• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I was on spyder monkey's side in this argument not too long ago although ERA argued with me like they are on this thread, I will say that one difference between the equivalences you guys are making (violence in other movies/video games) is that the joker is already specifically worshipped by those types of people and now this story is from his point of view as the protagonist.

We still don't know how the movie goes/ends (for the most part anyway) so who knows what the end result will be. im justifying it now by saying that because they already worship him this movie will not tip anyone over to his side more than they already are and hopefully thats the case.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most definitely implied it

So you blaming Nolan and heath ledger now ? We should limit art ? Censor movies because some nuts are Nuts ? Where is the line ?
The line is expect to receive some criticism if you make a movie that tries to paint a murderous villain as sympathetic using dialogue straight from incel hate boards.

No one is calling for "censorship" here. But god damn, this movie is going to get some criticism. Judging from that first clip, it will be well deserved.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jesus, did not expect this tone. This is going to be insane.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
You're not really answering the questions people are asking you. Interesting.

Joker has had since 1940 to inspire, lol. A new Joker movie releasing now won't be any different, most people seem to love violence and gore, there's no other way around it. John Wick kills a million people and people are celebrating it, keeping track of the bodies he stacks up across 3 movies and making lists about "which main character is more badass?" based on body count.
What question? I said the twist and story are bad. Phoenix is good.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
....Honestly I think the second clip (first clip not so much) put me off from watching the movie.

I think that it's too much for me. I get that people love movies that don't hold back and stuff but watching this made me realize I just don't agree. I don't know. I'm being too soft I know. I just wasnt comfortable. And I know that that's the point, but I was uncomfortable enough to second guess watching this.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is definitely R-rated. Way beyond "Logan" R-rated.

Children legit should not be watching this.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a clip floating around from the Premiere on Reddit and Twitter, so we should probably have a thread to discuss it.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1171058781062651905/pu/vid/720x1280/Ie9iUTwyPVd07oJm.mp4

Fucking hell. One of the most uncomfortable things I have seen in a movie.

Edit: Second leaked video

mb nsfw tags

Deleted member 59245

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
It's not being conservative to be like "hey, maybe it's not a good idea to have the protagonist of a major motion picture be a psychotic murderer that the audience is supposed to sympathize with".
Are you supposed to sympathize with him? Because I don't.

Do you have to sympathize with the protagonist of a story? Hell no. This is a really ignorant thought process. A main character doesn't have to be a hero.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Are you supposed to sympathize with him? Because I don't.

Do you have to sympathize with the protagonist of a story? Hell no. This is a really ignorant thought process. A main character doesn't have to be a hero.

Unfortunately, there are way too many shitty people in the world who will sympathize with him. We've already seen it before, and it's just going to get worse in a movie about a man being "mistreated by the world" so much that he snaps.

The Joker never should've had a movie like this made about him.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The leaked script and story makes this movie seem really bad imo.
I saw a screening of this last week.

source.gif

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think imo the people afraid this will inspire incels are afraid of incels. They legitimize their views by saying they will think this. Why the hell would you care what they think they are crazy

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They're showing violence, but not showing it in tight detail. The camera is far away, or cuts a second before a big impact, so your brain fills in the blanks and makes it even worse. It is both good acting, and amazing direction. But I still worry the full script does not match up to those top tier talents

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please point to where I said Nolan, Ledger and The Dark Knight caused Aurora.

That wasn't the point. Just that we need to treat a character like the Joker a lot more cautiously because we live in a society where right-wing white supremacist terrorists use the Joker as a point of sympathy. Giving a character like the Joker a platform where he can spiel a bunch of soundbites people like potential mass shooters can sympathize with even if it's unintentional and for the sake of drama is dangerous coming off real life tradgedies like this. Of course the writers don't do this intentionally, and violent movies don't cause shootings, I've said as much elsewhere but that one clip has me thinking that Todd Phillips should've read the room a bit more considering a lot of these tragedies like Aurora weren't too long ago.

I think what pisses me off the most though is a movie about a violent but sympathetic white man is getting Oscar buzz but if you made a similar movie but with a black man Trump would cry to shut it down and the rest of the world would go along with it.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
the one thing about this movie is so far I really don't like how it looks. Maybe its the lighting?

Nov 1, 2017
People that do bad things no matter what justification they use are in the end to blame for anything they do. Books, movies, songs, video games, these things get scapegoated enough but when it comes down to it, it's the person. And the truth is anything can set off a random person. Just like fear can make people worry and panic like they're doing here. If someone acts it's because of who they are. Not this movie. Not the next game or the next song or the next movie either. It's all about choices when it comes down to it.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Please point to where I said Nolan, Ledger and The Dark Knight caused Aurora.

That wasn't the point. Just that we need to treat a character like the Joker a lot more cautiously because we live in a society where right-wing white supremacist terrorists use the Joker as a point of sympathy. Giving a character like the Joker a platform where he can spiel a bunch of soundbites people like potential mass shooters can sympathize with even if it's unintentional and for the sake of drama is dangerous coming off real life tradgedies like this. Of course the writers don't do this intentionally, and violent movies don't cause shootings, I've said as much elsewhere but that one clip has me thinking that Todd Phillips should've read the room a bit more considering a lot of these tragedies like Aurora weren't too long ago.

I think what pisses me off the most though is a movie about a violent but sympathetic white man is getting Oscar buzz but if you made a similar movie but with a black man Trump would cry to shut it down and the rest of the world would go along with it.

Are you afraid of incels and what their view is ?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Acting looks great, but it still makes me uncomfortable. I know, some of y'all will defend this no matter what and that's cool. At the same time, y'all should understand why this subject makes some of us uneasy in this day and age. It's not the fact that he's a villian and killing people. It's just that they choose to make him a loser who blames everyone else for his problems so he starts killing folks. And the fact that he's "inspires" others.

Would've been so much better if he was just a normal dude with a family, good job, whatever, who wanted some excitement so he decided to go all American Psycho, and if the movie made it clear that he was fucking nuts, and made him hated by everyone in Gotham. Not some figure to inspire folks to "Fight the Man." That shit is so lame.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So the solution to America's gun violence and mental health epidemics is.....self censorship?

Part of the solution is not feeding the fire with pop fiction about sad men who get dumped by their girlfriends and go on fucking killing sprees.

We need to fix this shit and giving assholes like Holmes a rallying call to get behind is not the way to fix it. The world could've waited a decade or two for a movie about the goddamn Joker. Or just never made it at all.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
....Honestly I think the second clip (first clip not so much) put me off from watching the movie.

I think that it's too much for me. I get that people love movies that don't hold back and stuff but watching this made me realize I just don't agree. I don't know. I'm being too soft I know. I just wasnt comfortable. And I know that that's the point, but I was uncomfortable enough to second guess watching this.
This. I'm thankful I saw it because I was excited to see it before but I just can't handle this kind of hyperviolent shit in the context of "live action normal human guy turns a guy into a blood splatter". It made me literally sick, too realistic.

Like the second clip makes the first look like child's play. At least I could see the first as having been poignant, but if the whole movie is like that... no thanks.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, there are way too many shitty people in the world who will sympathize with him. We've already seen it before, and it's just going to get worse in a movie about a man being "mistreated by the world" so much that he snaps.

The Joker never should've had a movie like this made about him.

Who cares if people sympathize with him? Most people might in a struggle type way, but 99.9999999999999999% won't act on any of this sympathy because they're decent individuals. The rest? Well, they were already a powder keg ready to blow and anything from what their parents dragged to their basements for dinner to being rejected by a woman on Tinder might set them off. You are not solving any problems by saying, "shouldn't be made 'cause people can sympathize with him". That's not the problem at all. It never was. You are just parroting the standard, "Violent video games make people violent". No, violent people already existed and just play violent video games or watch violent movies.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Part of the solution is not feeding the fire with pop fiction about sad men who get dumped by their girlfriends and go on fucking killing sprees.

We need to fix this shit and giving assholes like Holmes a rallying call to get behind is not the way to fix it. The world could've waited a decade or two for a movie about the goddamn Joker. Or just never made it at all.

I doubt the film's intention is to glorify Joker. Again, whatever message crazy idiots absorb from this film, is not the films fault.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, which is why OUR FILM INDUSTRY shouldn't be contributing to this shit by making movies like this.
This is the same rhetoric I heard on some trash conservative show my co-worker was watching in the early morning hours when it came to gun violence in America. Again, stop using their playbook of moral panic about violence in film and games.