• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Brought to my attention by LLien from the place that shall not be named

An artificial intelligence (AI) will deliberately tamper with your online gameplay as you scramble for more in-game items to win. The same AI will manipulate your state of mind at every step of your game to guide you towards more micro-transactions. Nothing in-game is truly fixed-rate. The game maps out your home, and cross-references it with your online footprint, to have a socio-economic picture of you, so the best possible revenue model, and anti buyer's remorse strategy can be implemented on you. These, and more, are part of the dystopian nightmare that takes flight if a new AI-powered online game revenue model is implemented in MMO games of the near future.

The paper's slide-deck and signed papers (with corrections) were leaked to the web by an unknown source, with bits of information (names, brands) redacted. It has too much information to be dismissed off hand for being a prank. It proposes leveraging AI to gather and build a socio-economic profile of a player to implement the best revenue-generation strategy. It also proposes using an AI to consistently "alter" the player's gameplay, such that the player's actions don't have the desired result leading toward beating the game, but towards an "unfair" consequence that motivates more in-game spending. The presentation spans a little over 50 slides, and is rich in text that requires little further explanation.

Source and leaked slides featuring *drumroll* Anthem as an example

You'll all be wishing soon the government would regulate this.

Last edited:

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I strongly think this was created by someone just to spread on the internet. So I take it with a huge grain of salt.

Edit: I initially saw it on reddit.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should be shocked but really that just sounds so fascinating. I'm an IT guy so new advances in technology just amaze me.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Has anything in this been actually verified? There was a thread on it over the weekend, and it's just from a random 4chan poster.

e: lol apparently I'm not the first person to say this

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like some future dystopia that we're probably years from really experiencing.

However, I can see EA's erection from here after they saw this.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Just reading the words social engineering and psychological manipulation tactics makes me wanna vomit.

Sadly, these things are an unfortunate reality not just in this industry.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just reading the words social engineering and psychological manipulation tactics makes me wanna vomit.

Sadly, these things are an unfortunate reality not just in this industry.

Arguably almost everything around you from product design to advertising to clothing are 'psychological manipulation tactics'. Usually involving social engineering, laterally, too.

But hey, in before lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.