• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

E0eg40OXsAIjG_G

E0eh9-gXsAMupde

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Something about that Epic response rubs me the wrong way. Crossplay should happen of course, but still.

"I can't think of a scenario where Epic doesn't get what we want." and "Epic is not changing it's mind on the issue, so let's just agree on it now."

Yeah, that explains why they thought they could go up against Apple lmao.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Does point 7 in Epic's response read like an implied threat to anyone else?

"Oh and by the way, if you don't give us crossplay, we won't offer such generous terms when your UE4 license is up for renewal"

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good look for Gio.
Isn't that what they've always said though? That they only care about improving the PlayStation experience, and the bs about cross-play meaning they wouldn't have full control over the image ("think of the children"). It's not like Gio said the "Sony look like heroes" thing.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that what they've always said though? That they only care about improving the PlayStation experience, and the bs about cross-play meaning they wouldn't have full control over the image ("think of the children"). It's not like Gio said the "Sony look like heroes" thing.

Yeah, nothing said in that email makes Gio look bad imo.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Oh and by the way, if you don't give us crossplay, we won't offer such generous terms when your UE4 license is up for renewal"

Nah. It's just business. It's all about giving the other side some bonuses, so they accept what you're offering.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

That seems like normal business talk. "make a deal with us or we wont keep giving you the same offer"

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Epic dragging a major business partner like Sony to the mud?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Companies having to bend over backwards for Sony just so they can be allowed to do something for the consumers.

Oct 27, 2017

It's business. I don't really find this shocking they're just trying to offer a deal to extend the license tying it to something else not really that unusual.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
"Please explain how this benefits PlayStation"? Are they really this dumb? Like, uuhhhh, maybe healthier multiplayer gamer numbers are a win-win for everyone. Fortnite might be able to survive separated by platform, but there are plenty of smaller games that would benefit greatly and get people to invest in PS+ if games they liked had more players online vs. being segregated to their own platforms that alone aren't good enough to support a healthy enough multiplayer community.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty normal business stuff lol. People here will act surprise that these kind of marketing discussions happen?

Epic got really big headed with fortnite lol but they kinda had a point when negotiating for crossplay.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playstation 4 the players......only when it directly benefits sony

This court case has been great

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
well, it kinds of explain a lot, not a fan of their business tactics, but i'm not a multimilionaire company owner ... so i guess they are fine

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol this is when the theme was Sony is the savior of console gaming and epic was leaning hard into that. Pretty cringe but I can't say I'm surprised.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty normal business stuff lol. People here will act surprise that these kind of marketing discussions happen?

Epic got really big headed with fortnite lol but they kinda had a point when negotiating for crossplay.
I feel like some people are really thinking that everyone at Playstation, Microsoft and Nintendo are so cool, just talking business while playing video games together lol. The power of social medias and charisma.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Thread makes it seem like it's Sony asking to be heroes lol. It's actually Epic who wrote that.

A Tom Warren thread.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Of course it's normal stuff but you don't tend to see the normal operations of a company unless you're working for said company

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Threatening the terms of an unrelated engine license if you don't get terms you want on a policy involving an unrelated game....
Hmm....

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
Sony has always been a piece of shit when it comes to cross-play. Their reasoning was always complete nonsense.