• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
This was just shared in the Guilty Gear discord. I just traced it with google and didn't seem to find any sources besides the KOF reddit and a 4chan thread. This art of Raiden also doesn't exist anywhere else.
UHDsxp5.png

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
That would be legit awsome.
The current 3d models on XIV look so plain and boring.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A cel-shaded look would be befitting to KOF in my opinion, I don't think SNK has the man power to make a realistic lighting engine look appealing and SamSho looked way better with its stylized approach. KOFXV going the stylized route would be for the best, especially since it'd be a better call-back to their impressionable sprite work.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
1) This is extremely old

2) This is a 2D artwork

3) The source is the official website. Of a 2D artist showing him work on his stuff.

Lock the thread.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A cel-shaded look would be befitting to KOF in my opinion, I don't think SNK has the man power to make a realistic lighting engine look appealing and SamSho looked way better with its stylized approach. KOFXV going the stylized route would be for the best, especially since it'd be a better call-back to their impressionable sprite work.
Plus this could help usher in the return of Kim's legendary pants.

kim-kofxii-stance2.gif

Because this is a 2D artist that doesn't do 3D.
Ah, I see.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless I would like to see this pic...

Of course.

9c2de232f0ebe2f990c3e885a24282ca923d08a0r1-552-310v2_hq.jpg

This was confirmed to be fan made for a Dancing sim that I forgot the name of.

And this is the origin of the Raiden pic :

A drawing artist at SNK.

Now that being said, maybe the will to make it look more "gamey" is reflective of KOFXV's style.

I would still expect a Dead or Alive-like style for KOF XV over those cell shaded styles. Which remains an improvement over XIV.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Of course.

9c2de232f0ebe2f990c3e885a24282ca923d08a0r1-552-310v2_hq.jpg

This was confirmed to be fan made for a Dancing sim that I forgot the name of.

And this is the origin of the Raiden pic :

A drawing artist at SNK.

Now that being said, maybe the will to make it look more "gamey" is reflective of KOFXV's style.

I would still expect a Dead or Alive-like style for KOF XV over those cell shaded styles. Which remains an improvement over XIV.
Alright so this possiblity just popped up in my head.

What it could be is that they are doing sprites again, but this time they're drawn like Skullgirls or something. Or they are using 3D models and using 2D shading techniques to make the textures

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

What it could be is that they are doing sprites again, but this time they're drawn like Skullgirls or something. Or they are using 3D models and using 2D shading techniques to make the textures

Lol.

They are not.
They're using 3D models and unreal engine 4. They stated as much. They also said they learned a lot about modeling and effects working on Samsho and it would carry over XV.

edit :

Also, I don't like how Samsho looks that great as far as characters go, and I think KOF XIV was a better base.

e4f0a2e87b59861500cc89fa1083da18.jpg

This really doesn't need a ton to look good. Remake some faces / hair, add UE4 material to clothes, instantly your stuff is gonna look a lot better...

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019

After XIII underperforming basically forced them to just do mobile and pachinko for years, they're never going back to sprites.

I'm waiting for the collective breakdown when they announce a new Metal Slug.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
After XIII underperforming basically forced them to just do mobile and pachinko for years, they're never going back to sprites.

Lol.

They are not.
They're using 3D models and unreal engine 4. They stated as much. They also said they learned a lot about modeling and effects working on Samsho and it would carry over XV.

edit :

Also, I don't like how Samsho looks that great as far as characters go, and I think KOF XIV was a better base.

e4f0a2e87b59861500cc89fa1083da18.jpg

This really doesn't need a ton to look good. Remake some faces / hair, add UE4 material to clothes, instantly your stuff is gonna look a lot better...
Fair enough. I just really want to try and make some connection they could somehow lead to XV looking something at least similar to the pic posted. Because I really would like it to look like the cel shaded style and if it doesn't then I'll definitely lose a lot of interest in it.

Also Slaythe gotta say I really disagree with you on SamSho and KOF lol. I think SamSho looks incredible and I absolutely loathe the way XIV looks

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder this is Kula's KoF14 model with better shading and lighting

Some faces would obviously need to be remade but if they choose to the stuff they created for KoF14 is certainly usable and can be improved on

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

False, like we discussed before, XIII was a success and was the reason they revived the team to make XIV. In the series' ranks it's up there with 98 and 2002.

2D isn't happening because it's too expensive, time consuming and they can't find enough artists that can work at that level (which slows things down even further).

Just recently Kuroki (director of the new SamSho, designer of Rock etc.) said in an interview that it would take about 10 years to make the kind of 2D fighter he wants to make.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this has been around for a while but it could be legit. I hope it is, at least. That shot of Raiden looks dope af.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla 14

a94694d06bae66519ac8b9266055c467.jpg

Updated 14

071259e3c41804ccb778be5fc87ae462.jpg

XIV models ported into SFV 1:1

c46623015b40324dd329b8b5f33ab5ca.jpg

Yeah this has been around for a while but it could be legit. I hope it is, at least. That shot of Raiden looks dope af.

It's a 2D artwork.

Fair enough. I just really want to try and make some connection they could somehow lead to XV looking something at least similar to the pic posted. Because I really would like it to look like the cel shaded style and if it doesn't then I'll definitely lose a lot of interest in it.

Also Slaythe gotta say I really disagree with you on SamSho and KOF lol. I think SamSho looks incredible and I absolutely loathe the way XIV looks

kazuki_kazma-620x350.png

I can't stand how this looks. I hate the proportions, I hate the faces etc...

Yuck. The effects and camera work is great though.

Reminder this is Kula's KoF14 model with better shading and lighting

Some faces would obviously need to be remade but if they choose to the stuff they created for KoF14 is certainly usable and can be improved on

Yup faces and hair is what needs to be reworked but the rest is solid, especially when you can apply UE4 material easily.

Animations can also be salvaged because the key poses are all good. What is off in XIV is timing and impact, which isn't the actual 3D modeling. (And they outdid themselves with a few characters like Rock)

Status
Not open for further replies.