• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Apparently MHW performed extremely well on PC, outselling even the PS4 version in the west + Asia.

With Japan, PS4 is the leading platform of course

Iceborne despite being late as well performed better on PC in EU, NA and Asia.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently there's a mistake in those Iceborne numbers. 2559k is the total number for PS4 Japan + Asia, of which 792k come from outside Japan.

The PC performance is nothing short of amazing considering it was a delayed launch.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Not just a late port but the launch was a borderline disaster. Servers weren't stable until weeks later and people experienced performance issues and crashes.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that knew about Monster Hunter and the PC landscape could have told them it would be a hit on PC if they launched there mainline games (not the f2p versions that are much worse). Still impressive they are close in NA and EU even while being treated like a secondary launch, with a pretty big delay, shit launch, and a long time to get updates...

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I double-dipped on PC from PS4, and downloaded it on Series X last night from Gamepass. Gimme all the platforms Day 1 Capcom

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, was bamboozled by these numbers as well. I hope that means they'll offer a better PC version next time, World was/is sort of a mess.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved. My GOTG.
I know a lot of people who bought it on ps4 first and then switched to pc. So people saying the numbers would've been higher if pc version released same day might not be true. Either way, amazing numbers. Literally cant wait for MHW2 on my PS5!

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting stats. I wonder what the revenue of each platform is like. Also, I'm sure glad that the series finally left handhelds for PC.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. PC gaming is really popular in Asia. Internet Cafe is one of the most popular hangout spots for a reason. A lot of people go there and play CS or MP games together.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok, then I'm mightily impressed just how close they are. Thought PS4 would be significantly ahead of PC outside of Asia. Not much in it really. PC gaming alive and well it seems.
Monster Hunter is basically a game in a genre and style that really caters to PC gamers. It is the same with Dark Souls-style games, they will sell great on PC.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok, then I'm mightily impressed just how close they are. Thought PS4 would be significantly ahead of PC outside of Asia. Not much in it really. PC gaming alive and well it seems.
It's not that close? ~35% of total sales were on PC (5.9m of 16.9m), which is about what you'd expect.

35% PC (5.9m)
51% PS4 (8.7m)
14% Xbox (2.4m)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Yep MHW is one of those PC games being played here (together with various F2P multiplayer games) in the Philippines. Popularity came from the PSP era I suppose.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
That's what I was thinking. Or did MHW not have a release in China? PC is the big "system" there.

MHW was supposed to have an "official release" thanks to Tencent via WePlay, their own platform, but something happened and the game was not available there, but people were able to buy the game from Steam directly.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Also why Rise is releasing on PC. A low-spec PC MH game will basically print money in these regions.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Love how they fucked PC players with DMC release. Capcom are fools
That makes this shit all the more annoying. Capcom still treating PC users like second class citizens no matter what. Matt Walker's current excuse for DMCV:SE not being on PC is COVID (according to some hints he dropped on twitter), but I'm willing to bet it will never come to PC, just like how DmC:DE never did either.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
These numbers make me so happy. PC gaming is the strongest it has ever been and good sales of japanese games are a testament to that.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I know the secret behind monster hunters massive PC sales

PC players will know I mean
maxresdefault.jpg

You can't convince me this wasn't a genius marketing move by Capcom

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Title is a bit misleading as I thought Japan is part of Asia and I got really shocked lmao(I mean Japan is part of asia right?)

When it comes to business regions, typically no. The realities of releasing a game in Japan are much different that releasing a game in China.

Asia as a sales region typically means China and Korea, at least with video games.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to business regions, typically no. The realities of releasing a game in Japan are much different that releasing a game in China.

Asia as a sales region typically means China and Korea, at least with video games.
You are forgetting SEA (Indonesia, Philippines, Malasyia, Thailand, Singapore, ... ) which is a big region for Gaming. India is the one that tends to be put separately.

Edit: Though technically nowadays, some companies separate China from the rest of "Asia" given the differences to enter the market (they normally have to partner with a Chinese company) and the size of it creating its own "uniqueness".

Nov 2, 2017
I knew the PC version sold well but I think it's kind of crazy that PC nonJP > PS4 nonJP, especially given that the PC version launched 7 months later.

It's not that close? ~35% of total sales were on PC (5.9m of 16.9m), which is about what you'd expect.

35% PC (5.9m)
51% PS4 (8.7m)
14% Xbox (2.4m)
I wonder how those percentages would look if you'd compare them launch alligned. While I think the PS4 would still be higher than PC they'd probably be pretty close.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That's great. Hope Rise's PC launch will be more stable than World's and IB's though. They were a little rough.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
[
I knew the PC version sold well but I think it's kind of crazy that PC nonJP > PS4 nonJP, especially given that the PC version launched 7 months later.

I wonder how those percentages would look if you'd compare them launch alligned. While I think the PS4 would still be higher than PC they'd probably be pretty close.

Would it not be the other way around, i.e. the gap would possibly be larger? I might be incorrect, but my assumption is that PC games typically have longer tails than console, but where sales totals are otherwise the same, that means a smaller opening.