• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
So this might be a weird question, but I recently picked up Genki I again after a long time. As a result, my knowledge of previous lessons are largely all over the place; I was in the beginning of chapter 6.

Are there tests of some sort online where I can assess my abilities? How should I approach this before moving onto the new material?
You might as well just read through the grammar pages again. If you recall the various points, just move forward; if not, maybe read that chapter again or do some exercises.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
i stopped writing shit down for like 3 weeks and my handwriting turned to ass, what the fk :(

hypron i totally forgot to link you, ill do it tonight, it's somewhere in my favourites

RTK ppl, how are you finding life after finishing your decks?

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Despair and misery.

In all seriousness: I still do my reps every day, though they're kinda stagnating. I have roughly 50 reps for RTK1 and 50 for RTK3 everyday, and it's not really getting any lower. I suspect RTK1 will eventually, but RTK3 is harder since I'm not as familiar with those kanji, and I don't encounter them that often in the wild (obviously). Right now the main challenge is to fix those kanji that have become leeches. I need to rewrite their stories. Failing that, I might have to resort to a bit of drilling just for those few kanji I can't get into my head otherwise. Or drop them entirely if I really can't do it, and just memorize them in context as I read more manga and books. That's what you're supposed to do eventually anyway.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
damnit i need to get back to actually reading japanese. maintenance is... well and good but it really doesn't do anything as much as reading does

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
i stopped writing shit down for like 3 weeks and my handwriting turned to ass, what the fk :(

hypron i totally forgot to link you, ill do it tonight, it's somewhere in my favourites

No problem, thanks! I still haven't written that rtk summary so I can't say anything haha

It's going all right. I probably have around 80 cards to review a day on average, and it's been (slowly) decreasing. I find that my correct answer rate seems to be mainly dependent on how tired I am when I do the reviews though. It ranges anywhere between 75 and 95%, mainly depending on how I'm feeling that day. Like, the other day I got 4 hours of sleep and forgot how to write 妹 lol.

I'm taking care of hard to remember Kanji by adding a Japanese word to the front of the card. For example, my worst leech was 褒 until I added 'ほめる' to the front - haven't gotten it wrong since.

But yeah, overall it's been pretty useful, I encounter so many words I don't know but can easily guess because of it.

Otherwise, I've been taking it somewhat easy to be honest when it comes to actively studying stuff. I create 5 new sentence cards a day and watch anywhere from 1 to 3 hours of anime a day, plus some passive listening. I almost exclusively look stuff up in J->J dictionaries too, it's progressively becoming easier as I learn more words.

I still have a long way to go though.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i should probably start using j-j dictionaries. I should've ramped up to it when i wasn't adding like 50 words to my list every week tho

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I am also mostrly doing "maintenance". RTK is going decently well; like Kilrogg, RTK1 is pretty good overall, while there are a lot of RTK3 kanji which are sorta there. I'm not that bothered by it, I have a decent grasp of them and they'll get better after I see them a couple of times in the wild.
I haven't been doing too much besides that though (after reading part of Your Name and Hyouka). Part of it is that I feel they might be a bit too much above my level; as in, I have to stop a bit too often to try and understand the sentences, so progress is slow. Which is expected, but it makes it a bit tougher. I should probably check something that I haven't read/watched beforehand, so that I have the incentive of going forward. The other part is that it's still summer vacations, and the lack of a routine kind of hurts my overall progress. As soon as class starts again I'll go back to doing it regularly as I was.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i should probably start using j-j dictionaries. I should've ramped up to it when i wasn't adding like 50 words to my list every week tho

You should absolutely do J-J dictionaries as soon as you have a somewhat decent understanding of the language. It will absolutely accelerate your learning if you make sure to look everything up.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Do you guys think it might be a good idea to prepare vocab cards in "batches" and then add them to reviews gradually every day? I'm asking mostly because they take a lot of time to make, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do enough each day.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Do you guys think it might be a good idea to prepare vocab cards in "batches" and then add them to reviews gradually every day? I'm asking mostly because they take a lot of time to make, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do enough each day.

Sometimes I make more (usually just an extra day's worth) on the weekend in case there's a day during the week I don't have time.

Making the card is essentially a review already, so you don't absolutely need to study the card on the same day. As long as you don't create cards too many days in advance I don't think it'd be an issue. You just don't want to come across the card for the first time in Anki and have no recollection of making it lol.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You should absolutely do J-J dictionaries as soon as you have a somewhat decent understanding of the language. It will absolutely accelerate your learning if you make sure to look everything up.

I've been trying to do that more often and it is getting better to understand J-J dictionaries or even read grammar explanations by natives. I've started learning linguistic words to get more out of J-J dictionaries (words like 動詞、名詞 etc).

So where do you get your vocab from? Don't you add vocab when you see/hear them?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017

yeah just new card 10-20 or whatever. I always add like 50-100 at a time and then dole them out over a week

but yeah don't seperate out point of origin and seeing it anki for the first time too much. You want to have the memory of encountering it in the wild fresh in your head, otherwise you'll lose the context for the word.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
So where do you get your vocab from? Don't you add vocab when you see/hear them?
I have been mostly reading on my Kindle, so I'm (ab)using the highlights; that way I have the whole sentence around it and even context if needed.

Jintor Hypron That sounds good. And yeah, I was thinking of doing a bunch during the weekend (with something interesting in the background), so there will never be more than a few days of gap.

Doing it like this I should be able to do my reviews and also read something everyday quite easily.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
nice, sounds like it has been pretty helpful so far. when you get the chance, you 3 should definitely work on a write up for the OT.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if this is Japanese, but if it is, could someone tell me what it says:

rYllnUR.jpg

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is Japanese, but if it is, could someone tell me what it says:

rYllnUR.jpg

Taken pretty literally, it would be "hopeless acting (talent) interview". You could probably make it sound more sensible though.

it's called
"Dame" Performance Interview
like an audition where shes being assessed on how well she can portray emotion when saying "dame"
だめ演技力面接 (if you wanna google it).
i'm ashamed of my words and deeds after having to write that out lol

i think this is a meme? it's a vid of a girl saying "dame" in different tones (embarrassed, like a robot, in a sexy voice)
i know of those TikTok memes on facebook, but didn't know it hit Japan too, got anymore? lmao

we need to talk about this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBw6HAHu47Q
where did you even find it? what's happening?

am i old now?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
it's called
like an audition where shes being assessed on how well she can portray emotion when saying "dame"
だめ演技力面接 (if you wanna google it).
i'm ashamed of my words and deeds after having to write that out lol

i think this is a meme? it's a vid of a girl saying "dame" in different tones (embarrassed, like a robot, in a sexy voice)
i know of those TikTok memes on facebook, but didn't know it hit Japan too, got anymore? lmao

am i old now?
If you download TikTok you can find many, many people from all over the world using the audio to record 15-second videos acting it out. They range from cute to cringey. Search for the #dame hashtag.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
After thorough investigation I've concluded that this meme originated in Japan
My YouTube algorithm is fairly wack now too

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
it's called

am i old now?

I certainly feel old watching this. Some memes are fun but I don't get how this one came to be.

3rd year of weekly post-work Japanese classes starts tomorrow!
I'm still shitttttttt :cry

諦めないで!

Three years sounds a lot, but when you say weekly and after work, then I wonder how much time you spent studying Japanese and what you've learned up to this point.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are ruining Japanese for me with these trash vids :(.

My YouTube algorithm is fairly wack now too

YouTube History > delete the culprits. Instantly cleans your algorithm. I do this every time I watch a video in English on my JP account out of guilt lol.

I certainly feel old watching this. Some memes are fun but I don't get how this one came to be.

Yyyyyup. I mean, I get the idea, it's a fairly common acting exercise, and it can be interesting. But the execution here isn't particularly funny, entertaining or impressive, so... give me that half minute of my life back? lol

[FAKE EDIT] And those "try not to laugh" challenges are completely baffling to me. Again, not in concept, but in execution: how is it a challenge when half of the clips are just people dancing and doing lip sync over sped-up songs with hamster voices?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I need an Android app to help me learn Kanji. I only started diving into it yesterday and the on- and kun- readings are already giving me a headache.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I need an Android app to help me learn Kanji. I only started diving into it yesterday and the on- and kun- readings are already giving me a headache.

I've heard good things about Wankani, although I just use Anki.

As I understand it, the kunyomi tends to be used when the word is just a kanji by itself, and the onyomi tends to be used when multiple kanji make up a word. So learning multiple words that use the kanji at once may make it easier.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
諦めないで!

Three years sounds a lot, but when you say weekly and after work, then I wonder how much time you spent studying Japanese and what you've learned up to this point.
Very little.
Yeah, it being once a week (and even at that, semestered) makes it hard to learn and retain that learning.

I've a few books, I do Wanikani and Duolingo, but really not half as studious as I need to be.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things about Wankani, although I just use Anki.

As I understand it, the kunyomi tends to be used when the word is just a kanji by itself, and the onyomi tends to be used when multiple kanji make up a word. So learning multiple words that use the kanji at once may make it easier.

I always see Anki come up, but I have NO idea what it is, what to download, or how you get started with it.

Any tips?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I always see Anki come up, but I have NO idea what it is, what to download, or how you get started with it.

Any tips?
Anki is a Spaced Repetition System, similar (as a general idea) to WaniKani. It is extremely customizable (maybe too much). You can change everything and make and personalize your cards.
To use it you just need to download either the app or the program (or even just use the website). You can also find shared decks, premade by others. They are pretty useful, especially as a starting point, but you should try making your own.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Learn words, not kanji, not only is it more efficient, but it's the natural way, the kanji will come in time.

That and the whole on and kun yomi doesn't always apply. There are enough exceptions where kun yomi is used with grouped kanji or you get different readings entirely. I feel that it's best to study kanji once you have learnt some words with their kanji to help you get familiar with the kanji and help with your immersion.

Very little.
Yeah, it being once a week (and even at that, semestered) makes it hard to learn and retain that learning.

I've a few books, I do Wanikani and Duolingo, but really not half as studious as I need to be.

Yeah, that certainly doesn't make it easy.

Which books do you use? About Duolingo, I hope you're aware that some readings are wrong with certain kanji. If you don't know the kanji beforehand, it might teach you wrong habits. Duolingo is handy for practicing the basics once you know what is right and wrong. You might also be interested in Lingodear (an app for smartphone). It's similar to Duolingo in structure but it focuses more on grammar (you can see explanations) and you have more freedom to exercise previously learned words/grammar. It starts slow but it teaches you things without mistakes from what I have seen based on a week.

Any tips?

It's basically learning words, grammar, kanji etc through decks. It's a free program on PC and an app version is available (the latter being paid). You can build your own decks or download decks made by others.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info on Anki.

Anyone have any suggestions for beginner decks to use? I'm browsing now and even that is overwhelming as hell.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Yyyyyup. I mean, I get the idea, it's a fairly common acting exercise, and it can be interesting. But the execution here isn't particularly funny, entertaining or impressive, so... give me that half minute of my life back? lol

[FAKE EDIT] And those "try not to laugh" challenges are completely baffling to me. Again, not in concept, but in execution: how is it a challenge when half of the clips are just people dancing and doing lip sync over sped-up songs with hamster voices?

you old bro this shit is fire

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
any advice on j-j dictionary apps that don't cost like $30 on the android store? targeted at young students is a plus. some kinda 国語辞書 or some such thing

my teacher brought out a giant brick of a dictionary from kodansha but i was like 'uhhhh i probably would put that on a bookshelf and never look at it'

gotta get an app cos thats what i actually use

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
any advice on j-j dictionary apps that don't cost like $30 on the android store? targeted at young students is a plus. some kinda 国語辞書 or some such thing

my teacher brought out a giant brick of a dictionary from kodansha but i was like 'uhhhh i probably would put that on a bookshelf and never look at it'

Curated and edited dictionary apps tend to be expensive due to the nature of the product (premium product requiring a lot of editing work with a small userbase). 20-30 bucks is very much on the low end, and there isn't really anything available for less than that which isn't free (and lower quality). I can't speak to android apps specifically, but 大辞林 is a very good dictionary (not as exhaustive or precise as some, but quite readable), and tends to be among the cheapest options among "real" dictionary apps - I guess their licensing fees are lower.

There's also a dearth of dictionary apps for young learners, because they don't tend to have smart devices. There are a couple for iPhones which have the worst UI I've ever seen, and one exclusively for iPad which is actually extremely good, but those are the only ones I've seen, and it looks like there's not really anything on Android from a cursory search.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Curated and edited dictionary apps tend to be expensive due to the nature of the product (premium product requiring a lot of editing work with a small userbase). 20-30 bucks is very much on the low end, and there isn't really anything available for less than that which isn't free (and lower quality). I can't speak to android apps specifically, but 大辞林 is a very good dictionary (not as exhaustive or precise as some, but quite readable), and tends to be among the cheapest options among "real" dictionary apps - I guess their licensing fees are lower.

There's also a dearth of dictionary apps for young learners, because they don't tend to have smart devices. There are a couple for iPhones which have the worst UI I've ever seen, and one exclusively for iPad which is actually extremely good, but those are the only ones I've seen, and it looks like there's not really anything on Android from a cursory search.

you make good points

thanks butts

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Something to keep in mind is that the dictionary title is the content of the app, while the presentation is done by the app developer. There are often two or more apps for a given dictionary by different devs, so look around and see what UIs appeal to you, and don't assume that because one app looks like trash the next app will be no different.

EDIT:

Here are two 大辞林 apps, for comparison.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.kgc.android.oneswingviewer.WSANN003G
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.ne.biglobe.daijirin.gp

I much prefer the second one, by Biglobe, of the two of them.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If you want something good, you got to pay for it. I am partial to the スーパー大辞林 by 物書堂, I also use 大辞泉 by 小学館.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
My college started offering japJapan this year, so after doing memrise for a year I joined Japanese 1 and I appreciate the classroom environment so much more

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy

I have been using EBDict, but it's just a "base", you have to get the dictionary files elsewhere. I may or may not know where to get those. It's pretty customizable though, even though the settings aren't the most clear around. Once it's set it works well enough though, and you'll have more than one dictionary to reference.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's weird, Netflix JP used to have subtitles for shows like 進撃の巨人 and 天狼 day and date but now you gotta wait a week for them to be released. On the other hand バキ still gets them day and date so it seems to be on a per show basis.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
i could only find raws for the first 5 eps of 小さなの巨人 unfortunately, do you still want them?
the last 5 eps are the best tho :(

in other news, i was gonna make a post here a few weeks ago about how i'd completely lost my mojo but i think i've gotten it back. gotta say, never would have thought learning a language would be such a struggle like this. there have been some dark times.