperlink. Sorry.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can see Itsuno being cool with NT and fine with adding DmC skins/easter eggs in DMC5.

Like, I genuinely doubt that the DMC team and Itsuno share the grudge and hate the fanbase has for Ninja Theory. People who are expecting Capcom to pretend that DmC doesn't exist will be pissed off.

The worst part is that there's no reason for people who prefer DMC to be pissed at DmC. The game came out, it was great and lots of people enjoyed it.

The older games still exist, a new game in the older continuity is rumored to be coming too and they're still acting the rabid fanboys against any mention of DmC, it's plain sad.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Yeah, but what about the lighting, shaders, and all that technical stuff?
It seems Capcom programmers didn't manage to make to most out of the engine...
That stuff can be turned on, off, or adjusted. Again not an indicator of UE4. The input lag, however, is. Though that seems fixed in the newest builds of UE.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Here's the context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Pz8WiEW4U (it's shown very early in the video)

It was supposed to be a play on words (Capcom asked for the style of Dante being in a Western movie), though I dunno why they specifically used that movie for the joke.

I think the entire this-is-Dante/this-is-not-Dante slide is pretty painful to watch.

I'm just happy we're at the point where we're finally seeing a sequel to DMC4, and not DmC.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Dead Rising 3 too, right?

I can't believe DR3 isn't on PS4 but DR4 is.

DR3 was Xbox making up for their lackluster launch software. So it made sense that they ended up paying more for that. Since they even got their hands dirty and helped with the dev stuff for it (Since they were having trouble optimizing it). DR3 is the only title in the series that has a weird exclusivity (Similar to what ME1 used to have).

Why do you want SoS to get banned, Jaw? :(

I want as many people to play DMCV as possible.
So
50tqbqF.gif

love you SoS

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd be nice to have a side story as divorced from the convoluted plot set by DMC4, yes. And why doesn't it make sense? We've had examples of DLC that focused on settings and characters far removed from the plot of a game.

DMC's plot is a lot of things, but convoluted?

I want as many people to play DMCV as possible.
So
50tqbqF.gif

love you SoS

You're only in it for the money, you heartless monster.

Xpliskin

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Pz8WiEW4U (it's shown very early in the video)

It was supposed to be a play on words (Capcom asked for the style of Dante being in a Western movie), though I dunno why they specifically used that movie for the joke.

I think the entire this-is-Dante/this-is-not-Dante slide is pretty painful to watch.

I'm just happy we're at the point where we're finally seeing a sequel to DMC4, and not DmC.

Oh god this is so cringeworthy.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
There are games that make sense to downport to the Switch and games that don't.

Monster Hunter World did!

DMCV, on paper, sounds like it does not.

ColdVergil

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd be nice to have a side story as divorced from the convoluted plot set by DMC4, yes. And why doesn't it make sense? We've had examples of DLC that focused on settings and characters far removed from the plot of a game.

Sparda wannabe wants Sparda power to conquer the world. How is that convoluted lol.

Oct 31, 2017
That trailer is the best trailer for all DMCs just like how this trailer is the best trailer for all GOW games:

And both are among the best trailers for all games.

I don't expect a reveal trailer as bombastic as those too mentioned for DMC5. Even GOW reveal wasn't as bombastic. Such trailers take so much efforts and time to be directed and produced (confirmed even by GOW director).

That GOW teaser was great back then but now, I find it pretty dated compared to that DMC3 trailer which is pretty much timeless !

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Annndddd
The programmers of MvC I and SF 5 are from different companies.
Which means they have different skills, and that is very obvious when you compare both games...

There are numerous factors that may have played a role in MvC:I turning out like it did. It doesn't have to mean that Capcom programmers were unable to work the UE4's ass properly. Besides, even if they were, DMCV will have a different dev team, and they'll have had time to train staff in using it. At any rate, Capcom has excellent programmers. Always had. I find it hard to believe they couldn't get the most out of UE4 while Simps did.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If people want the apolitical Ninja Scroll Dante who eats pizza all day and calls a demonic clone of his dead mother "babe" all day back... I don't really feel great about the sexual politics of DMC Classic (because they kind of objectively suck)
Were you just as bothered by this, by any chance?
Also, pretty sure that Donte wasn't established as bisexual in DmC (no, NT just did what they could to make him look cool by having him sleep with as many women as possible).

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
I'll take classic DMC's sexual politics over DmC's.

Also Dante only ever called Trish in DMC1, and that was Kamiya.

I think there are problems in DmC (the threesome and the cut "as am [your bitch]" line. But Vergil is pretty clearly a dangerous misogynist/spot on Julian Assange parody, so I don't feel stuff like Lilith getting sniped in the gut reflects misogynistic intent by the work as a whole.

As Ninja Theory observed, Original Recipe Dante is kind of absurd. He's basically an adolescent power fantasy who lives in a world where people don't really do bad things and the answer to any crisis is to go apeshit on Satan with a broadsword. I found him charming enough to beat DMC3 and watch the anime, but he's not a person I can relate to in any way and if he existed in real life he'd be genuinely harmful. By the end of DmC, New Dante is a genuinely respectable character. The shots DmC takes at DMC are 100% totally earned, the way it subverts the cod-Shakespear of the original games with the fuck you contest is incredibly refreshing. The original DMC games have weird writing! It doesn't mean they're calling the original games shit, they're just pointing out they're only easily relatable from the perspective of anime fandom... and that's punk.

Now Danime returns and Ninja Theory are apparently critical darlings who can keep making games on their own terms, so everyone's a winner.

Also I thought the combos were fun

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

DmC is far more sexist and crass than any DMC, I don't even know how that would be a point of contention.

There has never been a character that has been so removed of agency as Kat is. A minor plot contrivance that was spit back immediately : "hmmmm should we kill her ? Should we let her be shot to death ? She's human, so useless waaaaaah so edgy"

The other character ? Shot in the navel as an abortion procedure by marksman Vergil.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
There are numerous factors that may have played a role in MvC:I turning out like it did. It doesn't have to mean that Capcom programmers were unable to work the UE4's ass properly. Besides, even if they were, DMCV will have a different dev team, and they'll have had time to train staff in using it. At any rate, Capcom has excellent programmers. Always had. I find it hard to believe they couldn't get the most out of UE4 while Simps did.

Let's pray... :(

Yeah. And they both use UE4. Different developers will use the engine as best they can.
LOL.
That is exactly my point

Status
Not open for further replies.