• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Take it with a grain of salt and all that.
(got the bullet points here)
  • Referred to as NGVR by Sony (next gen PSVR) - not PSVR 2
  • Will use Fresnel OLED screens with a 2000x2040 resolution per eye
  • HDR display
  • FOV is 110 degrees
  • Uses Flexible Scaling Resolution in addition to Foveated Rendering which used in conjunction with eye tracking both which aims to scale resolution based upon the user's concentrated view and reduces the strains on PS5 resources
  • Haptics are planned for the headset itself to reduce motion sickness and improve immersion
  • The new controllers which don't have a name yet will be packaged with every new NGVR headset at launch.
  • The controllers will include capacitive touch sensors, which are analogue based and can track the distance between your fingers and thumb. This is in addition to haptics and adaptive triggers which have already been announced
  • Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.
  • Nothing was mentioned regarding BC for PSVR1 but there is a push to remaster some PSVR1 games
  • The headset itself wasn't shown and release date wasn't mentioned but launch plans will be revealed in early 2022.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

According to him Sony held a private conference yesterday with devs regarding the next VR headset and it was 90 minutes. A lot was already leaked before, but this is what I believe is new:

• Sony is calling it NGVR (next gen VR) and not calling it PSVR2 (not yet at least)
  • Screen will be OLED and support HDR. Screen FOV will be 110 degrees (20 degrees more than quest 2, 10 degrees more than PSVR, couple degrees more than valve index). NGVR will support flexible scaling resolution alongside foveated rendering.
  • Controller doesn't have a name yet, but a pair will be packed with every VR headset, they also support capacitive touch sensors for the thumb and index allowing them to know how far the fingers are when they're not touching the controller so they're not just on and off.
  • Wants to move from VR experiences to AAA console games by making hybrid games that work on both the flat screen and VR.
  • No mention of BC with PSVR games, but mentioned there will be a strong push for remastered PSVR games on the new headset.
  • Launch information coming early 2022.

Last edited:

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Key details from the video:
  • Fresnel OLED screens
  • 2000 x 2040 per eye
  • 4K HDR display
  • FOV 110
  • Eyetracking (Sony will refer to Foveated Rendering as "FSR/Flexible Scaling Resolution")
  • Haptics in headset (and controllers), haptics in headset will help reduce motion sickness
  • Controllers come bundled with headset
  • Focus on AAA titles
  • Hybrid games playable on flatscreen or PSVR2, download only what you need
  • No mention of BC, but big push for remastered PSVR1 games
  • Launch details will be announced in early 2022

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I cant verify PSVR without Parole, but I can say that he does get Press Releases from VR devs ahead of time (videos for announcements go up at the same time as the embargo lifts), including those developers that announced that the game they are working on will release on Sony's next headset.

As for the details, a lot here makes sense, for example, 'Flexible Resolution Scaling' as described matches exactly to a patent that Mark Cerny filed a few years ago. Wanting to move out of small VR experiences and into AAA games in order to rapidly grow the market makes sense as well.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
  • Uses Flexible Scaling Resolution in addition to Foveated Rendering which used in conjunction with eye tracking both which aims to scale resolution based upon the user's concentrated view and reduces the strains on PS5 resources
That's a really cool idea, is it used on any VR platform currently?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.
This will be great IMO

Having games like GTA in VR will be amazing if it gets that far

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This thing is going to be awesome, with or without BC.

Expecting an October 2022 release date with Alyx on day one.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This will be great IMO

Having games like GTA in VR will be amazing if it gets that far
Porting Rokcstar's big games to a good VR system could be huge (I tried LA Noire on the PSVR1 and could barely read anything nor could i click where i wanted lol, it was such a frustrating experience, PSVR2 should be vastly better at solving these issues)

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Porting Rokcstar's big games to a good VR system could be huge (I tried LA Noire on the PSVR1 and could barely read anything nor could i click where i wanted lol, it was such a frustrating experience, PSVR2 should be vastly better at solving these issues)
GTA and RDR2 on PSVR2 would be incredible, it would take 5 generations for Rockstar to do it, though.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope there is some backwards compatibility. I've bought too many PSVR games to just dispose of the old headset, but it would be far too messy to have both installed.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For sure

I mean, just imagine having RDR which is one of the most immersive games ever, in a crisp image, and with good controls. I feel like this will be a megaton.

Could also give Rockstar more execuses to resell their games.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
  • Wants to move from VR experiences to AAA console games by making hybrid games that work on both the flat screen and VR.

Could this be why London Studio changed their VR references to AAA development on their website?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
For sure

I mean, just imagine having RDR which is one of the most immersive games ever, in a crisp image, and with good controls. I feel like this will be a megaton.

Could also give Rockstar more execuses to resell their games.
I actually tried playing RDR2 on PSVR via the movie mode with first person view once, and it was actually pretty cool, something like that but with actual VR and far superior hardware could be a really immersive experience.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I doubt early 2022 launch info given the current shortages there is no reason for them to push on this, VR will be the way to put life in the product as the first userbase consolidates and to keep it from going into other ecosystems, this will happen much slower now.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is a dream come true, and HDR in a VR headset? Game changer.

The other part that I've been shouting from the rooftops for a minute where I hoped Sony would be going with VR and hope is true:

Sony want to move away from "VR experiences" and concentrate on AAA games with an aim to make hybrid games that are playable in both flat screen and VR. When those titles launch you can even select which version you want to download.

Fuck. Yes. This is how you offset costs and get those AAA VR games.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
foveated rendering will be great. I'm in for this wireless or wired (seriously it's not that big a deal if it's just one wire)

Nov 2, 2018
No Skyrim VR is going to sting.

Sony would really benefit from building a team suited to making their own Bethesda-like game. It would be the crown jewel of a flat/VR hybrid game imo.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt early 2022 launch info given the current shortages there is no reason for them to push on this, VR will be the way to put life in the product as the first userbase consolidates and to keep it from going into other ecosystems, this will happen much slower now.

If they don't want the VR market to be entirely dominated by the Oculus Quest, they can't wait for the PS5 userbase to consildate.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually tried playing RDR2 on PSVR via the movie mode with first person view once, and it was actually pretty cool, something like that but with actual VR and far superior hardware could be a really immersive experience.
Yeah and the game itself would actually work well. You can interact with a lot of stuff so if they put some exclusive mini games and movement features it could be interesting. Having to clean your guns in vr or going hunting could be really interesting. Heck even fishing would be cool.

The game is really chill if you want it to be so I could see it being a megaton.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
AAA experiences with support for VR and non-VR modes seems like the best way to go. I don't want PlayStation Studios to split down the middle like when they had portable machines, but I'd like Naughty Dog and Insomniac to be developing for this to add their unique value.

Whether it can be done remains to be seen. I haven't played it but something like Alyx seems so intrinsically built for VR I'm not sure how possible it is to have a non-VR version of that.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, this is what I have been saying for a long time.

Basically, if there's any future in high-end VR games, then it's through high budget +$100 million 'flat-screen' games being converted to VR.

Games like RE7 and Skyrim proved that you can make a traditional game into a VR game that provides as much presence as a VR only game, but in those cases, you were playing a high budget game as opposed to a short and low-budgeted one.

I have expected RDR2 to be fully converted to PSVR2 since first I have played that game in 2018. Even GTAV can be made into a VR game, but motion sickness can be more pronounced with that one because it's a faster paced experience compared to RDR2.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
If they don't want the VR market to be entirely dominated by the Oculus Quest, they can't wait for the PS5 userbase to consildate.
Given the current gaming strategy by quest they are competing more for the mobile game crowd than any AAA gaming crowd, given how VRPC is almost dead as new big releases after Alyx have been almost non existent.

I feel like PSVR has all the AAA VR space for them to take.

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
Looks great! NGVR is a call by to NGP aka PS Vita codename :P

PSVita fans will get it ; )

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds exciting. Hope for some solution to PSVR1 Backwards Compatibility (if anything to help justify the costs of what will almost certainly be more expensive hardware than PSVR1) but I can't wait.

Koyaannis

May 5, 2021
It seems.... SO expensive. I wonder if Sony will target an "accessible" price or a "gamer" price.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I actually like shorter VR 'experiences'.

Having said that, including VR modes in most first party games would be great...as long as they make full use of the new controllers (for first person titles) and adapt for motion sickness where possible.

Hoping we'll get Rush of Blood 2..and an actual Ocean Descent game this time (still surprised at the complete lack of scuba diving games on PSVR. I'd kill for something akin to Endless Ocean).

Still hoping for a wireless add-on (although I can understand why cost would be the major issue including it as standard)..as one of PSVR's biggest problems is the inabilty to turn 360 degress without being worried at tripping over a wire.They'd solve a bunch of motion sickness problems if turn was done simply by turning your whole self around, as opposed to having to use sticks.

Last edited:

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Haptics in the headset would be really cool. Remember Astrobot holding the umbrella and you feeling the raindrops on it through the dualsense? Imagine having that feeling on your actual head.

In VR you could actually be holding an umbrella in your hand. You could extend your other hand (vr controller) outside the umbrella and feel the raindrops through the haptics when outside the cone of the umbrella.

So many cool possibilities that will increase immersion due to controllers and headset having haptics.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The hybrid approach is something i expected & is what i think Valve will do as well, you lose too much market share designing a game for VR only.