• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
95% sure it's あいだに

I'll admit I have no idea. I tried looking up the reading, but I don't know. It's most likely あいだ. It could be ま or even かん, but I doubt it. You never know with these things. Kanji readings can sometimes surprise you haha.

Yeah, that's why. I also thought automatically あいだ but then I was like, it doesn't have to be that. There are certain set words that are read differently with specific usage.

I guess you could ask about it on HiNative if you really wanted to know haha

Huh? This is the first time I hear about HiNative. What's that?

It would be very handy to know about 間に just to be certain.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
it's a website where you post questions about language to japanese people (preferably in japanese) with the expectation you take the time to answer some questions that japanese people ask about english

one of the more useful sites out there though a bit impersonal - kind of the yahoo answers of language questions but with better results. takes a while to get answers though from memory

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Huh? This is the first time I hear about HiNative. What's that?

It would be very handy to know about 間に just to be certain.

It's an app where you can ask questions and have natives answer them (the idea is that you then answer some of their questions about your native language, although you don't actually need to if you don't want to). Lots of Japanese people seem to use it so you usually get answers pretty quickly.

Edit: haha it seems that Jintor and I have different experiences with it. Usually my questions would get answered within an hour or two IIRC, but I haven't used it in a long time.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i usually left answers overnight on it for some reason i can't remember why anymore lol

you could get some really comprehensive answers though... and reading the explanations was usually good practice as well!

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
So I just heard a character say デジャブ in a series. What's up with that word, why is it used as a loan word in so many languages lol? I can't see it as being such a French concept, surely there'd be some other ways to express it in other languages.

iyou could get some really comprehensive answers though... and reading the explanations was usually good practice as well!

Yeah it's definitely a useful resource!

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just heard a character say デジャブ in a series. What's up with that word, why is it used as a loan word in so many languages lol? I can't see it as being such a French concept, surely there'd be some other ways to express it.

For people who don't speak French here, they probably picked up the word from English, really. English speakers made "déjà vu" into a noun in the first place, but as you know, it's originally part of an expression in French. You can't just say "un déjà vu"... Unless Québec French can? lol

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
For people who don't speak French here, they probably picked up the word from English, really. English speakers made "déjà vu" into a noun in the first place, but as you know, it's originally part of an expression in French. You can't just say "un déjà vu"... Unless Québec French can? lol

Hmmm... Googling it actually seems to return quite a few results haha. My French is completely fucked since I use English so much so I don't even know whether it feels natural or not anymore lol

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... Googling it actually seems to return quite a few results haha. My French is completely fucked since I use English so much so I don't even know whether it feels natural or not anymore lol

I'm seeing results with "une sensation de déjà vu", "un air de déjà vu", "une impression de déjà vu", but not "un déjà-vu". I wouldn't be surprised if, 10 years from now, "un déjà vu" becomes a thing because of English, but right now you can't say that in French without sounding off.

Anyway, /off-topic

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Annoying how apps like HelloTalk are great in theory but it ends up being guys only wanting talking to girls. No Japanese guys say more than hi to me and I feel weird only messaging girls. Oh well.

New to the thread but have been doing Japanese for a few months mostly for fun. I'm in the early stages of RTK but I've gotten through Genki I/II. Decided to take on kanji/vocab so I can actually start reading. Good luck to everyone!

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I was just about to say the concept of HiNative sounds a lot like HelloTalk. It seems to be better and designed specifically to ask questions instead of being kind of Facebook in different languages with corrections. At least that has been my impression of HelloTalk. Anyway, I signed up to HiNative and asked the question. I will post the answer here once I get it. Thanks for explaining the app guys!

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
HelloTalk is also kinda buggy or quirky, especially for its age. But it works... sometimes. But yeah, the social media-ness of it reminds me of Interpals which turns into a pseudo-dating/creepy guy site.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ladies and gentlemen we have an answer!

"間に生まれる"の読み方は。。。

あいだに!

お疲れ様でした皆さん!

HelloTalk is also kinda buggy or quirky, especially for its age. But it works... sometimes. But yeah, the social media-ness of it reminds me of Interpals which turns into a pseudo-dating/creepy guy site.

I haven't really used HelloTalk thoroughly to notice the creepy dating aspect. I have mostly been a lurker just reading stuff. It is okay to kill time while passively learning from time to time. To make more comparisons, it's great that you can ask questions in different languages with HiNative while HelloTalk is limited to one language unless you pay. It really feels like HiNative is going to be very handy for those kind of questions. I'm very greatful that you guys introduced me to it, especially Hypron

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Man, being a perfectionist is annoying. I had a busy period where I wasn't able to study for a few weeks, and when I returned I still remembered a lot of the cards so they ended up becoming mature cards... but I'm still annoyed because I feel like those cards didn't follow the right process.

Anyway. Does anyone know a resource that's good for converting a large number of kanji sentences to kana?

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
First time posting here, still very much a beginner. Just got 163/180 on N3. Going for N2 in December.

Look forward to it!

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Thanks guys. I feel like I lucked my way through the kanji part of the word section so really looking forward to focusing on KanKen and sorting that out. Might pick up a 2DS for the games - anyone have them? I hear the DS ones are good but don't want to have to go back that far..
First time posting here, still very much a beginner. Just got 163/180 on N3. Going for N2 in December.

Look forward to it!
Nice one. You'll smash it if you keep going at that rate.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
JLPT results are out - got 120/180 on N1. I'll take it. On to Kanji Kentei next.. :)

Oh my, congrats!

Congrats!

I'm still afraid to take the JLPT...

I haven't done one of them either. It might be time to think about them. The question is though which one to start with. I reckon that N5 and 4 are too easy at this point. But then...staring with N3 or N2?

You could try the sample tests on the official page. https://www.jlpt.jp/samples/sample12.html?mode=pc if you flunk it, perhaps you're not quite ready yet

Bummer, I won't do this December's test :(

That's very handy actually. Thank you!

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. I feel like I lucked my way through the kanji part of the word section so really looking forward to focusing on KanKen and sorting that out. Might pick up a 2DS for the games - anyone have them? I hear the DS ones are good but don't want to have to go back that far..

Nice one. You'll smash it if you keep going at that rate.
Thanks. Congrats on getting N1 too. I also got a 2DS XL in JP region for Japanese titles. I recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV as nearly all the kanjis have 表記 (I think this is the right word - hiraganas are shown right above kanji). It is pretty good for learning the language while playing. The game is good too!
I haven't done one of them either. It might be time to think about them. The question is though which one to start with. I reckon that N5 and 4 are too easy at this point. But then...staring with N3 or N2?
Agreed with Jintor. I skipped both N5 and N4 and went straight to N3.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
just start with n3 tbh

Agreed with Jintor. I skipped both N5 and N4 and went straight to N3.

Alright, that sounds pretty definitive. Then I might go with that first. I won't start applying straight away but I will start preparing and seriously looking into applying soonish. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks. Congrats on getting N1 too. I also got a 2DS XL in JP region for Japanese titles. I recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV as nearly all the kanjis have 表記 (I think this is the right word - hiraganas are shown right above kanji). It is pretty good for learning the language while playing. The game is good too!

It's funny you mention this as I have also been looking into finding ways to play Japanese 3DS games. I have never done homebrew before but I am seriously considering it. I'm still not sure if it's the way to go or better buying one. The prices are pretty high though, not sure if it is worth it for 10 games at most.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny you mention this as I have also been looking into finding ways to play Japanese 3DS games. I have never done homebrew before but I am seriously considering it. I'm still not sure if it's the way to go or better buying one. The prices are pretty high though, not sure if it is worth it for 10 games at most.
One of the reasons I started learning Japanese is for games! Maybe getting a second-hand one (if you can find one)? 2DS (not XL) are relatively cheap. If not, you can still go for homebrew which be fairly easy.

BTW, just in case you have not played any DS titles, all of them are region-free so you can just import them and play them on your current console.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
One of those mornings where I open up my Anki/SRS and lose motivation D: learning languages while working full time is hard and feels like it's not worth the time sometimes. Oh well, was able to finish my review for today.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sage Jim_Cacher congratulations to the both of you!

And to anyone who failed but is too ashamed to post: it's okay, it's just a standardized test, not an assessment of your efforts or validity as a person.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Feeling like watching some live action stuff, but I've never watched a Japanese drama in my life... Any recommendations (preferably not something with thick regional accents haha)? Not a huge fan of romance stories, but I think something like a crime drama could be fun.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling like watching some live action stuff, but I've never watched a Japanese drama in my life... Any recommendations (preferably not something with thick regional accents haha)? Not a huge fan of romance stories, but I think something like a crime drama could be fun.

Start with 小さな巨人 , it's the best crime drama of the last few years IMO.
If you want raws and soft subs let me know

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Signing up for the N5 tomorrow. Part of me thinks I should just go N4 but I won't have time to study for it. Figured I should at least pass something in the meantime and then do N4 later, especially because I don'y really plan to use JPLT for anything except measuring my own progress.

Anyone else taking JPLT in NYC this December?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
If anyone's looking for easy material, I stumbled across this series of videos that was originally aired on this thing called Wiiの間 (ま, not あいだ this time). It was probably aimed at children so it's pretty easy to understand and I find it quite relaxing to watch before going to bed haha.

Oh I didn't know there actually was a live action series of GTO haha. GTO and Young GTO were my first manga so I have fond memories of them.

ATXAlchemy

Nov 1, 2017
There's even two of them. The old one (with Soramachi as Onizuka) was actually referred to in GTO's manga. He is one of the few Japanese actors I know by name because of Fujisawa. LOL.

Soramachi also married the actress who played Fuyutuki.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's looking for easy material, I stumbled across this series of videos that was originally aired on this thing called Wiiの間 (ま, not あいだ this time). It was probably aimed at children so it's pretty easy to understand and I find it quite relaxing to watch before going to bed haha.

Oh I didn't know there actually was a live action series of GTO haha. GTO and Young GTO were my first manga so I have fond memories of them.

Sounds like something you'll like.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Yo, quick Japanese question.

Just finished watching ピンポン, and at some point a kid tells another kid

俺のランドセル 開けてみそ

In context he's obviously telling the other kid to open his bag. I'm just a bit unsure about that final 'そ' (not ぞ). I assume ~みそ≈~みるぞ... But is it even proper Japanese? Can't really seem to find much on google so I'm assuming it's just a kid saying things a bit weirdly, but I thought I'd check here haha.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is "ten days/tenth day" written as とおか instead of とうか ? Is there a difference in pronunciation ?

Hexxen-panda

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

So I'm about to finish the 2nd volume of Genki, and I've heard that it gets you most of the way to N4 level. Since there's a JLPT this December, I'm thinking that I could review both volumes while also catching up to the supposed gap between Genki 2 and the N4 level tests. Is that possible?
Originally, my plan was to jump to the "Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" after Genki while supplementing it with material I've searched up in the web (podcasts, flashcards, and the like).

Is N4 achievable at this level, or should I sit this one out?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Hello everyone,

So I'm about to finish the 2nd volume of Genki, and I've heard that it gets you most of the way to N4 level. Since there's a JLPT this December, I'm thinking that I could review both volumes while also catching up to the supposed gap between Genki 2 and the N4 level tests. Is that possible?
Originally, my plan was to jump to the "Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese" after Genki while supplementing it with material I've searched up in the web (podcasts, flashcards, and the like).

Is N4 achievable at this level, or should I sit this one out?
There's a lot of time until December, so I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. Worst case scenario, you'll have learned a bunch of new stuff which will be useful :D

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Why is "ten days/tenth day" written as とおか instead of とうか ? Is there a difference in pronunciation ?
My understanding is that there used to be distinct pronunciations between between things like ou/oo and ii/ie, but they've been lost over time, and the writing has been standardized to favour writing it one way over the other. So it's not pronounced differently, and it's just written differently as some historical quirk. A little like the は particle being written differently than how it's pronounced.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So this might be a weird question, but I recently picked up Genki I again after a long time. As a result, my knowledge of previous lessons are largely all over the place; I was in the beginning of chapter 6.

Are there tests of some sort online where I can assess my abilities? How should I approach this before moving onto the new material?