• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Was the Capaldi stuff any good? I stopped watching during the second Matt Smith season I think and saw that pretty much everything is on Prime
He's a fantastic Doctor. As for his seasons, I think 8, his debut one, is on the lower end of new Who but I thought 9 and 10 were pretty good stuff. The only series I properly put on a pedestal is 5 though, I feel like the rest of them all have similar ups and downs, RTD or Moffat.

(You say you stopped watching with Matt Smith though, and he's probably my favourite Doctor. So I dunno how much our tastes align.)

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Oh that's the doctor all right. Random body part mention, frantic as fuck because of the regeneration, all things that can be expressed by an actor or actress, Gender doesn't play a role, just the quality of their acting. And its mighty fine.

BTW, its hilarious that the fake sonic from months ago people where fussing about because it looked like a sonic dildo more than a sonic screwdriver is somehow LESS phallic than the new one. Just, holy shit guys, why the hell does it have that shape?

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were a lot of Doctor Who episodes about the Doctor during that era. I liked some but I hope they keep things simple out of the gate.
It's a new showrunner; they're generally a more significant soft reboot than a new doctor; think of the transition between The End Of Time (Last RTD episode) and The Eleventh Hour (First Moffat one)
New showrunner/crew now so it's basically going to be a soft reboot.

Neat.

Now I just need to repress the memory of all the overblown stuff that's gone on in the previous series.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I hope that UNIT and Kate Stewart Return. There's no reason not to have them back unless they give some sort of reason why UNIT aren't around

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... so this still hasn't aired yet? Seems like it's been years since she was announced as the new doctor. I thought all this time there was a back log building up for me to consume.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Oh that's the doctor all right. Random body part mention, frantic as fuck because of the regeneration, all things that can be expressed by an actor or actress, Gender doesn't play a role, just the quality of their acting. And its mighty fine.

BTW, its hilarious that the fake sonic from months ago people where fussing about because it looked like a sonic dildo more than a sonic screwdriver is somehow LESS phallic than the new one. Just, holy shit guys, why the hell does it have that shape?

She's great already!

But yeah, uh, not sure about that new sonic...

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
He's a fantastic Doctor. As for his seasons, I think 8, his debut one, is on the lower end of new Who but I thought 9 and 10 were pretty good stuff. The only series I properly put on a pedestal is 5 though, I feel like the rest of them all have similar ups and downs, RTD or Moffat.

(You say you stopped watching with Matt Smith though, and he's probably my favourite Doctor. So I dunno how much our tastes align.)
I don't even remember why I quit watching. I probably missed a few episodes, didn't record them, and just never went back.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

Given the goggles, I'm going to have a hunch she cobbled it together - which may possibly mean it's not permanent, although she could well get attached.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could get into this series, it seems like it must be good, but I can't even get myself to start.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... so this still hasn't aired yet? Seems like it's been years since she was announced as the new doctor. I thought all this time there was a back log building up for me to consume.

It was announced during the Wimbledon Men's final last year, so it's coming up to the 1 year anniversary. Broadcast date is likely to be September/October.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Given the goggles, I'm going to have a hunch she cobbled it together - which may possibly mean it's not permanent, although she could well get attached.
Sure, I like that we are getting an actual building montage or whatever instead of the TARDIS shitting one out for the doctor, nice change of pace. But even as a temporary build, I hope its very temporary. It is good to know that she might have to build one herself, that means thar they are likely going full build up for this regen, ie no TARDIS to shit out a sonic likely means she won't have her box for a couple of eps, and then like 3 or 4 eps in she gets her full arsenal. Or at least I hope that's their angle, would be freaking great.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine. It seems like she's sort of doing an impression of recent docs but it always takes a new doctor a little while to sort of find their own way so I'm not bothered, it's a start. She'll get there in time.

Was the Capaldi stuff any good? I stopped watching during the second Matt Smith season I think and saw that pretty much everything is on Prime

Capaldi himself was always good, but I thought his first couple seasons were a bit mediocre overall (but with a couple HIGH highs). It wasn't until his third/final that I felt like the pieces all really came together for him.

Last edited:

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I don't even remember why I quit watching. I probably missed a few episodes, didn't record them, and just never went back.

Ah okay. Well, I don't think either series 6 or 7 match Matt's first season but there's plenty of stuff there I adore, so I hope you give those another shot too if you have the time. You did miss out on the 50th Anniversary special, that was pretty exciting.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The production schedule for Doctor Who has been a mess for the last few years. It's almost a year since the announcement.

Yeah I'm gonna be honest if your season's going to be eight episodes or whatever then I wouldn't be against the Netflix model. At least then I'd know "Okay, once a year." But with DW it always feels like the season's just getting started and then it's ending, then it's a freaking eternity to the next season.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That was great. Capaldi will be a tough act to follow, especially since his last season was so strong but goddamn I hope she pulls it off.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited for this. I was a big fan of Moffat's stuff but a proper reboot and new showrunner will breathe real new life into this season. Whittaker seems like she'll nail the part judging from the clip.

OP
OP
Proteus

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah I'm gonna be honest if your season's going to be eight episodes or whatever then I wouldn't be against the Netflix model. At least then I'd know "Okay, once a year." But with DW it always feels like the season's just getting started and then it's ending, then it's a freaking eternity to the next season.
Usually 12-13 episodes and now down to 10 (I'm not sure if that includes the Christmas Special). At least the episodes are now longer.

But yeah, I want more consistency in when the broadcast their seasons. I think that ultimately hurt them over the course of the last few years.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
His first season is fantastic. His other two are a little more inconsistent but generally good to great for the most part, and better than Smith's last two seasons. I also think Capaldi himself is brilliant and multifaceted in the role, and his dynamic with Clara is the most interesting Doctor-companion relationship imo though that's not something I picked up on all that well until rewatch.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could get into this series, it seems like it must be good, but I can't even get myself to start.

Honestly, just starting with the new series in October would be the best place to start, since that way there's not a huge time investment. You can always watch the older ones later.

The conventional wisdom is to either start with Series 1 (the 2005 revival of the show) or Series 5.

Series 1 is low budget and feels like a 90s kids TV show and it takes about a half season to get its footing. But the show consistently gets better from there over the next couple series.

Series 5 is great and looks good, but it's arguably the peak of the show. Series 6/7 aren't as good and the Calpaldi series (8-10)aren't consistent either.

I generally find the show entertaining and a breeze to watch outside of a couple handfuls of episodes, so I enjoyed catching up when I started before Series 8 aired but your mileage may vary.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wish they would release a full trailer. Feels like it's been ages since we had more Doctor Who. At any rate the clip looked decent for what it was. Cool to see something after waiting for so long. Hope series 11 is good!

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please keep in mind this clip is likely from the first episode in which The Doctor will still be acting frazzled due to having just regenerated.

I like her. A lot.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, just starting with the new series in October would be the best place to start, since that way there's not a huge time investment. You can always watch the older ones later.

The conventional wisdom is to either start with Series 1 (the 2005 revival of the show) or Series 5.

Series 1 is low budget and feels like a 90s kids TV show and it takes about a half season to get its footing. But the show consistently gets better from there over the next couple series.

Series 5 is great and looks good, but it's arguably the peak of the show. Series 6/7 aren't as good and the Calpaldi series (8-10)aren't consistent either.

I generally find the show entertaining and a breeze to watch outside of a couple handfuls of episodes, so I enjoyed catching up when I started before Series 8 aired but your mileage may vary.
Thanks, saving this and I'll follow your advice.

Oct 25, 2017
Good clip. It will obviously take time for her to settle on what her Doctor is like, but that was a promising start and you can see her taking command of the scene.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Twitch Marathon has got me Hyped for Dr Who again, just last night I was looking for the dates of Jodies series Start but found nothing.

I wish I could meet her or see her film, if indeed they are still filming here in South wales

I had a chance to meet Matt Smith & Karen Gillan as they were introducing them to fans at a mini meet n greet thing, I saw the Tardis and Cyberman and a few monsters, but I quit before Matt and Karen came back as they were on a break and it was raining, I deeply regret that to this day, I was sTill meh over losing Tennant, oh well at least I have a photo of the Tardis and Monsters somewhere on one of my Hard Drives.

Also odd thing I remembered on a works xmas party in 2004 there was a lifesize Dalek outside a restaurant in Swansea, I took a photo of it and thought nothing of it, I do wonder now if it was a prop left out, as back in dec 04 I wasn't even aware russel T davies was bringing back Dr Who and filming here in wales

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
She's perfect so far. Hopefully the script is good enough to match.

pLFtnCG.jpg

I see Bondara is making sonic screwdrivers now. Good god who OK'd that design.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
His first season is fantastic. His other two are a little more inconsistent but generally good to great for the most part, and better than Smith's last two seasons. I also think Capaldi himself is brilliant and multifaceted in the role, and his dynamic with Clara is the most interesting Doctor-companion relationship imo though that's not something I picked up on all that well until rewatch.

I think Season 9 is his strongest because it leans so heavily into the toxic/beneficial dynamic of his relationship with Clara. Bill on the other hand is more of a back to basics companion and there's less real relationship to mine there, no matter how much Moffat wanted to make us think there was.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'm excited for her to come aboard I'm more excited for a fresh creative crew to come on and inject fresh blood. Moffat stayed on too long it seems and he started to run out of juice.

Capaldi was probably the best actor to ever play the Doctor but sadly had some of the least memorable storylines.

Heaven Sent however, is my favorite episode ever.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Usually 12-13 episodes and now down to 10 (I'm not sure if that includes the Christmas Special). At least the episodes are now longer.

But yeah, I want more consistency in when the broadcast their seasons. I think that ultimately hurt them over the course of the last few years.
I really hate the DW broadcasts schedule. Every so often I'm like "oh yeah, when is Doctor Who coming back?" and then I see its been off the air for a year. Two seasons a year, one in the spring/fall would be really great.

If they went to the Netflix model that'd be fine but they should talk about it more instead of waiting and waiting.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. A one minute clip and I'm already hyped.

Totally a fake leak, though. Too conveniently ends on a badass stinger.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Jodi.
I'd imagine that they are probably getting clips ready for SDCC which makes them easier to get leaked

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Doctor having accents from all over the UK has always bothered me, but I'll live. Just based off this clip alone she's gonna be great. Biologeh.

Only hope Chibnall can be just as good, his Who episodes have just been "good"/alright at best.
Heaven Sent however, is my favorite episode ever.
Heaven Sent is fucking incredible.

Last edited: