• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The act of changing the character isn't inherently problematic. The problem is that Joker isn't FUNCTIONAL without his relationship to Batman. Taking that away from him and in the same breath presenting him as a tragic inspirational figure just feels insane.

And again, Thanos in the comics wants to fuck Death. That is a very different kind of situation that just plain wouldn't fly in a kids' movie. I don't care that they changed that because honestly the whole well-intentioned extremist thing doesn't change the fact that his goal in both versions is still the same: to wipe out half of all life in the universe.
inspirational to who? nutjobs? why legitimize what nutjobs think

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The act of changing the character isn't inherently problematic. The problem is that Joker isn't FUNCTIONAL without his relationship to Batman. Taking that away from him and in the same breath presenting him as a tragic inspirational figure just feels insane.

And again, Thanos in the comics wants to fuck Death. That is a very different kind of situation that just plain wouldn't fly in a kids' movie. I don't care that they changed that because honestly the whole well-intentioned extremist thing doesn't change the fact that his goal in both versions is still the same: to wipe out half of all life in the universe.
So the Joker cannot be functional without Batman? That's not a failure of the film, that's you unable to see past and be creative.

Wait, so Thanos' reason can change because the end station is the same, but the Joker cannot have a different story even though he'll end up as murderous sociopath? Hmm

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So the Joker cannot be functional without Batman? That's not a failure of the film, that's you unable to see past and be creative.

Wait, so Thanos' reason can change because the end station is the same, but the Joker cannot have a different story even though he'll end up as murderous sociopath? Hmm

Okay, this contrarian shit is just exhausting. For the last time, there's a difference between changing one element of a character and changing the ESSENCE of a character.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, this contrarian shit is just exhausting. For the last time, there's a difference between changing one element of a character and changing the ESSENCE of a character.
Joker's essence is that he's a murderous clown bent on doing sociopath things to basically everyone around him. Telling one of his backstories isn't going to change that.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
When I saw this earlier this morning I couldn't believe that De Niro scene.

Todd Phillips really wants the gamers to rise up. No wonder IGN loved it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Joker's essence is that he's a murderous clown bent on doing sociopath things to basically everyone around him. Telling one of his backstories isn't going to change that.

Joker's essence is that he's a psychopath whose entire focus is on fucking with Batman. He's a nemesis, he doesn't really do that much without Batman around.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
I really didn't care about this movie and am still pretty meh but damn that first leaked scene was intense

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Joker's essence is that he's a psychopath whose entire focus is on fucking with Batman. He's a nemesis, he doesn't really do that much without Batman around.
Again, that's your own creative limitation. The character is interesting enough to hold its own in a film as evident by the large interest in this film.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Acting looks great, but it still makes me uncomfortable. I know, some of y'all will defend this no matter what and that's cool. At the same time, y'all should understand why this subject makes some of us uneasy in this day and age. It's not the fact that he's a villian and killing people. It's just that they choose to make him a loser who blames everyone else for his problems so he starts killing folks. And the fact that he's "inspires" others.

Would've been so much better if he was just a normal dude with a family, good job, whatever, who wanted some excitement so he decided to go all American Psycho, and if the movie made it clear that he was fucking nuts, and made him hated by everyone in Gotham. Not some figure to inspire folks to "Fight the Man." That shit is so lame.

i think this movie looks incredible and those leaked clips honestly really shook me. It's brutal and visceral. But I do agree with you 100%. We live in strange times.

Jan 4, 2018
He inspires people in the damn movie. He's presented as an inspirational figure in the text!
He can inspire as many characters as he wants, for me it's about whether his actions are glorified and meant to be inspirational to the audience. So far I haven't gotten that sense from the film, but if that's what it ultimately ends up being then it will rightfully deserve criticism.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
That still doesn't explain your first post.
The script seemed bad.
The story seems bad based on the trailers and marketing.
The movie is bad, the twist is dumb and why he's on the talk show is dumb. The political point is dumb because of the bad twist.
Phoneix is good.

Good enough?

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Of course the joker can be functional without Batman. Comic book characters aren't some special class of writing that exists outside of the rest of fiction. This is just a different take. Without Batman. You don't like the joker without Batman, and that's fine. Maybe the movie isn't good, who knows. Not alot of people have seen it. But more people swinging for the fence and shaking up the genre is a good thing.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I get the message of the movie now. I'm in. I hope it inspires conversation about how we treat our mentally ill. (I am one).

But we won't. We're just gonna argue about how this will inspire the alt-right.

It's just so ironic and pathetic.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"How about another joke? What do you get when you cross a mentally ill loner with a society that abandons him and treats him like trash? I'll tell you what you get. You get what you fucking deserve!"

*shoots Rober DiNero in the face*

And I get if you read this in a leaked script in the voice I just read it in my head, you'd go "Wow, what a stupid, hack line" but the way he way delivers the line is like nothing I could have ever imagined on my own. Just a captivating performance.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The script seemed bad.
The movie is bad, the twist is dumb and why he's on the talk show is dumb. The political point is dumb because of the bad twist.
Phoneix is good.

Good enough?

No, it still doesn't make sense, but whatever.

Deleted member 59245

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
I get the message of the movie now. I'm in. I hope it inspires conversation about how we treat our mentally ill. (I am one).

As someone who also has mental health issues, the fact that so many people in this thread think we're just walking bombs waiting for a fuse is pretty disheartening. Expected, but disheartening.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The script seemed bad.
Phoneix is good.

Good enough?
Pretty sure you haven't seen it but whatever I guess

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017

the movie might touch on the problematic widespread gun ownership as well (I think a guardian article mentioned the movie going there)

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Todd Haynes or Todd Field would have had a better, more tonally appropriate command of this material.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The script seemed bad.
Phoneix is good.

Good enough?

Dude.. your first post still makes no sense from someone who's seen the movie. It's so weird how people lie about the most trivial things in life.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

*Deep breath* in this universe Joker can function without Batman.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
We can not care what they think while still realizing it's a real problem that has gotten people killed.
Violent people will have plenty of triggers. The goal is to help them not be violent through actual working methods. Removing any possible public triggers for these individuals is going to be pretty impossible as a lot will incite them. Like, you may as well ban Tinder as I am sure that has caused violence on some scale for these individuals. It is a poorly applied bandaid.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
We can not care what they think while still realizing it's a real problem that has gotten people killed.
but why should anyone care what they misinterpret or what FICTIONAL comic book character they hold as their own. they are nuts. they will get inspired by bane in nolan movies if they wanted to. how much media are you going to stop before you completely surrender yourself to the nutjobs

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Aurora shooting, which you obliquely referenced earlier in this thread, was not inspired by the Joker. Other than that example, which has been debunked multiple times in the last few pages, are there recent examples of mainstream movies getting people killed? I can't think of any. People tried to blame Columbine on everything from Matrix to Doom (the game) to KMFDM. I think it's a bit of a leap, however, to blame media for the actions of the unhinged.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So like Joker can be Martha Wayne, he can be a superhero, he can know Bruce Wayne in real life, but he can't function without Batman? Give me a break! He's a comic book character.

What's the point of making a movie about the Joker if everything that makes the Joker who he is isn't part of the character?

If you want to make a stupid psycho clown movie just make a stupid psycho clown movie, there was no reason to make it about the damn Joker. I don't understand why this particular movie is worth so much defense.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So like Joker can be Martha Wayne, he can be a superhero, he can know Bruce Wayne in real life, but he can't function without Batman? Give me a break! He's a comic book character.

Out of all those possibilities, all those interesting alternative takes on Joker. They chose to give life to an idealized Joker from Incel fantasies that has never existed in media and portray him as a victim that has a point . They knew what they were doing.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Violent people will have plenty of triggers. The goal is to help them not be violent through actual working methods. Removing any possible public triggers for these individuals is going to be pretty impossible as a lot will incite them. Like, you may as well ban Tinder as I am sure that has caused violence on some scale for these individuals. It is a poorly applied bandaid.
Sure, and look, I'm not saying ban the film. It may have been a bit irresponsible to make it depending on its ultimate messaging given current happenings, but I do think it's important for us to be aware of the potential for bad things to come out of it, how it plays into the zeitgeist, and for its messaging to be hijacked so it doesn't take us by surprise.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
No one ever actually shows solid proof how the Joker is so popular and idolized among incels anymore than how the general population loves the Joker. The alt right likes to co-opt generic clown stuff(the goal is to use it as a trojan horse meme) but I rarely see much about the Joker specifically. Gamersriseup Joker is used by everyone with its origin lying in making fun of racist gamers. Do you people constantly peruse incel forums cause I hardly see it a lot like how you see Pepe everywhere.

That said even if it was the case that they all love the Joker to the some insane degree it doesn't matter, neo nazis also really love Thor and anything to do with vikings, the alt right loves grand strategy games. These kinds of people latch on to anything they can to affirm their views and make memes whether it makes sense or not, hell sometimes they do it on purpose just to piss "SJWs" off. You can't stop that unless your endgame is to go full NK dystopia and censor anything that's deemed unfit for society. You can't control how someone reacts to any piece of media, who would have guessed how big The Matrix would become in alt right circles, guess we should finger wag the new one, only gonna give them more meme material after all. Right now the only thing I'm seeing is people practically hoping for a self fulfilling prophecy where joker gangs roam the streets with how much they're propping up this movie as the incel national anthem.

May 31, 2018
This takes place in the 70s, right? Man, I would have loved it if the end scene would have been him looking down at a crying baby that he and his love-interest in the movie had with Ledger's "You know how I got these scars?" speech audio playing and ending with Phoenix saying "Why so serious?"