• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
To a reasonable person, no. The alt-right/incels are not reasonable.

Thai thread is super hilarious when you remember liberal reactions to American Sniper. Y'all ready to overlook any problematic shit cuz it's based on a comic book character.

American Sniper was based on a real fucking person

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Oh fuck you. I'm not even calling for censorship. The movie has a message encouraging violence for people looking for that message. Dismissal of this is the definition of putting your head in the sand.

No it doesn't, that is ridiculous and it won't stop being ridiculous if you keep saying it, because we can all clearly see the horrific clips to which you are referring and they very obviously are not portraying a sympathetic character of this nature. Furthermore, artists are not responsible for people taking the wrong message from their work, and society is not responsible for sanitizing media to ensure that never happens.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Leaked script was real. Surprised it's getting all the good reviews as the script was average. Acting must being carrying it

If the leaked script ends up being real, don't tell me that....

The ending is where the Joker is dancing on the street neighborhood's stairs after he killed his crush, just after he got friendzoned

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on a forum focused on video games aka the most stupidly criticized cause of violent crimes is being frankly hilarious attributing it to a different form of entertainment.

Oct 28, 2017
This is like definition of glorified violence. Killing someone after shouting a
S O C I E T Y level high-school speech? Using violence as domination and to scare? This is the ultimate power fantasy for some fucks out there, lmao.
What about the ominous tone and intense music of the scene, or the audience shouting in horror and fear at what the Joker did?

This isn't really being portrayed as badass or cool, it's meant to be horrifying which I think they did a good job at emphasizing.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Joker won't cause an increase in violent crime or shootings. We all know only Marilyn Manson and video games have that power.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Keeping it 100, I'm probably not going to watch this movie in theaters.

Oct 25, 2017
American Sniper was based on a real fucking person
And it led to a direct uptick in violence and threats against muslims.

No it doesn't, that is ridiculous and it won't stop being ridiculous if you keep saying it, because we can all clearly see the horrific clips to which you are referring and they very obviously are not portraying a sympathetic character of this nature. Furthermore, artists are not responsible for people taking the wrong message from their work, and society is not responsible for sanitizing media to ensure that never happens.

Nah innocent people just pay the price for their poor judgement.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I wanna see this anymore.

Very fucking true.

This is the joker that has any chance of possibly succeeding Ledger's.

After seeing the clips, I want nothing more than Batman to stop him. Any other force works too.
But with a Batman that never "stops" him but let's him to continue to kill over and over.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Depiction is not endorsement is such a lazy and flawed argument in this context. This is film, where how things are framed (and I mean literally framed) and directorial decisions can have a huge impact on what you're communicating. This isn't a CCTV capture of real life events. You'd have to missed a lot to think Kubrick was merely depicting violence without any commentary in A Clockwork Orange or that Fincher had no design in his depiction of violence in Fight Club. It's more accurate to say depiction is not necessarily endorsement.

That's not to say this film may not have any intelligent commentary on violence, it might but we don't know until we watch it.

I'm not at all advocating for censorship of such works nor am I implying it creates any disruption in society but it's silly to say films are exempt from any assessment or criticism for their moral position. Is Birth of a Nation merely depiction?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Depiction is not endorsement is such a lazy and flawed argument in this context. This is film, where how things are framed (and I mean literally framed) and directorial decisions can have a huge impact on what you're communicating. This isn't a CCTV capture of real life events. You'd have to missed a lot to think Kubrick was merely depicting violence without any commentary in A Clockwork Orange or that Fincher had no design in his depiction of violence in Fight Club. It's more accurate to say depiction is not necessarily endorsement.

That's not to say this film may not have any intelligent commentary on violence, it might but we don't know until we watch it.

I'm not at all advocating for censorship of such works nor am I implying it creates any disruption in society but it's silly to say films are exempt from any assessment or criticism for their moral position. Is Birth of a Nation merely depiction?
No one is saying that. Context is obviously implied in such an argument.

(Depending on how scenes, themes, characterizations, and actions are framed), depiction is not endorsement

Birth of a Nation is endorsement. The KKK scenes in Mudbound are not.

Discussion guidelines

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
Cut out the hostility in this thread. People are allowed to have opinions about the film and are allowed to disagree with each other. However, if it comes to personal insults and hostility directed at other members that remains unacceptable and a violation of the site's ToS. If you don't want to talk about the leaks, then just don't post.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever, I'm out. Id

Make it more clear that Joker is a bad guy? Have him get brutally killed at the end?

Look im about to go into a bar without cell service. If y'all don't think that some people are going to come away from this movie more sympathetic to Joker's incel worldview you're deluded. Anyway I'm out. Enjoy your spin off movie.
Why would the joker getting killed at the end solidify him as a bad guy? The ominous music and tension (and ya know, the murders)don't make that abundantly clear?

Listen, sure. Awful people could come away from this movie with the wrong message. But why worry? That can happen with any piece of media. Incels watch this movie and identify with something they shouldn't. What then?

You suggested a genuine increase in crime as a possibility of this movie releasing.

Like what

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

Context and nuances caused by the intent is implied when talking about depiction.

Yes, Birth of a Nation is in fact endorsement. It was based off a pro-KKK propaganda.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
holy shit. I got used to marvel stuff. was not ready for that.

Here's the worst thing. Joker and Batman and all comic book heroes already get marketed as "for kids".

How many idiot dumbass parents took their under 12 kids to see rated R Deadpool? A LOT.

How many very stupid parents are going to let their under 12 kids see this Joker movie because it's just a comic book movie? Way too many.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
No one is saying that. Context is obviously implied in such an argument.

(Depending on how scenes, themes, characterizations, and actions are framed), depiction is not endorsement

Birth of a Nation is endorsement. The KKK scenes in Mudbound are not.
And we cannot make that assessment until the film comes out so it's too early to say depiction is not endorsement in response to people's concerns about the film's premise, marketing and audience reactions thus far. Conversely it's also too early to say this film is justifying violent behaviour. It's difficult to make either claim just based on these clips. We can have a much better conversation on this subject post release.

My post was also partly directed at comparisons being made with A Clockwork Orange, which I think are too premature. We just don't know how cleverly this film will handle the material yet.

My question on Birth of a Nation was a rhetorical one if it wasn't clear.

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the worst thing. Joker and Batman and all comic book heroes already get marketed as "for kids".

How many idiot dumbass parents took their under 12 kids to see rated R Deadpool? A LOT.

How many very stupid parents are going to let their under 12 kids see this Joker movie because it's just a comic book movie? Way too many.

I saw 6 year olds in Deadpool...

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This dialogue is pretty mediocre but damn the acting is incredible.

I do think movies can be viewed by certain groups to fit their mindset and the individuals morph it into something terrible. I don't think I'd go as far as to say as a movie has the responsibility of that carrying over its shoulder. The main issue is the violent society that fostered this individual in the first place. One that has allowed alt-right and gun-flashing values to fester until it's become so prevalent we become numb to it.

It's on the individual themselves as well as real racists, bigots, and evil men and women in government that allowed violence to get this far in America.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That first clip gives me vibes that he may just end up being my favorite portrayal of Joker, even better than Heath imo.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif
Man like no kidding.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017

The culture of cinema is overrated and needs change anyway.

The culture of cinema gave no space to minorities and those who suffer under these types of villain protagonists for decades on end, until the doors had to be broken.

A culture that prides itself more on hearing the perspective of evil than those who suffer from it is one that needs to change. That goes into many media. You can tell the ones by how straight cis males dominated they are.

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Why would the joker getting killed at the end solidify him as a bad guy? The ominous music and tension (and ya know, the murders)don't make that abundantly clear?

Listen, sure. Awful people could come away from this movie with the wrong message. But why worry? That can happen with any piece of media. Incels watch this movie and identify with something they shouldn't. What then?

You suggested a genuine increase in crime as a possibility of this movie releasing.

Like what

Example.

There are people on this very site that think Killmonger was right