• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The way I see it is good-bad-great

DMC1 (good) - DMC2 - DMC3 (Great)
DMC4 (good) - DmC - DMCV(Great)
triple-h-nod.gif

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
DmC was competent, there is no pattern.

DMC was revolutionary, DMC2 was dumpster fire tier, DMC3 is as close to perfect I think a game has ever came and DMC4 was a little underbaked.

Or in other terms: DMC-S, DMC2-D, DMC3-SSS, DMC4-S or A with a near complete bar, DmC-B.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither were placeholders.

Onimusha 2, was in simultaneous development with Warlords, by a second team headed by Eshiro and both projects overseen by Inafune. DMC2 went into full development during the western localisation of the original, without Kamiya's Team Little Devils or Itsuno and his core team (CPS4). There were a handful of his staff who joined the team very late during it's development to help with QA as it was in absolute shambles and Itsuno was one of them, and took the bad name. 3 (and 3SE) was in his complete control right from pre-production and ultimately, his redemption as (then and now) a legendary action game designer/developer and not just another one of capcom's fighting game gods.

A slightly similar modern example would be the transition from the 2009/2010 interns at KojiPro developed Metal Gear Solid: Rising's "What will you cut?" development hell to Metal Gear Rising, after Kojima met the PlatinumGames (ironically) staff at their HQ and finalized the proceedings.
Very informative post. I always wondered about that situacion, thanks for the details.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could basically argue that there are 4 different Dantes out there, DMC1 Dante is his own thing (at least according to Kamiya?), DMC2 is pretty much considered by Capcom and the fans as his own weird thing, reboot DmC Dante and DMC3/DMC4/DMC5 Dante.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the pattern is that, like any good DMC boss, every time DMC itself looks to be dead, it just comes back stronger. DMC2 seemed like the end of the world until DMC3 came out and made everything OK again. Then DMC4 was the start of a slump, and DmC even lower, until a decade later when all seems lost, DMCV comes and takes its rightful place as the hypest, big-dickin'-est, most motivated, SSStylishest muhfuh'in' video game ever made by human hands.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the pattern is that, like any good DMC boss, every time DMC itself looks to be dead, it just comes back stronger. DMC2 seemed like the end of the world until DMC3 came out and made everything OK again. Then DMC4 was the start of a slump, and DmC even lower, until a decade later when all seems lost, DMCV comes and takes its rightful place as the hypest, big-dickin'-est, most motivated, SSStylishest muhfuh'in' video game ever made by human hands.
Itsuno is god, though.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The Phoenix of gaming.

At the very least, Dante and Co have been well represented UMVC3, Project X Zone and MVCI (graphics aside)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if this week marks Capcom's triumphal return thanks to a new Mega Man game, DMC V and the MH Worlds beta?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think you played DMC correctly if you think that. DMC 2 wasn't a horrible game by any means, but it's so braindead. Ihad my little brother just keep pressing square, and I still won most of the encounters.
I used only guns in DMC2. You can literally shoot everything to death.

When I was younger, I did prefer the second one because it was easier. I didn't come to appreciate the intricacies of the combat until the third game. I then went back and found the first game was a lot better than the second because of the mechanics. Though I still feel the first is the most difficult in the series.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Found this ancient trailer for DMC1 - No red overcoat either, just waistcoat and trousers.

Get ready for Summer 2001!

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
DmC was a good game imo,i had a lot of fun with it.
I ignore all the tiny details(angel demon hybrid,cringe-worthy dialogue,ruining Vergil) and take a macro view of the story.
Just a prequel to dmc3,showing how dante got the white hair,started to hunt demons,the origin of Dante vs Vergil,why the earth is overrun by demons,the family drama with Mundus and why Vergil is power hungry.
It did a fairly better job at explaining things than 3 in some way,which was kinda confusing for a supposedly origin story game.Why is the world already attacked by demons? Why these 2 dudes hate each other so much? etc

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need to pick up DmC Special Edition.

You know I still would like a crossover between the two series one day.

Also please no revisiting levels in 5. If it's replaying the game as a new character fine but none of that DMC4 Dante BS.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Three things people will remember DmC's Vergil

1) He has a bigger dick
2) He drives the Vergil-Mobile with a big V on it
3) He loves abortions, can't get enough of it
Those do sound familiar... Sheesh. Can't believe he's even real, hahaha.

Man, I loved the game, but so much of it just felt... Trashy. Vergil certainly didn't help.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
All that DMC2 talk in the last page made me go into YouTube to watch all the cutscenes and see what the story's about. Skipped ahead a few times, then started feeling like i've already beaten it before. Finally skipped all the way to the end, and yup, i've already beaten it before. Even went to my trophy list, I have the trophy for beating it, Dante's side.

You'd think for sure you'd actually remember beating a game.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Since everyone is ranking the games:

DMC1: SSS (Legendary)
DMC2: F (what the fuck were they thinking)
DMC3: SS (Series redeemed)
DMC4: S (series confirmed great)
dmc : A (i hated the trailers and reveals but enjoyed the game greatly).

Now bring the fucking Fifth game without DLC bullshit please.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since everyone is ranking the games:

DMC1: SSS (Legendary)
DMC2: F (what the fuck were they thinking)
DMC3: SS (Series redeemed)
DMC4: S (series confirmed great)
dmc : A (i hated the trailers and reveals but enjoyed the game greatly).

Now bring the fucking Fifth game without DLC bullshit please.
Why no DLCs? You'd rather them develop the base game and that's about i? I wouldn't mind a story expansion myself.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All that DMC2 talk in the last page made me go into YouTube to watch all the cutscenes and see what the story's about. Skipped ahead a few times, then started feeling like i've already beaten it before. Finally skipped all the way to the end, and yup, i've already beaten it before. Even went to my trophy list, I have the trophy for beating it, Dante's side.

You'd think for sure you'd actually remember beating a game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repressed_memory

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It did a fairly better job at explaining things than 3 in some way,which was kinda confusing for a supposedly origin story game.Why is the world already attacked by demons? Why these 2 dudes hate each other so much? etc

I don't think DMC3 was ever billed as an origin story, but it does answer all those questions all the same. Vergil wants power because he was too weak to be able to protect his mother. The city is overrun with demons because Vergil and Arkham raised a giant hell tower right in the middle of it (and, on a general level, there just are demons everywhere in OG DMC lore. Dante literally makes his living fighting them). Dante and Vergil don't get along because they have totally opposite ideologies and personalities, which is pretty evident in basically every scene they share.

DmC is a very 'tell don't show' kind of game, where characters will literally just say their backstories and motivations to eachother in plain English to move the plot along, but even then it tells its story pretty badly. Vergil isn't power hungry in that game; he's little more than Dante's Otacon until he suddenly starts using superpowers in the last couple of missions, The final twist that this dorky hacktivist not only wants to rule the world, but is actually surprised that Dante isn't right there with him, like he thought that was the implied plan all along, is so out of left-field for the character they wrote in that game; it only really makes sense if you're already familiar with the old DMC games and you know the two brothers are supposed to fight at the end.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Found this ancient trailer for DMC1 - No red overcoat either, just waistcoat and trousers.

Get ready for Summer 2001!

It's great watching old trailers and seeing how the final game turned out, would have been so bad to fight Griffon in the chapel. That's still my favourite room in the entire series though, cool music and the trees pulsating give it atmosphere the rest of the series couldn't match.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say combos have different effects on different enemies. Some get wicked weaves out quicker than others, and the slower ones tend to deal more damage. The feeling you describe isn't something I feel with devil may cry as the options at your disposal are plentiful enough to make use of, while maintaining style I increase. Perhaps it's simply a different view. I have a clear bias towards devil may Cry, but as you say they are different and needn't be the same. The focus of each games systems is different, and variety is s great thing for any genre.

No the thing I'm talking about in Bayonetta is how different combos put enemies in different "states" of vulnerability. There are some enemies you can only stunlock by using very specific combos. Most players have no idea about this though and just try to optimize their dodge offset into wicked weaves, which can make it seems like some enemies (Gracious & Glorious) have very little openings when in fact you just have to know how to create those openings. Either way, the game is pretty bad at teaching you any of this and its damn hard to figure out on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.